HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why waste our energy to make the playoffs just to get eliminated?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
LOL- ya if it makes you feel better keep on telling yourself that-!!
HAbs choked and Bruins woke up and ate Choking HAbs
man do you know how to type at all?

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't know if it will take 90 plus. It almost always does but a few years back we got in with a pathetic 88. This year is shaping up that way too.
I just took a look at the standings, projected to 82 games. Right now the 4th through 10th place teams are on pace for 90-96pt seasons, then there is a drop off. Washington is 8th, on pace for 93pts. It looks to me like we'll need at least 90 to be within range, that's 24-14-3 (or equivalent) the rest of the season.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Joe Cole

You have to go with your best shot until the all star game. If you are still out of it, you have to prepare for next year.

Move UFA's, give meaningful ice time to prospects.

Just laying down is never an honorable thing to do. You have to always try to get better.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
You have to go with your best shot until the all star game. If you are still out of it, you have to prepare for next year.

Move UFA's, give meaningful ice time to prospects.

Just laying down is never an honorable thing to do. You have to always try to get better.
Yeah, taking in the terms that some on here preach about would shake the organisation to it's core.

I'm not saying if we are still 8-10 out in early February that we should not look to unload a few UFA's.

Right now there is no big rush, there is 7 weeks left and 22-25 games before the deadline.

As a GM one thing that should be done though is to see what it would take to sign guys like Moen and AK plus what are the offers on those guys. Obviously signing Emelin, Diaz, PK and Price to extensions should be an ongoing thing.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

In the big picture, making a strong push for the playoffs(I'm taking about the team going 13-5-2 the next 20 for 28 points) is good for the organisation. That is as long as we don't make short term deals to do it...I'm talking Tinordi for Suter type deal where he leaves as a UFA.

Benefits:
1-we have a new coach with a new style he is trying to implement, if it proves to be successful, then we should benefit from it for 2-3-4 years
2-we have veterans not playing up to potential, getting them going can only be a good thing. Either they go back to playing well(Cammy Gio) or helps us move them(Gomez) next summer
3-young players get a taste of success and winning. Losing can become contagions if it stays too long and then becomes reality.
4-a strong finish will make the club more attractive to UFA's including our won.

Downside:
1-won't get as good a pick. taht being said this team shouldn't be in the hunt for top 5 once all is said and done, if it is at the deadline then sure, dump a lot of veterans
2-won't be able to maximise return if UFA's are not staying. It would be nice to get 4-5 extra picks and prospects, but the organisation is already pretty deep in prospects, usually you don't get stud rospects for UFA's.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
In the big picture, making a strong push for the playoffs(I'm taking about the team going 13-5-2 the next 20 for 28 points) is good for the organisation. That is as long as we don't make short term deals to do it...I'm talking Tinordi for Suter type deal where he leaves as a UFA.

Benefits:
1-we have a new coach with a new style he is trying to implement, if it proves to be successful, then we should benefit from it for 2-3-4 years
2-we have veterans not playing up to potential, getting them going can only be a good thing. Either they go back to playing well(Cammy Gio) or helps us move them(Gomez) next summer
3-young players get a taste of success and winning. Losing can become contagions if it stays too long and then becomes reality.
4-a strong finish will make the club more attractive to UFA's including our won.

Downside:
1-won't get as good a pick. taht being said this team shouldn't be in the hunt for top 5 once all is said and done, if it is at the deadline then sure, dump a lot of veterans
2-won't be able to maximise return if UFA's are not staying. It would be nice to get 4-5 extra picks and prospects, but the organisation is already pretty deep in prospects, usually you don't get stud rospects for UFA's.
I don't see the organization as being that deep in prospects. Some good ones but no surefire guys and I think adding a few extra top 120 picks would go a long way.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I don't see the organization as being that deep in prospects. Some good ones but no surefire guys and I think adding a few extra top 120 picks would go a long way.
These are all guys that are legit NHL prospects:

LeBlanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Kristo
Pateryn
Bennett
Walsh
Quailer
Ellis
Dietz
Bournival
Beaulieu
Engqvist
Palushaj

Avtsin, MacMillan, Didier, Nygren, Sullivan are projects.

Plus guys already in the NHL that have less than 2 years experience:
Desharnais
Emelin
Weber
Diaz
Subban
Eller

Not saying we couldn't use an extra 3-4 picks, but it's not life and death. Price and Pacioretty are also young guys under 25.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:30 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

LeBlanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Kristo
Pateryn
Bennett
Walsh
Quailer
Ellis
Dietz
Bournival
Beaulieu
Engqvist
Palushaj

Desharnais
Emelin
Weber
Diaz
Subban
Eller

Not saying we couldn't use an extra 3-4 picks, but it's not life and death. Price and Pacioretty are also young guys under 25.
I'm sure most teams have a list of players fairly long that are "legit NHL prospects" but it's entirely possible that not a single guy on that list will be an impact player in the NHL.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I'm sure most teams have a list of players fairly long that are "legit NHL prospects" but it's entirely possible that not a single guy on that list will be an impact player in the NHL.
Probably 40-50% of those guys will make the NHL, which would give us a good "supporting cast and crew."

And it's true we do have that.

We need an impact offensive forward. If you put Kuznetsov on that list, I'd bet you wouldn't have made your post to start with.

Probably just one is enough...the problem is we have 0.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Schwang

Quote:
Totally agree. Most or all of the can't miss NHL'ers on that list are middle of the pack draft picks. None are considered franchise players (especially the forwards) The only guys I would consider possible imapct players would be Tinordi, Beaulieu, MAYBE Gallagher. Obviously this is just a prediction, but I'd definately feel better having one or 2 guys that were drafted in the top 5 at least. This year would be as good an opportunity as ever. Next year, (providing we're healthy) I definately think we'll bounce back, but why just get a worse draft pick this year, when we aren't going to make it to the playoffs anyway. Let's try and get a franchise forward for once!

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Probably 40-50% of those guys will make the NHL, which would give us a good "supporting cast and crew."

We need an impact offensive forward. If you put Kuznetsov on that list, I'd bet you wouldn't have made your post to start with.

Not sure what I would or wouldn't have posted if Kuznetsov was on the list...but even if they had him I'd probably still be hoping for a couple of trades for picks to grab a few extra guys in what is supposed to be a very strong draft.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Kuznetzov reminds mee too much of Semin. Not a guy you want to build your team around IMHO.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Why ever make the playoffs then? Seriously, I don't get this topic at all.
Same here. Yet I was sure to win the Stanley Cup you have to go in the playoffs, but hey, why waste our energy!

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Roulin

Quote:

LeBlanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Kristo
Pateryn
Bennett
Walsh
Quailer
Ellis
Dietz
Bournival
Beaulieu
Engqvist
Palushaj
Quote:
This seems wildly optimistic to me. Do you mean 40-50% (6-7 players from the list) will be NHL regulars, or do you count players like Engqvist and Palushaj as having "made the NHL?"

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
The title should read "Why waste our energy TRYING to make the playoffs just to finish below 8th?"

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

LeBlanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Kristo
Pateryn
Bennett
Walsh
Quailer
Ellis
Dietz
Bournival
Beaulieu
Engqvist
Palushaj

Desharnais
Emelin
Weber
Diaz
Subban
Eller

Huh?

This is a knee slapper, it gave me quite a good chuckle. No more than 3 players on that list will get more than a cup of coffee in the bigs. That's pathetic talent levels for an NHL team's prospect list. Those 3-4 picks are desperately needed.

The highlighted names are already proven duds, just a matter of time for most of the rest.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Schwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Huh?

This is a knee slapper, it gave me quite a good chuckle. No more than 3 players on that list will get more than a cup of coffee in the bigs. That's pathetic talent levels for an NHL team's prospect list. Those 3-4 picks are desperately needed.

The highlighted names are already proven duds, just a matter of time for most of the rest.
Enqvist is having a breakout year in the AHL and Patteryn is still in College. It most definately has NOT been proven in any way that they are duds. I do agree some of them won't make it, but I'd say a good portion of them will have more than a cup of coffee. I do agree we need high picks and franchise forwards. That is where we are weakest. However, most of these guys will make a good supporting cast.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
This seems wildly optimistic to me. Do you mean 40-50% (6-7 players from the list) will be NHL regulars, or do you count players like Engqvist and Palushaj as having "made the NHL?"
I mean about 6-7 players from that list stand a very good chance of playing in the NHL, and not just being spare parts either.

Leblanc
Gallagher
Bournival
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Kristo
Ellis
Dietz

are all guys I have high hopes for. Not "top pairing dman" or "top line forward" kind of hopes, but I think that's a very strong list of top 6 dmen and top 9 forwards.

Guys like Bennett, Pateryn, Quailer, Walsh etc etc I'm not too bothered about. Maybe one or two will make it, maybe not. I'd say Bennett probably has the best chance.

I hope guys like Nygren, Pribyl, Avtsin, MacMillan will make it, but in all these cases it's way too early to tell. Although I did like Pribyl's skills when I saw him.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

LeBlanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Kristo
Pateryn
Bennett
Walsh
Quailer
Ellis
Dietz
Bournival
Beaulieu
Engqvist
Palushaj
I bolded guys who are legit NHL prospects.

The others are darkhorses.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I bolded guys who are legit NHL prospects.

The others are darkhorses.
Even if Palushaj has been unimpressive he's a legit prospect. Guys like bournival, kristo and Engqvist are also legit prospects. They have a chance to make it but unless by legit you mean near blue chip, then they should be included.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

LeBlanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Kristo
Pateryn
Bennett
Walsh
Quailer
Ellis
Dietz
Bournival
Beaulieu
Engqvist
Palushaj

Desharnais
Emelin
Weber
Diaz
Subban
Eller

That list just reinforces the need for us to rebuild.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote