HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Would you trade Wilson now?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Would you trade Wilson now?

So, now that Wilson is starting to live up to his potential, its obvious his trade value is at an all time high as well.... possibly high enough to help us land that elusive superstar forward we have long coveted.... so the question becomes, are we willing to trade him for an elite player?

You have to believe if Bobby Ryan or Ryan Getzlaf is on the table the asking price from us is going to be Wilson plus one of Blum/Ellis/Josi and probably another player like Hali or Spaling.

do you do that deal?

What if its Wilson + for Iginla?

Wilson + for Parise?

What say you, PredNation?

(and please don't say we should give up Erat or Legwand instead of Wilson... they have NTC's and you should assume they won't agree to be moved to a non contender)

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
pekkaslap

vCash: 500
I would hate to ship him to the Ducks, but if we have a chance to get Bobby Ryan, who's signed through 2014, you have to pull the trigger on that.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
glenngineer

Not for Iginla. For Getzlaf, yes. Ryan, maybe. Parise, in a heart beat.

Problem is, we need talent and depth and he's about as good as it gets for us. We are seeing him play to his potential. As much as I'd like to add any of those players, trading him is not a huge upgrade long term. Hold on to him, trade some other pieces instead. Not sure what those pieces would be but the big 3 and he are off the table for me at this juncture. And as much as we may not like Corey Perry, I'd trade Wilson for him too as an FYI.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
UFA Parise - no. / Signed Parise - yes. (helps the Suter thing)
Getzlaf - no
Ryan - probably, but depends on the +
Iggy - yes, depends on the +.

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
UFA Parise - no. / Signed Parise - yes. (helps the Suter thing)
Getzlaf - no
Ryan - probably, but depends on the +
Iggy - yes, depends on the +.
Not sure I follow the logic on Getzlaf and Iggy? Iggy is up there in age and you want to give up a young promising forward yet you say no to Getzlaf, an established top 3 who is on a decent contract and is entering his prime. Please explain.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have twO hockey things where I go irrational; any player with the last name Belanger and Iggy. I would like to see a move to get Iggy and Hannan if the main piece is Wilson and a small amount of + I would do it

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have twO hockey things where I go irrational; any player with the last name Belanger and Iggy. I would like to see a move to get Iggy and Hannan if the main piece is Wilson and a small amount of + I would do it
Trading the future for an aging vet is not part of this teams MO. Only time it happened was Forsberg and we saw how that turned out. Iggy, as much as I'd love him, is not worth Wilson at this time. It would be like when Dallas traded Iggy to Calgary for Niewendyke years ago, even though it netted Dallas a Cup, I bet they'd like to have Iginla back. And I don't think Iginla makes us a contender by acquiring him. It puts us in the discussion but unless he's the answer and gets us to a SC final or the cup, it's not worth it.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
NoNecksCurse

for me its a hell no...

wilson has been our best forward thus far.. there is no way for iginla. maybe for ryan, parise (if signed, not gonna happen).. its 2 steps forward, one step back for me. no thanks. any deal with wilson and im very disappointed.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Only if said player is signed for multiple years. So no Iginla, no Parise, no Getzlaf. Maybe Ryan, but I dunno if that upgrade is worth it.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Imagine if we had gotten Kessel (which Wilson was rumored to be a breaking point in the negotiations)

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Trading the future for an aging vet is not part of this teams MO. Only time it happened was Forsberg and we saw how that turned out. Iggy, as much as I'd love him, is not worth Wilson at this time. It would be like when Dallas traded Iggy to Calgary for Niewendyke years ago, even though it netted Dallas a Cup, I bet they'd like to have Iginla back. And I don't think Iginla makes us a contender by acquiring him. It puts us in the discussion but unless he's the answer and gets us to a SC final or the cup, it's not worth it.
It's all a matter of how much you value a cup? From what I see, the Preds are stock full of future, but they need some present.

Also the Preds are the youngest team in the NHL right now. I believe they could use a vet.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
cleangene

If DP doesn't have #33 in the mix for Kessel, I doubt he's on the table the way he's producing now. As much as I would love to see Iggy as a Pred, for me it wouldn't be worth Willy- only a signed ZP would reach that level.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Imagine if we had gotten Kessel (which Wilson was rumored to be a breaking point in the negotiations)
I still take that rumor with a grain of salt. Even when drafted, Wilson was never projected to be as good as Kessel. I more lean towards the rumor that Kessel didn't want to play for Nashville which is why a deal could never be reached.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Wilson, Blum/Ellis/Josi, and Hali/Spals is a pretty steep price to pay for Getzlaf. Even Ryan, really. With that said, for Ryan I would mull over it. Getzlaf? No thanks.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:55 PM
token grinder

I would not trade him right now. I would use our defensive assets plus one of sk or hornquist in any deal for a top 3 forward. We are robbing peter to pa paul dealing an offensive forward who very well could mature into a top three forward. I would not trade him or smith right now. I would rather pay wilson 3 million a year the next few years and see production continue to rise than pay an extra 3-4 million a year for a guy who will put up 10-20 more points. I woul rather invest that money elsewhere.

I think that 27/74, blum, linback and our first, is more than enough to acquire any rental, in fact too much. however it is enough to get a good player that is signed.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:00 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I still take that rumor with a grain of salt. Even when drafted, Wilson was never projected to be as good as Kessel. I more lean towards the rumor that Kessel didn't want to play for Nashville which is why a deal could never be reached.
IMO it had more likely to do with the fact that according to the rumors Toronto offered about 1 million more per year. Can't say I blame him for that.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Everlong
-

It would have to be a massive upgrade for Wilson to be traded. Parise is a tough call, but I'd have to pull the trigger. Anything less though and I'd have to say no. I really want to see him develop in a Preds sweater.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Wilson, Blum/Ellis/Josi, and Hali/Spals is a pretty steep price to pay for Getzlaf. Even Ryan, really. With that said, for Ryan I would mull over it. Getzlaf? No thanks.
Really? Just curious what your basis for that would be. Getzlaf is struggling but I think most would agree he is the more dominant player. He's a premier center in this league. I like Ryan a lot and I think it would take less to pry him out of Orange county which is why if we look at the ducks I htink we will be looking at him.

But it still stands if we are trying to get Ryan they were surely want Wilson back as the centerpiece. Would I do that? Hard to say, it's hard not to get caught up in potential. Wilson looks like he could be developing into a stud but Ryan already is a stud.

If we could get him for say Wilson and Blum I'd probably do it. I'd add on something more minor if they wanted more (Mid-round pick or middling prospect) Would be tough to swallow though

Old
01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
If you're not a member of the Big 3, then for me...you're not untouchable.

I don't believe Poile would pull the trigger on anything involving Wilson unless he gets the best player in the deal and that player is a longer-term solution rather than just a rental.

When Calgary acquired Jarome Iginla from Dallas they traded Joe Nieuwendyk to the Stars to complete their team and earn them a Cup. It was a great move for both teams. Dallas was a newer team in the South that was close, but needed that extra piece to really make them a contender. Calgary was rebuilding and got a new fresh faced franchise forward in return. The deal took both teams to the Cup Finals. Dallas won theirs, Calgary did not.

Iginla was tearing up juniors the season he was traded and never dressed for Dallas. Colin Wilson is an NHL roster player coming into his own this season and beginning to live up to the expectations that made him a first round pick. I think Feaster is looking for that same deal his predecessor made ~15 years ago, but that will not be with Nashville.

Poile is not in a position to move Wilson for a short term rental regardless of who that player is. Colin Wilson is a big part of the Predators future and unless someone of that same ilk is coming back, he will not be moved...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:15 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Really? Just curious what your basis for that would be. Getzlaf is struggling but I think most would agree he is the more dominant player. He's a premier center in this league. I like Ryan a lot and I think it would take less to pry him out of Orange county which is why if we look at the ducks I htink we will be looking at him.

But it still stands if we are trying to get Ryan they were surely want Wilson back as the centerpiece. Would I do that? Hard to say, it's hard not to get caught up in potential. Wilson looks like he could be developing into a stud but Ryan already is a stud.

If we could get him for say Wilson and Blum I'd probably do it. I'd add on something more minor if they wanted more (Mid-round pick or middling prospect) Would be tough to swallow though
I guess so long as Getzlaf isn't a leader on the team I would be ok with it. He just strikes me as the type of player who drags a team down when he is A) a captain and B) struggling. Honestly though, I was just saying I don't think I'd want to give up those pieces for that player. Wilson plus one of our good, young defensive prospects (I guess Blum is still technically a prospect by some definitions) PLUS either Hali, who is a very good scoring threat on the bottom six who works hard on every shift, or Spaling, less of a scoring threat but has a better all around game than Hali and a higher ceiling I think. That's a lot to give up for a guy who seems to drag around the ice a lot lately.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I guess so long as Getzlaf isn't a leader on the team I would be ok with it. He just strikes me as the type of player who drags a team down when he is A) a captain and B) struggling. Honestly though, I was just saying I don't think I'd want to give up those pieces for that player. Wilson plus one of our good, young defensive prospects (I guess Blum is still technically a prospect by some definitions) PLUS either Hali, who is a very good scoring threat on the bottom six who works hard on every shift, or Spaling, less of a scoring threat but has a better all around game than Hali and a higher ceiling I think. That's a lot to give up for a guy who seems to drag around the ice a lot lately.
Hard to argue with that. Getzlaf is an immense talent but as you said when he is not into the game he is slow and sluggish. He certainly hasn't been captain material this year.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
thrillhous

Amazing turnaround on these boards about Wilson compared to this summer. Some of you wanted to trade him and the thought of getting a Parise/Getzlaf/Iginla would have been a pipedream, even if you were adding significantly to the deal. On the other hand, some of you predicted that this would be the year that he would show us all what he's worth.

I am a Wilson fan but I only get to see 8-10 NSH games per season (when they play EDM or CGY, mostly). I've been impressed with him nearly every time I've seen him this season even though lately he had been playing with grinders. What is he doing that makes his value so high? Have your projections for him changed? Some of his critics have said he doesn't have the skating or the hands to be a 30-30 guy, would any of you say that he doesn't at this stage?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The biggest change is mental. He had trouble staying focused last season, and it seemed like he allowed his frustration to get the better of him too often. He worked on that over the summer, going as far as to hire a coach specifically for that. This season he has really stepped up his game. I think it's a combination of becoming more mentally tough and just usual maturity (physical, mental, and athletic maturity) as he gets older and more experienced.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Amazing turnaround on these boards about Wilson compared to this summer. Some of you wanted to trade him and the thought of getting a Parise/Getzlaf/Iginla would have been a pipedream, even if you were adding significantly to the deal. On the other hand, some of you predicted that this would be the year that he would show us all what he's worth.

I am a Wilson fan but I only get to see 8-10 NSH games per season (when they play EDM or CGY, mostly). I've been impressed with him nearly every time I've seen him this season even though lately he had been playing with grinders. What is he doing that makes his value so high? Have your projections for him changed? Some of his critics have said he doesn't have the skating or the hands to be a 30-30 guy, would any of you say that he doesn't at this stage?
Not sure about other people, but I didn't ever want to trade him.

For me, I don't trade Wilson for Getzlaf or Iginla mainly due to contract details. Wilson has several RFA years left, and since he is homegrown, we probably easily get UFA years out of him too. Getzlaf and Iginla only bring 1 year with them, so trading many years for 1 year is bad management no matter how big the upgrade in actual skill is. So sure, we would greatly benefit in the short term, but it would hurt us in the long term assuming Wilson continues his development.

If Getzlaf had several years left on his deal, I'd drive Wilson (and other pieces) to the airport myself.

Old
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
adsfan

I always liked Wilson. He had slow start in Milwaukee due to his injury. Go Terriers!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote