HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Dale Weise - Total Beauty

Old
01-14-2012, 02:43 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
I like Weise's energy, and he's willing to finish checks as well. As mentioned, he'll have his teammates backs, which goes a long way to gaining respect from your fellow teammates in the dressing room.

The fact that he's still only a rookie makes me happy inside.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Scurr

vCash: 500
I wonder how much a guy like this works on fighting. It's definitely something you can get better at if you really wanted to.

Rypein was an awesome fighter. He used his boxing background and adapted it really well for hockey fighting. He kept his hands up and in front of his face and threw fast, straight, accurate punches with both hands. It's good core and stamina training as well.

I'm sure there are some guys doing what they can to be better fighters. I know if I was in Weise shoes I definitely would.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:16 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I wonder how much a guy like this works on fighting. It's definitely something you can get better at if you really wanted to.

Rypein was an awesome fighter. He used his boxing background and adapted it really well for hockey fighting. He kept his hands up and in front of his face and threw fast, straight, accurate punches with both hands. It's good core and stamina training as well.

I'm sure there are some guys doing what they can to be better fighters. I know if I was in Weise shoes I definitely would.
The problem with Rypien was he was awful at hockey, unlike Dale Weise, give me a hockey player who fights but loses over a fighter who sucks at hockey any day.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:

Rypien really spoiled us. Miss you buddy.

Now I have to say, holy crap! I had no idea Weise was a rookie. Colour me even more impressed.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:27 PM
wandk128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
I love how he pulled out of the thornton fight.

Why should canucks middleweight fight a heavyweight.

Seriously the bruins crying the canucks are not tough, but pick lopsided fights?

If anything Thornton's IQ should be in question.
Nobody had a problem if he didn't want to fight Thornton. The issue was with agreeing to go and then trying to draw Thornton into a penalty. Simply decline if you don't want to go.

wandk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:28 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandk128 View Post
Nobody had a problem if he didn't want to fight Thornton. The issue was with agreeing to go and then trying to draw Thornton into a penalty. Simply decline if you don't want to go.
Did Marchand not clear this up for you?

Old
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandk128 View Post
Not what happened. He was asking Mcquaid to fight. Then thornton ambushed him. Marchand confirmed this and even called it sneaky by Thornton.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Did Marchand not clear this up for you?
Apparently not.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Apparently not.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Crows*

Quote:
He probably couldn't hear what Marchand said because his voice was so nasally .

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
The problem with Rypien was he was awful at hockey, unlike Dale Weise, give me a hockey player who fights but loses over a fighter who sucks at hockey any day.
He didn't suck at hockey. He played with bad line mates on our 4th line here or was played out of position at centre and was over his head there. He wasn't as gifted offensively as Weise seems to be, but he could skate, hit and had decent hands. Scored some nice goals in the show. RIP Ryper.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:02 PM
moog35

Quote:

Rypien was tough, not just a good fighter but tough, meaning he would take on anyone and seemed to enjoy fighting. Weise on the other hand is not really that tough and not that great of a fighter, he seems like the kind of player that fights not because he likes it but because he realizes its something he needs to do to stay up in the NHL.

I have just as much respect for a guy like Wesie who sucks at fighting but does it for the team and because he knows he has to, as i do for Rypien who also did it for his teammates but was a great fighter who provided many entertaining fights and one sided beatings during his time in Vancouver.

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Rypien was tough, not just a good fighter but tough, meaning he would take on anyone and seemed to enjoy fighting. Weise on the other hand is not really that tough and not that great of a fighter, he seems like the kind of player that fights not because he likes it but because he realizes its something he needs to do to stay up in the NHL.

I have just as much respect for a guy like Wesie who sucks at fighting but does it for the team and because he knows he has to, as i do for Rypien who also did it for his teammates but was a great fighter who provided many entertaining fights and one sided beatings during his time in Vancouver.
I agree with this, Weise is not going to change his nature. He can learn to throw proper punches though and a little grappling wouldn't hurt.

Hockey fights are about landing more than the other guy. Throwing short, straight punches is the best way to do it. It helps a lot if you can do it with both hands like Rypien could.

Old
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
I hope that Weise develops into more than just a 4th liner who needs to fight to stay in the lineup. He's got the smarts and some offensive acumen too IMO.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Weise is actually a respectable hockey player who has contributed well in his role. I'm certainly not actively advocating removing him from the lineup, but with the deadline approaching, if a potential upgrade comes available I'd like to see MG shoot for it.

All that said, Weise has been very good value as a waiver-wire pickup, and he is miles better as a player than most of the accumulated crapola we've seen over the last few years on the fourth line. He seems like a quality guy, too, which is always important in the Vancouver locker room.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:20 AM
The Big Foot

I gotta say that was the best game I remember Weise having all season. Really stepped it up, and played as well as Bitz has been playing.

There's a lot to be said for some healthy competition in the lineup. That fourth line for the most part had a strong presence. Going forward, if Bitz gets healthy and Weise keeps the fire burning, we are in pretty good shape.

Weise showed good patience with the puck last night and was rewarded. He ended up with 1 assist but was so close to having a couple more. Good game.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:45 AM
VanTampaFan

Agreed a little internal competition for that last roster spot won't hurt anyone

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Karl Hungus

Weise is a better hockey player than we are used to having on the 4th line. It was great to see him have a strong game last night.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
AndyPipkin

Weise and Bitz sure are duking it out for the last spot. Love it.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:54 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Weise and Bitz sure are duking it out for the last spot. Love it.
...and Duco has provided secondary competition as well.

Im fully comfortable with the forward group this team has heading into the playoffs.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
F A N

Quote:
Hockey fights are about landing more than the other guy. Throwing short, straight punches is the best way to do it.
Not true. It's like most other fights. You can win by KO or you can outpoint the other guy. Hurt the other guy more and it goes a long way to outpointing him. You can throw short straight punches all you want, but if you get knocked down by a haymaker you lost the fight.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:19 PM
dangerous dan

What a game last night from Weise! Should have been a 3 point night. It's really refreshing to have a 4th line that can do more than kill 7 minutes of time while you cross your fingers they don't get eaten alive.

dangerous dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:32 PM
moog35

This thread needs to be bumped with Weise's recent play, stud in the Dutch league, playing well in the first 2 and now getting bumped up to the second line, what a beauty!

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
How do you say 'The Great One' in Dutch?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Weise, the new perfect fit for the Sedins

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote