HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reaves Signs Two-Year Extension

Old
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
h22prelude93

vCash: 500
Reaves Signs Two-Year Extension

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced Monday the club has signed forward Ryan Reaves to a two-year contract extension.

“Ryan has shown dedication and a strong work ethic in working his way up through our organization,” said Armstrong. “His energy and tenacity on the ice are and will continue to be an important part of our team moving forward.”

Reaves, 24, has appeared in 25 games for the Blues this season serving 48 penalty minutes.

Last season in his rookie year, the 6-foot-1, 229-pound forward recorded four points (two goals, two assists) and 78 penalty minutes in 28 games with the Blues including his NHL debut on Oct. 11, 2010 against Anaheim.

The Winnipeg, Manitoba native was originally drafted by the Blues in the 5th round, 156th overall, of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610670

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
h22prelude93

According to Strick it's 600K per year. And Pang has just confirmed that it's a one-way deal.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Good for him. I'm happy he gets a one way deal. I think he is a great fourth liner.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
HooliganX2

He's a good 4th liner. I like the signing I actually think he has some untapped offensive ability. I could see him getting 5-10 goals and 20 points or so if given the chance.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:35 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Good! glad for him he gets rewarded for the energy that he brings, great 4th liner!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Glad to see it!

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
love his game.. I wanted him to play a lot more last year.. stuck with Cam instead lol

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
BluesRiver

Nice!

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Good to see, I love his game as well.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
EOM

Not a bad signing. The only thing that concerns me is when Tarasenko and/or Schwartz get here, the Blues are going to have a ton of forward depth. Will there really be a spot for a tough guy? Not that Reaves doesn't ever play decent hockey, but the Blues may have better options down the road.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Not a bad signing. The only thing that concerns me is when Tarasenko and/or Schwartz get here, the Blues are going to have a ton of forward depth. Will there really be a spot for a tough guy? Not that Reaves doesn't ever play decent hockey, but the Blues may have better options down the road.
I think Reaves will play over guys like Crombeen, Porter, Nichol. He really never will be more then a 4th liner so he shouldn't be competing with guys like Tarasenko and Schwartz. Every team needs some grit on the 4th line also.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

This signing is a no-brainer. Reaves does everything the Blues ask him to do and generates a scoring chance almost every game he's in. His skillset makes him an easy one-way choice, as he's past the time of waiver exemption anyway and would immediately get claimed. For all intents and purposes he's been one-way since the start of the season.

Let's assume for discussion purposes that Perron, Oshie and Stewart are retained (all RFAs). Let's further assume Tarasenko signs his ELC. At that point, besides Tarasenko's ELC (he won't ever go to Peoria, no way), one way contracts next season:

1. Backes
2. Perron (R)
3. Steen
4. Oshie (R)
5. McDonald
6. Berglund
7. Tarasenko
8. Stewart (R)
9. D'Agostini
10. Sobotka
11. Reaves
12. Crombeen

Options:
–Arnott (UFA)
–Langenbrunner (UFA)
–McRae (ELC final year)
–Grachev (ELC final year)
–Schwartz (possible ELC)
–Porter (UFA)
–Nichol (UFA)
–Other (UFA or trade)
–Rattie (ELC longshot if he puts on 10-15 lbs over summer and blows everyone away in camp ... I stress longshot, but being comprehensive here)

Discuss.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:18 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Tarasenko and Schwartz are competing more with guys like Langenbrunner and D'Agostini for 3rd line minutes. Sure, the old Blues of 5-6 years ago would have them in the top 6....but they have the depth and players now to have the luxury to bring rookies along a bit more slowly. I suspect Tarasenko to get special teams minutes. I'm still not convinced Schwartz makes the team out of camp, but we'll see.

Its a really interesting question whether the team re-signs Arnott or Langenbrunner. Arnott is slowing down, but he still plays with intensity and has experience that you can't teach. Langenbrunner has had some great moments, too, but I have a hard time seeing him stay in the top 9 right now, if the squad is healthy.

I could see Arnott at the 4th line center position, and that would be pretty good. A bit like Walt's last season or two. Langenbrunner is a bit tougher. He's not a player that could be the most effective 4th liner. Would you keep him on the roster and then watch him be a healthy scratch a lot of the time until injuries create a spot? Or give a chance for young rookie players to get a game off here and there?

The Blues have some interesting choices with the roster. Will McDonald be in the line-up? Next year?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

They won't place expectations on Tarasenko to be among the top 6 forwards in ice time but I think he'll simply earn it. There are things he does right now competing against NHL-sized men that are literally better than every Blues player. It's always dangerous to hype prospects – I'm very aware of that – but he's way too dangerous shift in, shift out, night in, night out for what I'm seeing to be a fluke. The physicality and speed is there. Jarmo was absolutely right about him being LONG gone from the draft if his name were John Smith. He's right up there with Hall and Seguin for impact potential as folks were saying before the draft.

I really think they'll start him out with something like 15-16 minutes a night (which includes PP time) and it's going to be one of those things like with Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk that when the skill and impact is obvious, the ice time isn't artificially held back.

I don't think he'll get minutes in the 19-20 range like Backes, Steen, Oshie and probably McDonald once he's back will, but he'll grow from 15-16 min to 17 (and occasionally more) a night in his first season, possibly as much as 18.

Above all, here's why I think that'll happen. If Chris Stewart had been moving his feet, aggressively going to the net, generating scoring chances consistently every game, he would be getting at least 18 minutes a night instead of the 16.5 or so he's averaging. And the reason is they need a forward to be that speedy, bull-rushing goal scorer. Tarasenko brings that every game I see and he has better moves at high speed than Stewart at his best. The best way to describe Tarasenko in the offensive zone is he's constantly and aggressively attacking the net and he can shoot or pass when he's doing it. He's not simply trying to use the boards to extend a cycle while shielding a guy and looking down the way Berglund typically does. He's got his head up and he's attacking defenders in an attempt to get in scoring position. Knowing how badly the Blues lack this one specific element in their current quality mix up front, I just don't see him not forcing his way into quality ice time. If he were only doing it in juniors I'd be more hesitant to assume he could do it against bigger, faster players. But he's been doing it against men and his game is more suited to an NHL rink than the wider-ice Euro rinks IMO. He's not a perimeter player. He loves to drive the net and score.

Sorry, I know this is a Reaves thread. Reaves and Tarasenko will both be on the roster for the full year next year.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Absolutely love this signing:

In addition to the other reasons listed, it's always good to see commitment towards the "home-grown" drafted talent.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
madcitypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Absolutely love this signing:

In addition to the other reasons listed, it's always good to see commitment towards the "home-grown" drafted talent.
Man, you couldn't have said it better... Being a wisconsinite, it's something I've seen a lot with the Packers, too... drafting guys and bringing them up in your own system, as opposed to trading for stars and making them fit into your system. it's great to see teams draft and "raise" their players, and make the whole system work.

madcitypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
intangible

Look, I don't mind the guy, but giving a guy with a diminishing role a one-way contract is ridiculous. All he's going to do is eat up time in the press box until we play one of the five teams with heavyweights. Yay. 25 games this year and 0 points. Yeah, real potential to be more than a fighter, guys. Better than Janssen isn't saying anything; he shouldn't be on an NHL roster, and especially not on a one-way contract. Dumb business/player management move.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Even if it turns out that Reaves doesn't have a home here in the long-run, it's still a no-brainer to re-sign the guy.

There would be plenty of interest around the league if we wanted to shop him. He's a (very) high energy guy who creates a lot of chaos when he's on the ice, can fight with pretty much anyone, who is mobile and disciplined enough to play a structured, defensively responsible game without being a liability on the ice, and who doesn't hurt his team by taking a bunch of stupid minor penalties. Sitting for extended stretches in the press box doesn't seem to affect his attitude, or the quality of his play. He's pretty much the ideal 14th forward. Personally, I don't think there's any chance he ever becomes a "20 point guy", but he definitely has a place in the modern NHL nonetheless.

The one way contract is just a formality. As PocketNines pointed out, the Blues would lose him instantly if they sent him down anyway. He's staying on someone's NHL roster no matter what.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
h22prelude93

Blues record with Ryan Reaves in since Hitchcock took over....12-3-4....And all four of those OT loses were in the shootout. He's a guy who can hit, who can skate, protect his teammates, and bring energy to the team. I love this signing. That's all I have to say.