HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Preds311

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
media relations = locker room
No, locker room is how he relates to coaches and players and how he makes the team better. Nothing is out there that shows he hasn't been a leader and deserving of the A.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:01 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont know. We are fans, but this is their livelihood. they have to make all the money the need for the rest of their lives in a relatively short span. So they(the other players) may feel differently.
$7 million a year is plenty of money for the rest of the lives. Nashville is going to come close to matching the offer of any other team. Somebody might pay a little more than us, but is it going to to make a big difference long term? No way.

Suter KNOWS that by not signing before the deadline, Poile has to try to trade him. To get absolutely nothing for Suter would be idiotic. Unless Suter has given Poile his word he will sign, Suter is gone.

Last edited by wadesworld: 01-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:30 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Suter not happy with coverage thats being made about after the comments he made yesterday...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...f-his-comments
If Suter isn't happy about it, then maybe he should have just stuck to his previous party line, "I'm sure something will get done," Thats the line from both of these clowns for the past 2 years. Now, he and weber get away from the team, get a couple of mics in their faces, and they show their true colors. Well you can't un-ring that bell Suter. You let your team mates down. You don't think they can get it done. You don't want to be a key cog among these loser players and loser city.

Time to put up or shut up. Make a commitment to this organization or get the hell our of here. Weber, same goes for you. I want players here who want to win here. I want leaders and winners to lead this team. If Weber and Suter aren't that, then I'm done with them. This city has stuck by them and supported them, allowed them to develop under minimal pressure.

Last edited by gopreds19: 01-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The big issue in Suter's statement goes to meaning. Would actually putting pen to paper be distracting, or would the required negotiating be the distraction? With an offer on the table, Suter knows the Preds position.
It seems that the bolded portion is what Suter now claims he meant to say.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:35 PM
VFL615*

Hum i guess Peks should have done the same thing Suter and Weber are doing now. Suter is buying time so he does not get shipped to a place like PHX for half a year. Leaders keep there mouth shut and do not send messages through their family and the media. Sure he is a veteran on a young team but not A worthy in my eyes anymore.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Good god, I come back to check on this site for this crap????

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 01-28-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: flaming
nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:02 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorsfan2015 View Post
This has really made me sad. I just feel like Suter and Weber are just messing with us. I don't know why they just won't give us a definite answer. "I love Nashville." Then saying **** like this in Ottawa where every NHL Reporter in North America will listen? That's the part that really upsets me. I just don't understand.

Also, what is all this crap about wanting us to see if we are competitive? We are 6th in the entire NHL, 3 freaking points away from the top of the NHL, and you're saying we're not competitive? What total B.S.

Weber also deserves some blame for talking about the Hartnell, Timonen, etc. fiasco. That was a total different circumstance. That was an awful thing to say weber.

They are creating more of a distraction by saying this ****. They don't owe us anything, but they do owe us atleast some respect. I think the comments made were complete and utter showings of disrespect.

Also, why is the blame for Poile? He is trying. He is shipping in the titanic full of money and they continue to say **** like seeing if we'll be competitive? Poile does deserve some blame, but not all of it because it's not like he is playing hardball.

Nevertheless, I have faith that all of this will be resolved. I do honestly think Suter and Weber wants to be here. Plus, he just said he wouldn't sign before the trade deadline. He said nothing about after it.

This is a prime example of having to love the team, and not just the players.
I agree with everything you said. But as far as loving the team, what hurts so bad about this is how much these two leaving would hurt the team as a whole...not just in competitiveness this year, but the damage it would cause to our reputation around the NHL.

I'd really rather that Suter and Weber just said nothing else. I don't want to listen to their BS. If Suter doesn't want to stay here, I'll be mad, but he doesn't have to lie. Saying that signing a contract would be a distraction is just stupid. What's going on right now is a massive distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It seems that the bolded portion is what Suter now claims he meant to say.
Blah. It's not like Suter does the negotiating himself. His agent does all the work. DP has said Suter is the kind of guy who won't be distracted by this situation. To me, the whole "it would be a distraction" crap is either selfish or a lie or both. If he truly means it would be a distraction to him, then that's a little selfish IMO...it may be a little bit of a distraction to you, but what about the distraction to your entire TEAM and organization that comes with you not signing? But I feel like he's lying.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 01-28-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: edited out deleted post and comment referring to it
AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:25 PM
glenngineer

So let me get this straight, Suter is asked questions that he's been asked a million times already I'm sure, answers them honestly and because we don't like his answer, he doesn't deserve the A and/or he should be gone sooner than later? Then, when he looks at what the media has stated and he feels he's been misquoted and tries to clear that up, people are still mad and say well you had that coming to you. Wow. It just blows me away how quickly some of you have turned on a guy for a comment or two during a major NHL event. He is going to be here for the rest of this season and hopefully the playoffs. He has stated this clearly that his main intent right now is to win with this team. Everything else is secondary. If you all want to judge him, go for it. To me some of you are acting like spoiled little children. When they don't get what they want when they want it they throw a fit. Well, that's exactly what you're doing. He's not signed right now and you're upset, I get it but to throw the guy under the bus and want him out of town already is stupid. We are a better team with him on the blue line and anyone who doesn't see that is blinded by emotions and not rational thought.

Should we move him so we make sure we get some value out of him? That's for Poile to decide but anyone who says we should move him just to make sure we get value is also wrong. The best value we can get out of him is to help this team advance deep into the playoffs. Without him we don't go very far. With him, I like our chances a whole lot better. Anyone we get for him is not going to make us better but is going to make us worse.

Suter is also a relatively private and shy individual. He does not do well with a ton of microphones in his face. Could he have handled the situation a little better, sure. Does he deserve the treatment some of you are giving him, absolutely not.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Good god, I come back to check on this site for this crap????
Best to steer clear until Tuesday. It looks like the sky will be falling from here til July 1st now, but at least we'll have some actual hockey to talk about again in 3 days.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Everything about this thread is ridiculous.

Those in Pred Nation who are ready to throw Suter off a bridge need to CALM DOWN. Seriously.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

So I don't need these?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:46 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I see no reason why Suter shouldn't still be an A.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Everything about this thread is ridiculous.

Those in Pred Nation who are ready to throw Suter off a bridge need to CALM DOWN. Seriously.
Glad somebody else is saying THIS ^^^ ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Certain members of the media with definite agendas used the 140 character limit on Twitter and sensational headlines to twist Suter's quote and read a lot into it that wasn't there.

Last night when we saw Tim Panacchio's (sp?) story out of Philly with Suter's FULL quotes we saw that the tweets that first came out were cherry picked to make it appear he was saying he would not re-sign with Nashville. In the article itself, the text from the author does not match up with the quotes in the article itself.

Suter is not going to sign before the trade deadline. To me, that's not a shock. Will he sign after the deadline, but before the playoffs? It's probably less than a 10% chance too. Does that mean that he's not talking to Poile and ownership about the direction of the team moving forward? No, it certainly does not and he said just that yesterday.

All summer and throughout the beginning of the season Suter gave VERY generic quotes about "working things out" and "we'll see", etc. The very first time he actually came out and said "I want to stay in Nashville with the Predators" was after his agent came to town and they both met with Poile and ownership. Obviously, a plan was presented to him in that meeting about the direction of the team, where they want to be this year, next year, and into the future, and how they intended on getting there.

That's where Suter and Weber's quotes regarding wanting to see what the team does comes into play and it makes sense. They each realize that with a Cup on their resume that they would be considered among the very best defensive tandems in the history of the NHL. Ownership has stated that their goal is to win the Stanley Cup and that's what Suter and Weber want too.

This IS a key year for the Predators. They are at the beginning of their window right now with the core of the roster in entering their prime and young veterans performing admirably and continuing to grow into their careers.

It is David Poile's job to bring in some help for this season, but as Suter said, "it's not necessarily about bringing in the biggest piece, but the right piece(s)." With Radulov potentially coming back for next season and A LOT of cap space to spend this summer, we can land the big fish later. The key right now is to shore up a couple of areas to give this year's team a boost and mentally help get them ready for the stretch run and playoffs.

David Poile has been too quiet of late in terms of trade rumors, but that's his MO. I have confidence that he does have something up his sleeve that we will see in the next couple of weeks, but patience is required to get us there.

This weekend with all the media attention, this issue was bound to come up...and reporters were bound to read into whatever Suter and Weber said. When the puck drops in Minnesota on Tuesday night though, I can guarantee you that Suter and Weber will still be Nashville Predators, they will still be captains of the team, and they will likely play 28+ key minutes in front of Pekka Rinne giving their all to give the Predators another 2 points in the standings.

If we can remove the emotion of the situation, this is a VERY exciting time to be a Nashville Predators fan! With Shea Weber and Ryan Suter anchoring the defense in front of Pekka Rinne we stand a chance to win every night the rest of the year provided we continue to get timely PP goals and keep a couple of lines hot each night to provide scoring. Enjoy the All-Star Game tomorrow!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
monkeyluvhockey

Suter and Weber are both leaders. Trades and contract talk is part of the game. Think about it as a job you have. Would you want the most out of want you put in. So relax and let it play its course.

monkeyluvhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
If we can remove the emotion of the situation, this is a VERY exciting time to be a Nashville Predators fan! With Shea Weber and Ryan Suter anchoring the defense in front of Pekka Rinne we stand a chance to win every night the rest of the year provided we continue to get timely PP goals and keep a couple of lines hot each night to provide scoring. Enjoy the All-Star Game tomorrow!
Seth, how dare you bring a sane post into this conversation!

[/sarcasm]

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:30 PM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Certain members of the media with definite agendas used the 140 character limit on Twitter and sensational headlines to twist Suter's quote and read a lot into it that wasn't there.

Last night when we saw Tim Panacchio's (sp?) story out of Philly with Suter's FULL quotes we saw that the tweets that first came out were cherry picked to make it appear he was saying he would not re-sign with Nashville. In the article itself, the text from the author does not match up with the quotes in the article itself.

Suter is not going to sign before the trade deadline. To me, that's not a shock. Will he sign after the deadline, but before the playoffs? It's probably less than a 10% chance too. Does that mean that he's not talking to Poile and ownership about the direction of the team moving forward? No, it certainly does not and he said just that yesterday.

All summer and throughout the beginning of the season Suter gave VERY generic quotes about "working things out" and "we'll see", etc. The very first time he actually came out and said "I want to stay in Nashville with the Predators" was after his agent came to town and they both met with Poile and ownership. Obviously, a plan was presented to him in that meeting about the direction of the team, where they want to be this year, next year, and into the future, and how they intended on getting there.

That's where Suter and Weber's quotes regarding wanting to see what the team does comes into play and it makes sense. They each realize that with a Cup on their resume that they would be considered among the very best defensive tandems in the history of the NHL. Ownership has stated that their goal is to win the Stanley Cup and that's what Suter and Weber want too.

This IS a key year for the Predators. They are at the beginning of their window right now with the core of the roster in entering their prime and young veterans performing admirably and continuing to grow into their careers.

It is David Poile's job to bring in some help for this season, but as Suter said, "it's not necessarily about bringing in the biggest piece, but the right piece(s)." With Radulov potentially coming back for next season and A LOT of cap space to spend this summer, we can land the big fish later. The key right now is to shore up a couple of areas to give this year's team a boost and mentally help get them ready for the stretch run and playoffs.

David Poile has been too quiet of late in terms of trade rumors, but that's his MO. I have confidence that he does have something up his sleeve that we will see in the next couple of weeks, but patience is required to get us there.

This weekend with all the media attention, this issue was bound to come up...and reporters were bound to read into whatever Suter and Weber said. When the puck drops in Minnesota on Tuesday night though, I can guarantee you that Suter and Weber will still be Nashville Predators, they will still be captains of the team, and they will likely play 28+ key minutes in front of Pekka Rinne giving their all to give the Predators another 2 points in the standings.

Excellent post. Bravo sir, bravo.

predatorsfan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:13 AM
VFL615*

It blows my mind how people believe everything someone says when they back track after getting slammed. People blow off things that they hear, but do not want to believe. So believe what you want to make you feel better, but Suter has sent out to many hint's and you can clearly look through the smoke screen bs to see his true intentions.

People usually get frusterated and come out with the truth when they are pressed. Example "I am a Nashville Predator until July" The truth also comes out through back channel people/friends/family who cannot keep their mouth shut Example what Suters family member put out there.

Example of someone who believes in this team and city=Peks
Example of someone who thinks the grass is greener on the other side=Suter

It has nothing to do with shortened tweets, his exact quotes are posted and i hope people are reading them in full. I sure hope the people who do make the decisions see what is really going on and do not end up scratching their head in July when Suter bails and they get a 2nd round pick from Detroit for his rights.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
It blows my mind how people believe everything someone says when they back track after getting slammed. People blow off things that they hear, but do not want to believe. So believe what you want to make you feel better, but Suter has sent out to many hint's and you can clearly look through the smoke screen bs to see his true intentions.

People usually get frusterated and come out with the truth when they are pressed. Example "I am a Nashville Predator until July" The truth also comes out through back channel people/friends/family who cannot keep their mouth shut Example what Suters family member put out there.

Example of someone who believes in this team and city=Peks
Example of someone who thinks the grass is greener on the other side=Suter

It has nothing to do with shortened tweets, his exact quotes are posted and i hope people are reading them in full. I sure hope the people who do make the decisions see what is really going on and do not end up scratching their head in July when Suter bails and they get a 2nd round pick from Detroit for his rights.
So why would Suter's agent be negotiating a new deal with Poile and the Preds if he intends on leaving? Did you happen to forget that bit of info in your posts? Once again, you are picking what you want out of the media and making up your own conclusions. If Suter truly wants to leave, he would've told his agent not to have any talks with Poile and would've said, we'll take care of this when the season is over. The FACT that they started negotiations back in November says a lot more to me than anything you've posted in this thread.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
maplepred

Kinda funny, people are still pretty sure suter will stay with Nashville after comments he made and we start a thread mainly about stripping him of the A, But we are confident he re signs!

I never heard doughty say anything along those lines when him and kings were negotiating,

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So why would Suter's agent be negotiating a new deal with Poile and the Preds if he intends on leaving? Did you happen to forget that bit of info in your posts? Once again, you are picking what you want out of the media and making up your own conclusions. If Suter truly wants to leave, he would've told his agent not to have any talks with Poile and would've said, we'll take care of this when the season is over. The FACT that they started negotiations back in November says a lot more to me than anything you've posted in this thread.
Well lets see.. I am sure Suter is smart enough not to tell his agent to give Nashville the silent treatment because he knew he would be gone before the deadline. It's simple business games and i am sure Suter and his agent know something about it.

Lets go over these facts. Both Peka and Suter were in the same position.
Peka signed long term earlier this year and is clearly the anchor of this team.
Suter ??

Fill in the blank.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-29-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old
01-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Kinda funny, people are still pretty sure suter will stay with Nashville after comments he made and we start a thread mainly about stripping him of the A, But we are confident he re signs!

I never heard doughty say anything along those lines when him and kings were negotiating,
Apples and coconuts. Doughty was an RFA whose only options were to sign his contract or hold out. He did the latter, missed nearly all of training camp, and was awful for the first 1/3 of the season. Many Kings fans still haven't forgiven him...

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:12 AM
glenngineer

What comments has he made stating he won't be back? He hasn't said anything about re-signing either. There have been serious negotiations between Suter's agent and the team. You don't have serious negotiations if you want to jet after the season is over. I'm not saying it's a done deal because it's not but I think a lot of people have Suter's bags packed already which I don't personally agree with.

Old
01-29-2012, 12:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Warning: If you are a fan of another team feel free to post. If you know that what you are posting is simply around to troll be prepared to be removed from not only this thread, but this forum. Now is not the time.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:20 PM
token grinder

even if Suter was to leave, he is a captain on this team. you don't jerk guys around like that because he won't sign a contract right now. You want to help keep guys away from Nashville, jerk a guy around on his way out. Fact is, Suter is living up to his contract. He is fulfilling it. He has earned his free agency and a payday because of his on-ice and his off ice performance as he is a guy with pretty good character.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote