HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why waste our energy to make the playoffs just to get eliminated?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:19 PM
latour

vCash: 500

Why can't everyone just be content with missing the playoffs for one year? I don't see the point of wasting all our energy, trading people at the deadline just to barley make the playoffs only to get bounced in the first two rounds. We should either finish last and get a high draft pick or finish with a high seed to avoid getting knocked off early.

Just my two cents.

latour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:23 PM
OneSharpMarble

Because our farm is pretty good already and winning is fun?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
You play to win the game.

Just my two cents.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
shamrun

You play to win the game...

*insert NFL video*

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
habtastic

You're using your jump to conclusions mat, aren't you?

IF we made a run to make it to the playoffs --- we're good enough to be in them!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Andy

Because the goal of hockey is to win.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
pine*

chances are that we'll finish ninth or tenth and pick in the teens.

And I'm actually resigned to that.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Roulin

Any team can win a short series, with health, luck and goaltending.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 567
you always want to make the playoffs

once you get in anything can happen

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
NotProkofievian

Okay, how do we get that super high draft pick?

The only suggestion I've heard is moving Plekanec for futures, which would absolutely cause us to drop like a stone. However, I think it would mean us finishing near the bottom for the next few years. Which I don't think is immediately necessary.

Yeah, Grigorenko and Barkov/MacKinnon would be nice, but we're not in the same position that the 09-10 oilers were.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
chances are that we'll finish ninth or tenth and pick in the teens.

And I'm actually resigned to that.
2 wins means nothing- this team has to play above 600 for the rest of the season to even have a hope of making the post season- not going to happen- really there isnt alot of good by playing 500 to 540
which this team could do- just hope the young players play well and this team keeps losing

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You play to win the game.

Just my two cents.
This.

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
This.
wheres edwards Now? youc an play to win- but you can also sell and truly rebuild and reap the benifits for the future if you have a GM that has some brains and a plan and some guts and doesnt call everyone MR

Old
01-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Parity makes getting higher picks a little easier since you don't need to gut a team to get a top-5 pick. Just trade away one of Kaberle or Gionta and we'll be on the right path. Trading away Moen or Gill will also help a little bit.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Because that's how you learn to win. By trying. Not just in hockey, but in life too.

Imagine if every time you met a nice girl, you would say "why waste my energy flirting with her just to get rejected? I'm not yet good enough to go out with a nice girl like that". That's a sure way to remain forever alone. People who go out with amazing girls started flirting with a lot of women, were rejected, but persevered, kept practising, kept getting better and more confident, until they finally met their perfect match. It doesn't happen overnight. They don't wake up one morning saying "this is it, now I've lost the weight/got rich enough for flirting with the girls of my dreams to be worthwhile." That's a loser attitude.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by latour View Post
Why can't everyone just be content with missing the playoffs for one year? I don't see the point of wasting all our energy, trading people at the deadline just to barley make the playoffs only to get bounced in the first two rounds. We should either finish last and get a high draft pick or finish with a high seed to avoid getting knocked off early.

Just my two cents.
You're stating your own feelings but they would be anathema to every player, coach, manager, and executive. The point of competing is to win. If you can't be the very best, then be the best you can. If the Habs manage to get into the playoffs, are you going to root against them because every round they win would result in a lower position in the draft?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by latour View Post

Just my two cents.
Do you know how BAD a team has to be to get first overall?

A total shambles actually.

Ex: Blue Jackets

I guess you prefer the draft over watching hockey games.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Because that's how you learn to win. By trying. Not just in hockey, but in life too.

Imagine if every time you met a nice girl, you would say "why waste my energy flirting with her just to get rejected? I'm not yet good enough to go out with a nice girl like that". That's a sure way to remain forever alone. People who go out with amazing girls started flirting with a lot of women, were rejected, but persevered, kept practising, kept getting better and more confident, until they finally met their perfect match. It doesn't happen overnight. They don't wake up one morning saying "this is it, now I've lost the weight/got rich enough for flirting with the girls of my dreams to be worthwhile." That's a loser attitude.
taht hasnt worked in Montreal thats why they have been not so good for many many years- you know that- time for a new plan

Old
NewHabsEra*

I think everyone is aware that the Habs were playing below expectations since the begin of the season, those guys werent pushing in the same direction and werent playing at their full potential either.. Now that we are starting to see a structure, why not give them the chance to redeem their season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:37 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Do you know how BAD a team has to be to get first overall?

A total shambles actually.

Ex: Blue Jackets
this year it wouldnt take alot to get a top 5 pick

Old
01-08-2012, 12:37 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

I'll just be lazy and copy-paste what I said in another thread:

I'm on the tankwagon and it's really hard to predict where we'll finish this year but if we finish 10th-9th while playing the kids and helping them devellop (and those same kids are the reason we go up in the standings) it will make me alot less mad then finishing 10th-9th while distributing ice time by player's salary. Would suck for the draft pick but I couldn't get mad at our young guys for stepping up.

But I'll add: Doesn't mean we can't trade a couple of vets for picks (just resign AK)

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think everyone is aware that the Habs were playing below expectations since the begin of the season, those guys werent pushing in the same direction and werent playing at their full potential either.. Now that we are starting to see a structure, why not give them the chance to redeem their season..
I think many people here forgot that there is enough parity to make the difference between a playoff spot and a pick in the #5-8 range only 3 wins.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
taht hasnt worked in Montreal thats why they have been not so good for many many years- you know that- time for a new plan
"I kept trying to go out with girls but it has yet to come into fruition. I dated a nice girl a while ago for a month or so, but this too failed, and since then I didn't manage to beat that. Clearly, this mean I should stop dating altogether. This is the only way I can finally land a girlfriend"

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
because it will not work- it hasnt worked for many seasons- time fora new plan and new people to impliment the plan- and having a top 5 while trading some of the overpaid over rated players and getting some picks would be a good start

Old
01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
"I kept trying to go out with girls but it has yet to come into fruition. I dated a nice girl a while ago for a month or so, but this too failed, and since then I didn't manage to beat that. Clearly, this mean I should stop dating altogether. This is the only way I can finally land a girlfriend"
try a guy! LOL- your post is funny thats it- has nothing to do with what HABs org needs to do- some have to realize this is better than what they ahve doen the last 18 years-thsi team keeps operating like they have over those years and it will be another 18 years of futility