HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If Weber is going for just a one year deal, he can file for arbitration but that means no hunting for offer sheets. I'm expecting him to chase offer sheets to set his price ... hoping to find a multi-year, highest cap hit on the blue line deal that Poile can either match or decline for extra first round picks for each of the next four years.
i think this sounds logical giving everything that has gone on.... which is why i don't think poile will trade away any of our younger d at the trade deadline....

i think the hard truth is that poile has to assume that weber and suter will both leave no matter what he does and plan accordingly...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I don't see how people can blame Poile for this one. We've won 12 of our last 14. We're tied for 4th in the league in points with the youngest team in the NHL. We've done what we needed to do to be competitive. Rinne agrees with me appearently. Weber and Suter are being ridiculous right now. I'm not saying they want out, I'm just saying it isn't Poile's fault they refuse to sign.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I don't know it's anyones fault to be honest. Suter and Weber, like a lot of fans, want to see if Poile and the owners are going to put their money where their mouths are. If they do, they'll re-sign, if they don't, they'll go elsewhere. Until Poile makes a move of some magnitude, whether via trade or free agency, Suter and Weber will be on stand by.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1093695

Old
01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
NoNecksCurse

one of eberle/rnh/hall + 2012 1st from EDM for weber ...

EDM fans said im an idiot and weber wouldn't land that

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:25 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So everyone is on Suter's case about not re-signing but Weber is given a pass? Weber was given an offer similar to Rinne's and he didn't sign it. The team was forced to take him to arbitration or possibly risk him getting offer sheeted. So where's the difference other than one is unrestricted and the other is restricted? It's the same freaking situation. Weber had said repeatedly the contract would work itself out and it would get done, that he wanted to be here long term. Well guess what, he's on a one year deal and can be offer sheeted this offseason. No one is giving a rats behind that he went back on his word as well. If you're going to throw Suter under the bus then you better do the same with Weber.
I agree. Weber's no saint either. His comments this weekend regarding Timonen and Hartnell were an uncalled for low blow. I doubt the new ownership group appreciated it, and I sure as hell didn't.
It's just that the situation is more immediate issue with Suter. We'll get to Weber next.
Quote:
I seriously don't know how some of you come to the conclusion that a guy wanting the team to be competitive while he's with a team is a bad thing? Would anyone want to sign a long term deal to play on a crappy franchise year in and year out? Do you think Rick Nash wishes he didn't sign on the dotted line or is he just in it for the money? As Kevin Allen said, it's not about the money with Suter and Weber but whether or not the team is going to spend and be competitive. I see nothing wrong with that.
We're one of the most competitive teams since the lockout. I remember seeing we're like one of 3 teams with 40 wins in each season since the lockout, or something like that. And you didn't just compare us to the BJs, right? I mean, seriously? But I guess that exacerbates how childish Suter is being, that Nash would hitch himself to that doomed wagon long term. Maybe it's because Nash has something called pride, loyalty, and a desire to pay back the only franchise he's ever known and the fans who have supported and cheered for him his entire pro career. Meanwhile Suter holds the Preds hostage.

Quote:
As Handtrick said, it's time to pooh or get off the pot. There has been a lot of talk. Well a little less talk and little money going out the door to sign or trade for players is what needs to happen. When that happens all the other dominos will fall correctly, if we are stingy with the money, then Suter and Weber are gone.
I don't see how offering to pay roughly $21 million for 3 players being stingy, especially considering it will almost set the high water mark for each of them at their position.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
I don't know it's anyones fault to be honest. Suter and Weber, like a lot of fans, want to see if Poile and the owners are going to put their money where their mouths are. If they do, they'll re-sign, if they don't, they'll go elsewhere. Until Poile makes a move of some magnitude, whether via trade or free agency, Suter and Weber will be on stand by.
I agree with this. Since these two have been on the team, we haven't exactley went out and really gone for it except the Forsberg move. The Fisher move helped, but he is more of a role player. http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=37091 I remember when Arnott was here; he was practically begging Poile to bring in some extra help; however, we made no significant moves. Poile also has not been a big player in the free agency category either, so I think Suter and Weber see this and have a little bit of reservation in signing long term. I think they both want to see what Poile/Owner is going to do for the deadline before they make a long time commitment, and I don't blame them with our history. If Suter leaves, I see Weber right on his heals.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:05 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Let's all remember the timelines here. Three years ago we were almost in hamilton and the current owners bought the preds on a shoestring and what turned out to be fake money from boots. That took two years and more money from the owners part to get settled. Then apparently the principal owner(Freeman) had money problems of his own.

This is the first year that this ownership group has had even the most remote possibility of spending more.when they first bought the team they told us what they could do and what to expect. They said if attendance and revenue got better they would spend more. Now they have said they will do even better. This group hasn't lied yet, and I don't think they are now. Its unfair and disingenious to act like this group of owners has somehow been cheapskates. People have short memories, it seems.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:10 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I'm not mad at Suter for saying what he said (well I am a little I want him to sign already). I'm mad that it came out now in front of the whole hockey world and now every (well almost every) media person and other fans think Suter is just 100% gone and enjoy saying so on TV/Radio/internet/paper. Which leads to the whole Nashville will never spend money and will always just be a stop until they hit their payday stereotype. Which leads to the "I KNOW Weber or Suter want out and here take these scrubs for him" crap on here and everywhere else there is a comments section.

Weber and Suter know that together they make one of, if not the, best d-pair in the league, they know that Rinne is a near elite goalie, and they know they have some really good complimentary players and emerging youth.

There is no other true cup contender team that could afford to get both of them together without gutting their team.

I think they want to stay here and play together and win together. I think they know they need to be realistic in what they want in terms of other players, and who/what they would have to give up to get them. I would also hope that they realize that while Poile might add some quality pieces at the deadline, that the best deal for this team might not be able to be made until after the season.

In Suter's "I'm a Predator until July 1" statement, I think he's just saying his contract doesn't end Feb.27 or when the last game is over so there is plenty of time to get a deal done before July 1. Well that's what I HOPE he meant anyway.

But at the end of the day, I think Suter re-signs. I just think this is the best place for him and I think he knows it, too, he just wants to be sure we can be true cup contenders for now and in the future, not just competitive playoff teams.

----------------
I don't think NJ is going to trade Parise, despite whatever rumors or theories people put forth. Unless they go on a losing streak in the next 2 weeks and just fall completely apart, I don't see him being moved at the deadline. I don't think he'll hit July 1 either (at least not with NJ, I think his rights will be traded or he'll be signed by then).

And on Rick Nash, I think he's been in a losing environment for so long that it's weighing on him and this season especially. I really think that if he went to a team that expects wins and expects hard work and expects playoffs/success that it would re-energize him and you would see a different Nash.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Friedman's 30 thoughts...

Small, but interesting, note:

Quote:
18. The Predators were one of a few teams to send a private plane to pick up their players (Suter, Shea Weber and Craig Smith) from All-Star Weekend. That didn't go unnoticed.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:21 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post

Hmm, I thought a lot of teams would do this. Why would this matter?

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Hmm, I thought a lot of teams would do this. Why would this matter?
Just showing the team is going all out to impress the stars that need to be signed. Not a huge deal, but it's nice to see.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Just showing the team is going all out to impress the stars that need to be signed. Not a huge deal, but it's nice to see.
Private jet = $$$$$

If we were as cash-strapped as everyone says, we wouldn't be doing that. It's symbolic that we arent poor anymore.

Old
01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post

i totally forgot that we lost ryan jones to WAIVERS

edit

witt for a first?

ugh

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Also means a lot less hassle going through customs--it's a way to show they have the players' best interests at heart.

Nice going Poile.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post

wonder if by "didnt go unnoticed" he meant our players were impressed, or that the other players noticed how nashville treats its players, or just that the media noticed...

Old
01-31-2012, 08:38 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
i totally forgot that we lost ryan jones to WAIVERS
Exposing a player to waivers is a necessary risk when trying to send them to the AHL for improvement. I liked Jones when he was a Pred ...I liked what he brought to the PP in his limited minutes ... but the attempt to send him to Milwaukee was the right one at the time.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Nitrous Mafia

both of those observations are based on hindsight but it still sucks

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Exposing a player to waivers is a necessary risk when trying to send them to the AHL for improvement. I liked Jones when he was a Pred ...I liked what he brought to the PP in his limited minutes ... but the attempt to send him to Milwaukee was the right one at the time.
I still agree with what was wide speculation at the time that we sent him on waivers for Edmonton to pick him up for the Grebeshkov trade.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
both of those observations are based on hindsight but it still sucks
Witt is the perfect illustration of what Poile says about trade deadline deals costing too much. Vishnevski was the product of trading Vasicek for Belanger and then flipping Belanger to Atlanta ... then rarely playing Vish. Forsberg was an expensive trade that we managed to recoup most of the cost for by dealing the rights to subsequent FAs.

For those costly moves or guys lost to waivers there are the moves like SK for the rights to Ellis and Boyd. Essentially getting SOB for the rights to Hamhuis by flipping Parent. The late season pickup of Hlavac.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Let's all remember the timelines here. Three years ago we were almost in hamilton and the current owners bought the preds on a shoestring and what turned out to be fake money from boots. That took two years and more money from the owners part to get settled. Then apparently the principal owner(Freeman) had money problems of his own.

This is the first year that this ownership group has had even the most remote possibility of spending more.when they first bought the team they told us what they could do and what to expect. They said if attendance and revenue got better they would spend more. Now they have said they will do even better. This group hasn't lied yet, and I don't think they are now. Its unfair and disingenious to act like this group of owners has somehow been cheapskates. People have short memories, it seems.
I don't think the new ownership group is being cheap; look at what they have agreed to pay Weber and Rinne this year. There is also talk that they offered Weber long term at 7+, and I am sure they are offering Suter fair market value I would hope at least 6-6.5 per. I think that the players just want to make sure that the owners really will put up the dough to bring in help when they need to get over a hump before they make a long time commitment.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

So happy the real hockey is returning tonight. Time to get back to real games. Enough of this speculating and worrying.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:04 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
hey, remember when we picked up Oleg Petrov? yeah, me neither.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:31 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
I don't think the new ownership group is being cheap; look at what they have agreed to pay Weber and Rinne this year. There is also talk that they offered Weber long term at 7+, and I am sure they are offering Suter fair market value I would hope at least 6-6.5 per. I think that the players just want to make sure that the owners really will put up the dough to bring in help when they need to get over a hump before they make a long time commitment.
I think you're right, but the players have to understand that by stalling, they are affecting the process.

particularly, poile needs to hang on to Ellis and Josi until he knows what Weber and Suter willdo, bt at the same time those are the two assets most likely to land us a big time forward... so who is gonna go first? does poile trade the "safety net" and then hope that Weber and Suter are impressed enough to sign?

Old
01-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
hey, remember when we picked up Oleg Petrov? yeah, me neither.
yes. i was hoping that would work out too... it didn't

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote