HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Look Ma! No goals!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2012, 08:30 AM
  #51
moltenlava26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Maybe someone can explain something I am confused about.

Over the years watching hockey, I have seen Goalies lose their sticks out of their hands for a number of reasons. I can assure you I have seen their teammates push those Goalie sticks toward their stickless Goalie. Sometimes the stick is 3 feet away, when this happens. Sometimes it's 6 feet, or 10 feet away. I have NEVER witnessed that player given a penalty for pushing a stick toward their goalie. I saw it tonight against Leopold. I understand there is a rule against this, but why after all times I've seen other teams do this (and ours), does Leopold get a penalty?

Have you seen this happen too?
I have seen exactly what you are talking about. Normally the stick is much closer, so it gets kicked or shot near them, so they can pick it up. What are the odds that the Sabres get the one set of refs that actually knows the rule? UGH

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:58 AM
  #52
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
of course....... but Miller is the horse Ruff plans to ride and after last night's royal ef up, he's got to play better.

And I really think the goaltender (and the play of the goaltender) is the most significant factor that contributes to the mental confidence of a team.

Sabres won't improve until the goaltending improves. (Yeah, there are lots of other problems too...scoring, d zone play, etc..... but every fluff goal scored against that should have been saved make a player's heart sink out there. And you soar when your goaltender plays like gold.)

Miller's the key..... And I'm desparate for something positive to happen.
I think he was just confused by the fact you're bringing up Miller in the post game thread of a game he didn't play in. I mean we're talking about the results of this game and goaltending wasn't an issue

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
  #53
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
...The just plain dumb
My friend was over for part of the game, and he mentioned how he didn't think Leo and Hecht were scoring enough...*insert rant about how hecht's value isn't found in stat sheet here* then later he mentioned he really liked how gaustad had been playing all year and said his offensive game was good...
New Years resolution: Get smarter friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
This. Finding it harder to care every game. I just don't even see the effort, the energy, the identity. Who are these guys? What is this team?

Boring.

It's not even all about the winning at this point for me. Of course I'd love to see SOME wins, but I'm more excited at the prospect of seeing an identity, and being able TO identify with it.
We got what we asked for. They're cucumbers. Bland, personality-less cucumbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
I don't recall a Captain Enroth in that movie. Was he a German?
Enroth was the German artillery commander in the Normandy coast pillbox at dawn who saw the invasion on the horizon and called his German superior, rousting him from his sleep with his concubine. Enroth told his superior (in German) there was a big effin problem coming, and his superior didn't believe him. Then the shelling began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
This team is abysmal. They are reaching laughable territory. Honestly, when that OT goal went in, I started clapping and laughing. It is almost incredible how low they have sunk.

The Incredible:
- They're only FIVE points behind Pittsburgh. FIVE. And also only five points out of a playoff spot. So as bad as they've been, they can sink even further down the standings.

I'm so fed up with this piece of garbage team. No heart, no hustle, no grit, no step up.... Just disgusting.

I also feel so bad for Ville Leino - his biggest goal as a Sabre, easily, waved off. That would have been so huge for the team. ****.
Honestly, it looked to me Leino pulled the puck out of the crease behind Pavelec's knee. I definitely didn't see the puck on the ice, it was in Pavelec's equipment. I have no doubt the ref loss sight of it. Even if the puck was pulled loose by Leino before the whistle blew, the ref could say he intended to blow the whistle. Think of it this way: If it was Kane instead of Leino, and Enroth instead of Pavelec, you would have said "no goal". I'm honestly fine with the call, although crushing for both Leino and the Sabres.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
  #54
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Ugly:

Under .500 halfway through the season in a league that gives loser points.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
  #55
Weird Fish
Registered User
 
Weird Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: follow where u lead
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
These past 2 games have been really disheartening.

My expectations coming into this season weren't as high as many fans. I thought that the lack of grit, however you want to define that term, was a major problem that would show up throughout the season. I viewed our early struggles as a confirmation of what I thought coming into the year. I thought that our problems were being exacerbated by the injuries and the fact that the Eastern Conference has improved over the past couple of seasons. I thought that we would get healthier, and teams like Ottawa and Toronto would come back down to earth, and that we would be able to make a run and get ourselves into the playoffs in a low seed; which is what I expected all along.

However, halfway through the season we are 5 points out of a playoff spot and we'd need to leapfrog 3 teams to get there. The Sabres are 8-13-5 over the past 26 games, dating all the way back to November 12th. That's .808 points/game. For comparison's sake, the Islanders, the team with the fewest points in the East, get .872 points/game. That's a horrendous stretch; and based upon this weekend's games, we show no signs of turning it around. Making matters worse is the impending 7 game road trip. We could fall to irrelevance by the end of the month.

The lack of compete this weekend and the upcoming road trip makes me question whether or not this team will be able to turn it around. If they do in fact miss the playoffs, a rebuild is in order.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
  #56
sabresandcanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
These past 2 games have been really disheartening.

My expectations coming into this season weren't as high as many fans. I thought that the lack of grit, however you want to define that term, was a major problem that would show up throughout the season. I viewed our early struggles as a confirmation of what I thought coming into the year. I thought that our problems were being exacerbated by the injuries and the fact that the Eastern Conference has improved over the past couple of seasons. I thought that we would get healthier, and teams like Ottawa and Toronto would come back down to earth, and that we would be able to make a run and get ourselves into the playoffs in a low seed; which is what I expected all along.

However, halfway through the season we are 5 points out of a playoff spot and we'd need to leapfrog 3 teams to get there. The Sabres are 8-13-5 over the past 26 games, dating all the way back to November 12th. That's .808 points/game. For comparison's sake, the Islanders, the team with the fewest points in the East, get .872 points/game. That's a horrendous stretch; and based upon this weekend's games, we show no signs of turning it around. Making matters worse is the impending 7 game road trip. We could fall to irrelevance by the end of the month.

The lack of compete this weekend and the upcoming road trip makes me question whether or not this team will be able to turn it around. If they do in fact miss the playoffs, a rebuild is in order.
Good post!

I agree with you. Though before the rebuild I'd like to see these guys play with a new coach. They need somebody like tourts who will refuse them the option to play with no heart. Ruff is a great coach, but he has lost this team.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:32 PM
  #57
Whammer
Registered User
 
Whammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sounds like it's time to move on to Stage 5... Acceptance. No point in being in Denial, Angry, Bargaining with, or Depressed about this group. They stink.
Rigtht on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
I'm so sick of this garbage team. Regier is all talk no move will be made and Darcy will be sure to "educate" us about how "tough" the market is.

This team is a joke top to bottom, maybe if Pegula wasn't such a smug attention ***** he would realize his franchise he bought is trash.

Top to bottom this team needs to be gutted... If it means trading Vanek, Poms, Myers etc then so be it, I'm sick of this laughingstock team.
And it's his own fault for painting himself into this corner by being so close to the cap. It was known his hands were tied under previous ownership and it was dollar in/dollar out economics. Now because of the money he has over spent, he's back in the same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
Was at the game, spent most of my time on my phone looking up football scores and talking to my brother about football. Listing to others aroubd me, no one seemed into the game. This team has completly lost the crowd.
On the plus note totally predicted the overtime goal about 20 seconds before it happened
Because they are boring at times. They cant finish. Goals or checks. Both big parts of the game. So is this the game that reverses their turn around from that big win against te Oilers? But then again it's only been 41 games. We're only 5 points out of a playoff spot. They're still battling the injury bug. Guys need time to gel. No teams are making trades now. Blah, blah, blah. Change sometimes is a good thing.

Same ****, different day.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
  #58
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
Rigtht on.



And it's his own fault for painting himself into this corner by being so close to the cap. It was known his hands were tied under previous ownership and it was dollar in/dollar out economics. Now because of the money he has over spent, he's back in the same situation.



Because they are boring at times. They cant finish. Goals or checks. Both big parts of the game. So is this the game that reverses their turn around from that big win against te Oilers? But then again it's only been 41 games. They're still battling the injury bug. Guys need time to gel. No teams are making trades now. Same ****, different day.
No he isn't. This ownership will bury money to make a trade happen if need be.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
  #59
Whammer
Registered User
 
Whammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No he isn't. This ownership will bury money to make a trade happen if need be.
A smaller "if" now that he has an owner that can eat any salary he wants. But I still think he isnt that good at managing ownerships money - past, present and future. He is part of the problem, as is Lindy, as are some of the players.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
  #60
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I think he was just confused by the fact you're bringing up Miller in the post game thread of a game he didn't play in. I mean we're talking about the results of this game and goaltending wasn't an issue
Understood.......I can only handle the thread that I'm in so whatever hits me, goes into the thread I'm in (no multi-threading for me....)

I have to slap myself from time to time when I see that the post I just made has a separate thread already set up for it.

Anyways, I understand people wondering "where the heck did that comment come from???" (or what's he been drinking tonight).

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
  #61
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,008
vCash: 50
"It's tough to win a game when you score only one goal."
-Jhonas Enroth

While true, if Miller said this he'd be crucified on these boards for not being accountable, and blaming the forwards. Not surprisingly, nobody said anything about this quote. This is the second time in his last five or six starts that he's said something that people would be all over Miller for, yet haven't made a peep about because Enroth said it.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
  #62
MyersMagic57*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
"It's tough to win a game when you score only one goal."
-Jhonas Enroth

While true, if Miller said this he'd be crucified on these boards for not being accountable, and blaming the forwards. Not surprisingly, nobody said anything about this quote. This is the second time in his last five or six starts that he's said something that people would be all over Miller for, yet haven't made a peep about because Enroth said it.
Enroth is 83-87 with two of the goals being in overtime so he is only letting in a goal through 60 minutes over his last two starts. That should be enough to win games, so he does have a point.

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
  #63
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,008
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Enroth is 83-87 with two of the goals being in overtime so he is only letting in a goal through 60 minutes over his last two starts. That should be enough to win games, so he does have a point.
You completely missed my point.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
  #64
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You completely missed my point.
They would be all over Miller. For sure. And it'd be the same few users saying the same bull as per usual -

"Leaders don't say that!"
"Culture change needs to start in goal."
"He should be stealing these games!"
"What a dick!"

Both goalies are absolutely correct in saying things like this (although I'm not sure I recall the time Miller said anything like this).

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
  #65
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Understood.......I can only handle the thread that I'm in so whatever hits me, goes into the thread I'm in (no multi-threading for me....)

I have to slap myself from time to time when I see that the post I just made has a separate thread already set up for it.

Anyways, I understand people wondering "where the heck did that comment come from???" (or what's he been drinking tonight).
no worries, it certainly is an issue

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
  #66
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
"It's tough to win a game when you score only one goal."
-Jhonas Enroth

While true, if Miller said this he'd be crucified on these boards for not being accountable, and blaming the forwards. Not surprisingly, nobody said anything about this quote. This is the second time in his last five or six starts that he's said something that people would be all over Miller for, yet haven't made a peep about because Enroth said it.
you're right...IT'S A CONSPIRACY AGAINST MILLER!!!

Miller has said things like that in the past... he hasn't this year, because.... well when is the last time he got the team a point and only gave up 1 goal?



Miller apologists are funny...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
  #67
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,008
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
you're right...IT'S A CONSPIRACY AGAINST MILLER!!!

Miller has said things like that in the past... he hasn't this year, because.... well when is the last time he got the team a point and only gave up 1 goal?



Miller apologists are funny...
I don't think it's a conspiracy, just hypocrisy.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
  #68
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't think it's a conspiracy, just hypocrisy.
i think you presented a nice little scenario for which you to unleash your Miller reverse-defense


Miller has given up LESS then 3 goals, in a LOSS, once this year (back in October. You haven't heard Miller say anything like what Enroth said... because he hasn't had the opportunity too.

You know Miller has made nearly identical comments in the past right? You're not going to make me find them for you, right?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
  #69
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,008
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i think you presented a nice little scenario for which you to unleash your Miller reverse-defense


Miller has given up LESS then 3 goals, in a LOSS, once this year (back in October. You haven't heard Miller say anything like what Enroth said... because he hasn't had the opportunity too.

You know Miller has made nearly identical comments in the past right? You're not going to make me find them for you, right?
You people are giving me a headache. For the final time: I don't care or even necessarily disagree with what Enroth has said. Rather, for all the talk about what a terrible attitude Miller has (joke) or that he shows up teammates (based on psychoanalytic interpretation of shrugs), it's hilarious nobody makes a peep about Enroth throwing his forwards under the bus.

I'll simplify it for you, Jame:

If Miller said it: "OMGZ, what terribad attitude, he's showing up his teammates!"

If Enroth said it: "But he's right!"

It's hypocrisy, and I don't know you can argue otherwise with a straight face, frankly.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
  #70
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You people are giving me a headache. For the final time: I don't care or even necessarily disagree with what Enroth has said. Rather, for all the talk about what a terrible attitude Miller has (joke) or that he shows up teammates (based on psychoanalytic interpretation of shrugs), it's hilarious nobody makes a peep about Enroth throwing his forwards under the bus.

I'll simplify it for you, Jame:

If Miller said it: "OMGZ, what terribad attitude, he's showing up his teammates!"

If Enroth said it: "But he's right!"

It's hypocrisy, and I don't know you can argue otherwise with a straight face, frankly.
oh, i gotcha... create a false scenario to further your agenda.
well done.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:14 PM
  #71
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,008
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
oh, i gotcha... create a false scenario to further your agenda.
well done.
A false scenario? Enroth said it, nobody said anything. Miller shrugs or stares at a player, he has a terrible attitude and is a cancer. Are we disputing these things have been said?

I'd love to see Derek Roy say to the media that Enroth's weak five-hole cost them same games. You'd be in orbit you'd be so angry.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
  #72
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
A false scenario? Enroth said it, nobody said anything. Miller shrugs or stares at a player, he has a terrible attitude and is a cancer. Are we disputing these things have been said?

I'd love to see Derek Roy say to the media that Enroth's weak five-hole cost them same games. You'd be in orbit you'd be so angry.
yea yea... we are bunch of hypocrites in your hypothetical.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:30 PM
  #73
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
They would be all over Miller. For sure. And it'd be the same few users saying the same bull as per usual -

"Leaders don't say that!"
"Culture change needs to start in goal."
"He should be stealing these games!"
"What a dick!"

Both goalies are absolutely correct in saying things like this (although I'm not sure I recall the time Miller said anything like this).
Except when Miller was calling the team out in 09-10, fan response was overwhelmingly "right on."

I don't love Jhonas' comments, I like my goalies to be perfectionists, but I understand where he's coming from.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:08 PM
  #74
MyersMagic57*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
I think the Sabres should start listening to MGK, Lil Jon, and Waka Flaka Flame before games. What better way to pump them up by listening to music that makes you want to beat the **** out of ****!

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:24 PM
  #75
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
I think the Sabres should start listening to MGK, Lil Jon, and Waka Flaka Flame before games. What better way to pump them up by listening to music that makes you want to beat the **** out of ****!


Those are 3 of the worst rappers.. Not dissing the genre but the artists..... Now some pre great depression DMX or Tupac on the other hand

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.