HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All David Desharnais talk here.

View Poll Results: Is Desharnais' future at center or wing?
Keep him at center long-term. Play him with two big wingers. 54 83.08%
Shift him to the wing. We need more size at center. We can't give him two big wingers. 3 4.62%
Keep him at center for next season. Draft a center this year and shift DD to wing when he comes up. 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'm a big believer in goal differential and wins. Most Stanley Cup Champs come from the top 3 teams in that category and teams outside the top 6 are essentially out of it. However, the implied correlation between shots and goals differential isn't very sound. The New York Rangers are being outshot 29.3 to 28.3 per game but have a goals differential of +36. The Columbus Bluejackets have outshot their opponents 30.4 to 29.4 per game and have goals differential of -48.
Goal differential works ok but you have to cognizant of two things.

Goaltenders will go on hot streaks on save percentage but return to their career average (true talent)

Team shooting percentage is mostly luck and will almost always regress to the mean.

Score effects can have a big effect on shots results so looking at the score tied results is better.

Now for the Rangers and the Blue Jackets, most of the difference between the two of them can be explained simply by goaltending, with Lunqvist having an excellent season and Columbus not even having good backup quality goaltending. So probably the best method for assessing ES team ability is ability to control shot differential + goaltending talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I believe that plus/minus numbers are very useful. They provide a quantifiable measure of ES goals differential. Using this stat within a player's team I think is very useful. For instance, if a player has a +25 and the next best plus/minus on the team is +5, I'd feel pretty comfortable in judging that player as one of his team's most effective players. Using plus/minus to compare players on different teams isn't very useful. Also, knowledge of how players on the same team are employed in various situations can put the plus/minus into a proper context. Plus/minus analysis is not a be all and end all, but certainly is not without substantial value when used properly.

I would agree with you that using a player's raw point total as a sole measure of his value isn't very sound.
Plus minus can be useful, but for one thing the way the stat is tracked is brutal. EN and SH goals shouldn't count on it. One should only look at the +/- for ES.

The reason that using shots metrics over +/- is simply that the shooting % and save percentage components are so volatile that they can often lead to misleading results. The team on ice shooting percentage has a small skill component and a large luck one over the course of a season while there is little evidence that any skater has any control over the save percentage behind them. For example, Gomez had a brutal team on ice shooting percentage last season which resulted in his terrible ES point totals. But this season its completely average again, much like it was for his seasons before this.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Zorro

This guy is still on a great pace...20pts in last 20 games!!

Old
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
This guy is still on a great pace...20pts in last 20 games!!
I'm really hoping he finishes with 60 or more points.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm really hoping he finishes with 60 or more points.
Doable …needs 19 points in his last 25 games or 0.76ppg…so far this season he's at 0.72ppg

Old
02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
What a bargain DD is, unreal. I'm really surprised with his play I gotta admit, hopefully he keeps it up

Old
02-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Undertakerqc

DD will soon make Plekanec irrelavent has he takes the place of the small center on the team. The Habs will need to replace Plekanec with a big talented center (via draft or trade).

Old
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
DD will soon make Plekanec irrelavent has he takes the place of the small center on the team. The Habs will need to replace Plekanec with a big talented center (via draft or trade).

No. Pleks has a spot on this team and is not a small center. People on this board are too obsessed with size. We have 2 good centers right now in DD and Pleks, Pleks is heating up and DD is only getting better. We need a few pieces here and there (a bottom 6 fwd or 2 and a d-man) and I think we can have a good showing. The team is not as bad as they look. We need a coach who will play the team to the style they suit, which is a quick transition team thats good on special teams.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Desharnais needs to learn to shoot. We'd be in overtime right now. Can't pass up shots in the slot.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Desharnais needs to learn to shoot. We'd be in overtime right now. Can't pass up shots in the slot.
i know...i was yelling at my TV...SHOOT! SHOOOOOT!!!!!

Old
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
overlords
Hfboards

He'll shoot more with more experience, I think. At least I hope so.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Zorro

he's definitely shooting more than before but that was a golden opportunity.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Andros777

Desharnais is a boss.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
habscup

When was the last time we had a center who could shoot? Koivu.. Ribeiro.. Desharnais..Plekanec..Gomez..

Old
02-14-2012, 01:20 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

from what i have seen from dd in hamilton, he's got a decent shot, nowhere near gomez level of sucking. he just tends to naturally defer to his wingers

Old
02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Well... Plekanec can shoot. Has scored 20+ goals in his last 5 seasons.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Why is that? Can you talk about DD without bashing Plekanec? Why would Plekanec be irrelevant because of DD?

Old
02-14-2012, 01:32 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
How is this true at all? They aren't even the same style of play....the only thing they share in common is that they can both pass (desharnais obviously better). Desharnais has no defensive abilities (not close to plekanec let alone eller), and he has little goal scoring ability (he can't and won't shoot the puck).

I just don't see how a strictly offensive small forward replaces an all around, yet defensive-minded, average sized forward.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Haaabs

Pleky helped hold Malkin to one shot the other night... He's also a big part of the league's #1 PK.

He's also playing with Bourque and Darche. Pleky is being asked to shutdown the other team's top line. Its no wonder that DD is going to be getting more points with Cole and MaxPac on his sides. Just a few years ago, Pleky had AK46 and Kovy at his sides and he was racking up the points. The wingers and the role you're asked to play is going to effect your stats at the end of the year.

I like them both. I agree with the opinion here that DD doesn't shoot enough. He had a shot from the slot yesterday during the PP and instead he tries to pass it to Cole who has 2 guys all over him.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Why is that? Can you talk about DD without bashing Plekanec? Why would Plekanec be irrelevant because of DD?
Have you been reading his posts? His goal is to stir crap.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
When was the last time we had a center who could shoot? Koivu.. Ribeiro.. Desharnais..Plekanec..Gomez..

Old
02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Pleky helped hold Malkin to one shot the other night... He's also a big part of the league's #1 PK.

He's also playing with Bourque and Darche. Pleky is being asked to shutdown the other team's top line. Its no wonder that DD is going to be getting more points with Cole and MaxPac on his sides. Just a few years ago, Pleky had AK46 and Kovy at his sides and he was racking up the points. The wingers and the role you're asked to play is going to effect your stats at the end of the year.

I like them both. I agree with the opinion here that DD doesn't shoot enough. He had a shot from the slot yesterday during the PP and instead he tries to pass it to Cole who has 2 guys all over him.
I'd love to hear patofqc's response to this one....

Old
02-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Zorro

DD is now 9th in assists among all centers...in front of Getzlaf, Bergeron, Staal. Not too shabby!!

Old
02-17-2012, 11:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Other teams will indeed adjust quickly to Desharnais if the kid doesnt trust his shot more.. But I like the way he improved this year, he exceeded all expectations I had in him..

Old
02-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Et le But

I'm really not as worried about our C's going forward as much as I am getting more top 6 wingers. The two and a half men line is great and all but we'd be far better if Plekanec wasn't playing with scraps. Eller will only get better, Desharnais continues to defy expectations and Plekanec is back to playing like himself after a rough stretch. Hardly the worst status quo especially if we fall in the draft and pick up a bigger C who will need a few years to develop.

Old
02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

27 points in his last 29 games.

Closed Thread