HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roy on the (chopping) block

Old
01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
What I did say, which is my personal opinion, is that his past intense stare is gone. Miller always had a demeanor about him, the way he carried himself on the ice, a swagger, etc. It's gone. Watch the next couple of starts. It's all in his eyes, they are now blank, and look confidence lacking.
First thing I thought of:

but seriously, I am not a fan of Miller, and would rather have him traded, but I don't think 'his heart is no longer in Buffalo' or whatever anyone is saying. If he wanted a trade I believe he would ask for one. I just think it might be too much speculation to think he is so incurably forlorn over Noureen DeWulf being in California that he is playing bad in the vague hope that he'll get traded to a California based team.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Can someone please start a poll about Miller. Trade or keep?

I can't on my iPhone.

Thanks.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
First, ZZamboni. Have you seen the way Miller has played this year? He looks lost and disinterested. His teammates didn't stick up for him, his play sucks, AND it has been rumored that he is unhappy. Really, what more do you want to start realizing that he might want out AND his wife COULD have something to do with it. For me, it's his eyes. Years past he had a way more intense look, it's not there anylonger.

Second, Toronto. How funny would it be that toronto's top two centers would be Roy and Connolly? I don't know if I could stop lauhing.
You know what else COULD have something to do with it?

Alien experiments being done to his cousin's pet poodle on weekends. Prove me wrong.

This is such BS. Miller has specifically addressed this point in the media, I dunno. 3 or 4 times now. Miller and his wife are perfectly comfortable with their current situation, and it's not the reason for his poor play.

Frankly, the mods should start throwing people out of here who continue to spew this baseless crap; Ryan Miller is sucking right now. His wife living in LA doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
SabresFan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

Alien experiments being done to his cousin's pet poodle on weekends. Prove me wrong.

This is such BS. Miller has specifically addressed this point in the media, I dunno. 3 or 4 times now. Miller and his wife are perfectly comfortable with their current situation, and it's not the reason for his poor play.

Frankly, the mods should start throwing people out of here who continue to spew this baseless crap; Ryan Miller is sucking right now. His wife living in LA doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.
With all due respect, not everyone tells the truth when they talk to the media. In totally unrelated news, I am going to enjoy the football game involving the team coached by Nick Saban tomorrow.

SabresFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
A few points...

No need to pile on Taro just because he posted, with disclaimer, an Eklund rumor. C'mon.

Suggesting that the reason Miller isn't top notch this season is because of his wife because... he isn't playing notch... isn't really reasoning. Was there a blurb he made or something that's leading everyone to believe this that I missed?

Finally, Hiller's having arguably having as much of an off-season as Miller is, though his .89 save percentage does indeed look ugly. I wouldn't read into that too much IF you're talking about Getzlaf coming back.

And regarding him, I really, really doubt that Getzlaf is on the block for Anaheim unless he wants out. You don't find centers with his skillset around the league often enough to trade it away.

I'm happy to see that our most potent trade asset is being used as such. Moving Roy is a big step in replacing the old Rochester core and he could pull something valuable back for us. Our center depth, while obviously not the best, is no longer the complete ass that it once was, so it finally makes sense to move him into play.

After last summer, I still have some faith in Darcy. He's gotta know that his job could potentially be on the line here as well with new ownership / management if action isn't taken. Get 'em.
To add to that, comments from Rutherford re: E.Staal; (paraphrasing) If I traded Staal I would spend the next 10 years trying to find his replacement. Getzlaf is that type of center as well. Unless, as you pointed out, he wants out. He isn't going anywhere.

Briere isn't quite on the level of those two and we've spent 4.5 seasons (and counting) trying to replace him.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
puckish66

Quote:

Prove it.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
Getzlaf might be technically on the block but the asking price might render him effectively "off the block."
That's what they thought about Joe Thornton before he went for Sturm, Primeau and Stuart.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
omglolnub

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Prove it.
Like this guy

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
That's what they thought about Joe Thornton before he went for Sturm, Primeau and Stuart.
A big difference between the two. Getzlaf has already been the leading scorer on a Cup winning team and had an incredible indiviual playoff performance in 2009. Thornton got out of the first round once in 5 tries as a Bruin.

Getzlaf had one of the more incredible individual playoff performances post-lockout in the 2009 playoffs. The 8th seeded Ducks knocked off the #1 seed Sharks in 6gms and took the #2 seeded Red Wings to a 7th game before losing. His numbers in the playoffs that year -> 13gms 4g 14a 18pts. Most impressive were his 2g 8a 10pts in 7gms against the Wings with Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom out against him every shift.

Thornton was a meh playoff player at the time of his trade. Whereas Getzlaf is a proven playoff warrior and thats worth a lot more in a trade.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
A big difference between the two. Getzlaf was the leading scorer on the Ducks during their Cup run. Thornton got out of the first round once in 5 tries as a Bruin.

Getzlaf also had one of the more incredible individual playoff performances post-lockout in the 2009 playoffs. The 8th seeded Ducks knocked off the #1 seed Sharks in 6gms and took the #2 seeded Red Wings to a 7th game. His numbers in the playoffs that year 13gms 4g 14a 18pts. Most impressive were his 2g 8a 10pts in 7gms against the Wings with Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom out against him every shift.

Thornton was a meh playoff player at the time of his trade. Whereas Getzlaf is a proven playoff warrior and thats worth a lot more in a trade.
This is exactly why I think Getzlaf is the player we should be pursuing...for rebuilding and turning this team around. Once we acquire him we can start tweaking the roster.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:

Who's to say it doesn't have anything to do with it?

Maybe, maybe not.

However, it wouldn't be the first time a hockey wife influenced her husband.

Put it this way, Miller got married over the summer and is now 3,000 miles away from his new bride. If that was on his mind, who could blame him?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
joshjull

The Miller and his wife stuff needs to be toned down by everyone.

There is absolutely no way know if it matters or not. So to argue back and forth over posters needing to prove it is pointless.

Not to mention its completely off topic for this thread. So lets get back on topic folks.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
You think the Wings would give up Nyquist for Roy?
I don't think they part with Nyquist or Smith out of any of their prospects. Sheahan and Jarnkrok are the guys who Buffalo was known to be looking at a lot prior to their being drafted and both play center. I suspect they'd want one of those two first and foremost in any deal for Roy.

01-08-2012, 12:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
This is exactly why I think Getzlaf is the player we should be pursuing...for rebuilding and turning this team around. Once we acquire him we can start tweaking the roster.
I would love to get him as well. But my description of Getzlaf is exactly why I don't think he is going anywhere.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Also don't forget just because he is technically available and the asking price is not an arm and a leg, we might not have the right assets to make the deal.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
Also don't forget just because he is technically available and the asking price is not an arm and a leg, we might not have the right assets to make the deal.
I think people need to make a distinction between "listening to all offers" and "looking to move the player." Anaheim is engaged in the former.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
sabresandcanucks

I don't like the idea of moving Roy. We need centers...it would make more sense to be trading wingers/d prospects. I guess they are comfortable keeping leino at C and throwing Adam in there once and awhile.

Or, what we are hearing is more from other gms telling Darcy who they want from buffalos roster who may not be untouchable.

With that said...what came to mind right away was something around Roy for bobby ryan.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:58 PM
johnblah

So should the sabres be looking to add a No-marriage clause to all future contracts?

I mean come on, if its an issue get her here...oh right she has that "Big" acting career....

johnblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:59 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

So much for this thread being about Roy...

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
So much for this thread being about Roy...
This is the Sabres board. ALL threads are about Miller.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Sell Sell Sell.

I expect it to be a deadline deal.
i'll be stunned if roy, boyes, or hecht are still part if the team after the deadline. well...maybe hecht can stay, i dunno.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
i'll be stunned if roy, boyes, or hecht are still part if the team after the deadline. well...maybe hecht can stay, i dunno.
If they sell, Boyes and Hecht are definitely gone. The only circumstance under which I see Roy being dealt is in a deal for an elite 1C. There's nothing that would indicate to me that they'd trade him just because; he, along with Pominville, are the players Ruff trusts most, misplaced or not.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I don't like the idea of moving Roy. We need centers...it would make more sense to be trading wingers/d prospects. I guess they are comfortable keeping leino at C and throwing Adam in there once and awhile.

Or, what we are hearing is more from other gms telling Darcy who they want from buffalos roster who may not be untouchable.

With that said...what came to mind right away was something around Roy for bobby ryan.
Need to get a centre back in any deal. Plus, we'd be trading Roy at bottom of value. I value him as a 60-point guy. $4 million cap. I want value ack.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If they sell, Boyes and Hecht are definitely gone. The only circumstance under which I see Roy being dealt is in a deal for an elite 1C. There's nothing that would indicate to me that they'd trade him just because; he, along with Pominville, are the players Ruff trusts most, misplaced or not.

At the very least they should trade Roy for a decent 2nd line center or a great 3rd line center, and hope that the absence of Roy will also help them get a higher draft pick so they can get a young stud center in the draft. Unless they want to keep signing wingers to big contracts with the hopes that they will be great at center. What the Sabres need is a Nuggent-Hopkins. BADLY. For hope. For arena excitement. And most importantly, for WINS. The only way to get one of those is to suck hard for a season. Operation tank face.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
At the very least they should trade Roy for a decent 2nd line center or a great 3rd line center, and hope that the absence of Roy will also help them get a higher draft pick so they can get a young stud center in the draft. Unless they want to keep signing wingers to big contracts with the hopes that they will be great at center. What the Sabres need is a Nuggent-Hopkins. BADLY. For hope. For arena excitement. And most importantly, for WINS. The only way to get one of those is to suck hard for a season. Operation tank face.
But that contradicts Pegula's three-year plan. We're not going to be able to suck enough to get Yakupov or Grigorenko. And if you want to get into the MacKinnon sweepstakes, we're going to have to trade a lot more than just Derek Roy to suck that badly.