HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

And the dirtiest team in the league is.....

View Poll Results: The dirtiest team in the league is....
Vancouver 227 25.53%
Boston 549 61.75%
Chicago 3 0.34%
Anaheim 14 1.57%
Rangers 5 0.56%
New Jersey 1 0.11%
San Jose 5 0.56%
Nashville 3 0.34%
Dallas 10 1.12%
Washington 1 0.11%
Philly 27 3.04%
Pittsburgh 14 1.57%
Los Angeles 3 0.34%
Colorado 5 0.56%
Other 22 2.47%
Voters: 889. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Voting VCR so it's not a total wash for BOS.
BOS is good dirty, VCR is diving, biting, whining, victimhood through being speedbagged dirty.

What exactly about their dirty play is good? The fact that they're good at making dirty plays?

Old
01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
What exactly is "good dirty"?

Is it like a murderer who gets away with killing someone? It's a dirty act but good for the murderer because he gets away?

Old
01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
?

Aside from the last one, we've seen all those things from Boston as well...
Everyteam has done it at one point, the Canucks are just the best at it.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Boston AINEC. They get away with giving out concussions, blatantly running goalies, and breaking players backs. IMO there's nothing dirtier than the cheapshots that lead to a players back being broken.

01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
reffree

Found that! Still a lot missing, but funny enough

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W8l2ucJ-62s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/W8l2ucJ-62s

Old
01-08-2012, 04:16 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
You guys thump your chest over these types of play.
This is the same type of stupid whacks and hacks that make the Bruins so 'tough'. All teams do it, but the Bruins take it to a whole new level and they know they can get away with it. You guys have players running around taking liberties with a false sense of toughness because they have guys like Chara, McQuaid, Lucic and Thornton to cover their *****.
Who other than Marchand plays cheap and can't back it up? Marchand clearly is a problem. Also Lucic at times (although he is tough). Cases can be made for Chara/McQuaid as well, but you listed them. Marchand seems to be the only rat they have to protect. Non-fighters (Seguin/Bergeron/Krejci/Kelly/Pevs) all keep the talk to the minimum and I can't recall ever throwing a dirty hit.

Quote:
I'm not complaining about the outcome, it's the intent and action. But if you do want to look out outcome, I guess you wouldn't be one to defend Marchand's duck yesterday?
You honestly think Thomas had serious intent on that play? Obviously intent plays a role, but Thomas was mad and gave Manny a jab. Could have hit him in the face if he wanted to hurt him, but instead gave a jab to the chest. Marchand's play you have to go by intent also IMO. Salo was upright which is why he was injured IMO. Doesn't make what the rat did right, but it made the outcome worse. Marchand basically had possession and went for Salo's knees. Dirty play. No reason to go after Salo, intent was to obviously table top a player who couldn't have seen that coming. Enjoyed when he tossed Sedin like that last year, as he had a reason to. Sedin was taking a run at him after the whistle and he defended himself. This time he had no reason and it cost his team the game and will cost him quite a bit of money when he misses games.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
What exactly is "good dirty"?

Is it like a murderer who gets away with killing someone? It's a dirty act but good for the murderer because he gets away?
I have been saying this for a while. Good dirty is what every hockey has done before: look to inflict pain. Bad dirty is looking to injure. What I loved about Lucic is that he played dirty in a good way up until I saw him try to knee McKenzie. Then guys like Cooke try to get players out of the game.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:26 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Who other than Marchand plays cheap and can't back it up? Marchand clearly is a problem. Also Lucic at times (although he is tough). Cases can be made for Chara/McQuaid as well, but you listed them. Marchand seems to be the only rat they have to protect. Non-fighters (Seguin/Bergeron/Krejci/Kelly/Pevs) all keep the talk to the minimum and I can't recall ever throwing a dirty hit.
Those are exactly the players I m talking about (aside from Bergeron, but include Pouliot, Ference, even Horton to an extent and others) they run around after the whistle giving extra shots and take runs at people during the play, but any time anything happens on the ice, they let Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton jump in and protect them. It's smart of them, but it's an inflated sense of team toughness that the Bruins have jumped onto, as well as the media and fans.

Those guys, when they were on their old teams played the game straight and didn't engage any more than the normal player. Put them on the B's and now they think they are part of the "Big Bad Bruins".

Old
01-08-2012, 04:37 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Those are exactly the players I m talking about (aside from Bergeron, but include Pouliot, Ference, even Horton to an extent and others) they run around after the whistle giving extra shots and take runs at people during the play, but any time anything happens on the ice, they let Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton jump in and protect them. It's smart of them, but it's an inflated sense of team toughness that the Bruins have jumped onto, as well as the media and fans.
Ference and Horton are capable of fighting for themselves. So I didn't include them. Krejci/Kelly/Peverley/Pouliot almost never go looking for fights. Honestly sounds like you are making that up. They only get involved when the team is involved. Like almost any other player.

Quote:
Those guys, when they were on their old teams played the game straight and didn't engage any more than the normal player. Put them on the B's and now they think they are part of the "Big Bad Bruins".
Horton is the only guy that you could consider like that. He seems to have turned into a lot like Lucic. Only problem I have with that is that he takes stupid penalties like Lucic. Players may be more willing to fight because players like Lucic become heroes in Boston, but its not to the effect you think. People (me included) thought Horton would throw his weight around more here, but he still isn't too physical. Gets into the occasional fight and seems to feed off Lucic's emotions. While players like Lucic/Neely are loved here. So are players like Bergeron (who I consider Lady Byng "calibre"). You are over selling this here.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:39 PM
ziploc

Quote:
BOS is good dirty, VCR is diving, biting, whining, victimhood through being speedbagged dirty.
Back to "good" dirty and "bad" dirty. Let's overlook the fact, for a moment, that the Bruins dive and whine as much if not more than any other team. They will like most teams do whatever they can to get an advantage (see the third period of yesterday's game. Relentless Bruins diving, as the refs were actually making calls). They also very recently had a guy who bit someone.

But aside from that, this "good" dirty play by the Bruins injures people. They play over the line in a way that puts people out of the game, not just through hard play, but through cheap shots. The Canucks have put a few people out as well over the last few years (Horton and Hordichuk come to mind), but generally are being called out for agitating in the attempt to get penalties called. You may not like that, I don't personally care, but it is a legit strategy, and it doesn't actually injure people.

Your "good" "bad" categories are not objective, they are entirely subjective. You prefer dirty play that injures people.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
This poll should have 1 option: Boston...

Notice the time left in the game... shouldn't be a surprise really!

Old
01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Ference and Horton are capable of fighting for themselves. So I didn't include them. Krejci/Kelly/Peverley/Pouliot almost never go looking for fights. Honestly sounds like you are making that up. They only get involved when the team is involved. Like almost any other player.

Horton is the only guy that you could consider like that. He seems to have turned into a lot like Lucic. Only problem I have with that is that he takes stupid penalties like Lucic. Players may be more willing to fight because players like Lucic become heroes in Boston, but its not to the effect you think. People (me included) thought Horton would throw his weight around more here, but he still isn't too physical. Gets into the occasional fight and seems to feed off Lucic's emotions. While players like Lucic/Neely are loved here. So are players like Bergeron (who I consider Lady Byng "calibre"). You are over selling this here.
Bergeron is great, lots of respect for him. But Krejci, hardly a goon or anything, was cross checking and trying to provoke one of the Sedins last game after the Marchand low bridge on Salo. Why? There is no reason for it, Krecji is a great player without it. Seems to be something of a culture there, but you are right, it can be overblown.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:43 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I have been saying this for a while. Good dirty is what every hockey has done before: look to inflict pain. Bad dirty is looking to injure. What I loved about Lucic is that he played dirty in a good way up until I saw him try to knee McKenzie. Then guys like Cooke try to get players out of the game.
You cannot be "good dirty". Dirty is dirty. It's playing outside of the rules in an attempt to either gain an undeserved advantage (cheating), or going beyond being physical to win a game and trying to hurt people instead. "Good dirty" in this case is a contraction.

Looking to inflict pain (without the intent to injure) is physicality, not "good dirty".

Old
01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
sanitysrequiem

Boston. They don't deserve the classiness of Patrice Bergeron.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
This poll should have 1 option: Boston...

Notice the time left in the game... shouldn't be a surprise really!
Also notice the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Bergeron is great, lots of respect for him. But Krejci, hardly a goon or anything, was cross checking and trying to provoke one of the Sedins last game after the Marchand low bridge on Salo. Why? There is no reason for it, Krecji is a great player without it. Seems to be something of a culture there, but you are right, it can be overblown.
Didn't notice that. But a little shoving after a whistle hardly proves that the Boston culture has worn off on him. Has DSedin been taken in by Vancouver's culture because he took a run at Marchand after his clothesline on Ehrhoff? No, its just hockey players being prone to getting physical after the whistle. Happens with every player. Maybe not as often as Lucic/Horton and their off tempers, but it happens. Players like Krejci/Kelly on the team still aren't looking for fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You cannot be "good dirty". Dirty is dirty. It's playing outside of the rules in an attempt to either gain an undeserved advantage (cheating), or going beyond being physical to win a game and trying to hurt people instead. "Good dirty" in this case is a contraction.

Looking to inflict pain (without the intent to injure) is physicality, not "good dirty".
Disagree. You can have intent to injure and do so legally. Just as you can illegally try to "only" inflict pain.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Proud to be a fan of the "dirtiest" team in the NHL. Haters gonna hate.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
Who on St. Louis is dirty? Backes is one of the cleanest hitters in the league. Jackman is rough, but keeps all extra curricular below the waste. Are they more overtly physical than teams on this list? Almost all but 1 or 2...but, they're not even close to being the dirtiest team in the West.

I'm not trying to be confrontational as much as just being curious...
not talking about specific players,just in general

wouldn't really say they are the dirtiest either but Nashville's on the list and personally I tend to view St. Louis as a dirtier Nashville(not that I would call Nashville dirty really)

so I guess you could say I think they should be on it in large part because Nashville is

Old
01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicryptic View Post
Boston. They don't deserve the classiness of Patrice Bergeron.
Sucks because in 6 years he'll be the Captain.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
Dirty good: Breaking backs, decapitating player heads
Dirty bad: hair pulling, biting
What a load of crap. Those were unfortunate accidents. It really burns me up when people make up things and state them as a fact.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Wow, time to change your pullups and put on some big boy pants...it's a violent sport.
That's what Aaron Rome said to Nathan Horton.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
serge2k

Quote:
boston was diving all over the place yesterday and they have a biter

Old
01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

I chose Boston. Being a big, fast, physical, awesome team means being dirty in today's NHL and that's AOK by me.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Also notice the year.

Didn't notice that. But a little shoving after a whistle hardly proves that the Boston culture has worn off on him. Has DSedin been taken in by Vancouver's culture because he took a run at Marchand after his clothesline on Ehrhoff? No, its just hockey players being prone to getting physical after the whistle. Happens with every player. Maybe not as often as Lucic/Horton and their off tempers, but it happens. Players like Krejci/Kelly on the team still aren't looking for fights.

Well, normally I'd assume they weren't. But in this case Sedin had nothing to do with the play, and Krecji cross checked him. It's one thing to go after a cheap shot artist immediately after he has finished cheap shotting someone (ie. Marchand) it is another to take hacks and whacks at players after a whistle just because, well, just because. I don't think Krecji was looking for a fight. I think he was doing what it seems like most of the Bruins (a few excepted) do after just about every whistle. The Canucks have some players that do that to, as do most teams. Just seems like it is a culture for the Bruins, and it has worked for them.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:47 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

It's Boston for sure! they need to clean up their act.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I chose Boston. Being a big, fast, physical, awesome team means being dirty in today's NHL and that's AOK by me.
No delivering dirty hits & making cheap plays is what makes you dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
That's what Aaron Rome said to Nathan Horton.
Via Text Message

Closed Thread