HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Ference

Old
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Magnum23

vCash: 500
Andrew Ference

I was very ecstatic about the signing of Andrew Ference over the summer. Like many others I agree he would be an upgrade for our defense and gives us a new identity.

However, many analyst said his flaws would be exposed dramatically in edmonton without the security of playing in Boston's system and with players such as boychuk, chara and rask. I didn't really believe those remarks at first but after watching all the games this season I'm starting to change my opinion. On some nights I think he is slightly better than nick schultz. Once we weed out guys like nick schultz, smid , greb I think he might be our #6,7 d.

My only concern is that the oilers signed him for 4 years and made him our captain so for better or for worse I can't see them giving up on him until year 4 of his contract. What do you guys think is the best fix for him? Can his style of play co-exist with our core of skilled forwards and puck moving d man? ( petry, j.schultz, belov,nurse, klefbom).

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 10-26-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Fixed it a little :)
Magnum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I don't think he's been that bad.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I don't think he's been that bad.
Agreed. Ference has been one of our most consistent defenseman. He makes smart plays, always looks at the body not the puck and has a great stick. I've been impressed.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:10 PM
40oz

He's really good at twitter

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:12 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

We knew going in that he's a solid #4 with great character. Anyone expecting more than we've seen just wasn't being realistic

10-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Mint
Only One King

vCash: 50
He was always overrated.

Mint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Magnum23

I agree he hasn't been that bad. But I think the oilers system expects their top 4 d man to either make breakout passes like belov or carry the puck out like petry. I don't think ference's game is made for that style of play.

Magnum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

He's a really good #4.

He, like everyone on the Oilers is playing too high in the line up.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:28 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
He's been everything I expected. Good consistent defenceman. The only thing I'm still hoping to see is more in your face attitude and to drop the gloves a couple times this season. Need to see a but more passion, but that's been a trademark of everyone on this roster.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:31 PM
tiger_80

I don't know what you guys honestly expect from Ference. He was a 4-5D in Boston, which basically what he should be on a good team. It's not his fault that the Oilers' defence is so horrendous that he's being expected to be Christ the saviour. This team needs a No.1 and No.2 d-men in a bad way.
In the ideal world, it should be:

X-X
Petry-Ference
J.Schultz-Smid/Belov

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

He's been fine. We need someone other than Smid to play with Petry, therefore knocking everyone down a peg and into a proper slot.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:58 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Well may will disagree, it is always a point of contention. people see differnt things, but I think our D has actually been decent this year. Our goaltending has flat out sucked. With average goaltending this team could be 5-6. I think Ference has been solid.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Agreed. Ference has been one of our most consistent defenseman. He makes smart plays, always looks at the body not the puck and has a great stick. I've been impressed.
i agree....a very consistent bottom pairing defeseman....

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:12 PM
alphahelix

Ference is fairly good all-around. Not exactly what you want out there up against Crosby or when we need to score with 20 seconds remaining, but a fairly solid defender who gets physical and stands up for guys when it is called for.

We need a #1 d-man to settle out the depth chart... If only we had OEL or maybe even Yandle... Or one of their prospects. Oh well.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:22 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Ference is fairly good all-around. Not exactly what you want out there up against Crosby or when we need to score with 20 seconds remaining, but a fairly solid defender who gets physical and stands up for guys when it is called for.

We need a #1 d-man to settle out the depth chart... If only we had OEL or maybe even Yandle... Or one of their prospects. Oh well.
Well we do have a guy name Nurse and a guy named Klefbom. I think our prospects are fine. Of course having Yandle or OEL would be nice though. More than anything we need goaltending.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:26 PM
MessierII

He's looked like a solid top 4 guy exactly what I was expecting.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:05 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
He doesn't make many brutal plays, but he doesn't make many awesome plays either. I thought he'd be better than this. Thought he might actually make our blueline look semi-respectable. I was asking for too much.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:06 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well we do have a guy name Nurse and a guy named Klefbom. I think our prospects are fine. Of course having Yandle or OEL would be nice though. More than anything we need goaltending.
I guess I'm a pessimist who has never really believed in Klefbom (But praying for him nonetheless). Nurse is excellent but a long way from being consistent/reliable contributor for top NHL minutes. Fact is, we could probably benefit from jettisoning more than a handful of our current "NHL" top 9 D. Teams like Nashville and Phoenix have "prospects" that are a lot further along the curve than most of our guys (they have actual high-end D depth that keeps minutes low and newbies in junior).

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
i agree....a very consistent bottom pairing defeseman....
That's a pretty damn good bottom pairing defenseman then. He's played more like a solid #4 so far. As he gets older and Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin come up he'll get pushed down the lineup.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:16 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

i thought tonight was his worst as an oiler. ference contract not measured in G or As, but W or Ls.

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Ference has been overall quite good so far. There is quite of list of Oilers I would blame for the crap start and he would be low on it.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:37 PM
CB420

Hes an intelligent guy, and its obvious when hes interviewed, and that translates on the ice with his hockey IQ. He would have been welcomed on this team years ago after Pronger left. Plus he's got some cool tattoos.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:18 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

From most of the responses here after he was signed... I thought people in general were overrating/overvaluing Ference.

I think the strongest assets Ference has are the "intangibles"... leadership, character, strong leader in the dressing room and a great guy in the community. A fan and player favourite.

Saying all that... I've always viewed him as a#4/#5 dman. That's not a bad thing but on the Oilers... there is an abundance of those types... Smid/NSchultz/Petry are all 2nd pairing type players at best and honestly Belov looks like he is as well at this stage... way too early to say he has top pairing potential. Justin Schultz is actually bottom pairing in his defensive abilities but obviously makes up for that somewhat being the only offensive blueliner.

Guys like Potter/Grebeshkov/Larsen obviously aren't going to make this d-group stronger either.

So we had Ference coming in who was a solid #4/#5 and that was somehow supposed to make this roster better defensively. Well yes he adds some decent depth but I can't say he's been much better than "average" or "decent" either. He really hasn't stuck out in a positive or negative way... so just another average component to an already poor/mediocre set of dmen.

He may have very marginally improved the group but honestly they are so mediocre that you really aren't going to notice the difference in terms of wins/losses. They seriously needed a more dramatic shakeup that a clear #1/#2 dman would bring... and that would then slide everyone down a notch closer to where they belong.

Ference NEEDS to be a #4/#5 if your team is going to have a solid defense... any higher of a role than that for that type of player and you are just back on the mediocre hamster wheel once again... forever spinning and going nowhere until they either acquire or develop AT LEAST 1 top pairing dman (and preferably 2).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:18 AM
MikeModano9

He's essentially a solid 4/5 Dman and with hopefully the emergence of Nurse and Klefa onto our team in the next couple years he can be effective for us in that role.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:31 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 989
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
We just need to make a trade for Chara, and he'll be lights-out good.

If I had to pick one word to describe him so far, it would be: underwhelmed. He certainly hasn't been awful, but he's also not looking like a team-leading captain on there, to me. Hope he can pick his game up a notch or two.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote