HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist's Legacy

View Poll Results: Does #30 go to the rafters?
Yes 159 96.95%
No 5 3.05%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
This is his 7th year with us and I hope that he can give us another 7 after this year.

We'll see what kind of longevity those knees provide him with, though. The catcher effect might kick in after awhile with the style that he plays.

01-08-2012, 01:25 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Let's hope something else also goes in the rafters that had to do with Hank's time here.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Let's hope something else also goes in the rafters that had to do with Hank's time here.
#24 and a Cup Banner

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:38 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Some hardware would seal the deal. He could go down as the greatest Ranger of all time depending on the hardware.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:42 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Some hardware would seal the deal. He could go down as the greatest Ranger of all time depending on the hardware.
and length of time with the club......

He certainly seems happy here, but there's no guarantee he hangs around after this contract is up

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:08 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
and length of time with the club......

He certainly seems happy here, but there's no guarantee he hangs around after this contract is up
I see no reason for him to go elsewhere, and I don't think he will. Of course many things can change, but the current contract only has this and two more seasons left. At that time he'll be what, about 32?

He's the highest paid goalie in the league and won't sign for less if he continues to perform at this level (or even lower) - how many clubs would be willing to pay him that or more, potentially at the beginning of his decline? Not saying he will decline at that point, but whatever contract he signs will be a big risk for that team including the Rangers.

He'll get offers from other places, but if the Rangers match it, why on earth would he decline?

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:21 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebear View Post
I see no reason for him to go elsewhere, and I don't think he will. Of course many things can change, but the current contract only has this and two more seasons left. At that time he'll be what, about 32?

He's the highest paid goalie in the league and won't sign for less if he continues to perform at this level (or even lower) - how many clubs would be willing to pay him that or more, potentially at the beginning of his decline? Not saying he will decline at that point, but whatever contract he signs will be a big risk for that team including the Rangers.

He'll get offers from other places, but if the Rangers match it, why on earth would he decline?
I don't think he'll go anywhere, but I also don't claim to know what goes on inside his head.

The main point is it's probably a bit premature to be talking about the possibility of his number heading to rafters.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:53 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

He's the next Ranger to have his number retired, without a doubt. He's 3rd in wins and shut outs all time already and probably will be #1 in both categories before his Ranger career is over.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Four View Post
needs a cup 1st

at this point anyway
So did #1, #3, #7, and #9....oh wait

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:42 AM
towely

i said from day one when he was announced as the starting goaltender after his first training camp that he would end up as the greatest goaltender this team has ever had.
and i have a dozen people that are complete strangers to this board that will back me up.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Ranger109

Can we not talk about this because I could never see not having him in net... Or gone.

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:17 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

From the current team I can see #24 and #30 being up there some day (maybe some others, but it's way too early to tell).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Everything he says in interviews and such, imply that he doesn't plan on going anywhere. He LOVES New York City and everything about the Rangers and their fans. He seems like a very loyal person and I think he stays.

They'll re-sign him in the last year of his contract after January (that's the rule, right?)

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

From the main boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vengeance View Post
I like these for that game:

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
From the main boards

Another gem.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Levitate

I think he's gotta win a cup to get his number retired, but if he wins a cup, I think he'll go down as the greatest Rangers goalie in the modern era (yes, ultimately better than Richter)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM
bernmeister

The OP assumes no injury and a standard of continued excellence, so sure!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
thepoeticgoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If he doesn't win a Stanley Cup, but retires a Ranger, then yes his number should probably be retired. Otherwise, it depends on how long his career is after he leaves the Rangers and the way he leaves (voluntarily or via trade).
This sums it up pretty well. Henrik has been our MVP for ages now and he's showing no intention of slowing down or moving. We are really lucky to have him and he'll be nominated for the Vezina again this year, let's help him win it somehow!

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Levitate

I also REALLY like that Tortorella is starting to limit his games. The vast majority of goalies can't be Broduer and play 70 games until they're 40. Getting Lundqvist a manageable number of games now will hopefully extend his career and his productive years.

I'd rather have Lundqvist being awesome into his late 30's than playing 70+ games and being awesome now but burning out

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:40 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He's the greatest goalie to ever wear our jersey, Cup or no Cup, and Richter was my favorite player.
That remains to be seen, it's not like Mike Richter was a slouch.

He's 25% ahead of Richter's wins pace at the current age (HL turns 30 in two months), but keep in mind the Rangers have been a playoff team so far for pretty much Lundqvist's entire career, whereas Richter endured some pretty awful Rangers squads in the late-90s. Certainly not MR's fault.

Also, regardless of how talented a keeper is, NHL goalies will usually sputter out sometime between 34-36 years old (reflex time drops with age, injuries increase, etc..), so depending on how he ages will be a critical factor as well (i.e. does he play until he's 34 or does he play until he's 40). I think Richter was out of the league at 35 or 36ish? Yeah, there are bizarro exceptions like Hasek playing NHL goal at 42, and Marty is 39, but those are extreme outliers and not the norm. The median age of an NHL goalie is probably only about 30 I'd guess?

Lastly, it seems most people are only considering regular season stats, and Lundqvist has been pretty average at best in the playoffs with a losing record, whereas Richter always (much to my chagrin) turned it up in the playoffs and would tend to have even better playoff stats than regular season stats. And playoff stats is a big metric that all goalies are judged on (rightly or wrongly).

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That remains to be seen, it's not like Mike Richter was a slouch.

He's 25% ahead of Richter's wins pace at the current age (HL turns 30 in two months), but keep in mind the Rangers have been a playoff team so far for pretty much Lundqvist's entire career, whereas Richter endured some pretty awful Rangers squads in the late-90s. Certainly not MR's fault.

Also, regardless of how talented a keeper is, NHL goalies will usually sputter out sometime between 34-36 years old (reflex time drops with age, injuries increase, etc..), so depending on how he ages will be a critical factor as well (i.e. does he play until he's 34 or does he play until he's 40). I think Richter was out of the league at 35 or 36ish? Yeah, there are bizarro exceptions like Hasek playing NHL goal at 42, and Marty is 39, but those are extreme outliers and not the norm. The median age of an NHL goalie is probably only about 30 I'd guess?

Lastly, it seems most people are only considering regular season stats, and Lundqvist has been pretty average at best in the playoffs with a losing record, whereas Richter always (much to my chagrin) turned it up in the playoffs and would tend to have even better playoff stats than regular season stats. And playoff stats is a big metric that all goalies are judged on (rightly or wrongly).
Goalies are part of the team, no? Richter wasn't immune to criticism in those dark ages. He wasn't as bad as some of the heartless mercenaries but he had plenty of games where he looked like a drunken Tim Thomas spinning out to the circles after giving up horrible goals. He wasn't the richter from 94 or even 97. He was actually quite inconsistent in his last 3-4 years, and while I'm sure the awful defense and mediocre teams in front of him had an impact, Lundqvist has already done more with less.

Lundqvist somehow has gotten BETTER every single year, whether it's improving his glove hand from a glaring weakness to an outstanding strength, or simply increasing his consistency from game to game and eliminating his vulnerability to those soft goals every other game. He is at the top of his game right now, and really has no weaknesses. The only way to beat him is with a deflection or rebound, and he saves most of both of those variety too. He and Thomas are in another stratosphere compared to the rest of the league. Nobody else is even close. Quick, Renne, and others are very good goalies, no doubt, but none come close to the mile high level that Thomas and Lundqvist have consistently maintained for the past few years. Thomas is very unorthodox and reminds me of a combination of Hasek, Brodeur, and Kirk McLean. But he gets the job done, so you've got to give it to him. Everyone expected his miraculous season to crash down to reality in the playoffs and he took it to even another level. Hopefully Lundqvist and the rangers can do the same this year.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Thats a big time misconception. He's carried his team in the last 3 playoffs they were in. He lost in OT and 2OT more times than is reasonable b/c his team couldn't score. So many 2-1 losses it's retarded. Team got shutout I think in 4 of his games too I think in 3 of the games where the team was shutout he gave up 4 or 5 goals so it shows his team just failed miserably to show up and left him out to dry like last years game 5. And that's not counting his first playoff performance. So his team's performance in the PO's has been abysmal at best. He'd have four cups playing for pittsburgh and he'd be in the running for GOAT his PO performances have been that good. I am fully confident with him in the PO's after watching him in them. Richter failed to get several ranger teams IN the PO's whereas Hank got bad teams in hence why they lost to top seeds. Without question if Hank makes it to his next contract with us he's a retired number. Im very excited to see him have a chance at 40 wins. He's also 12 away from extending that curtis martin like mark for unheralded consistency. 30 wins every season since being a rookie.

The fact that we are now tending to him and giving him rest bodes very very well for his longevity

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 01-09-2012 at 10:05 AM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think he's gotta win a cup to get his number retired, but if he wins a cup, I think he'll go down as the greatest Rangers goalie in the modern era (yes, ultimately better than Richter)

eddie G is hanging from the rafters and he did not win a cup.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Easily. He is going to shatter all of Richter's records. And he will go down in history has one of the top 10 goalies of all time in the NHL.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote