HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Book You Read and Rate It (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Shadowtron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Picked up "The Name of the Rose" because I wanted something good to read and you guys had mentioned it. Is the whole book as difficult to read as the 1st chapter was??
Yes! Hehehe

Old
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
bostone737

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, 100/10. Up until now, Catch-22 was the best book I've ever read. David Copperfield was the most beautiful and challenging book I have ever read. It is absolutely criminal that that bozo who does magic tricks tarnishes this name. Never have I read a book where as the author had such a command of language. I literally had to google or look up in a dictionary at about 50 words, foreign to me, yet undeniably, the most appropriate, perfect words to use. It's about a child(David Copperfield) who has a cruel upbringing, and how he succeeds in life and the strange characters he encounters. He's probably the purest, most innocent character I've ever encountered in a novel. I picked this book up because I saw some of you guys raving over Great Expectations. When I went o the library they did not have that, so I got David Copperfield, and I will no doubt be getting Great Expectations in the immediate future.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, 100/10. Up until now, Catch-22 was the best book I've ever read. David Copperfield was the most beautiful and challenging book I have ever read. It is absolutely criminal that that bozo who does magic tricks tarnishes this name. Never have I read a book where as the author had such a command of language. I literally had to google or look up in a dictionary at about 50 words, foreign to me, yet undeniably, the most appropriate, perfect words to use. It's about a child(David Copperfield) who has a cruel upbringing, and how he succeeds in life and the strange characters he encounters. He's probably the purest, most innocent character I've ever encountered in a novel. I picked this book up because I saw some of you guys raving over Great Expectations. When I went o the library they did not have that, so I got David Copperfield, and I will no doubt be getting Great Expectations in the immediate future.
You might also want to give Bleak House a try. Not sure where it ranks amongst Dickens fans, but I enjoyed it.

Old
03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Freedomov76

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - An enthusiastic 5/5
Man, I haven't had this much pure fun with a book in a while. As a child of the 80's this was perfect for me. Highly addictive reading. Somebody make "The Oasis" happen now!!

Old
03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
kihei

vCash: 3140

Lisbon: War in the Shadows of the City of Light, 1939-45, Neill Lochery: I enjoy reading about places that I have visited and liked, and so I picked up this history of Lisbon during the World War II. It doubles as a biography of Portuguese dictator Antonio de Oliveira Salazar, a controversial figure, who managed to maintain Portugal's neutrality throughout the war, despite pressure from the Brits, the Yanks and the Germans to start doing this and stop doing that. Sections of the text are on the dry side, but there is interest in seeing how all the different spy apparatuses functioned in Lisbon during this period when German and British diplomats might have tables at the same restaurant, and how Salazar managed to walk a fine line between collaboration and support in any number of complex circumstances. On one level, it is a book about the inner workings of diplomacy with the Germans largely preoccupied elsewhere and the Brits playing the game with tact and intelligence, often tempering the more bull-in-a-china-shop approach even then favoured by the Americans. Under Salazar, Portugal more than held its own with all these major players.

Lisbon was the central terminus for European refugees who were seeking desperately to leave Europe (for those of you who are familiar with the film Casablanca, Lisbon was the real life Casablanca). While thousands of Jews escaped concentration camps and death because of Portugal's visa policies, Salazar never took the step of condemning Germany for the Holocaust. In Portugal's case, neutrality looks like it was a very complicated game to play.

Old
03-09-2012, 07:11 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
You might also want to give Bleak House a try. Not sure where it ranks amongst Dickens fans, but I enjoyed it.
i probably will eventually. I have a fairly good sized stack of books I'd like to get through first, but I plan on reading pretty much everything Dickens has written.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Daynz
What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I just said I hoped he was being sarcastic. It's almost like a satirical take on the usual response to Ayn Rand's tepid, meandering ultra-long book among young, malleable, would-be industrialists. It's not a novel. It's a terribly written and poorly disguised philosophical manifesto.

10/10, really? Was the prose sharp, were the characters so well developed, did the plot suck you in and never let go?

It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with how bad it is as a novel.

edit: Read over the original review again... It's so over the top that I'm still thinking it's a satirical response.
I'm named after the protagonist. My mother has apologized repeatedly since.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Daynz
What!?!

Attachment 53685
The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan. 8/10

Attachment 53687
Sherwood by Parke Godwin. 9/10 He is an amazing author.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:56 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

The Wheel of Time book 5:The Fires of Heaven. 8/10. I liked it a lot better then book 4 which some people consider one of the best in the series. So much happens in the last 100 pages it's crazy. Already have book 6 in my possession.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
seemsayin

Reading The Iliad now
10/10

Old
03-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Picked up "The Name of the Rose" because I wanted something good to read and you guys had mentioned it. Is the whole book as difficult to read as the 1st chapter was??
I apologize if I misled you. I'm actually a big fan of the movie, and while I've owned the book for years, I haven't actually read it because of how difficult I've heard that the language is. I'm looking forward to reading it eventually, but, yeah, it's mostly the movie that I was praising. Sorry about that. Hopefully, you'll still be able to make it through the book and you won't have wasted money because of something that I said. Either way, maybe if you discover and like the movie because of it, it won't be so bad.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:06 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I apologize if I misled you. I'm actually a big fan of the movie, and while I've owned the book for years, I haven't actually read it because of how difficult I've heard that the language is. I'm looking forward to reading it eventually, but, yeah, it's mostly the movie that I was praising. Sorry about that. Hopefully, you'll still be able to make it through the book and you won't have wasted money because of something that I said. Either way, maybe if you discover and like the movie because of it, it won't be so bad.
Concerning reading The Name of the Rose, it's not that tough once you get going. Dive in. It's like the best Sherlock Holmes/Doctor Watson type combo since Arthur Conan Doyle.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:05 PM
KapG

Joe Abercrombie -- The Heroes

7/10

Old
03-11-2012, 02:29 PM
bostone737

More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon, 6/10. Was pretty OK, I could see the show Heros or the book Darwin's Radio being influenced by it. I found it a little confusing, some of the characters were hard to keep track of and the timeline seemed messy. Maybe too much psychoanalysis for my taste. I dunno

Old
03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

I finished A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and I'm 3/4 of the way through A Storm of Swords.

I've enjoyed all three of them but it's tough to rate each of them individually, as they don't really have complete closure at the end of each book, it's easier to classify it as one giant book than it is to find each book having that closure, like the Harry Potter series for example.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:56 PM
bostone737

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, 10/10, and I really don't like Vampires and the stupidity of that legend. Matheson did a great job of trying to be scientific about it all though, trying to explain the garlic effect on them, why bullets don't kill them, and my favorite was what the cross does, or why it effects some and not others.. Crosses don't work on Jewish Vampires!

Only thing that annoyed me about this book, the exact book shown above, was that I am Legend is only about 170 pages or so, then it's followed by a series of unrelated short stories, which there is no indication on the cover or anything written inside it to warn the reader. So about 3 shorts stories after that, I realized they had nothing to do with I a Legend, so I called it quits.. Not a huge fan of them. But that's just a criticism of that book, not I am Legend itself, which was fantastic and I highly recommend. It's not like the movie really at all, so it's not like the movie ruins the book.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

I just finished The Great Gatsby. It's simple and easy to understand but has such a fantastic element of art. Every word fits in so perfectly, every thought and every idea is presented so purely that you forget it's a novel from Fitzgerald's mind and you just end up living in this world he creates. A world 90 years ago but feels like home.

I'm not good at reviewing or analyzing like this, I'd love to hear what other people think of the book and the aura it has. I'm just blown away right now, the emotions it evoked startled me. I was not prepared to be so drawn in and so vulnerable.

Read it.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2400
The Camel Club

I won't rate it, since I haven't read enough books to have a good rating scale, but this book is amazing.

03-12-2012, 05:47 AM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I just finished The Great Gatsby. It's simple and easy to understand but has such a fantastic element of art. Every word fits in so perfectly, every thought and every idea is presented so purely that you forget it's a novel from Fitzgerald's mind and you just end up living in this world he creates. A world 90 years ago but feels like home.

I'm not good at reviewing or analyzing like this, I'd love to hear what other people think of the book and the aura it has. I'm just blown away right now, the emotions it evoked startled me. I was not prepared to be so drawn in and so vulnerable.

Read it.

I didn't enjoy it at all... Just curious, do you read a lot? or just casual? Great Gatsby is supposedly, a literary classic, I just don't see it.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, 10/10, and I really don't like Vampires and the stupidity of that legend. Matheson did a great job of trying to be scientific about it all though, trying to explain the garlic effect on them, why bullets don't kill them, and my favorite was what the cross does, or why it effects some and not others.. Crosses don't work on Jewish Vampires!

Only thing that annoyed me about this book, the exact book shown above, was that I am Legend is only about 170 pages or so, then it's followed by a series of unrelated short stories, which there is no indication on the cover or anything written inside it to warn the reader. So about 3 shorts stories after that, I realized they had nothing to do with I a Legend, so I called it quits.. Not a huge fan of them. But that's just a criticism of that book, not I am Legend itself, which was fantastic and I highly recommend. It's not like the movie really at all, so it's not like the movie ruins the book.

That damn book tricked me too! Hehehe Never realized I Am Legend was only a novella. I grabbed it thinking, alright 300-400 pages of horror goodness and then, like you, 171 pages later I'm tricked into short stories lol

Old
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
I didn't enjoy it at all... Just curious, do you read a lot? or just casual? Great Gatsby is supposedly, a literary classic, I just don't see it.
It is a book that is completely driven by its dialogue. Which to me, didn't cut it at all. I was indifferent about it, leaning towards "meh" more than anything.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Power Forward

Powered through the final half of The Stand by Stephen King in 2 days after taking two weeks to read the first half.

Great book, it has been a long time since I have been unable to put a book down. It's a pretty predictable read with regards to what happens to the charecters, though the climax comes at a shock. Not a twist, just a "I can't believe that happened" kind of thing.

Read it! NOW!!

Also, Randall Flagg is a great literary villain, if for nothing else the fact that King leaves the vast majority of his character up to the reader.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Powered through the final half of The Stand by Stephen King in 2 days after taking two weeks to read the first half.

Great book, it has been a long time since I have been unable to put a book down. It's a pretty predictable read with regards to what happens to the charecters, though the climax comes at a shock. Not a twist, just a "I can't believe that happened" kind of thing.

Read it! NOW!!

Also, Randall Flagg is a great literary villain, if for nothing else the fact that King leaves the vast majority of his character up to the reader.
the stand is awesome

Old
03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
I read a lot, yeah. Mostly classic books. (explanation of Gatsby below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It is a book that is completely driven by its dialogue. Which to me, didn't cut it at all. I was indifferent about it, leaning towards "meh" more than anything.
It doesn't have much of a plot but it's driven by its mind-blowing prose. I've read a lot and there are those times where you can see that the author is on a roll and he just paints a marvelous picture in your head with ideas that you would have never pieced together but fit in perfectly.

The opening scene and the last last scene of Gatsby are almost perfect. Roger Ebert has a piece on the book actually. My favorite passage was about the green light from across the bay, Daisy's light which Gatsby was staring at every night and when they were re-introduced Nick talks about having your dream realized but being unfulfilled (or something). It just moved me.

Beautifully written.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
kihei

Glenn Gould: Music & Mind, by Geoffrey Payzant: A very informative look at Canada's most famous and most eccentric classical musician, an artist who revolutionized Bach performance practice in a manner that is still today both praised and vilified in about equal measure depending upon the commentator. The first edition of this book was produced when Gould was still alive, and Payzant actually got the ultra-reclusive artist to participate in its construction. It's a wide-ranging look both into Gould's idiosyncratic way of dealing with a diverse collection of baroque, classical and modern composers and into some of his very curious professional and life-style choices, including abandoning live performance altogether for the greater control that a recording studio affords. A helpful book about a unique creative mind.

edit: If it is a choice between the Mark Kingwell biography of Gould and this one, this one wins hands down.

Last edited by kihei: 03-13-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Closed Thread