HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

L'Oreille undefeated & protesters get their cunney's worth

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 12:20 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
We have 4 games left each against Toronto and Ottawa who are in playoff spots right now, we have lots of work ahead of us but we definitely still have a chance to make the playoffs.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:22 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Forget other teams for a moment. For the past three seasons, a team has needed 93, 88 and 93 points respectively to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conf. Assuming 93 is this year's benchmark to make the playoffs, the Habs would need 54 points in their remaining 41 games. That's a 27-14 record (or 25-12-4). Looked at that way, it's unlikely.

But look at it another way: We got ourselves into this mess by losing five straight in one week. From edging into playoff contention to plummeting to 14th in seven days. What if we do the unimaginably opposite and go on a winning streak? A strong two weeks at 8-2 and our quest for 93 points would then need a 19-12 or 17-10-4 finish. Still tough, but at least plausible.

The bottom line is the Habs aren't good enough to play at a 650% pace for 41 games. But if they can go on a hot streak for a couple of weeks, it then becomes possible to play the remaining games at a merely strong 600% pace.
This is correct. The Habs will not make the PO unless they win 6-8 in a row at some point. And I think 91 or 92 points will do it this year.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
This is correct. The Habs will not make the PO unless they win 6-8 in a row at some point. And I think 91 or 92 points will do it this year.
Sorry to quote myself, can't edit. I would add: one more losing streak of 4 in a row or more and they're done.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Skarjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Sorry to quote myself, can't edit. I would add: one more losing streak of 4 in a row or more and they're done.
Exactly.

This a fragile team. Sit back and enjoy the more intense hockey, mais gardons-nous une petite gêne, ok?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Know much about defensive solid hockey? Just because he isn't putting up points doesn't mean he isn't contributing. Gomez would float all night and waste rush after rush by turning over the puck after gaining the zone. Pleks does none of those things and plays against top lines shutting them down.

I don't think Plekanec is a legit #1 centre but don't be ignorant and claim he isn't contributing anything.
Gomez NEVER floated on the ice, ever. Lack of efficiency, absolutely, lack of hearth? Hell no. Learn facts before you teach anything to anybody.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:35 AM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Gomez NEVER floated on the ice, ever. Lack of efficiency, absolutely, lack of hearth? Hell no. Learn facts before you teach anything to anybody.
moving the puck into the offensive zone and stopping around the blue line 80% of the time is equivalent to floating, especially when the pass (saucer pass) never created a single goal.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Natural Habs Fan

I had to watch the game on my PVR but I was glad to see the boys play some good hockey.

I am so glad Martin is gone. As soon as I heard the news I called Rogers to order the package that includes RDS so I could watch my Habs again. Cunneyworth finally has the team playing an agressive forcheck utilizing team speed and skill.

Is it just me or has AK46 been showing flashes of AK27 out there with his stickhandling? He's showing some amazing puck control.

Keep it going boys!

Old
01-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

Quote:
For a fast skater, he sure coasts a lot when he backchecks. It's cost the Habs a few goals in the past.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
For a fast skater, he sure coasts a lot when he backchecks. It's cost the Habs a few goals in the past.
Bad positioning is one thing, Gomez is terible at using his wingers to his advantage,but he's not a player that you can call lazy, that was my point. Plekanec is not playing with the same drive as he was in the beginning of the season. I don't how you can expect that midget line to succeed. They need a big body somewhere in there, like Malone.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's a misconception that the Habs must get 2 out of 3 available points (.670) to make the playoffs. The key is winning consistently against the teams who are now ranked 5th to 8th while hoping that those teams don't go into OT when playing against each other or against the Habs.

I reiterate that I fail to see the greatness in Boucher.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not?

Gomez has plenty of moments of being lazy

Old
01-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not?

Gomez has plenty of moments of being lazy
To be fair while I dislike Gomez he did try on defense at least part of the time. He's decent defensively but he never had to compensate for Desharnais the way Pleks does right now.

DD is a great playmaker, probably better "pure" playmaker than Plekanec, but a lot of his success is coming directly at the expense of Pleks. It might be in the teams best interest, but it's definitely hurting the Pleks line.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

It's absolutely unfair to criticize Boucher when he's icing Bergeron, Gervais and Gilroy on defense, and has Garon starting a fair amount of games. Hard to win with such a poor back end.

Great victory tonight. It means a lot to me that Cunneyworth is trying to learn some French while he has so much going on right now. I hope he keeps it up.

Eller = wow.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
It's absolutely unfair to criticize Boucher when he's icing Bergeron, Gervais and Gilroy on defense, and has Garon starting a fair amount of games. Hard to win with such a poor back end.

Great victory tonight. It means a lot to me that Cunneyworth is trying to learn some French while he has so much going on right now. I hope he keeps it up.

Eller = wow.
Such a fan

Old
01-08-2012, 02:10 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Here's what I see: the team was heading upwards in the standings when Martin was fired. Since then, the team has gone 3-7-0 under Cunneyworth. Like it or not, it's that 3-7 stretch that finished putting the club behind the eight ball. And even if Cunneyworth coaches well the rest of the way (a possibility), his mishandling of the team early on led to that stretch. Maybe he's not really as awful as he made it look in that initial stretch, maybe he was just feeling his way through, but that's irrelevant -- the Habs could not afford to spend these games on a new head coach feeling his way around, not when they had a perfectly good one already.

Yes, Cunneyworth took over the team under extremely adverse conditions. They were the same adverse conditions Martin was dealing with. The problem is exactly that he could not deal with them.

Sure they've looked better recently. They've just clobbered two weak clubs. Just like when they murdered Carolina and the Rangers 4-0 each not so far back. They didn't look so hot geting pasted by Chicago and Winnipeg earlier, now, did they?
I'm one of those who shares your thoughts on the post Martin vs Martin's versions of the habs. While the verdict is still out on Cunneyworth the Habs under Martin were a defensive minded bunch in the top 10 in the league in goals against. They were getting points in losses to go along with any wins they had. They were in every game and bad luck played a big role in their position in the standings which was around 8-10th place. Martin's team was a small winstreak away from being in 5th-6th spot. Since Cunneyworth has taken over they've become more offensive, yes; however you get the sense they'll either win big or lose big. The habs have been involved in more lopsided wins and losses under RC. I'm not sure I like that. That nosedive with RC has taken the habs from a hair out of 8th spot to 7 points out and in 12th.

My whole point, I suppose is that Martin's system kept the habs in every game, win or lose; hence the accumulation of many points in their losses due to OT/SO. They win 3 or 4 of those games and Martin doesn't get fired and the habs are probably in a playoff spot. If Gauthier wanted to change coaches, IMO, he should've finished the season with Martin and then make that decision. Do I hope Cunneyworth turns things around? Absolutely. I'm hopeful and think anything's possible. I'll save my predictions after they've beaten some quality teams. As you've stated the Jets and Bolts are hardly a test of whether this team under RC is good enough to make a run to a playoff position.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Pleks is now -10...Good for the 760th place in the NHL. Ouch
The way +/- is recorded in the NHL is terrible. It counts both short handed goals against and empty net situtations which unfairing punishes players that are out in high leverage offensive situations.

Plekanec's real (5 on 5) +/- is -4, which is a respectable result considering his usage. He has however dropped off significantly from where he was in the first 20 games, where he was playing extremely tough minutes and coming out a plus.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:18 AM
LesHabsRock

Suppose we do think our team can make the playoffs (I'm hopeful), let's keep things simple. In order for them to get to 8th they have to pass Buffalo for 11th. So, let's focus on passing Buffalo who have played an equal amount of games and are only 2 points up on the Habs. Catch them first and then go for 10th and so forth. Buffalo is also on a terrible nosedive right now. Habs should catch them. We have 12th, so 11th, you're next. Go Habs Go!

Old
01-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

say what you want about tampa's D, but that PP should be much better on the road. That is an underachieving hockey club... more than montreal.

As for montreal's playoff chances, I wouldnt even look at the standings right now because they are too far back. Montreal has to keep winning games, and try to put one big run to just get back in contention. If that happens, then we can look ahead to their chances of making the playoffs, but I wouldn't even think of it at this point.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

As far as the PO's go...

Just try to win every damn game.

Then look at the standings at the trading deadline...

Reassess only then, as the picture will be clearer.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:40 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

As for montreal's playoff chances, I wouldnt even look at the standings right now because they are too far back.
I have a hard time believing you haven't looked at the standings and won't until they win umteen games in a row. That's rubbish.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:40 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
As far as the PO's go...

Just try to win every damn game.

Then look at the standings at the trading deadline...

Reassess only then, as the picture will be clearer.
See my post above as it applies to you as well.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I have a hard time believing you haven't looked at the standings and won't until they win umteen games in a row. That's rubbish.
I saw them when the visual was displayed on the screen during the CBC telecast.... but no, I dont go looking for the standings myself because there wont be much to see. If they go on a run, I'll analyze the standings a bit closer. I guess the better word to use is that I wont "analyze" the standings unless the habs put a big run together.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:39 AM
holyhabs87

I don't nor have any interest in looking at the standings. I know we need to win and win a lot right now. So until then I don't care about it.

From the moment I heard our old goal song vs Winnipeg I had a feeling we would go on a bit of a run. And that is what needs to happen. We have a tough test on Tuesday. Halak is back...big deal...the team in front of him is first in the division and on fire since Hitchcock took over. When they score three goals they are deadly so we will have to be very good defensively.

On Thursday we have the ****stain on the underwear of life (thank you eminem) and that won't be easy either.

A string of victories is needed and quickly, so regardless of the opponent we need to win.

I have seen good things with this team but the Pleky line and PP are still not up to par.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The way +/- is recorded in the NHL is terrible. It counts both short handed goals against and empty net situtations which unfairing punishes players that are out in high leverage offensive situations.

Plekanec's real (5 on 5) +/- is -4, which is a respectable result considering his usage. He has however dropped off significantly from where he was in the first 20 games, where he was playing extremely tough minutes and coming out a plus.
You're saying the NHL shouldn't count the +/- even when the team scored against has a man advantage?

Example. Montreal draws a penalty, Other team scores shorthanded. You would have it as 0 +/- change?

I don't agree with that.

As for the goalie pulled situation, both teams have the same bodies on the ice (6 vs 6) One team is taking a risk playing without a goalie though. Obviously they count the plus minus there.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Kikizaz

Off topic: Boston fans who can't see why Marchand's hit was dirty, confuse me.

Closed Thread