HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's difficult being a Canuck fan on the internet isn't it?

Old
01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

vCash: 500
It's difficult being a Canuck fan on the internet isn't it?

I take it in good fun most of the time and am not actually bothered by it.
But any disagreement can be successfully refuted by our poor history (LMAO 41 YEAR VIRGINS) or the questionable on-ice tactics some of our players utilize.
Or on the flip side, you deal with a number of canuck homers that don't recognize any of the things the Canucks do.

How do you handle this?

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
How do you handle this?
By not joining a hockey message board.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Yammer

If you are saintly enough to manage it, try to model good behavior. Otherwise, just keep your expectations nice and low. By definition, half of the people you meet are below average!

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Last year, after game 6 vs Chicago and after game 7 vs Boston, at the risk of being radical, it was was only what I could imagine what is what like to be of colour below the Mason-Dixon line in the 1920s.

Not that I understand what that is like, but it was pretty bad.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:50 PM
tantalum

Not really.

It's far more tough being a canuck fan in real life. Historically speaking.

tantalum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:56 PM
trytobe

Far worse to be a canucks fan offline and in Vancouver. I facepalm and die a little inside whenever I hear friends, acquaintances and colleagues who are "fans" but don't educate themselves on the goings-on of the team and of the game repeat baseless rumors they hear on the radio/tv and read on the internet.

how many times have we all had to put up with people making snarky comments about how the sedins are soft or how luongo is the only reason the canucks lost in the playoffs for the last 3 seasons?

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Last year, after game 6 vs Chicago and after game 7 vs Boston, at the risk of being radical, it was was only what I could imagine what is what like to be of colour below the Mason-Dixon line in the 1920s.

This is a new Godwin's law. Claiming to be harassed like a black person in a socially segregated society.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
CloutierForVezina

Not really at all.

Don't look to pick fights or antagonize other posters and nobody will really care what team you cheer for.

Even though it's tempting, try to avoid being a white knight and rushing to defend the Canucks from the hordes of Canuck naysayers. For the vast majority of them, nothing you can possibly say and no amount of stats you can possibly post will ever get them to change their minds on the Canucks - it's just not worth it. A majority of posters, for whatever reason, still consider Ryan Miller to be a vastly superior goaltender to Luongo. Hell, even a bunch of Canuck fans think that. Who cares though? They disagree and refuse to look at stats at all, that's their own call.

When crap like "lol keslur dives ha moar like diveler!!!" gets posted, why even respond? Who cares what OrrHoweGretzky2817 thinks about the Canucks or any of their players? He's either willfully ignorant or just trying to antagonize a fan base - neither scenario paints him to be worth your time.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
Far worse to be a canucks fan offline and in Vancouver. I facepalm and die a little inside whenever I hear friends, acquaintances and colleagues who are "fans" but don't educate themselves on the goings-on of the team and of the game repeat baseless rumors they hear on the radio/tv and read on the internet.

how many times have we all had to put up with people making snarky comments about how the sedins are soft or how luongo is the only reason the canucks lost in the playoffs for the last 3 seasons?
Yeah, this is honestly worse. It makes me want to laugh at this person straight up in their face and just walk away and burn everything.

Anyways, I find there is too much of that type of fan in Vancouver that would rather talk about the shortcomings of the franchise no matter what is happening. Yeah, way to be supportive, buddy.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
sedins2233

Quote:
But any disagreement can be successfully refuted by our poor history (LMAO 41 YEAR VIRGINS) or the questionable on-ice tactics some of our players utilize.
Or on the flip side, you deal with a number of canuck homers that don't recognize any of the things the Canucks do.

How do you handle this?
What do you mean any disagreement can be successfully refuted by poor history? Unless the argument is whether we've won a cup, that is not a valid argument. If someone pulls that out, its a sure sign that they have run out of material to back them up. Attacks and abuse come from people being unhappy, if you were 100% happy with your team or whatever it is, you wouldn't feel the need to attack others (or defend it). Remember its not personal. If you find yourself in an argument, your priority should be to stick to the truth. Argue with truthful facts, not emotion.

Last edited by sedins2233: 01-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.
sedins2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Canuckommunist

You just need to apply the ignore button liberally. We don't even have it that bad honestly, imagine being a Cubs fan or a Clippers fan.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckommunist View Post
You just need to apply the ignore button liberally. We don't even have it that bad honestly, imagine being a Cubs fan or a Clippers fan.
Or the moderate Leafs fan on the trade forums here. There seem to only be 2 or 3, but statistically speaking most just keep their heads down.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:

How do you handle this?
Shrug my shoulders, realize everyone has an opinion, and then enjoy some time with my wife and son. Usually while watching a Canucks game.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Tank Hankerous*

Realize that most of those posters are plugging in their cars, shovelling snow, and putting chains on their tires while I had to take my jacket off today cuz I got too warm.

Tank Hankerous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Try my best to not get sucked into the really stupid stuff.

Otherwise I just enjoy the debate.

Most of the time you can find good people on both sides to have a discussion with. The ones who just go homer-blind are fun to poke a little, just don't go to deep down the rabbit hole.

I'm actually more depressed by fellow Canucks fans more often than not. That's the only thing that gets to me. Some of our hardcores say the silliest things.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
How do I handle it? I remember that those who aren't using logic or reason to support their arguments and opinions about the Canucks aren't really worth getting stressed about in the least. I have no time or interest in being upset about things I have no control over.

And if you want to go one further than that you can keep in mind that the opinions of everyone aside for your closest friends and family are completely unimportant.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Red

Some of the things said in other forums are beyond the imagination. Omg. It's frustrating and I'm dumb for even going to other boards but curiosity got the best of me.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Fire Benning

Ignore list.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Not really, no. Most of the time I'm just like this:

Sometimes I just can't believe the **** I read so I logic or ragetype for 5 minutes then:

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
TacitEndorsement

Sometimes I start to write something and then say ******* it and close the tab.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:41 AM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

vCash: 50
It has definitely been a chore in the last 6 months. It has not been edifying, indeed not.

Today though, I think a ray of light has finally begun to appear through the cloud masses. The rest of the hockey world is finally starting to clue in to the fact that blatantly injuring players is actually worse than yapping between whistles, and the mind-numbing smear campaign against the Canucks is losing steam thanks to a certain team and fanbase who go so far beyond the pale that it's becoming impossible to ignore.

As for the main boards, just don't get sucked in. Don't be one of our self-appointed ambassadors who take it upon themselves to ferret out anything negative said about the Canucks and "instruct" the offending party on why the Canucks are awesome and they're idiots. When visiting another team board, if you can't say anything nice or at least neutral, don't say anything at all. Just my feeling on the subject.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
flack

Online.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Not really, no. Most of the time I'm just like this:

Sometimes I just can't believe the **** I read so I logic or ragetype for 5 minutes then:

This post needs more love.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:27 AM
boringasheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post

Lmao are you serious

boringasheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Sometimes I wonder if this board would be a more civilized place if you had to post under your real name.

Not that I would want people trying to find each other in real life to take it past anything but a discussion on a message board. I just think if you didn't have the ability to hide behind a username you would choose your words more carefully.

The end of trolling? Not quite, but a good start.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote