HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations Time Warp Please

Old
01-08-2012, 08:25 AM
KarlSen

vCash: 500
Expectations Time Warp Please

I think a lot of Sens fans need to warp back in time to the beginning of the season when expectations were that the Sens would be competing for a top draft pick, instead of a playoff spot.

Some of the expectations for team, and criticism for individuals is out of whack Nothing has changed in that it is a roster with a lot of rookies and young players. They could be in for a rude learning experience in a pressure packed NHL stretch run, which is completely unlike the loosey goosey, out of the playoffs, experience of last year.

As a fan, I am cheering for the best, but am prepared for the worst. Let's enjoy this season, keep the pre-season expectations, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

We're in too deep now, playoffs or bust.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:40 AM
This
That

Cup or bust.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

what he said

Last edited by Pietraneglo222: 01-08-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

The great thing about our rookies from the Calder cup run is they don't know how to lose. They know that despite the score of the game, they can win through hard work and determination. That's why this team is doing so well, they aren't easily discouraged. As the season goes on I'm expecting to see less rookie mistakes, and improved goaltending. We won't be dominant, but consistent enough to make the playoffs.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:01 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
Cup or bust.
Allright, just route the parade by my place, ok!

Old
01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Tuna99

Do it for Alfie

In last seasons Shyte storm when Murray announced the rebuild he said we would be competitive this season and everybody laughed, he wants itmore then anybody.

And We are a playoff hardened team (alfie, gonchar, Phillips, spezza, kuba, Michaleand s'il)and it's playoffs or bust now.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Tanker talk? Now? Yikes.

Why would we base our expectations on pre-season speculation, when we're 42 games into the season and this team has clearly demonstrated that they can compete?

Last edited by Fenix Rises 2026: 01-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

You are wrapping up all miscues under the guise of a rebuilding season. Everyone realizes that there is a learning process and that the team is actually doing better than most expected. No one thinks the Sens will crush every opponent either. The vets will make mistakes trying to cover for the rookies. The Flyers are a tough mostly veteran quality opponent. Yesterday Anderson saved their bacon with them giving up quality scoring chances. All that is fine but it doesn't excuse bad decisions by vets that would be considered poor on any team under any system.

Brain farts are brain farts. Phillips had one last night and some seem to think that it's ok because:

hey its a rebuilding year,
we got a point,
we're doing better than we thought,
it was in their barn,
or any other excuse

The fact is a veteran player made 2 gaffs on one play with 11 seconds left and lost the game.

Not to crucify him but let's not just brush away every flagrant error under the heading of unreasonable expectations. At the same time yes it's only one game and the Sens don't have anyone better to replace him with anyway.

Edit: Speaking of brain farts. Sorry I reread my comment and realized I had 2 windows open and posted in the wrong thread. It sort of fits in an indirect way but really wasn't meant for this thread.

Last edited by Tundraman: 01-09-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread
Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
I think a lot of Sens fans need to warp back in time to the beginning of the season when expectations were that the Sens would be competing for a top draft pick, instead of a playoff spot.

Some of the expectations for team, and criticism for individuals is out of whack Nothing has changed in that it is a roster with a lot of rookies and young players. They could be in for a rude learning experience in a pressure packed NHL stretch run, which is completely unlike the loosey goosey, out of the playoffs, experience of last year.

As a fan, I am cheering for the best, but am prepared for the worst. Let's enjoy this season, keep the pre-season expectations, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Expectations were low because we underachieved last season and were unsure of how the new pieces would fit in. Re-evaluating our expectations at this point in the season is perfectly fair, and I would in fact encourage it, as they were probably set too low do to the uncertainty.

I do, however, agree that some have gone too far in the opposite direction, and getting a little crazy with their expectations. C'est la vie,

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

Nope.

Not our fault the team is in 5th and might contend for the top of the East, given a nice streak or two. If you want my expectations low, keep them there by losing or struggling.
When the team plays this well, I'll expect it to continue for the foreseeable future.
This is on the players, not on me. I simply react to the team's performance.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post

Brain farts are brain farts. Phillips had one last night and some seem to think that it's ok because:
It's not about one game. Overall, the expectation level has swung so far from one extreme to the other it's crazy. Some comments on the boards are way overboard and appropriate for the days when the Sens were elite and reasonable expectations were a 3rd round of the playoffs.

Tank talk came from such an ugly start, as did the "not mad" avators. Fans having some fun in a rough time.

If you think missing the playoffs equals a season failure, which I interpret "playoffs or bust" to mean, that's ridiculous. The standings are very tight, the Sens have been pretty healthy, and the pressure cooker is about to get cranked up. It would be very, very easy for the team to drop out of it. How many times can a team crank out 3 wins in a row without having a lead until OT or the shootout? This thing can slide either way and who know how it will pan out. Better to stay cool about it all.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

The tank talk has mostly stopped. People are excited that the Sens have a chance at the playoffs but not many are saying they're a shoe-in except when they're trolling Laffs fans. You have to ignore those comments.

You're going to get extreme reactions on a game by game basis especially during the heat of battle or shortly after games. The ones they lose are bound to elicit the "should have, could have, would have" dissection of the game. The ones they win put people on a high and everyone is a star. It's normal on every fan forum but it doesn't mean people don't temper their expectations either way in the cold light of day.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
It's not about one game. Overall, the expectation level has swung so far from one extreme to the other it's crazy. Some comments on the boards are way overboard and appropriate for the days when the Sens were elite and reasonable expectations were a 3rd round of the playoffs.

Tank talk came from such an ugly start, as did the "not mad" avators. Fans having some fun in a rough time.

If you think missing the playoffs equals a season failure, which I interpret "playoffs or bust" to mean, that's ridiculous. The standings are very tight, the Sens have been pretty healthy, and the pressure cooker is about to get cranked up. It would be very, very easy for the team to drop out of it. How many times can a team crank out 3 wins in a row without having a lead until OT or the shootout? This thing can slide either way and who know how it will pan out. Better to stay cool about it all.
The team is cool. They are playing in the best possible way. They refuse to give up in any game. They are playing playoff hockey now. Great playoff hockey.. not fear based playoff hockey but... the "We don't care or worry" playoff hockey.

The Senators might not make the playoffs. The season is already a big success. I think they will make the playoffs though. And even possibly do damage to other teams in the playoffs. The team is playing perfectly for playoff success. They just don't give up. They don't feel pressure, they are "loosey goosey" as someone above said and that is all good!!!

If they start losing a lot more close games... who cares? That could happen. We could also get much better goaltending and win even more games.

This team is NOT playing over their heads. They are exactly as good as we see. An average team. Not terrible, not great. But playing as a TEAM... great coaching, great attitude, having fun. Why would this change? The team has had losing streaks and it did not bother them.

I think we make the playoffs or come really close!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:56 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Oh ****, good thing you made this thread or else I would have never remembered that the Sens are bottom feeders.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

I don't get why people are so obsessed with "tanking". It shatters young players' confidence, slows development and is generally far worse for the franchise's future.

Just so we can get a higher pick, that MIGHT be better? I mean, look at the '08 draft, we picked 15 and ended up with Karlsson.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:16 PM
langcam

I don't see why some fans are taking such a grudge against those who have altered their expectations. Based on performance why shouldn't we be excited/hopeful that they make the post-season? It doesn't make sense to hate for no reason.

langcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:01 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

DO IT FOR ALFIEEEEEEEEEEE.

That's all I give a **** about now.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
Tanker talk? Now? Yikes.

Why would we base our expectations on pre-season speculation, when we're 42 games into the season and this team has clearly demonstrated that they can compete?
Because young teams can overachieve and underachieve fairly easily.

Case in point: Colorado moving from 8th in the West to 14th in the West within a year.

Nobody's saying tank, I still think it's likely we make the playoffs. But I wouldn't be that surprised if the wheels suddenly and inexplicably fell off this party bus. People do need to temper their expectations a little bit.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:50 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post

This team is NOT playing over their heads. They are exactly as good as we see. An average team. Not terrible, not great. But playing as a TEAM... great coaching, great attitude, having fun.
This is what i was thinking too. They are playing maybe over our expectations, but not over their heads.

And that's the point, they have exceeded expectations, so time to adjust ours.

I saw the gdt's yesterday, there was anger there when we lost. Even if only for a minute. But hey that's good. Not mad at the team; not entitled to win, but believing in the team to think a win is possible and then be upset when we dont achieve the new expectations.

I wonder what the players expectations are. Think they'll be upset if they dont make the playoffs.

Let me rephrase my should we still be mad question:
Do you believe?

As Sens Rule said, the season is already a success. No harm in setting expectations high, if you dont shoot for the moon, you'll never get there.

No need to temper expectations; if we fail i doubt there will be a high suicide rate amongst Sens fans

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Still like this, but if we can get to the playoffs without half of our Top 6 missing, that'd be great.

But I just don't want this team to enter in a string of constant mid round 1st picks and first round exits to be mediocre.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:26 PM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
I don't see why some fans are taking such a grudge against those who have altered their expectations. Based on performance why shouldn't we be excited/hopeful that they make the post-season? It doesn't make sense to hate for no reason.
No hate or grudge here. I'm as excited/hopeful as anyone. If fans have altered expectations, I just hope they keep perspective, because a lot of recent comments don't look like it.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:04 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Time is fleeting, madness takes its toll. So listen closely, not for very much longer, i've got to, keep control.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Go find the thread where I predicted the playoffs. My expectations were not a draft pick, they were and still are the playoffs.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:13 PM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Go find the thread where I predicted the playoffs. My expectations were not a draft pick, they were and still are the playoffs.
Awesome! I thought with the long off season layoff most of the vets would be a heck of a lot better than last year, but thought a playoff spot was a challenge with so much young depth. Enjoying this stress free season.