HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Dale Weise - Total Beauty

Old
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Peter Bazooka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugginThePost View Post
I believe there is evidence to support his case.....to lazy to find it.
More like you don't want to post the clip because it makes Thornton look like a tool for claiming that he was speared. Burrows puts his stick up near his face. A lame move but nowhere as malicious as exaggerated.

Peter Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
flack

for a guy who scored the lone goal in florida, he only got 6 minutes of ice time.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
HugginThePost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bazooka View Post
More like you don't want to post the clip because it makes Thornton look like a tool for claiming that he was speared. Burrows puts his stick up near his face. A lame move but nowhere as malicious as exaggerated.
Sweet Jezus......there was a photo of Burrows' stick in the general vicinity of Thorton's throat. Where did I say it was malicious? I said there was a photo that appeared to make it look like he wasn't talking out his a$$. It was being said that Thorton's claim was a lie and there was no proof that it ever happened.

Did it touch him? Maybe. Did it cause great harm? Clearly no. Could it have? Sure.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not if you ask Don Cherry!

Why would Weise fight Thornton, it had nothing to do with the game at all, it was a smart play, one he should not have gotten a penalty for.

So if you throw your gloves on the ice, does the guy your glove lands closest to get 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike?

NHL=BUSH LEAGUE
This one was a weird penalty to me.

Then I read that stuff like this happens to Boston alot?
Is it really true? What is the consensus on this?

edit (read my own post.. wanna clarify)

I mean that the refs seem to support the Boston rough play?

Last edited by PuckMunchkin: 01-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
HugginThePost

This was the shot......you can see his stick blade clearly in the region of Thorton's throat.

Maybe it gets him.....maybe it doesn't.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Basso

Not bad for a rookie! I like the kid. Good 4th liner with 3rd line potential.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
I have been very critical of the lack of toughness the Canucks have shown this season but credit must be given where its due. Weise isn't much of a fighter but hes always there to have his teammates back, he sticks up for himself he doesn't totally suck on the 4th line and best of all he doesn't take stupid penalties. Kind of a ***** move with the Thornton challenge but he did just have a great tilt with Horton
Bolded is bang-on. Add that he is still young, and may have legit 3rd - line upside down the road.

As far as the Thornton thing goes, we don't actually know if Weise would've dropped the gloves, because Thornton didn't wait for the whistle - making Weise think that Thornton would "draw his own penalty". If Thornton waits until the drop of the puck - Weise may very well have dropped the gloves. A smart move by Weise is being ridiculed by our own fans

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugginThePost View Post

This was the shot......you can see his stick blade clearly in the region of Thorton's throat.

Maybe it gets him.....maybe it doesn't.
What a vicous spear! Thornton narrowly escaped serious injury on that. Good thing his throat heals fast like Wolverine, otherwise there might have been a scratch during his post-game interview....

good thing Burrows has fully recovered from that wicked slash to his wrist.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Bolded is bang-on. Add that he is still young, and may have legit 3rd - line upside down the road.

As far as the Thornton thing goes, we don't actually know if Weise would've dropped the gloves, because Thornton didn't wait for the whistle - making Weise think that Thornton would "draw his own penalty". If Thornton waits until the drop of the puck - Weise may very well have dropped the gloves. A smart move by Weise is being ridiculed by our own fans
It's not their fault, Don Cherry said if he wants to be an enforcer he has to fight Thornton (even though he fought his previous shift), as Canadians we have to believe it, right?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:58 PM
flack

Last 2 games why did Dale Weise only get 6-7 minutes of ice time?

He better pick up his game.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Last 2 games why did Dale Weise only get 6-7 minutes of ice time?

He better pick up his game.
I think he only averages 8 minutes a game, so it's not that different than usual. A more inexperienced than usual 4th line (now that Duco's been called up) probably isn't going to get much time on the road.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Actually Cherry should have been blasting Thornton! IT's part of the code you don't fight someone who's already fought in the game!!
No it isn't. Where did you get that idea?

The "code" decrees one thing above all - if you say you're going to drop the gloves, you drop the gloves. You don't pretend to in hopes of goading your opponent into a penalty. Sorry, but that is bush.

And as for "moving up a weight class," Weise and Thornton are the same size. "Moving up" would have Weise facing off against Lucic.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

The "code" decrees one thing above all - if you say you're going to drop the gloves, you drop the gloves. You don't pretend to in hopes of goading your opponent into a penalty. Sorry, but that is bush.

And as for "moving up a weight class," Weise and Thornton are the same size. "Moving up" would have Weise facing off against Lucic.
The puck never dropped.

Thornton should have received the only two....

The "code" is a bunch of crap anyways, enforcers aren't supposed to go after first liners.

Thornton went after Burrows....the code is a convenient excuse to play like a buffoon...

Old
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Got a request to reopen this.

Let's keep the talk about Weise and what he brings to the Canucks please.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 01-13-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
moog35

Weise played pretty good on the road trip, he scored in Florida and won 2 fights, not a bad road trip from a waiver wire pick up

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Weise played pretty good on the road trip, he scored in Florida and won 2 fights, not a bad road trip from a waiver wire pick up
A "rookie" waiver wire pickup.

He has untapped offensive upside that is evident.

I like him, that said Im all for upgrading his spot and having him be a depth player, but I have no concerns with him being a regular 4th line winger on this team now, in the playoffs, and the future.

He's a good player.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Has improved fighting ability.

Guy no longer tries to get his face as far away as possible from the fight; good strategy. I think that Bruins game did a lot for his confidence as he dealt with the physical side of the most physical team in the league pretty well. Definitely a good road trip; has upside.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Has improved fighting ability.

Guy no longer tries to get his face as far away as possible from the fight; good strategy. I think that Bruins game did a lot for his confidence as he dealt with the physical side of the most physical team in the league pretty well. Definitely a good road trip; has upside.
Yes, I made the same point in yesterdays GDT. He's actually figured out how to not block with this face and has done much better in his recent fights. I guess it's like anything with a young player, there are adjustments and lessons to be learned at the NHL level, even when it comes to fighting.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Yes, I made the same point in yesterdays GDT. He's actually figured out how to not block with this face and has done much better in his recent fights. I guess it's like anything with a young player, there are adjustments and lessons to be learned at the NHL level, even when it comes to fighting.
He's got the skill to land, but I'm not sure he has much in the way of power. He tagged Crombeen a few times flush and it didn't seem to phase him that much.

Also love the fact he gave his stick to a young girl as he walked down the tunnel with the team.

And I agree with the speculation that there is some untapped offensive potential there.

Last edited by AndyPipkin: 01-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Also love the fact he gave his stick to a young girl as he walked down the tunnel with the team.
"Daddy Daddy, that hockey man gave me his stick!"

"Thats great sweetheart, you can take it for show and tell tomorrow and tell everyone that Dal.... Daniel Sedin gave you his stick after the game."

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
"Daddy Daddy, that hockey man gave me his stick!"

"Thats great sweetheart, you can take it for show and tell tomorrow and tell everyone that Dal.... Daniel Sedin gave you his stick after the game."

"Then why does it say Dale Weise on it???" <That would be her crying

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Tiranis

I think a lot of people underrated him before this road trip. He's still a rookie this year and he's clearly showing that with proper development there's some upside there. Our pro scouting did a good job finding him.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think a lot of people underrated him before this road trip. He's still a rookie this year and he's clearly showing that with proper development there's some upside there. Our pro scouting did a good job finding him.
Yeah, right now he's playing at about the level of most of the run of the mill fourth liners the Canucks have run through the fourth line that last few seasons, but he's also 23, a rookie, and has a good track record of putting up points at the AHL level.

If he can pick up his defensive game, I can definitely see him turning into a decent third line player or at the very least, the type of fourth liner you can feel comfortable moving up to the third line in times of need.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:58 AM
vanboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

F the code. Boston plays with no code. This whole thing is blown out of proportion. Thornton bs saying it was 7 on 1, made it sound like 7 guys had their gloves off pounding him , just a bit , a tiny bit of exaggeration maybe lol the guy makes it sounds like he's rocky fighting off 7 guys in an alley. what a joke...lol

vanboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:14 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

What I love about Weise? He's a pretty smart player and doesn't take lots of unnecessary penalties. That is very important if you're going to play in Van's 4th line.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote