HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marchand/Salo Incident UPD: Suspended 5 games + league reaction

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 647
What Marchand did was low same with Boston fans I mean like they show no respect for injured players they would probably boo Salo still if he was knocked out and back on his feet after.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
"In my opinion, if guys start protecting themselves the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because that’s the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too," Julien said. "Who knows where we’re going to go with this. I know we’re all trying hard to fix that part of the game, but it’s still there, and it’s still not fixed."

As taken from

http://www.masslive.com/bruins/index...o_vancouv.html

Old
01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
vancityoriginals

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
That can't be it, from what I heard Salo was trying to target Marchand into a concussion, not shy away from physical contact.
Thats cause he is a head hunter!!!

Check out my new av...courtesy of puck monster! They sure are giving us great material

Old
01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
David71

"Normally when I do that, the guy has the puck and the guy is coming down on me and trying to beat me," Ballard said of his hip-checking ability. "There is a difference and anybody who says there's not a difference is an idiot."

that's the difference between marchand and ballard. ballard isnt Known for "dirty plays" whoever posted videos of ballard hipcheck to marchand is clearly blind.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
"In my opinion, if guys start protecting themselves the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because thatís the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too," Julien said. "Who knows where weíre going to go with this. I know weíre all trying hard to fix that part of the game, but itís still there, and itís still not fixed."

As taken from

There is no way you could convince a jury or any sane person that Marchand was trying to "protect" himself.

All it is is a smokescreen! And they hope sheriff shanahan buys it.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:02 AM
whoshouse

Quote:
"In my opinion, if guys start protecting themselves the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because thatís the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too," Julien said. "Who knows where weíre going to go with this. I know weíre all trying hard to fix that part of the game, but itís still there, and itís still not fixed."

As taken from

Yes Salo was taking a run at Marchand.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:04 AM
embee

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the amount of fans of other teams....notably fans of our rivals, who say:

"I hate the Canucks with a passion, but that was a dirty dirty play by Marchand"

Or something along those lines. Bruin fans haven't clued into this fact yet and probably won't.

When the rest of the league sides with the "most hated team in hockey" you know it was a dirty play.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Karl Hungus

Quote:

As taken from

Thanks for the update.

Imo, that opinion is totally ridiculous. Julien is advocating that more players start doing what Marchand did when they see a routine hit coming. Is this the precident that Shanahan wants to set for the league with guys going low so they don't have to take a hit? Hockey should not turn into MMA or WWE. It's a caricature of hockey.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
David71

there's three choices for marchand's dirty play on salo.

1.he gets a fine
2.hearing but no suspenion
3.suspended 3-5games.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:11 AM
vancityoriginals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
It really is truly disgusting, I don't know what else I can say.

It's remarkable.
I got drenched in Bruin tears just going onto their main board...didn't even get to the threads...plus realized it wasn't worth my time. Hopefully the league makes a good decision and let's move on. Who else is ready for playoffs?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:13 AM
opendoor

Quote:

As taken from

Is Julien so dense that he doesn't realize how ridiculous that sounds because it's Sami Salo we're talking about? I could see that line of defense if it was Clutterbuck or Cooke coming towards Marchand, but Salo? That's like "protecting yourself" from Bouwmeester or Lidstrom.

Just a laughable and ridiculous comment. I would honestly think it was parody if I didn't know better.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Bombsy

Quote:

As taken from

I wonder if Julien really believes what he is saying here? He can't be serious. Marchand was protecting himself? That cheapshot was self-defence? It's like when Thornton said that Burrows "speared him in the throat". Can he actually say that with a straight face? I get it Julien, you're protecting your player. But you can't seriously cry that this was self-defence in any way.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:15 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
I dunno, this one actually seems like it you can argue it as more legit. He's got the puck, and the looks like it might be high enough.

Salo was interference and too low.
Who cares if that one was legal or not, I am really highlighting his intentions and the BS he spews on his actions.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombsy View Post
I wonder if Julien really believes what he is saying here? He can't be serious.
Of course he isn't. He's just trying to minimize the suspension to Marchand, the integrity of the game be damned. What a piece of human garbage.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:22 AM
cutcopy

Quote:

As taken from

This still does not make cheap shots okay.
And it's sad that players need to play with the mentality that they need to protect themselves from certain players, or certain types of hits because the league's not doing their job. Hockey's already rough as it is that extra stuff really isn't necessary.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Of course he isn't. He's just trying to minimize the suspension to Marchand, the integrity of the game be damned. What a piece of human garbage.
Well I wouldn't say garbage but he clearly does not show the respect that is so missing in the NHL right now. What Marchand did is the perfect example of how it's truly gone too far!

Old
01-09-2012, 12:26 AM
cootedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Is Julien so dense that he doesn't realize how ridiculous that sounds because it's Sami Salo we're talking about? I could see that line of defense if it was Clutterbuck or Cooke coming towards Marchand, but Salo? That's like "protecting yourself" from Bouwmeester or Lidstrom.

Just a laughable and ridiculous comment. I would honestly think it was parody if I didn't know better.
Yeah, seriously. If he had done this to Torres last year Julien might have a point. But who has he done it to? Sami Salo and Daniel Sedin, two guys who aren't going around taking "runs" at guys at all.

It's really sad that Julien is basically advocating bailing out of hits and submarining guys as a legit tactic to avoid getting "run" by noted headhunters like Salo. News flash, the end result to Salo in this instance is far worse than anything that could have happened to Marchand there.

It's funny, I've seen a few people use the self defense excuse Marchand while in the same breath asking why Salo is turning and putting himself in a bad position. Salo is turning when coming in because he's clearing not trying to take a run at him, he's bracing for contact to bump and then play the puck. But when Marchand dives down at the last second he falls over him awkwardly and we all know the end result.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombsy View Post
I wonder if Julien really believes what he is saying here? He can't be serious. Marchand was protecting himself? That cheapshot was self-defence? It's like when Thornton said that Burrows "speared him in the throat". Can he actually say that with a straight face? I get it Julien, you're protecting your player. But you can't seriously cry that this was self-defence in any way.
The protecting yourself line makes no sense. There has to be a boundary. Based on what Julia is saying it would be perfectly ok for Kesler to two hand Lucic in the face if Lucic was coming at him - cuz....well.....Kes has to protect himself, right?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

Here was Coach Vee's reaction to Julien's random babbling:

"That's a stupid comment," said the Canucks coach. "What Marchand did there, you could end a player's career doing that and I've never seen Sami Salo take a run at any player in the NHL. All I've seen Sami Salo do is play with integrity and play the right way.
http://www.theprovince.com/Some+goin...#ixzz1iw5gnrSS

Old
01-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Thanks for the update.

Imo, that opinion is totally ridiculous. Julien is advocating that more players start doing what Marchand did when they see a routine hit coming. Is this the precident that Shanahan wants to set for the league with guys going low so they don't have to take a hit? Hockey should not turn into MMA or WWE. It's a caricature of hockey.
Well thanks, I first saw it on the NHL Network that broadcast part of Julien's interview during their nightly NHL Tonight show (formerly NHL on the Fly).

I just wanted to share it.

I do know one thing the league had phased out retaliation with having the instigator rule and the 3rd man in thing too. In the old days players policed themselves and took care of things like this on the ice. It seems any player can run any other without fear on the ice now. Players can do things like Matt Cooke did to Marc Savard and nothing happens to their own safety on the ice because the players hands are tied by the league.

I think if there were consequences on the ice these things wouldn't happen to begin with. Just my opinion ... this is what the league gets for "cleaning it up".

Old
01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:

As taken from

Salo taking a 'run' at Marchand, Claude acts as if Sami is today's Scott Stevens.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:31 AM
stevecanuck16

Quote:

As taken from

Ridiculous.

First of all, whatever happened to taking a hit? Why is it okay to "protect" one's self from a clean check? Especially with a cheapshot? That's akin to saying it's okay to pop a guy with an elbow when he comes in to check you.

Furthermore, Salo was not taking a "run" of any kind. In fact, by the time Marchand bent over, Salo had already bailed on the hit, and was turning to pursue the puck that was going past, using his body to shield it from Marchand.

Seems simple enough to me.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:32 AM
KesGold17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Bruins board is just incorrigible. Not really surprising.
I was browsing through some of their comments, it's quite disgusting actually.

Got me a little rattled. They go assassinating Salo's credibility and in some cases blame the incident on him. Ridiculous.

Also, even though I liked Julien somewhat, he has totally ruined any respect I had for him with his careless comments.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Well thanks, I first saw it on the NHL Network that broadcast part of Julien's interview during their nightly NHL Tonight show (formerly NHL on the Fly).

I just wanted to share it.

I do know one thing the league had phased out retaliation with having the instigator rule and the 3rd man in thing too. In the old days players policed themselves and took care of things like this on the ice. It seems any player can run any other without fear on the ice now. Players can do things like Matt Cooke did to Marc Savard and nothing happens to their own safety on the ice because the players hands are tied by the league.

I think if there were consequences on the ice these things wouldn't happen to begin with. Just my opinion ... this is what the league gets for "cleaning it up".

Nope your bang on. Cherry's been saying it from the beginning. They need to throw out the instigator rule.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:42 AM
vanboy99

I also found it classy of Horton to give Marchand a fist pump and to say good job after Marchand was ejected from the game.

Closed Thread