HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lame Day Thread: 10 Jan 2012 The Wild Are ****ing Shark Bait - 6:30PM CT- Versus/TSN2

Old
01-11-2012, 09:02 AM
rafterman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

So yes, blame the ref for the first one, and with all the chippy stuff they let go throughout the game (both ways) blame the ref for calling the slash. Don't let refs get away with stupid or bad calls just because a player on the ice is being an idiot.
LOL, that slash was beyond any normal chippy stuff. That penalty was completely deserved and a total bonehead play by Brodz, very Staubby-like, a total 'WTF are you thinking ?'.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:18 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
LOL, that slash was beyond any normal chippy stuff. That penalty was completely deserved and a total bonehead play by Brodz, very Staubby-like, a total 'WTF are you thinking ?'.
Thornton's two handed slash/trip on Koivu later was at least as bad or worse. Clutterbuck's (or was it Powe?) late hit on one the Sharks D was worse. The dogpile on Wellman somehow resulted in offsetting penalties. No call on the Sharks player punching Staubitz in the face twice. There were plenty of worse things that were not called throughout the game both ways. To make that call immediately after erroneously putting the Sharks on the power play is just a bad mistake. If that happens at even strength, or while down a man for a legitimate penalty, I can understand making the call. I still don't like it in the context of the chippy game and the ridiculous embelishment, but when you've just screwed up that badly, don't exacerbate your mistake.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Since i live overseas i mainly just watch highlights on .com

For me it looked like the fish's played like complete bumholes. (Punching Staub after goal f.ex)

Harding looked outstanding from my point, and if he could stay inj. free he could easily be a Vezina contender in my eyes.

I also saw that he is quity like me on PS's. Using his stick to do some hardknock poke on the shooter before he can make his move..

Wonder what scratched Seto, and as some of you have said he might be unhappy and looking for a trade.

Anyway, we won.

YAY

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

If Seto is really demanding a trade already, then he really is a little whiny ***** and a lost cause. If that's true, which I don't think it is, we don't need that toxic crap touching our next slew of talent arriving this and next year.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

He was scratched for missing a meeting.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Pinchy11

Seto missed a team meeting after spending the night before with his shark buddies. Thats why he was scratched. Or thats what russo said.

Pinchy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Not sure how many times it has to be said.

There's no attitude problem that was reported.

There's no impending trade.

There's no injury.

There's nothing to tell here except Seto missed a meeting yesterday morning, so he was scratched for the game last night.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
pain2007

Quote:
Not sure how many times it has to be said.

There's no attitude problem that was reported.

There's no impending trade.

There's no injury.

There's nothing to tell here except Seto missed a meeting yesterday morning, so he was scratched for the game last night.
In his time with the Sharks (and junior from what I have heard) Setoguchi always had a problem with effort level. Look at last year he sleepwalked through the season and turned it on at the end of the year for the playoff drive and to get a new contract. I have never heard anything about him being bad in the locker room but his compete level is not always there, which sucks because when he is on he is a force.

pain2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The puck got caught in Spurgeon's glove cuff. It was pretty clear to me, way the eff up in the stands. I don't know how a ref wouldn't be able to see that he was trying to shake the puck loose from his hand. Terrible call.

On Brodziak, it was a full on stupid slash across the shins, but that was a dive on Thornton's part too. He fell forward like a bomb went off behind him.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm purely speculating on Seto. I haven't heard anything about an attitude problem. His body language and the way he talks when interviewed isn't positive in my opinion.

His on ice effort is certainly in question. Two solid games since the injury, although beforehand he was invisible a lot of the time. I still think his puck skills are weak which hurts his effectiveness.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Teddy10Beers

Seto blew-off the meeting. That's enough for one to reasonably conclude that his attitude or focus (or whatever term you want to use) isn't what it should be. I don't need a reporter to spell it out before concluding that. Things usually don't happen in a vacuum. Yeo got his attention and now he says the slate is clean. Up to Seto to take it from here.

Teddy10Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

lol @ the Seto bashing...

Dude's friends come into town. He goes out with them and gets smashed. Over sleeps with a hangover, misses a meeting.

Hell, I woulda probably scratched him with just the hangover...

Kid is 24 years old. This has happened with other players on other teams with the same results.

Honestly, maybe we should be thanking him. Sure, his friends may not have missed the Sharks meeting, if there was one, but... Half of the Sharks squad looked hungover last night.

Sacrificial lamb, was Setoguchi.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Dude's friends come into town. He goes out with them and gets smashed. Over sleeps with a hangover, misses a meeting.

Kid is 24 years old. This has happened with other players on other teams with the same results.

Honestly, maybe we should be thanking him. Sure, his friends may not have missed the Sharks meeting, if there was one, but... Half of the Sharks squad looked hungover last night.

Amen...this a million times.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Teddy10Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The puck got caught in Spurgeon's glove cuff. It was pretty clear to me, way the eff up in the stands. I don't know how a ref wouldn't be able to see that he was trying to shake the puck loose from his hand. Terrible call.
Doesn't the fact that Spurgeon was in the act of trying to glove the puck when it disappeared inside his glove make a difference? The ref sees him trying to knock the puck down with his glove and then it disappears and becomes unplayable. If someone is playing the puck with his glove and it becomes unplayable ... aren't most refs going to call that?

Spurgie didn't really argue the call that much (and he's not the kind of guy to do that) ... but I didn't see much of an argument from anyone else on the Wild, albeit limited to the TV angle at the time.

Teddy10Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Amen...this a million times.
Hell, I'll even start a fund for a Fogo De Chao trip for him and all of this San Jose buds for the night of February 25th.

One stipulation; All of the Sharks have to try the lamb.

I've never not seen someone get sick off of the Fogo lamb...

Old
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy10Beers View Post
Doesn't the fact that Spurgeon was in the act of trying to glove the puck when it disappeared inside his glove make a difference? The ref sees him trying to knock the puck down with his glove and then it disappears and becomes unplayable. If someone is playing the puck with his glove and it becomes unplayable ... aren't most refs going to call that?

Spurgie didn't really argue the call that much (and he's not the kind of guy to do that) ... but I didn't see much of an argument from anyone else on the Wild, albeit limited to the TV angle at the time.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 63: Delaying the Game
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player other than the goalkeeper who deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body. Any player who drops to his knees to block a shot should not be penalized if the puck is shot under him or becomes lodged in his clothing or equipment but any use of the hands to make the puck unplayable should be penalized promptly.
The rule explicitly states the player must "deliberately...gather[] the puck into his body." It also states that "the use of the hands to make the puck unplayable should be penalized."

Spurgeon did not deliberately gather the puck into his body. He legally knocked the puck out of the air and it subsequently became tangled in his equipment. He was clearly attempting to dislodge the puck, which is quite the opposite of what the rule states is a penalty. Furthermore, his use of the hands was to make the puck playable, rather than unplayable, and therefore that stipulation would not apply either.

It was a bad call. They happen from time to time.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

I like this logic

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

So First Star for Seto for taking half the Sharks down with him?

Brilliant.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
From the hilites sounded like audience was really into it tonight. Was it cos of Burnzie? Should be like that night out night in.
Nope, Burns didn't even acknowledge the crowd when the announcers called his name.

Overall, the game was physical, plenty of timely goals, and Harding making some great saves. The crowd was probably surprised that the team was playing so well. I know I was.

Yeah, I was really confused about the Spurgeon penalty. I saw the puck get stuck in his glove and had no idea what the ensuing penalty was about. I was still pretty pissed about the call, and didn't notice the Brodziak slash until after play was stopped. That 5-on-3 totally killed our momentum; the refs basically gave the Sharks a goal with Falk and Zanon on the PK.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
No the 5 on 3 wasn't legit. I don't know what you're thinking about Spurgeon, he was given 2 minutes for delay of game for gloving the puck. Except he didn't glove the puck, he tried to pull it down and the puck got stuck in his equipment. Understandable mis-call, but it was a bad call none the less.

Brodziak did indeed slash Thornton, but it was a pretty light tap. Thornton just fell to the ice clutching his leg like it was broken and practically crying. The ref's hand went up and he miraculously stood back up and took the ensuing faceoff like nothing had ever happened. Bad penalty by Brodziak, and a legit call, but good god was that a dive Thornton.

So yes, blame the ref for the first one, and with all the chippy stuff they let go throughout the game (both ways) blame the ref for calling the slash. Don't let refs get away with stupid or bad calls just because a player on the ice is being an idiot.
Sorry, my bad...forgot the delay of game penalty...I mixed up my penalties tonight off the top of my head. Hard to blame the ref for not seeing the puck was in the cuff of Spurgeon's glove though. Most anyone would've made the same mistake without the benefit of replay. I still don't blame the ref. I still blame Brodziak for being a moron.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

to me watching the replay of the Spurgeon penalty it really did look like he held on to it too long...he sort of folded it in to his body. Looked like the puck was caught, yes, but that he also wanted to determine where the puck shook out. natural, yes, but instead of just shaking his arm out he protected it a bit and took an extra step. legitimate call IMO.

The brodziak penalty was easily as stupid or more stupid than any penalty Staubitz has taken this year. don't know what Joe did to the guys, but they were really pissed about it.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So First Star for Seto for taking half the Sharks down with him?

Brilliant.
I tell ya... I'm betting that if there were a mandatory Sharks meeting yesterday, we would have heard about Clowe, Couture, Murray and Vlasic all being "healthy" scratches as well...

Old
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
State of Hockey

I picked a good game to go too. That was fun last night, win or lose. Not only was the 8 real goals fun, but the multitude of close calls made it that much better.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I picked a good game to go too. That was fun last night, win or lose. Not only was the 8 real goals fun, but the multitude of close calls made it that much better.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote