HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Book You Read and Rate It (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
LSnow

vCash: 500
Read new book from Dan Brown. It was pretty boring, but enjoyable enough. Sad that i have a habit of buying everything from a writer when he publishes a one good book, in this case Angels and demons.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
StringerBell

I just finished Silver Linings Playbook, and I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. The casual writing style, although perfectly in line with Pat's 1st person POV, gave the novel a disjointed sort of feeling. I did however prefer the book's ending to the fairytale one presented in the movie.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
abe jr

vCash: 403
Dad is Fat- Jim Gaffigan 6/10

Old
06-14-2013, 09:58 AM
stingo

Let's talk diabetes with owls - David Sedaris

The first new book of essays from Sedaris in quite some time. I wasn't thrilled with his last book - When you're engulfed in flames, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean, how many personal essays can one guy possibly write? He has to run out of material at some point, right?

No.

I thought his material was getting thin with his last book, but the long break in between books has given Sedaris some much needed time. And in that time funny things have happened to him. Almost all the essays in this collection at least made me smile, and more than a few made me laugh out loud.

If you're a fan of Sedaris, you need to check this out.

8.4/10

Old
06-14-2013, 10:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Interesting premise where aliens visit, don't give a hoot that we're here and leave. The real story is how humanity deals with the artifiacts they leave behind as if it were trash left behind after a "roadside picnic." Some have no use, one powers cars indefinitely and one mysterious and yet to be obtained artifiact is said to grant wishes. The main character is a "stalker" who makes a living by retrieving alien artifiacts from a quarantined zone and selling them to the highest bidder, be it an official research institute or a shady person with cash in hand.

Really enjoyed this book. Its split up into 4 sections, 3 of which focus on the main character and one on a good friend of the main character. 8/10, would read again.
If you're not aware of the movie that is loosely inspired by the book, Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, it gets my highest possible recommendation.

I read Roadside Picnic earlier this year too (being a huge fan of the movie) and enjoyed it as well.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
kihei

vCash: 1127

The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas: I read this when I was a kid and got an urge to read it again. It's great. Dumas is a wonderful story teller and his novel has everything, action, romance, intrigue, great villains, and great heroes--in fact, some of the most vivid characters in the history of fiction. A lot of it is very funny, but the end is surprisingly dark. I'd recommend this book to anybody.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Detroit: An American Autopsy

6/10. Interesting stuff but a little touristy feeling. Some good writing but also a few phrases or sentences made me cringe.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

East of Eden - John Steinbeck

Included the image of the movie for the fact that I put off reading the book for years having been a fan of the film. Little did I know that the book spans generations before Cal and Aron.

Been reading this book for the last month, and like the movie it's perfection. Just adds more context to the film, 400 pages worth of context.

The mot in depth novel I've ever read. Steinbeck tackles all literary devices and themes of his time and puts it into one book. It's amazing.

Only problem I had with the book is trying to separate a mental image of Cal as James Dean to a dark haired ugly version of Cal.

10/10

Old
06-23-2013, 01:27 AM
kihei

Leaf Storm and Other Stories, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Leaf Storm is a novella that functions as a prequel to Marguez's masterful One Hundred Years of Solitude, depicting the same small town and introducing some of the same characters who we will get to know better in the later work. It opens with a brilliant description of the leaf storm that shaped the fate of Macondo, but, in truth, I found it intermittently tough sledding the rest of the way. However the six short stories that accompany the novella present magic realism in its most imaginative and engrossing form. Among other things, the various stories focus on a broken-down angel, a drowned man that a town adopts, a ghostly ocean liner, and a vendor of miracles. These tales lend credence to the fact that Marquez is one of the 20th century's most gifted writers.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:45 PM
w2427

Looking to pick up a horror/post apocalyptic/zombies themed novel. It can be a series or just one book. Along the lines of The Road/World War Z, I'm curious to what is out there but preferably one that was written fairly recent (post 1950s). Any suggestions?

Old
06-23-2013, 02:56 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

William Faulkner - Soldier's Pay. 6/10.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:20 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Leaf Storm and Other Stories, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Leaf Storm is a novella that functions as a prequel to Marguez's masterful One Hundred Years of Solitude, depicting the same small town and introducing some of the same characters who we will get to know better in the later work. It opens with a brilliant description of the leaf storm that shaped the fate of Macondo, but, in truth, I found it intermittently tough sledding the rest of the way. However the six short stories that accompany the novella present magic realism in its most imaginative and engrossing form. Among other things, the various stories focus on a broken-down angel, a drowned man that a town adopts, a ghostly ocean liner, and a vendor of miracles. These tales lend credence to the fact that Marquez is one of the 20th century's most gifted writers.
Would you recommend? I quite enjoyed OHYoS.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Would you recommend? I quite enjoyed OHYoS.
For the novella--yes, but only because of its prequel nature (and for the first two pages, the description of the leaf storm, which is worth the price of admission alone). For the short stories: I'd strongly recommend. I found it a pleasure just to linger over the incredibly imaginative language and the images. If you haven't read them, I'd also enthusiastically recommend Love in the Time of Cholera and Of Love and Other Demons. Pllus his non-fiction work, News of a Kidnapping.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Just finished three books this past month:

Inferno:

Fun book, one of his better ones IMO. I don't think Brown is a literary genius by any part, but I liken his books to good popcorn flicks, and this was a good popcorn flick. 8/10.

The 5th Wave:

Another fun book, for a 'young adult' book, it was pretty dark. I think there were some parts I thought were a little far fetched, but heard they were making a movie out of the series, and I think it will translate well. 8/10.

Kill Me If You Can:

I think this was a page turner, but a little bit corny and predicatable at times. I enjoyed though, would probably see a movie if they made one, but wouldn't read it again. 7/10

Not sure what I'm going to read next though... I have several waiting; Ship of Magic, Mistborn, The Stranger, and The Boys of Summer. Might re-read World War Z though; a lot of the movie was unfamiliar to me, so I'm not sure if I finished it in the first place, or if they changed a bunch!

Old
06-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Alexei Yashin

A quick read, but a goodie. Without spoilers: It's told through the eyes of a Roman officer, stories about his life in the legions, friendships, bonds and how Britain foresaw the collapse of Rome.

Fictional, of course.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Soapy3PO
Rookie User

Push by Sapphire

Overall good read if you're looking for an emotional story that gets you hooked. You have to kind of get used to the style of which the book is written since its in the main character's POV and she's practically illiterate and speaks in Ebonics.

I'll admit the book did make me tear up like the movie Precious did, but there are some (rare) funny moments. After I was done reading it made me think and ponder other storylines.

Rate: 9.75/10 Really good book and I recommend it but like I said, you have to get used to the style its written in.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:51 PM
kihei

The Madman of Bergerac, by Georges Simenon: Simenon's Inspector Maigret represents the best of the vintage detective series largely because the writing is so economic and deceptively simple--there is a reason why Hemingway thought very highly of Simenon. Maigret works out of Paris, but he often ends up mucking about in the provinces somewhere. Simenon is very adept at presenting a rather blase, deceptively ordinary detective who is nonetheless very good at figuring out the intricacies of the criminal mind. I don't think this one is among the best in the series because the ending is too convoluted but he is still one of those writers that is a delight to read. His best works make for perfect summer reading on a beach or in a plane.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Ceremony
Unravelled

vCash: 0

USA Trilogy - John Dos Passos

I did Manhattan Transfer in my 20s America class last year and it compelled me to read this, for some reason. It's three books in one and if nothing else you get that scale from it. It took me about two months to read it (I think) which I wouldn't recommend because of the sheer volume of content. It tells the story in three ways, straight forward narratives focusing on twelve main characters (who all interact with each other in various ways and who by-and-large are completely insufferable), "Newsreel" sections made up of newspaper headlines, song lyrics and newspaper clippings and "Camera Eye" sections which are stream of consciousness narratives.

It covers what was happening in America from before the First World War up the great depression, focusing on all the major events in American history over that time, there's sections focusing on important American figures as well as how the people in America reacted to the war, class warfare with the IWW emerging, then the aftermath of the war in the 20s and how society was changing as that went on. It is absolutely massive and I'd like to read it again with a chart to keep track of everyone in it because there's that many names and it's so long you can lose track even if you're reading it regularly, but I can honestly say reading it was an enriching experience.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If you're not aware of the movie that is loosely inspired by the book, Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, it gets my highest possible recommendation.

I read Roadside Picnic earlier this year too (being a huge fan of the movie) and enjoyed it as well.
Its on my list! I watched Solaris recently also by Tarkovsky and enjoyed it. I need to find time to be alone with it though, his movies don't allow for any disctractions to be around.

Old
06-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Peter Zezel

My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing - Angelo Dundee, Bert Sugar

I'm not a huge boxing fan, but obviously know the essentials. However Dundee crams so such boxing history and interesting boxing stories in this book it's amazing. He's one of those guys you'd ask one question then he'd go off weaving in 100's of stories and you'd sit there with your mouth open like a sponge. Heck of a story teller and the world lost a great man last year. RIP Angelo Dundee.

9/10

Old
06-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Z0S0
Gomie is my Homie

Send a message via MSN to Z0S0
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot more this year (a lot on the GO Train) things all over the place like; the Stand, Pet Semetary, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, World War Z, City of Thieves, Bullpen Gospels etc.

I'm just wondering what are some nice and easy (but good) reads for at the cottage?

Thanks

Old
07-02-2013, 12:54 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0S0 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot more this year (a lot on the GO Train) things all over the place like; the Stand, Pet Semetary, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, World War Z, City of Thieves, Bullpen Gospels etc.

I'm just wondering what are some nice and easy (but good) reads for at the cottage?

Thanks
The Name of the Wind
The Wise Man's Fear

Both by Patrick Rothfuss. Wise Man's Fear is the second book of the series. These are two the most engrossing stories I've read in a while. Easy reads and very enjoyable.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0S0 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Ceremony
Unravelled

vCash: 0

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

The first of his novels, and it's a strange read. The style varies third person talking about someone's past, then the present, and it's got lines in it as if from a play (ie dialogue and stage directions, it's like it wasn't finished).

It's also split up into sections beyond just the regular chapters, each with a title. This makes the whole thing seem really disjointed, reading about it I see it was sort of thrown together out of an earlier short story that didn't work and some other stuff, and it shows.

Aside from the structure which doesn't really let you sit back and relax when you're reading it, I'm not sure how to feel about Amory Blaine, the person it's about. The point is that it follows him and shows how he and the people he knows are corrupted by wealth and the chase for it, and while at the end you're supposed to feel sympathy for him I can't, given he's been a vain, conceited posh boy for the whole book prior to the last twenty pages.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
8/10

Closed Thread