HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

To my American friends,

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
  #26
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down
 
Swedish Puck Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28,229
vCash: 50
Derp


Last edited by Swedish Puck Mafia: 01-08-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Disregard the content of my post, I just wanted to be the top post of the 2nd page.
Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:44 PM
  #27
SniperHF
Global Moderator
You Jelly of my hat?
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Some of you guys posted alternative candidates. Well they still don't compare to my guy Jimmy


SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:28 AM
  #28
Francesa
Moderator
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 197,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Some of you guys posted alternative candidates. Well they still don't compare to my guy Jimmy

I voted for Daron Sutton.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
  #29
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,421
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I voted for Daron Sutton.
You would!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
  #30
Inub0i
For the Alliance!
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,659
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Vermin Supreme for 2012

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  #31
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
Do Americans actually pretend to be Canadian when traveling? I hear that so much yet I've traveled and I know many others who have but I've never seen or heard of someone actually doing it.
My friends GF used to conduct walking tours in Rome and she said that this would happen all the time, she also said that it was pretty easy to spot the Americans pretending to be Canadian. She'd actually call them out on it.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
  #32
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
My friends GF used to conduct walking tours in Rome and she said that this would happen all the time, she also said that it was pretty easy to spot the Americans pretending to be Canadian. She'd actually call them out on it.
Maybe it's cause they'd say "I'm Ca-nay-dee-ANNE".

Never understood where the ANNE came from, and I hear people pronouncing it like that. We usually say "I'm Ca-nay-dee-in".

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
  #33
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Maybe it's cause they'd say "I'm Ca-nay-dee-ANNE".

Never understood where the ANNE came from, and I hear people pronouncing it like that. We usually say "I'm Ca-nay-dee-in".
Sorry should have said it properly, "I'm Ca-nay-dee-in eh"

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
  #34
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express
 
JF Omalycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Americans posing as Canadians?

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:20 AM
  #35
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,421
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
Americans posing as Canadians?
I thought all Americans were posers?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
  #36
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
Americans posing as Canadians?
Yes it happens quite often in Europe. American tourists will pretend to be Canadian as Canadians have a very good reputation internationally.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
  #37
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Maybe it's cause they'd say "I'm Ca-nay-dee-ANNE".

Never understood where the ANNE came from, and I hear people pronouncing it like that. We usually say "I'm Ca-nay-dee-in".
I'm American and I say Ca-nay-dee-in. Most Americans don't have a good Canadian accent. Sometimes I have to talk to Canadians at work (from Toronto area), they have such a thick accent, it's awesome.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
  #38
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Yes it happens quite often in Europe. American tourists will pretend to be Canadian as Canadians have a very good reputation internationally.
As an American, I have to say that that's pretty dumb. What would an American in Europe gain or avoid by pretending to be Canadian... an unpleasant look or two? In Middle Eastern countries, I can totally see it and might even do it, myself, since there are some angry people in those parts who'd love to make life unpleasant for citizens of the Great Satan, but in most of the rest of the world, I don't see what there is to be afraid of. I can pretty much guarantee that these people are a very small minority, though. Americans, by nature, are proud of who they are and wouldn't hide behind another flag unless the circumstances were extreme. There are always those outliers, though, who are likely inclined to call themselves Canadian when abroad purely as a protest against American policies or to avoid any assumption of support for them; however, those people aren't good examples of Americans or representatives of the country, IMHO.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:02 PM
  #39
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
As an American, I have to say that that's pretty dumb. What would an American in Europe gain or avoid by pretending to be Canadian... an unpleasant look or two? In Middle Eastern countries, I can totally see it and might even do it, myself, since there are some angry people in those parts who'd love to make life unpleasant for citizens of the Great Satan, but in most of the rest of the world, I don't see what there is to be afraid of. I can pretty much guarantee that these people are a very small minority, though. Americans, by nature, are proud of who they are and wouldn't hide behind another flag unless the circumstances were extreme. There are always those outliers, though, who are likely inclined to call themselves Canadian when abroad purely as a protest against American policies or to avoid any assumption of support for them; however, those people aren't good examples of Americans or representatives of the country, IMHO.
Like another person said, they are not perceived on the same level. If they say they are Canadian they are more likely to get more friendly reception and willingness to cater to you.

It is not a question of "fear," but more a question of "convenience."

I have had a few occasions where I was treated on a much different manner when they realized I was Canadian rather than American.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:40 AM
  #40
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Like another person said, they are not perceived on the same level. If they say they are Canadian they are more likely to get more friendly reception and willingness to cater to you.

It is not a question of "fear," but more a question of "convenience."

I have had a few occasions where I was treated on a much different manner when they realized I was Canadian rather than American.
It still seems dumb to me. You shouldn't have to lie because the other person is in the wrong by holding a stereotype. If the person would treat me better by thinking that I'm Canadian, then he or she isn't someone that I should even care about pleasing. Besides, I would welcome the opportunity to show that Americans are nice and polite and everything opposite of what the person's stereotyping of my countrymen is. When you're abroad, you're like an ambassador for your country. If people pre-judge you, prove them wrong; don't take the wussy way out and hide from it. That's my opinion.


Last edited by Osprey: 01-11-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:28 AM
  #41
heutZe
Registered User
 
heutZe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It still seems dumb to me. You shouldn't have to lie because the other person is in the wrong by holding a stereotype. If the person would treat me better by thinking that I'm Canadian, then he or she isn't someone that I should even care about pleasing. Besides, I would welcome the opportunity to show that Americans are nice and polite and everything opposite of what the person's stereotyping of my countrymen is. When you're abroad, you're like an ambassador for your country. If people pre-judge you, prove them wrong; don't take the wussy way out and hide from it. That's my opinion.
Just a fun fact. Swedes used to have a pretty bad reputation abroad, especially in Denmark, Germany etc.. And since danes were not able to hear the difference between Swedish and Norwegian, it was recommended for Norwegians abroad to point out that you were Norwegian, not Swedish, or else you probably would not get optimal service.

Now of course, it's completely different....

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:39 AM
  #42
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 47,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Yes it happens quite often in Europe. American tourists will pretend to be Canadian as Canadians have a very good reputation internationally.
Belgians really like Americans from what my dad said.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:58 AM
  #43
Francesa
Moderator
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 197,508
vCash: 500
#TebowForPresident

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:15 PM
  #44
Sirquacksalot
ˇViva Los Patos!
 
Sirquacksalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Mojave
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Yes it happens quite often in Europe. American tourists will pretend to be Canadian as Canadians have a very good reputation internationally.
Not really. From my experiences in Europe and with Europeans, most of them dislike our foreign policies but don't hold that dislike against any individual, unless you pretend to know everything and spout FoxNews talking points as fact. In other words, don't be an ass and people won't treat you like one, regardless of your nationality.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
  #45
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It still seems dumb to me. You shouldn't have to lie because the other person is in the wrong by holding a stereotype. If the person would treat me better by thinking that I'm Canadian, then he or she isn't someone that I should even care about pleasing. Besides, I would welcome the opportunity to show that Americans are nice and polite and everything opposite of what the person's stereotyping of my countrymen is. When you're abroad, you're like an ambassador for your country. If people pre-judge you, prove them wrong; don't take the wussy way out and hide from it. That's my opinion.
I think it is dumb too. But I rarely make it obvious at all where I am from, I don't care for nationality representations.

Sometimes I play the game "how long can I make them think I am a local" it is pretty fun.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:28 PM
  #46
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 50
I've read somewhere that a few years ago, the Netherlands were the 2nd most anti-american country in the world, just behind Iran. But being there, that country absolutely loves Canadians, a lot of it dates back to WWII, and a lot of Dutch people have relatives in Canada too who emigrated after the war.

I don't know about the other countries as much, but I know in the Netherlands - they absolutely love Canada there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%...ands_relations

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
  #47
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I've read somewhere that a few years ago, the Netherlands were the 2nd most anti-american country in the world, just behind Iran. But being there, that country absolutely loves Canadians, a lot of it dates back to WWII, and a lot of Dutch people have relatives in Canada too who emigrated after the war.

I don't know about the other countries as much, but I know in the Netherlands - they absolutely love Canada there.
Utrecht University just went up a spot on my grad school short list.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
  #48
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns
 
Alex The Loyal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: McWhatever
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I've read somewhere that a few years ago, the Netherlands were the 2nd most anti-american country in the world, just behind Iran. But being there, that country absolutely loves Canadians, a lot of it dates back to WWII, and a lot of Dutch people have relatives in Canada too who emigrated after the war.

I don't know about the other countries as much, but I know in the Netherlands - they absolutely love Canada there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%...ands_relations
I forget if that's the country or not, but didn't we liberate them? I think the royal family sends roses to Ottawa every year on the anniversary or something

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
  #49
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,969
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Loyal View Post
I forget if that's the country or not, but didn't we liberate them? I think the royal family sends roses to Ottawa every year on the anniversary or something
We did liberate them mainly, quite a few Dutch girls ended up marrying Canadian soldiers, and we get a large shipment of tulips - not roses from the Netherlands every year. And there's the great story of Dutch Princess Margriet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes...he_Netherlands

Quote:
The Princess was born in Ottawa, Ontario, as the family had been living in Canada since June 1940 after the occupation of the Netherlands by Nazi Germany. The maternity ward of Ottawa Civic Hospital in which Princess Margriet was born was temporarily declared to be extraterritorial by the Canadian government. Making the maternity ward outside of the Canadian domain caused it to be unaffiliated with any jurisdiction and technically international territory. This was done to ensure that the newborn Princess would derive her citizenship from her mother only, thus making her solely Dutch.

It is a common misconception that the Canadian government declared the maternity ward to be Dutch territory. Since Dutch nationality law is based primarily on the principle of Jus sanguinis it was not necessary to make the ward Dutch territory for the Princess to become a Dutch citizen. Since Canada followed the rule of jus soli, it was necessary for Canada to disclaim the territory temporarily so that the Princess would not, by virtue of birth on Canadian soil, become a Canadian citizen.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
  #50
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LoriaLand
Country: United States
Posts: 7,586
vCash: 500
Maybe I'll vote for Don Cherry as a write-in candidate.

PanthersPens62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.