HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did the Soviets Ever Win?

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ignore the political aspect on that front, think of the Ajax school of soccer and how they teach soccer, Dutch players know how to play in a 4-3-3 almost instinctively because of how their particular style is implemented in the youth programs. The system is the key, it's a uniform approach and it works.
Just when I thought it's time to mention Ajax, you deliver.
Maybe a system can make a player look better than he really is. Then again, a system like the Dutch requires every single player on the pitch to fulfill his task. If only one player fails to do so, the whole system falls apart. You don't move in the right place at the right time and the whole setup becomes dysfunctional. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football) says quite rightly that totaalvoetbal "places high technical and physical demands" on the players. Add tactical demands. I've never heard anyone saying Johan Cruijff wasn't really one of the best players ever and that it was the system that made him look good. Or watch Edgar Davids in the 2004 European Championship against the Czech Republic and tell me it's the the system that makes him look brilliant.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:35 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
No it really didn't. It is great that the Soviets were beating up on the also rans in the WC but it has no bearing on what would happen best on best even if you interpret the results to mean they were at a peak of beating up on the also rans.

The only time a Team Canada with a reasonable amount of prep time loses is in single elimination - flukes being the nature of single elimination. In a series - we win any time, any place.

Everyone is the best at something. And I am not settling for maple syrup.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Reds4Life

Quote:
No it really didn't. It is great that the Soviets were beating up on the also rans in the WC but it has no bearing on what would happen best on best even if you interpret the results to mean they were at a peak of beating up on the also rans.

The only time a Team Canada with a reasonable amount of prep time loses is in single elimination - flukes being the nature of single elimination. In a series - we win any time, any place.

Agreed. Even if talent level was even (it is not), Canada simply has that mental edge..go all in, all the time.
Even today, no other nation can match that over a best-vs-best series IMHO, so Canada would win pretty much all the time. US would probably be the toughest opponent assuming the game was played on the small rink.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:51 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
What is this based off of? 1972 Summit Series is the only good example of this and was 4-3-1. If that's all you're basing this off then I'm not sure if that statement can be so boldly proclaimed. Soviets and Canadians were about even.
1972 is pretty irrelevant anyway since Canada merely beat an also-ran.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

And that's why people are annoyed with Canadian fans and consider them worse than English football fans.

A - single elimination games matter..... You lost vs Sweden, Czech Rep., Finland, USA, Russia, all the other big countries over the past few Olympics and completely failed to deliver (no medals) in the tournament that weren't held in NA

B - even the series thing is suspect.
1972 was won on the back on a cheap shot and a deliberate injury to a player, and 1987 was Koharski-ed, regardless of how ridiculously great that Canadian team was.

That said, the ONLY real series was the Summit Series, and like most people will agree, it was really close, and who knows what would've happened had Ferguson and Clarke not went neanderthal on Kharlamov.
******* it, I could win games that way. If they're better, injure them, til they play someone who isn't better than me.
Awesome concept really.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:00 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
This is the only exception I can think of and that still took a freakishly amazing goaltending performance by Richter in the final.

I like to think that it would have been different if the best player in the world had been healthy enough to play for Canada. Not to mention missing Roy/Bourque as usual, too.

I don't know what it is exactly, but Canada seems to have a way to rachet up during series they are in tough.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:10 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
And that's why people are annoyed with Canadian fans and consider them worse than English football fans.

A - single elimination games matter..... You lost vs Sweden, Czech Rep., Finland, USA, Russia, all the other big countries over the past few Olympics and completely failed to deliver (no medals) in the tournament that weren't held in NA
Worse than soccer hooligans huh? Oh well, we are nice about everything else but we're the best in hockey. Deal with it.

Of course single elimination games matter.

They just don't really prove who is better because in any given game a lucky/bad call, bounce, or single performance can affect the outcome completely.

ie. The Miracle on Ice. They could have played each other 100 times and the Russians would have won 90 of them, but in single elimination when the stars align the US is going on for gold.

Quote:
B - even the series thing is suspect.
1972 was won on the back on a cheap shot and a deliberate injury to a player, and 1987 was Koharski-ed, regardless of how ridiculously great that Canadian team was.

That said, the ONLY real series was the Summit Series, and like most people will agree, it was really close, and who knows what would've happened had Ferguson and Clarke not went neanderthal on Kharlamov.
******* it, I could win games that way. If they're better, injure them, til they play someone who isn't better than me.
Awesome concept really.
I am the first one to admit that I am a ashamed of Clarke gooning Kharlamov - the political atmosphere doesn't really excuse it for me even if I understand it when they say so - and you're right the series was close.

However, I think that the presence of Hull/Orr would swing things in favour of Canada much more than the partial absence of Kharlamov cost the Soviets. Secondly, the Canadian players were thrown together and took the Russians lightly (and were far behind them in conditioning).

I think we would have seen a different outcome if Team Canada had all its best players and then had some prep time to familiarize themselves to each other and work on their conditioning.

The Soviets shocked the NHL players with how far they had come.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
canucksfan

I think the Callenge Cup counts as a series. The Soviets dominated the NHL quite easily.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:18 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I think the Callenge Cup counts as a series. The Soviets dominated the NHL quite easily.
I think so as well. Dismissing Soviet (or other) wins as outliers, freakish occurrences or lucky one-offs seems like a cheap argument.

If we always have to degrade our opponents, it makes our frequent victories meaningless. There is no shame in recognising an opponent's ability.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
canucksfan

If you look from 72' to 87' Canada and the Soviets were pretty much even.

72' Canada won.

74' Soviets won.

76' Canada won.

79' Challenge Cup Soviets won.

81' Soviets won

84 and 87 Canada won. Outside of the first two series all of the rest were played in North America. An advantage Canada had. The Soviets dominated the club games and the World Championships. The Soviets also won more World Juniors.

Canada also used NHL refs after 81' as well.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Just when I thought it's time to mention Ajax, you deliver.
Maybe a system can make a player look better than he really is. Then again, a system like the Dutch requires every single player on the pitch to fulfill his task. If only one player fails to do so, the whole system falls apart. You don't move in the right place at the right time and the whole setup becomes dysfunctional. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football) says quite rightly that totaalvoetbal "places high technical and physical demands" on the players. Add tactical demands. I've never heard anyone saying Johan Cruijff wasn't really one of the best players ever and that it was the system that made him look good. Or watch Edgar Davids in the 2004 European Championship against the Czech Republic and tell me it's the the system that makes him look brilliant.
Obviously the Russians had individual quality, the Green Unit would have been excellent NHL players in their primes, the point was they had an obvious team chemistry advantage over the Canadian outfits they usually faced.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:35 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That may be true up until Nagano.

In the 4 Olympics since then, Canada has won both tournaments on North American soil, but lost out in both Turin and Nagano
(though in Nagano it was just bad timing, Hasek and Jagr at the height of their games were always gonna be hard to beat, regardless of their poor supporting cast).

Canada is still #1, no doubt, but they're not dominant, nor were they at any point in the last 40 years, no matter how hard they want it to be so.

Russia?
They've had a fairly tough period post-98, but look to be coming back to life (apart from the awful outing vs Canada in Vancouver).
There wasn't any poor suporting cast. The best (overall) team won, simple as that.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:07 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
There wasn't any poor suporting cast. The best (overall) team won, simple as that.
Definitely. People seem to think that Canada dominated the Czechs and hasek won them the game. Not true. The Czechs out shot Canada and the play was even.

Old
01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Definitely. People seem to think that Canada dominated the Czechs and hasek won them the game. Not true. The Czechs out shot Canada and the play was even.
That's how I remember it as well. Canada deserved no better fate than it got.

Old
01-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Sergei DRW

1987 Canada Cup should never be mentioned as a great Canadian feat.

With normal and consistent refereeing, this trophy goes to Soviet Union 10 times out of 10.
This was the peak of the career for Larionov, Krutov, Makarov and the defense core.
Plus, the up and coming Bykov-Kamensky-Khomutov line delivered a needed second-line punch.

That whole series was "Koharski"-ed all the way.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I agree that the best team won. I don't think any of the top teams were expecting that the Czech's would use such a smothering defensive style in the '98 games. On the flip side I should say that while Jagr and Hasek were the best players in the world at the time the rest of the Czech roster got pretty thin after the top ten players or so, especially now that enough time has passed that we can look back on the career achievements of those players.

The Czech victory was well deserved but I think it was primarily due to the system they played rather than superior talent.

Old
01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
steveott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Were any Soviet players actually as good as guys like Gretzky and Lemieux(87 right)? Or is that hogwash.
Makarov quote (not exact): "we can stop/outskate gretzky but for stopping lemieux we should need a rinkwide tank")

Mario was number 1 at that tournament. Some 3 russians and gretzky were at the next tier. Overall soviets had an edge and better team.

Old
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveott View Post
Makarov quote (not exact): "we can stop/outskate gretzky but for stopping lemieux we should need a rinkwide tank")

Mario was number 1 at that tournament. Some 3 russians and gretzky were at the next tier. Overall soviets had an edge and better team.
Gretzky won MVP of that tournament

Old
01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
steveott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Gretzky won MVP of that tournament
yes he did. so what?
i have all those games taped.

BTW: makarov quote is AFTER tournament

Last edited by steveott: 01-29-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old
01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
yes he did. so what?

Just think if Gretzky, Lemieux, Hawerchuk, Borque and Macinnis were a line that played together all year. It's almost imcomprehensible to imagine how good they would have been.

Old
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
I think so as well. Dismissing Soviet (or other) wins as outliers, freakish occurrences or lucky one-offs seems like a cheap argument.

If we always have to degrade our opponents, it makes our frequent victories meaningless. There is no shame in recognising an opponent's ability.
Thankyou. I was getting pretty irritated until i read this. Well said.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei DRW View Post
1987 Canada Cup should never be mentioned as a great Canadian feat.

With normal and consistent refereeing, this trophy goes to Soviet Union 10 times out of 10.
This was the peak of the career for Larionov, Krutov, Makarov and the defense core.
Plus, the up and coming Bykov-Kamensky-Khomutov line delivered a needed second-line punch.

That whole series was "Koharski"-ed all the way.
Funny, the same Soviet team was tied 0-0 by the Canadian B team at the World Championships a few months earlier. Was that due to the refs?

Old
01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
yes he did. so what?

So do I and Gretzky was outstanding. I don't doubt Makarov thought they could outskate Gretzky. But if they could have 'stopped' him then game 3 probably would have been a good time to do it.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
This is all true, but it doesn't change the fact that before the 1981 Canada Cup, the Trio Grande Line and Denis Potvin had years to develop chemistry, while the Green Unit only had a few months.
The Trio Grande and Potvin were busy winning four straight Cups. This was secondary.

Oh and while you are laying the '81 loss at their feet, might want to look up what the legendary Toe Blake told Bill Torrey walking out on the corridor of the Coliseum immediately following NYI's game against the Soviet traveling team, February '80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
1972 is pretty irrelevant anyway since Canada merely beat an also-ran.

That's interesting. Forty years later, learn something, um, new. Care to explain?

Last edited by Trottier: 01-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old
01-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
No one here cares too much about those when the real playoffs are on.
back then, only half of the best player in the world were in the NHL. Thjere were no nhl playoffs for the soviets, czechs, swedes or finns.

Closed Thread