Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scandella To Houston, McIntyre To St. Paul

Old
01-09-2012, 05:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Just use kittens instead of names or faces. People can use their imaginations...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well our top line is like a good second line, our second line is like a good third line, and our third line is like a good third line, in terms of scoring.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The 2006 Hurricanes would like a word with you. Cullen has been a 40-50 point player for his entire career, and that actually pretty well defines an average second line center. Sure, there's a few teams that have a Kesler for 2C, but the better second line centers score in the 50-60 range, but probably over half of them are in the 40-50 range.

Anyone trying to slot Wellman into a third line role probably shouldn't try critique his game though.
So tack on 6 years and we have the now 35 year old Matt Cullen who should come in again under 40 points this year.

On this yes you are correct few teams have elite second line centers like Kesler, but Cullen isn't even average. The bottom 10 second line centers in terms of point production in the NHL last year went like this starting at 10..
10)39 points in 71 gp
9)Cullen-39 points
8)38 points
7)37 points in 43 gp
6)37 points in 61 gp
5)36 points
4)35 points
3)32 points
2)26 points in 61 gp
1)17 points in 55 gp

Now remove from that list Filpulla at 10, Malkin at 7, and Bolland at 6 who all would have easily surpassed 39 points and that leaves Cullen in a pretty bad group.

Then digging even further out of the 16 playoff teams last year 5 had second line centers with 50 or more points. If you include Malkin, Connolly, S.Koivu, Bolland, and Laich who all would have reached 50 with a full heathly season thats 9/16 playoff teams. Of the remaining 7 playoff teams only 3 teams had second line centers who wouldn't have reached at least 45 points and that is Montreal (Gomez), Phoenix (Hanzal), and Nashville (Fisher).

Now if you look at this year and the teams currently in playoff contention only 4 have second line centers projected to come in under 50 points including us. The others are Ott with Turris, Florida with Kopecky, and Chicago with Bolland. That to me says something. Being strong down the middle is a quality of a playoff team and like it or not Matt Cullen just doesn't match up as that guy.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I've liked Clutter on the top line better than I've ever liked Seto there. And that's coming from someone who doesn't care for Clutter in the top 6 at all...

Seto just doesn't do much for me as long as he's being put out there with Koivu and Heatley.
I would like the team to try the lines squidz posted, just I won't believe it until I see it. Wellman's only good using his speed and he's not a grinder, so basically play him with Cullen or play him in Houston. Heatley's not leaving Koivu's wing. Johnson's useless when he's not playing with Brodziak(IMO), and even then he's been useless for the last 10 games.

So that's 3 combos, with Seto/Bouchard/Clutterbuck as the other 3. I like Bouchard best on line 1 and 2, Clutterbuck best on line 3. Seto's best fit is probably on line 2, which goes back to agreeing with the lines squidz posted. If we're afraid to throw Bouchard off a Cullen-Wellman line, then throw Seto on the 3rd line and put Clutterbuck on the top line. 8g in 30 games is unacceptable and throwing him on the 3rd line could very well motivate #10, and perhaps get Brodziak/Johnson going again.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Your ever-changing lines drives this GDT'er nuts! This is killing me trying to figure out who will be in tomorrow
That's half the fun!

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
That's half the fun!
Fun?

Minnesota hockey is torture

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Fun?

Minnesota hockey is torture
Aww...

Well, you used to make my favorite GDT's.

Old
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Aww...

Well, you used to make my favorite GDT's.
Oops! Well I was referencing a saying that was attached to the SF Giants when they won the WS. It was an attempt at mojo but an even poorer attempt at humor.

So, with McIntyre going in and Bouchard possibly being out, would you say Peters is still in the line-up? Who would you guys pencil in to replace Scandella?

Old
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Oops! Well I was referencing a saying that was attached to the SF Giants when they won the WS. It was an attempt at mojo but an even poorer attempt at humor.

So, with McIntyre going in and Bouchard possibly being out, would you say Peters is still in the line-up? Who would you guys pencil in to replace Scandella?
No worries. When people describe Wild hockey as "torture," it's usually because of our playing style. Unfortunately, the team is regressing back to its boring old ways.

It's tough to say what our offense will look like. I'd suspect McIntyre will center the 4th line, but I have no idea what will happen with Peters. It's just a guess, but Yeo might scratch Gillies before re-assigning Peters.

Scandella will be replaced with either Lundin, Falk, or Prosser.

You could check this thread for more line speculations.

Old
01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Mercy buckets, Minnesota. I appreciate the link and insight

Old
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Mercy buckets, Minnesota. I appreciate the link and insight
No problem at all.

Good luck with the GDT, I'm looking forward to it!

Old
01-09-2012, 07:02 PM
melinko

This is almost identical to last year, Scandella started off amazing then it all fell apart and they sent him down.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Your ever-changing lines drives this GDT'er nuts! This is killing me trying to figure out who will be in tomorrow
So apparently I volunteered to do the Wild's GDT for tomorrow. It wont be even a tenth as good as yours, I can promise you that. But from one GDT'er to another, could you PM me the Sharks probable lines for tomorrow so I could stick them in the thing if I manage to get it up before I go to bed around 2am or so?

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So apparently I volunteered to do the Wild's GDT for tomorrow. It wont be even a tenth as good as yours, I can promise you that. But from one GDT'er to another, could you PM me the Sharks probable lines for tomorrow so I could stick them in the thing if I manage to get it up before I go to bed around 2am or so?
Ah, I just over-produce the GDT's cause I lack humor, but thank you

PM Sent

Old
01-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I can't wait to see both GDT's!

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Good to be back in Minnesota! #StateofHockey
http://twitter.com/#!/DaveJMcIntyre/...57857003798529

Old
01-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ah, I just over-produce the GDT's cause I lack humor, but thank you

PM Sent
Sweet. Now mine will look slightly more polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I can't wait to see both GDT's!
But then again, cant polish a turd, which is what I project my GDT will be

I cant take all this pressure! I'm gonna explode! People are actually looking forward to my terrible GDT! *starts tearing hair out*

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Remember, it's just a GDT.

No pressure.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Shimoe

We all knew a message needed to be sent to this team...Scandy has been struggling --> Hopefully message recieved.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Regroup
Re-energize
Reestablish confidence.

All good.

He has all the tools.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Yeah it's a transition year, he's going to be a D that's going to with us for years to come. Best to continue his development in the AHL for the rest of the year maybe, let him try again next year or bring him up later on.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
So tack on 6 years and we have the now 35 year old Matt Cullen who should come in again under 40 points this year.

On this yes you are correct few teams have elite second line centers like Kesler, but Cullen isn't even average. The bottom 10 second line centers in terms of point production in the NHL last year went like this starting at 10..
10)39 points in 71 gp
9)Cullen-39 points
8)38 points
7)37 points in 43 gp
6)37 points in 61 gp
5)36 points
4)35 points
3)32 points
2)26 points in 61 gp
1)17 points in 55 gp

Now remove from that list Filpulla at 10, Malkin at 7, and Bolland at 6 who all would have easily surpassed 39 points and that leaves Cullen in a pretty bad group.

Then digging even further out of the 16 playoff teams last year 5 had second line centers with 50 or more points. If you include Malkin, Connolly, S.Koivu, Bolland, and Laich who all would have reached 50 with a full heathly season thats 9/16 playoff teams. Of the remaining 7 playoff teams only 3 teams had second line centers who wouldn't have reached at least 45 points and that is Montreal (Gomez), Phoenix (Hanzal), and Nashville (Fisher).

Now if you look at this year and the teams currently in playoff contention only 4 have second line centers projected to come in under 50 points including us. The others are Ott with Turris, Florida with Kopecky, and Chicago with Bolland. That to me says something. Being strong down the middle is a quality of a playoff team and like it or not Matt Cullen just doesn't match up as that guy.
It's ok, Granlund will come over and solve that problem

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:24 AM
El Nino22

I guess this is maybe a dumb question, but is it common consensus that Granlund is going to play center next year? You'd think his first year pro, playing in a NA rink, and in an extremely physical NHL that would be a lot to ask. Also just based on the fact that we still have Koivu and Cullen under contract for next, but likely Latendresse is gone wouldn't you think he would take a wing spot?

Old
01-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

i would like to see Butch on the "top line" with Koivu and Heatley. Butch has picked up a few goals around the net, i feel like he could provide a bit of a net prescence that the top line has lacked as of late.

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwildfan55 View Post
i would like to see Butch on the "top line" with Koivu and Heatley. Butch has picked up a few goals around the net, i feel like he could provide a bit of a net prescence that the top line has lacked as of late.
Problem with that is it leaves the 2nd line with no playmaker. It would have to be Wellman-Koivu-Setoguichi and Heatley-Cullen-Bouchard