HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers trade bait come deadline day

Old
01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

By Rob Soria

With the Edmonton Oilers no longer in playoff contention, the club will have some very interesting decisions to make, leading up to the NHL Trade Deadline. This year's D-Day is Monday, February 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm EST and the Oilers look as though they could be a major player. With likely the most sought after UFA pending forward available being Ales Hemsky, one can expect GM Steve Tambellini will be fielding his share of phone calls leading up to the deadline. How I see it, the Oilers have five players that may interest more then a few teams that are looking to shore up their roster and make a run at a possible playoff spot or a shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

Read more...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/RS0097.php

OurHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:04 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

If Barker comes back soon and plays as well as he did before his injury you can add him to the list.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
I would jump up and down with joy if Tambo can somehow get something back for Khabibulin this trade deadline. The Oilers can then allow Dubnyk to play the majority of the games the rest of the way and then go look for a #1 goalie in the off season.

This team needs a #1 goalie to compete for a playoff spot next season and Khabby is not the answer. We don't know if Dubnyk is the answer (probably not) because this team has messed around with his development.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
rockinghockey

What do you guys think of Harden he is a UFA at the end of the season and what could we get him for.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Moneypuck

If they're not wearing 4,14 or 93 then anyone should be made available in an effort to land a second lottery pick this coming June. Doesn't matter if it takes two or three deals to get you into that position but it certainly is in the best long and short term interests for this club.

The Oilers have 2 big holes in their top 6 and are in need of a legitimate #1 and #2 d'man. Yakupov/Grigorenko and Ryan Murray will plug two of those holes.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Ryan Whitney should be on this list if healthy too.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What do you guys think of Harden he is a UFA at the end of the season and what could we get him for.
You mean Harding? Is it that tough to learn to spell the last name of someone you keep asking about?

As for the idea, I like it. He's a good goalie, was highly rated a few years ago before a couple sub-par, injury riddled years. I would imagine he won't make it to UFA this summer though, as a team in need of goaltending will probably make a move for him around the deadline, granted Minnesota is willing to move him and the price is right.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
oilphan

Unless Hemmer has indicated that he will not sign an extension, I can not see how you can try to trade him now. His value is as low as it ever has been or likely will be in the next five years.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Inf123

vCash: 544
If hemmer wants to stay as an oiler and is willing to resign with the team they should tell him we are going to trade you now to get some assets and you get a chance to play in the playoffs then sign him as a ufa in the offseason that way he helps the team and its a win-win.

Inf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
oilinblood

First:
a player to add is eager. i can honestly see someone pick up eager despite his term left.

Khabi could go to a team that is riding a young goalie. I believe it was 08 when i said we should trade roli to MTL to assist price for a playoff run and we'd want halak... with the knowledge they would need another playoff piece which at that time we had (souray again, moreau... playoff guys). then price let in a bad goal, fans got on him, the body language was like a beaten ddog... and you knew he had no where to turn and the series was lost even though montreal had it in the bag. things can change on one shift...one shot with a young goalie. a few days later price is throwing up his arms. set him back light years.
Khabi has been there done that. He will fight tooth and nail to be #1 but i dont think hes a bad teammate. could be a good pick up if you factor in the rest, confidence and mentorship. only one year left, not a huge deal there.
smyth has a limited market, not just with his NMC but more with the acknowledgement that july 1st he likely is signing with edmonton again.
sutton is gone for sure, he is what EVERY team needs in spades if they eye a long playoff journey. Can you imagine him joining the Bs or Hawks and laying out the sedins? The oilers should definitely showcase him the next meeting against the canucks. His big man penalties will go away once the post season begins and it becomes less figure skating and more mens hockey.
barker and whitney could both be on the move should the price be right and they get some games in at 100%.
Hemsky. UFA. oft injured. not a 2 way player. sulks. doesnt play in a system. not a role model for winners. likely kids *elite kid athletes in hockey* think...'wtf does this guy not do ANY work'.. 2nd rounder is fine
Gags- dont like him as a centre. im fine with him as winger. keeper for now or if an asset is avail...dubinski etc for a package.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf123 View Post
If hemmer wants to stay as an oiler and is willing to resign with the team they should tell him we are going to trade you now to get some assets and you get a chance to play in the playoffs then sign him as a ufa in the offseason that way he helps the team and its a win-win.
Name the last time that happened with a 28 year old top six player.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Unless Hemmer has indicated that he will not sign an extension, I can not see how you can try to trade him now. His value is as low as it ever has been or likely will be in the next five years.
What do you suggest? That we should sign him to a 5 year extension for the $ he asks for and hope that his play improves enough to trade him at some point for a marginal gain from what he would get now for a return in a trade.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
What do you suggest? That we should sign him to a 5 year extension for the $ he asks for and hope that his play improves enough to trade him at some point for a marginal gain from what he would get now for a return in a trade.
???

How did you get any of that? He said his value was at an all time low so we should sign him. That doesn't mean sign him at 5 years for whatever inflated price he wants. It could mean a one year extension at his current price (or slight increase). It is poor asset management to dump a player at his lowest value. Its up to management to decide if we can do better later on.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Inf123

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Name the last time that happened with a 28 year old top six player.
I know it probably never happens, but if hemsky really wants to resign back with the team he should know it would only help the team out more if we get some assets for him now then sign him to a 1-2 year deal and see how he progresses.

Inf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf123 View Post
I know it probably never happens, but if hemsky really wants to resign back with the team he should know it would only help the team out more if we get some assets for him now then sign him to a 1-2 year deal and see how he progresses.
I rather the Oilers just trade him outright. He has shown no desire to play here this season.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
???

How did you get any of that? He said his value was at an all time low so we should sign him. That doesn't mean sign him at 5 years for whatever inflated price he wants. It could mean a one year extension at his current price (or slight increase). It is poor asset management to dump a player at his lowest value. Its up to management to decide if we can do better later on.
Hemsky is a UFA, he will choose how much he signs for and how long. We already hung on to him for at least one year too long, time to cut bait.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
oilinblood

should have traded him last deadline. youd think it would have been obvious to not trade our leading goal scorer after he laid out both horton and lucic on the same shift but nope... hemmer is friends with katz.

stupid people who cant seperate professional from personal.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Please please some one take Bulin.

I think the only other guy is Hemmer, it really comes down to him. I would rather resign him. His value is low now and I would actually like to see him retire a Oiler. However if he wants to go then send him off. Smyth I assume wants to stay.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Please please some one take Bulin.

I think the only other guy is Hemmer, it really comes down to him. I would rather resign him. His value is low now and I would actually like to see him retire a Oiler. However if he wants to go then send him off. Smyth I assume wants to stay.
why? Is it because he may stop us from landing the top pick? is it the one more year of his contract? or is it because we expect him to land us a 1 rounder?

I have no issues with Khabibulin returning for another year and making dubnyk earn his starts.

Hemsky, Eager, Paajarvi, Gagner and Belanger are baits up front
Whitney, Sutton and Peckham on the back end

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
should have traded him last deadline. youd think it would have been obvious to not trade our leading goal scorer after he laid out both horton and lucic on the same shift but nope... hemmer is friends with katz.

stupid people who cant seperate professional from personal.
This guy you mean?

Dustin Penner #25
Los Angeles Kings Left Wing
2011-2012 SEASON STATISTICS

GP G A P
34 2 8 10

Nice.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
This guy you mean?

Dustin Penner #25
Los Angeles Kings Left Wing
2011-2012 SEASON STATISTICS

GP G A P
34 2 8 10

Nice.
Dont forget how awesome he was after the deadline last season.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
This is a good point, if you can get Hemsky to sign a contract for similar money as his current one than that's a move you've got to make.

He, Gagner and Hall have looked very good together, and we know what RNH and Eberle can do together. For the most part that the base for a strong top 6 moving forward.

Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Hope that one of Hartikainen or MPS can step into Smyth's spot in the next couple years or look outside the organization for a guy like Kunitz, Hartnell, Kulemin, T. Ruuttu, or even Penner.

Now get to work on the bottom six and defence and this team's looking up.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
This is a good point, if you can get Hemsky to sign a contract for similar money as his current one than that's a move you've got to make.

He, Gagner and Hall have looked very good together, and we know what RNH and Eberle can do together. For the most part that the base for a strong top 6 moving forward.

Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Hope that one of Hartikainen or MPS can step into Smyth's spot in the next couple years or look outside the organization for a guy like Kunitz, Hartnell, Kulemin, T. Ruuttu, or even Penner.

Now get to work on the bottom six and defence and this team's looking up.
Bottom 6 is not an issue.. The issue is with Gagner and Smyth being in top 6.

We have plenty of bottom 6ers in Horcoff, Belanger, Jones, Eager, Paajarvi and Lander. Then capable AHLers in OMarra,Green, Petrell and Hartikainen.

Smyth needs to drop down to 3rd line and we need to get another top 6 LWer.

Gagner (and Hemsky) are looking good mainly because Ebs and RNH are out. Both may not belong in the big picture for this club.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Bottom 6 is not an issue.. The issue is with Gagner and Smyth being in top 6.

We have plenty of bottom 6ers in Horcoff, Belanger, Jones, Eager, Paajarvi and Lander. Then capable AHLers in OMarra,Green, Petrell and Hartikainen.

Smyth needs to drop down to 3rd line and we need to get another top 6 LWer.

Gagner (and Hemsky) are looking good mainly because Ebs and RNH are out. Both may not belong in the big picture for this club.

Why not? I think Gagner would make a great 2nd line center for us in the future. People tend to forget that he is still just 22 years old. He may not be putting up numbers that alot of people expected of him right now but I can definitely see him hitting the 60-70 point mark consistantly if he can stay healthy in the coming years. Not to mention the guy works his butt off every shift. I just think it's too early to give up on him yet.

I'm still torn between trading up Hemsky or keeping him. Actually if it were up to me i'd love to see him remain an Oiler and return to the Hemsky we all loved a few years ago. Ales used to be such a dynamic player and it seems people forget just how exciting he used to be. I can't really say I blame anyone because we haven't seen this in a few seasons from him but my biggest fear is that we trade him and he starts playing like he did in his better years. That and the fact that we don't have alot of depth on RW and I think his talents can come in handy if, and that's a huge IF, he can stay healthy.

With regards to Smyth, I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon. In fact I can't really see him going anywhere ever. He made it known in the offseason that he wanted to return to Edmonton not only for hockey reasons but for his family as well. It's very unlikely that after half a season he's going to change his mind and want to move again. I believe he will re-sign here in the offseason and finish up his career playing a prominent role on the 3rd line allowing Pajaarvi to move into the top 6 where he will thrive playing with some decent linemates not named Belanger.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Beerfish

Hemksy could be dealt but only if they get great value. The kind of value for a RFA that other teams will gasp at since most other fans of teams do not value Hemsky highly at all. We are thin on the right side and even when Eberle comes back we are not strong there.

No way we should even think about dealing Smyth.

I would be out and out shocked if they traded Khabby. We don't exactly have a other tenders lining up to take his spot.

Sutton could be dealt but why? He won't fetch a great deal and the guy has value to the team.

You would have to get great value if you were going to trade Gagner. He, at this point is the most logical 2nd line center. We deal him and we have three 3rd line centers vying for the 2,3,4 spot.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote