HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHLPA denounces realignment

Old
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
billvanseattle

vCash: 500
NHLPA denounces realignment

the NHLPA had refused to consent to the new realignment.

Sorry, but personally I think they are a bunch of *******s for doing this.

Opinions?

(Sorry I see this was in Around the League, however it may be worthy of its own thread) Mod?

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Thricecube

I'm not complaining - I never liked the realignment.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Hyack57

This reeks of internal politicing. The NHLPA shows a strong back bone now to show their resolve for future collective bargaining agreements.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Transom Bob

I loved the new allignment. I'm guessing they shot it down as a piece of leverage for the new CBA. Boourns!

Transom Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
don't yet know why they've objected, but if it's due to a lack of consultation and inclusion in the process then i understand

Jack Tripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Transom Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
This reeks of internal politicing. The NHLPA shows a strong back bone now to show their resolve for future collective bargaining agreements.
haha... ok put your tinfoil hat on. What if the owners created the new schedule (and hated it) but knew full well that the PA would shoot it down? The owners then concede to the PA and get something in return.

*takes tinfoil hat off*

Transom Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

I think this was a poor display of "resolve" by the NHLPA. This was a battle that they should have left alone, show you are the moderate, reasonable collective looking out for the betterment of the game. Instead they fire a shot across the owners bows and now everyone is in an uproar that negotiations are going to be long and contentious.

Honestly I'm not even sure why this is an issue that the NHLPA should even have a say in.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
I want to keep the current format too, i think a few minor adjustment like putting detriot back to the east and winnipeg back to the west should have done the trick.

Vancouver_2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Dana Murzyn

From TSN:
Quote:
Shortly after the board of governors approved the plan, commissioner Gary Bettman said the league didn't need the union to sign off on the plan to make the changes.
In other words, Bettman makes a petty, posturing remark that may or may not be true, and now the union responds with some petty, posturing behaviour that may or may not be to its benefit.

I'm 100% in favour of collective bargaining, but it all gets a little tiresome when everyone involved is a childish millionaire.

Dana Murzyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:36 PM
timw33

I liked the better travel schedule, but not the new playoff format. Or the extra teams in the West.

The Eastern favouritism in the new schedule irked me.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
the NHLPA had refused to consent to the new realignment.

Sorry, but personally I think they are a bunch of *******s for doing this.

Opinions?

(Sorry I see this was in Around the League, however it may be worthy of its own thread) Mod?
Part and parcel of the collective bargaining process. If it affects the CBA and it does, then it is a matter of bargaining. The NHL cannot unilaterally make such decisions where it has an effect on existing contracts and compensation.

Perhaps the NHL should have consulted with the NHLPA before announcing this - after all they are partners in this right, Gary? At least that is what you claimed.

Per the NHL:
"It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a Plan that an overwhelming majority of our Clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including Players," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "We have now spent the better part of four weeks attempting to satisfy the NHLPA’s purported concerns with the Plan with no success. Because we have already been forced to delay, and as a result are already late in beginning the process of preparing next season’s schedule, we have no choice but to abandon our intention to implement the Realignment Plan and modified Playoff Format for next season."

"We believe the Union acted unreasonably in violation of the League’s rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343&print=true

According to Pierre LeBrun the NHLPA was willing to continue talks on this issue but the NHL gave a take it or leave it deadline for today. Wonder if they have Pat Quinn advising them on negotiating strategy and techniques??

LeBrun says the NHLPA consulted with players on this via conference calls and the NHLPA says extra travel was a major concern as well as playoff structure.
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
billvanseattle

In the 94 lockout/strike Linden said something that always pissed me off. "we don't think the league has looked at all their options for increasing revenues". In other words we haven't soaked every penny out of the fans that we can.

Let's face it, the 2004 lockout/strike worked out great for everyone. Teams can't buy championships anymore, but teams willing to spend to the limit have a better chance. Players salaries have never been higher.

I will think the players are a bunch of jerks unless they come forward with some intelligent position on this subject, not "we weren't consulted so lets screw everyone" , or "okay throw us bone first". I suspect they are like dealing with any special interest group, "Find somehting in it for even though it doesn't affect us (or in this case is probably better for the players) or we will screw it all up".

What do you expect from people who may be great athletes, but for the most part of average intelligence, in their 20's and ridiculously overpaid.

I can't believe how much my 4 seasons tickets cost. I can't afford them myself, but a bunch of my friends are greatful I have them.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

vCash: 50
Good news for fans in the west.

It was BS (16 west teams, 2 conference, 14 east, 2 conference.).

Fix that and I'll be on board.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Chubros

Quote:
I will think the players are a bunch of jerks unless they come forward with some intelligent position on this subject, not "we weren't consulted so lets screw everyone" , or "okay throw us bone first". I suspect they are like dealing with any special interest group, "Find somehting in it for even though it doesn't affect us (or in this case is probably better for the players) or we will screw it all up".
Yes, as it is, this decision seems petty/political. IMO, any realignment that brings every team into every building every year is good for fans.

The fans should unionize...

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
billvanseattle

Roach, almost for sure they were waiting to see where Phoenix goes first. If they end up somewhere west, then Det or CBJ moves to the east. If in the east (ie Que or Hamilton) then no one moves over and we have 15 - 15.

If they move Det first, they will scream like hell to prevent being moved back.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
tesplen

I don't mind it, I wasn't too crazy about the proposed realignment anyway. Plus I think the players deserve a say in it. The NHL went ahead with the whole realignment idea without consulting the PA, and now they're paying for it.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
billvanseattle

Chubros - there is an NHLFA. they are very ineffective. I was a local rep for a year or so, but nothing really happened.

I think if the NHLFA got organized, and boycotted every product that was advertised at games or on TV until they got some power, it would do wonders for the fans input.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Good news for fans in the west.

It was BS (16 west teams, 2 conference, 14 east, 2 conference.).

Fix that and I'll be on board.
I think they were leaving room for PHX to relocate east... I do agree that some sort of wildcard/crossover rule would be good to eliminate the disparity created by divisions of different size.

Also, it's dumb that they called them four conferences with no distinction between West and East; how were they going to award the Wales and Campbell trophies?

I would suggest: 1st round of playoffs is divisional, then re-seed within the two conferences.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Chubros - there is an NHLFA. they are very ineffective. I was a local rep for a year or so, but nothing really happened.

I think if the NHLFA got organized, and boycotted every product that was advertised at games or on TV until they got some power, it would do wonders for the fans input.
Wow, that is interesting!

Old
01-06-2012, 08:03 PM
bleedblack93

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
According to Pierre LeBrun the NHLPA was willing to continue talks on this issue but the NHL gave a take it or leave it deadline for today. Wonder if they have Pat Quinn advising them on negotiating strategy and techniques??
Of course, the NHLPA is quite aware that there is a deadline on changes like this because a schedule needs to be made. The schedule maker needs time, that's what the deadline was for. Luckily all but the most simple of people saw through their 'oh no the evil NHL imposed a deadline on us so it wasn't our fault!' manoeuvre.

bleedblack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

NO problem with the PA nixing the deal.

The NHL doesn't have a plan in place for playoffs outside of the conference, nor do they have a plan in place to remedy the uneven conferences.

When you said a hard deadline and you dont even have a legit plan in place, why would you sign on.

NHL should figure out the plan...the owners voted in favour of a plan that was incomplete....seems dumb.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblack93 View Post
Of course, the NHLPA is quite aware that there is a deadline on changes like this because a schedule needs to be made. The schedule maker needs time, that's what the deadline was for. Luckily all but the most simple of people saw through their 'oh no the evil NHL imposed a deadline on us so it wasn't our fault!' manoeuvre.
Earliest deadline I have heard for schedulemaking. IMHO it was the NHL flexing its muscles and their bluff was called.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:26 PM
grayson*

Easy fix would have just been to just crap and get off the pot and finally move Phoenix out east, then have two conferences (West and East) each with a 7 and 8 team division. Then let the fifth place team in the 8 team division up-seed the fourth place in the 7 team if they have more points.

So does this mean Winnipeg is staying in SE?!?

grayson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblack93 View Post
Give me a 6 year-old Toshiba laptop and a copy of Excel 97 and I'll put together a schedule in about, oh, 20 minutes. And I suck at Excel.

Dana Murzyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Cogburn

It will never happen, but how about conferences not made of up with time zones as a consideration? We're all screwed equally. I mean Colorado and Phoenix and Calgary and Edmonton were lumped in with the Pacific time zone, most of the "central" was split up into two...and Florida and Tampa, while in the same time zone, get shafted for travel.

It was interesting at first to me, but the more I thought about it, the more problems arise, and I can't fault the NHLPA for denouncing it. It does affect the players, and it's union, so making a move like realignment without informing the NHLPA and getting some form of approval will always end like this.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote