HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Ryan Sproul vs Cody Ceci

Old
11-28-2013, 11:11 AM
mac

vCash: 500
Ryan Sproul vs Cody Ceci

Who looks to be the better player?

mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 11:54 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Who looks to be the better player?
Too hard to tell with D men this young. Ceci has a slightly better overall skillset and much stronger I'd say, but Sproul seems to have a better head on his shoulders defensively.

Can Ceci develop an adequate defensive game will be the determining factor.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Sproul is already one of the best offensive defencemen in the AHL. Actually, just read they are about even in points... hmm.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:44 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Too hard to tell with D men this young. Ceci has a slightly better overall skillset and much stronger I'd say, but Sproul seems to have a better head on his shoulders defensively.

I'd disagree here and say they are both equal in their strength's and faults. Both project to be offensive defenceman that can QB the PP in the NHL, both are weak defensively at the moment, both are great skaters & both will need 1-2 more years in the AHL.

If either one can learn how to play defense adequately then they will have a home in the NHL, they both may make it due to their offensive abilities anyways. If either one develops an above average defensive game you'll have yourself a #1/2 dman on your team.

As for myself I'd take Sproul as he is a RH shot and the Wings needs that more than another left handed shot on the point but I wouldn't fault anyone for taking Ceci.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvp Lord View Post
Sproul is already one of the best offensive defencemen in the AHL. Actually, just read they are about even in points... hmm.
That's a strange argument considering Ceci has the better offensive numbers.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I'd disagree here and say they are both equal in their strength's and faults. Both project to be offensive defenceman that can QB the PP in the NHL, both are weak defensively at the moment, both are great skaters & both will need 1-2 more years in the AHL.

If either one can learn how to play defense adequately then they will have a home in the NHL, they both may make it due to their offensive abilities anyways. If either one develops an above average defensive game you'll have yourself a #1/2 dman on your team.

As for myself I'd take Sproul as he is a RH shot and the Wings needs that more than another left handed shot on the point but I wouldn't fault anyone for taking Ceci.
So you don't actually know who Ceci is, nor do you watch him play?

Ceci is already good defensively in the A. He needs to be stronger and use his size more, but he's not bad defensively at all. He's a great skater, very smart and he's also a right handed shot. Maybe you're comparing Sproul to a different player? I doubt Ceci is in the AHL past this year if he continues to play the way he has.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:05 PM
tfong

If Sproul learns how to play defense he will be better than Cc, but CC is definitely the safer pick. I think Sproul has higher offensive potential than CC. Cc is miles ahead of him defensively right now though I do see him as a Quincey like player in the the end.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
If Sproul learns how to play defense he will be better than Cc, but CC is definitely the safer pick. I think Sproul has higher offensive potential than CC. Cc is miles ahead of him defensively right now though I do see him as a Quincey like player in the the end.
Yeah I dont think Ceci has super high offensive potential... 35-45 point guy with D play eventually emerging as a strength.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:12 PM
cheesehead9099

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
If either of these guys become Quincey-like players I will cry for both our and Ottawa's fanbase.

cheesehead9099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:12 PM
tfong

And when I say miles ahead, it's because most of you guys probably didn't watch Sproul In the training camp and preseason games. His D is so terrible right now.

But he has tools to be Brian Campbell esque.

When I mean Quincey the mean not the current one but the one Detroit traded away and played well for Colorado one.

Current Quincey seems to have gotten... Less smart.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Ceci has the tools to be a 50+ point guy but may suffer due to playing behind Karlsson. That said he has all the potential in the world. Great skater, big body, extremely smart and dedicated. He will get a ton of points just off his ability to get his shot through from the point which he's amazing at. Dunno how you don't see him being great offensively and I doubt that Sproul is better offensively but I haven't seen enough of both to comment. I just know that Ceci has far outperformed Sproul at every same age year and is continuing that now.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:32 PM
ottawah

Ceci is also a year younger, although Sproul seems more of a late bloomer.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:48 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
But they are both 93' born. So it really means nothing as far as anyone having more development time during minor hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I just know that Ceci has far outperformed Sproul at every same age year and is continuing that now.
Ceci outperformed the CHL Defenseman of the year in their final season of juniors? Impressive.

But in all seriousness, both are great prospects. Both have adapted well to the AHL game and seem to be on track for very good NHL careers. It's literally a toss up right now and I am sure most Red Wing fans will pick Sproul, Sens fans will pick Ceci.

As a Red Wings fan, I choose Sproul.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Ceci also played a lot more OHL games which certainly fits into some of the Sproul late bloomer look.

Sproul played 178 games Regular Season and Playoffs
Ceci played in 311

One of the areas you notice this most is in defensive assignments where it should come as no surprise that he is ahead given the games logged. It is worth noting Sproul has come a long ways here even since the start of the season in the AHL, think the vets down in GR are really helping with this portion of his game.

Ceci is also much closer to his actual playing style and physical end-point really developmentally. Sproul has put on some 20 lbs over the last year and change, but looks like he is going to pack on a lot of weight still on a 6'4" frame and most of where you can see that has gone on is his lower body so far. He is listed at 6'4" 200lbs right now on the Griffins official listings, which is probably a little low having seen him in person this year. Have to believe he is going to wind up in the 6'4" 220+ range. He is learning to use his reach better and his skating is actually getting better as well and that was an area of strength. He is also probably armed with the heavier shot between the two and he has nobody blocking him on the right side of the ice should he take off and hit his maximum potential like CC does in Karlsson.

Sproul is very much a late bloomer, but among the most gifted raw guys I have seen as a prospect. I don't know if he will put it all together, but he is a sky is the limit kind of guy, Ceci is much safer but I don't see the same ceiling. We shall see, I am curious is Ceci putting up his numbers playing on the 3rd pairing with 2nd PP duty? That is where Sproul is doing it from this year although he is starting to get more duties, he and Ouellet have been paired as the second pair some as well.

Certainly encouraging returns on both guys thus far anyway you look at it.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:25 PM
DuklaNation

Both fairly similar. Need to be more physical in their own zone and just gain experience defensively.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:09 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

Ummm, Ceci is a right handed shot, I guess you haven't seen him much have you?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:34 PM
SimplySolace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Ummm, Ceci is a right handed shot, I guess you haven't seen him much have you?
Someone already pointed out his mistake in post #6.

SimplySolace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 12:05 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Kichton

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Kichton
So good he was drafted twice.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
It's cool & pretty funny to me that Sproul is just as almost or maybe is as good as Ceci, and Sproul was taken like 40 draft spots after Ceci was taken in the first round.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 07:42 AM
KapG

Quote:

I'd take sprouls offenaive game over cecis. So if ur saying sproul is better defensively I think this is a nobrainer. That might be a reach though. Sproul needs to develop defensively a lot more.

I like sproul personally

Last edited by KapG: 11-29-2013 at 07:47 AM.
KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 07:46 AM
KapG

Quote:
It's cool & pretty funny to me that Sproul is just as almost or maybe is as good as Ceci, and Sproul was taken like 40 draft spots after Ceci was taken in the first round.
Who cares lol? Some really good players have been taken in the 2nd.

Last edited by KapG: 11-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.
KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 11:55 AM
newfy

Its kind of been touched on but I would take Sproul for one reason pretty much.

Hes such a late bloomer. He didnt even start his draft year in the OHL, gets on the Soo, second half of the year only Ryan Ellis outscored him. He goes from not good enough for the OHL to drafted in the second round of the draft. The next season he leads the OHL in goals by D, then in his last season wins CHL dman of the year.

Ceci was much more polished and touted coming in as a first round OHL pick. Sproul outperformed him last year and I personally think hes still developing at a crazy rate while Ceci is closer to where he'll end up.

You cant really go wrong with either I dont think but the intrigue of how far could Sproul's development really go makes me like him more and his ridiculous shot I guess tilts it for me

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 12:22 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
That's a strange argument considering Ceci has the better offensive numbers.
'About even'

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 12:24 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Its kind of been touched on but I would take Sproul for one reason pretty much.

Hes such a late bloomer. He didnt even start his draft year in the OHL, gets on the Soo, second half of the year only Ryan Ellis outscored him. He goes from not good enough for the OHL to drafted in the second round of the draft. The next season he leads the OHL in goals by D, then in his last season wins CHL dman of the year.

Ceci was much more polished and touted coming in as a first round OHL pick. Sproul outperformed him last year and I personally think hes still developing at a crazy rate while Ceci is closer to where he'll end up.

You cant really go wrong with either I dont think but the intrigue of how far could Sproul's development really go makes me like him more and his ridiculous shot I guess tilts it for me
How do you possibly come to this conclusion, how many D men are done developing at 20? Plus Ceci is very raw, your argument makes no sense im sorry.

Quote:
Did you find it funny when Weber was drafted in the second round? You're acting like 2nd round players don't pan out.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote