HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

randy cunneyworth

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2004, 11:22 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

vCash: 500
randy cunneyworth

he seems to catch a lot of flak on this board
in the eyes of his critics, what is it that makes him a bad coach?

Old
10-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
he seems to catch a lot of flak on this board
in the eyes of his critics, what is it that makes him a bad coach?
My beefs with Cunneyworth revolve around how players are utilized. It's mind-boggling to think that guys like Tallinder, Kotalik, and Pyatt go through tutelage at his hand, play poorly and yet seem to be completely different players when they get recalled to the Sabres. Cunneyworth seems to preach how he played, and there isn't a lot of room for anything else but hard backchecking and filling ones' lane as a forward. Defense... well... there is no one stocked out down there so we get no real idea about how well a blueliner develops beyond Tallinder seeming like a different man once he hit Buffalo.

I wonder at his ability to teach fundamentals, his specialty teams, and bringing out any sort of offensive ability.

10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
He's absolutely horrible at developing Europeans.

I don't think he's a player liked coach. There's always been rumors of the Amerks lockerroom being divided, and that's usually what you get when a majority of the people don't like the coach.

Old
10-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 848
Cunneyworth is coaching the system dictated by Regier. Regier doesn't feel they can afford the offensive talent needed to win in the current economics of the game so they want their prospects to develop with a defense-first philosophy. It's drilled into their heads that they can't compete in a wide open game with the opposition. I think they're wrong, and it makes for very boring hockey. Hopefully this attitude will change with a new CBA.

Old
10-12-2004, 01:20 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Cunneyworth is coaching the system dictated by Regier. Regier doesn't feel they can afford the offensive talent needed to win in the current economics of the game so they want their prospects to develop with a defense-first philosophy. It's drilled into their heads that they can't compete in a wide open game with the opposition. I think they're wrong, and it makes for very boring hockey. Hopefully this attitude will change with a new CBA.
Though if you think about our core of forwards coming up, and even somewhat of an offensive "surge" we had last year, the team is moving in the direction of offense. I haven't checked stats to back this up, but it seems to me last year that we definitely scored alot more goals (vs. the league average) than we have in the past 6-7 years that I've been watching the Sabres (I started watching when Mogilny left).

With guys like Vanek, Roy, Pominville, etc. coming up, I think the offense will bloom whether Darcy likes it or not. But hey, who knows...with a new CBA and Golisano's deep pockets, he could rethink the strategy. Unlikely, but we can dream....

Closed Thread