HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Marchand/Salo Incident UPD: Suspended 5 games + league reaction

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
DefMars

vCash: 500

Marchand punches Salo in back of the head multiple times before the incident.

At 8 seconds.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post

How is it different? We love Ballard for this kind of ****.
mcginn effectively has the puck.

initial contact with ballards leg is too low, but contact with his body is mid thigh.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Quote:

This is the first time I've really watched the two video's closely side be side, and at first I thought there was something too it. While Ballard is really pushing the edge here I do see a distinction that let McGill walk away clean while Marchand's hit left Salo injured.

For one thing, McGill and Hamhuis are coming together in a straight line beside the board, while Salo and Marchand are coming in at a slight angle. It's far more dangerous that way.

Additionally, and more importantly from a technical standpoint, Ballard starts to transition into the hipcheck a good 5 feet or so from McGill, who recognizes it and braces appropriately. Marchand on the other hand drops suddenly with minimal space between Salo and takes him completely by surprise. I was going to point out the second of the video, but I took screenshots instead:

Ballard-McGinn:

Ballard telegraphs his intent from 4-5 feet, McGinn recognizes it

McGinn braces for hit, comes away clean

VS

Marchand-Burrows:

Marchand/Salo are coming in angled towards the boards, from 2-3 feet away it looks like it will be shoulder to shoulder

Marchand ducks at the last second, going shoulder to knee on Salo who has no chance to brace for it.

So upon further critical review, I find the two hits to be nothing alike.

Last edited by RandV: 01-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Heh, those tweets were bad enough for me to reply. I quoted the "what were Salo's intentions" tweet and replied:

It's called a pinch. It happens in every NHL game.

and followed it up with:

In fact, it happened between Salo and Marchand 15 seconds before hit. Watch the replay and #getaclue.

and finally:

Or carry on vilifying the the victim like the coach until someone's neck gets broken. Oh wait #masonraymond.
no no no. raymond had his back broken. Pacioretty was the neck.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:46 PM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Look closely at 0.06 to 0.07 and watch where the puck is and also watch McGinn, he was clearly trying to target Ballard and he was aware that something is going to happen. If you go to 0.07 and freeze it there watch where Ballards hips is relative to McGinn...Also notice where the puck is McGinn had it first. It is completely legit check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMars View Post

Marchand punches Salo in back of the head multiple times before the incident.

At 8 seconds.
Okay I see what you guys see now. I honestly didn't think there was intent to hurt him and the result was based on the fact of how short Marchand was, but since DefMars pointed out how Marchand gave Salo a bunch of shots to the head prior to the hit. There seems to be clear intent in hurting Salo.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:48 PM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
It's not that surprising. The CBC has been employing a guy that fits that description for the last 30 years.
didnt cherry say it was dirty?

Old
01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
He also said:

-he LOVES Marchand
-Salo is one of the only players on the Canucks he likes, because he actually plays it straight.
-The Bruins effectively won the game because they took out to Canucks.

It was disgusting.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Call should be: 5 minute interference, game, 4 game suspension.

That's simply what it should be, IMO... based on precedents.
Yeah. The clipping call just opens the possibility of arguing 'it wasn't below the knees', which obfuscates the real issue: it was a dirty hit that injured an opponent who didn't have the puck. Cut-and-dried major and game. The on-ice call shouldn't affect Shanahan's decision, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
flack

This is the hit on Salo:

First notice how Salo was just trying to go at the puck and was watching the puck, he was not like McGinn trying to throw a hit on Marchand. And notice how Marchand looked at Salo going for the puck. Marchand completely knew what he was doing just from that look. Now right when Salo fell on him he completely threw his body upwards to make Salo fall even harder. In the check by Ballard on McGinn, or other check made by Ballard, he stays completely bend and relys solely on his hip to make the check and only gets straight after the guy falls or is no longer in contact. Marchand didn't and he bend up his back just when Salo fell on him to inflict more injury. He was also using his arms to help in that goal as well. Completely dirty.

Now freeze the clip at 0.02. From that angle, it seems like Marchand was at a height higher than Salo's knees, But notice that clip hides where the point of contact is because of the angle. It blocks your view. It is really if you look closely the right arm to shoulder of Marchand that catches Salo, which was Lower than the height of his back you are seeing. And that arm that contacted Salo, is at or below the Knees. It is clipping. Here is an image.
Attached Images
File Type: png Hit on Salo.png‎ (269.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by flack: 01-08-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
thebigbea

found this on another forum.. 2 punch to salo head just before the cheap shot... puck no where near salo..

Old
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Yes but he also said the Bruins won the game by injuring two Canucks players and the referees handed the game to the Canucks. Oh yeah and it was all started by Burrows.

Here is the video:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...84593289&tab=1

Old
01-08-2012, 06:59 PM
The Poacher

I'll be very surprised if theres no suspenion. You can't have 2 players go into the corner(or anywhere on the ice for that matter) for a puck and have 1 guy submarine the other. To dangerous the game doesn't need it. If you don't start with a suspenion here, then this type of play won't leave the game.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Bombsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
found this on another forum.. 2 punch to salo head just before the cheap shot... puck no where near salo..

According to some genius names "Bruwinz" that isn't a punch from Marchand on Salo - it's Salo holding Marchand's stick. He/She's serious too. It's in the other Bruins thread that's still open here.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:

The Ballard hit looks even lower than the Marchand hit. In pee wee football or any contact sports. The first thing they tell you is to stay low. The low man wins.

And if two guys are going for a puck in the corner how does one guy get hit from behind? Why did Salo turn his back?

Old
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

So upon further critical review, I find the two hits to be nothing alike.
Nice post.

01-08-2012, 07:09 PM
The Poacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
The Ballard hit looks even lower than the Marchand hit. In pee wee football or any contact sports. The first thing they tell you is to stay low. The low man wins.

And if two guys are going for a puck in the corner how does one guy get hit from behind? Why did Salo turn his back?
He turned because he was expecting to go shoulder to shoulder. As well as the puck got away from Marchand a bit (chose not to play it) and would have gone up the boards passes both players. So Salo was just preparing is body to be towards the puck after contact.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Lowkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post

One major difference I see is that its Jamie Mcginn not Sami Salo and he fully intends to bury Ballard and skates right by the puck instead of attempting to play it. This is much closer to the protect yourself scenario Julien was trying to defend Marchand with.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I in the Eye

Does anybody know the stat for # of league disciplinary hearings per team? and per player?

The # of league disciplinary hearings, I think, can be an objective measure on how "dirty" or "clean" a team is (or at least, help in arguments)... and the # of league disciplinary hearings per player, I think, can be an objective measure on how "dirty" or "clean" an individual player is (or at least, help in arguments)...

Boston must be up there in terms of # of league disciplinary hearings... Marchand must be up there in terms of # of league disciplinary hearings per player this year... I can't see Shanahan being all that lenient towards Boston or Marchand as the season goes on... Marchand is an "incident creator" (# of incidents Shanahan has to look into involving Marchand takes Shanahan's time and energy)... and with the Lucic/Miller headache earlier, plus the other times Boston has been in the principal's office this year, I totally expect (or at least, I would think) Shanahan to be less and less tolerent towards Boston and Marchand going forward... My prediction is that Marchand gets suspended, with 3, 4 or 5 being more likely than 1 or 2...

I'd be very interested to see how much time Shanahan has to spend dealing with Boston-generated issues, compared to other teams in the league...

Old
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW55 View Post
He turned because he was expecting to go shoulder to shoulder. As well as the puck got away from Marchand a bit (chose not to play it) and would have gone up the boards passes both players. So Salo was just preparing is body to be towards the puck after contact.
I can buy that. Start to turn thinking he was going should to shoulder and he missed when there was nothing to hit. As far as not playing the puck. Its not like the hit happend two full strieds after the puck was gone. The puck was in there feet.

Marchand is giving up five inches and 30lbs. I think I may take my eye off the puck also.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:20 PM
croutonsinmysalad

The Bruins and the people associated with them (media and fan base) need to stop trying to down play what happened. Marchard wanted to hurt Salo, he punched him (twice) prior to the hit and instead of going for the puck along the broads, he decided to go low and deck out Salo. He may have not intended to concuss Salo or leave him with a severe injury; but it's clear he wanted to get the better of Salo. In which he did. Now he and the media and fans are trying to spin this as Salo was the bad guy and Marchand's the victim. Are you serious? Whatever, they can say whatever the hell they want, because they aren't even describing the canucks. They're indirectly exposing who they are as people, and its sickening to know that people can actually be that vile, delusional and stupid.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
Jimmy Murphy, Boston-based ESPN reporter, actually buying the "self-defense" argument and trying to somehow blame Salo for taking a "kamikaze" run at Marchand. Pure comedy.
This is my point and it has been totally ignored and in all honesty is just deplorable. The only purpose of the self defense argument and the media in Boston buying into it is to build a case for a lesser punishment. I hate to say it but shanahan may buy this tripe and let him off with a fine.

Last edited by Biggest Canuck Fan: 01-08-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpaulson View Post
The Bruins and the people associated with them (media and fan base) need to stop trying to down play what happened. Marchard wanted to hurt Salo, he punched him (twice) prior to the hit and instead of going for the puck along the broads, he decided to go low and deck out Salo. He may have not intended to concuss Salo or leave him with a severe injury; but it's clear he wanted to get the better of Salo. In which he did. Now he and the media and fans are trying to spin this as Salo was the bad guy and Marchand's the victim. Are you serious? Whatever, they can say whatever the hell they want, because they aren't even describing the canucks. They're indirectly exposing who they are as people, and its sickening to know that people can actually be that vile, delusional and stupid.
you expect that from the BAHston BRUINS?! hahahahah they will deny EVERYTHING even with video footage and will attack another team for doing the exact same thing.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
It's shocking that so many people who follow hockey, and some who professionally COVER the NHL; do not understand the difference between this incident and an hip check. Seriously right...#getaclue.

And now, "6'5" Sami Salo is apparently the second coming of Scott Stevens.
The really incredible thing is that people donít seem to register that Salo didnít have the puck.

If Salo was stickhandling in off the blueline and Marchand throws that hit Ö itís a bit marginal and pretty terrible/dangerous technique but I wouldnít be too upset.

But to cut out the knees like that of a non-eligible target as heís skating in to play the puck and has no reason to expect to be hit is just as dirty as it gets. Gutless play.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
This is my point and it has been totally ignored and in all honesty is just deplorable. The only purpose of the self defense argument and the media in Boston. Urging into it is to build a case for a lesser punishment. I hate to say it but shanahan may buy this tripe and let him off with a fine.
Then rename Shanny ****sniffer cause his heads up his ass and hes got skidmarks on his nose , just like colon campbell.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
The Poacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
you expect that from the BAHston BRUINS?! hahahahah they will deny EVERYTHING even with video footage and will attack another team for doing the exact same thing.
Yup, defened their player and then accuse the other team of whinning.

Closed Thread