HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#43 Kings v Caps 1/9/12 - Post Game WIN ! Thoughts & Tidbits ‎

Old
01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Nose of Sutter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
"After it was all over.....we went inside and he served us pancakes."

"...............pancakes.............."
Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
null33

Haven't watched a lot of Ovechkin, but geesh. That guy never skips an opportunity to slash, hook, leave his feet finishing a check, etc, does he?

"Plays with enthusiasm"?

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Lol, Stoll's face! He has one of the best "goal faces"

He was probably like "Yay, Drew gets to grab me again!"

cheap77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
7-4.
Call what you want. I call it 7-1-3. I don't call it that because I think we only have one win, but it is a stretch of 11 games in which only once we failed to get a point. I don't like "loser points" but as long as the NHL counts them, I'll take them and as such count our record as 7-1-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The awful part is the Kings have been taking care of getting points at an insane clip.

They are still one point behind San Jose (San Jose still has FIVE Games in hand).

What a Hole the Kings dug themselves with Murray.
It is a hole in a way, but give the Sharks credit too. We are 7-1-3 under DS, but the Sharks are also 8-1-1 in their last 10. If they had even gone 6-4, which is close to their actual winning percentage over the year, we'd be four up on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddow44 View Post
Sutter reminds me of that overall-clad cajun from the Waterboy. I understand about 1 in 9 words. Thank God for my DVR. At least the guys aparently understand him. That's what's important.
I think talking in the locker room is a little easier for him than the media. Odds are what he says in the locker room isn't going to be disected by sports commentator across North America or end up on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
The overwhelming mentality seems to be that the wheels are going to fall off and we'll start losing because of our offense. Hasn't happened yet. Why try to predict rain from the basement when you can look out the window and see clear skies?
No one can see clear skies though. That'd be the equivalent of looking into the future and we can't. It's been anything but clear skies for our offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Hopefully breaking out with 5 goals loosens some of their grip on their sticks and they play a bit more relaxed and controlled game with the puck henceforth.
That's my hope as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Remember what happened last year when "all the Kings had to do" was win one game in the last week of the season to secure home ice? There's no way in hell the Kings beat the Sharks, in regulation, in all three remaining games.
Because this year is last year, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Bernstein STILL doesn't get the meaning behind what Sutter said at his press conference:

"DennisTFP Dennis Bernstein
Kings Darryl Sutter insists NHL "a 3-2 league" yet only time his team's game ended with that score was in debut 10 games ago in SO win v ANA"

It's about totalling all the goals for and against at the end of the year by EVERY team, and it works out to 3-2. That's what Sutter meant.
I really have no idea what this guy's beef with Sutter is, but he seems to trash him at every turn.
It's Bernstein. What has the guy done in his career besides make up crap? But he gets his kicks ragging on a well respected coach. Good for him, he's such a big man and clearly an intellectual as well, given his comment about 3-2 games.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
But if Ovechkin or another teammate done it he'd have probably said it was cool
Exactly

But either way isn't that hypocritical in the first place? Has he ever spoke out against Ovy doing it?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
great win and all but lets put things into perspective.

washington is not the same powerhouse team of yesteryear and they played without backstrom and green.

So what? I will NEVER discount ANY Kings win.

There are too many games that the Kings outplay their opponent or at least play them even, yet come away with nothing - or just the OT point (recently Wpg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
this type of performance should have been at the phoenix and columbus game.
??? what does that even mean? They beat Phx (ok, only 1 goal in OT - booooo!), and they had plenty of chances to score vs Cbj yet just couldn't finish...???

A win is a win is a win.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
"...............pancakes.............."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Seriously though, I wonder if this success with prompt Penner, Kopitar, Brown, Clifford, Hunter to DRIVE THE ******* NET MORE OFTEN.
Agreed, especially with the first 4. They should be able to use strength on a more consistent basis. When I see Kopitar driving to the net I can hardly think of 5 other NHL forwards who have the potential to be more dangerous in similar situations. The guy is a beast and they can't even hack him from behind. This has to be my biggest criticism of his game.

The game was fun to watch, great effort by everyone. Clifford was just great, number one star for me with Johnson number 2.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:06 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Good game, glad the guys got off the goalless drought and did so in a huge way. Hopefully this does carry over. It was getting depressing talking about the scoring woes of the team and comparing them to the worst offensive teams in history.

As Sydor said though, this needs to happen more regular. We can't go out and get shutout next game. The offensive engine is starting to turnover (see last night and Vancouver) but it hasn't caught yet. When the engine is running, we'll be fine.

Interesting note, since the 8-2 beating from Detroit, we've only allowed more than two goals in a game once (a 4-3 win over Phoenix) Taking away SO goals, we've allowed 14 goals in 11 games under Sutter.

By comparision, we allowed three or more goals 14 times under TM (including eight in a nine game stretch near the beginning of the season).

Under DS we have score 22 goals in 11 games, under TM 67 goals in 29 games.

We have scored three or more goals in a game (not counting SO goals) three times under Sutter, and eight times under TM.

DS:
GF/G: 2.00
GA/G: 1.27

TM:
GF/G: 2.31
GA/G: 2.38

Hard to imagine under DS we'd get worse offensively, but that GAA is sick.

If we can just get our offense nudging upwards even to just above TM levels, we'll be looking pretty damn dominant.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Fripp

Getting the PP up around 20% would make them almost unbeatable.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
7-4.
thank you, Mr. Happy.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
... There's no way in hell the Kings beat the Sharks, in regulation, in all three remaining games.
Thanks!! I think you may have just jinxed the Sharks. That's great!

Old
01-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
... This is a Jekyl and Hyde team, no doubt about it. I am hoping Sutter can succeed where Murray obviously did not: to get these guys MOTIVATED EVERY SINGLE GAME. So far, that really hasn't happened...
Rather than Jekyl and Hyde, I see it as a young team in terms of how long these players have played together during a transition to a system tweaked for more offense. I guess we're using different metaphors to explain the same issue. They tuned out the coach (I was wrong about that, btw, I didn't think they had.) Now, everyone - staff and players - are on the same page at the same time.

I don't see a lack of motivation. I still see the occasional confusion between players about coverage, position, assignment, and attack responsibility. They're working through that at a pretty fast clip. When they're on - last night is how they play. When they're off - they make Columbus look good. Again, to me, that's not a lack of motivation - it's experience. We're just now starting to see what this roster is capable of. We're going to be a dangerous dark horse.

I like that position.

Sutter is a much better coach now than when he was in Calgary. I think the reduced media attention in LA is helping - along with the relatively hockey naive media.

I'm real happy.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
??? what does that even mean? They beat Phx (ok, only 1 goal in OT - booooo!), and they had plenty of chances to score vs Cbj yet just couldn't finish...???

A win is a win is a win.
I think he means that there were substantial differences between the Kings' performance versus Chicago, Vancouver, and Washington, and against the other teams they've played recently, Phoenix, Colorado, and Columbus, a view that I share.

In the former set, we've seen the Kings play a harder, more physical style in which they contested the front of the opposition net consistently and actually won those battles. THAT is the way this team needs to play; if they do that consistently, they will be very successful.

In the latter set, however, we've seen the same Kings team from earlier in the season: defensively sound, to be sure, but playing offense from the perimeter. They win some of these game, a testament to how solid their defense actually is. However, that perimeter offense will not make them successful in the long run, as we saw with Terry Murray.

This is why I'm still a little wary of their success against Washington, Vancouver, and Chicago. Those were great games, and I was thrilled to see them beat TWO division leaders in a week. When was the last time we saw that? I sure can't remember. However, they haven't started to play that harder style consistently. They followed some really strong games with the stinker against Columbus, a game that was a disgrace. Sure, they had some "chances," but those chances were low-percentage shots from the perimeter. They needed Columbus to make enough mistakes and BEAT THEMSELVES in order to win that game, and Columbus did not do that. On the other hand, in last night's game, the Kings manufactured offense. They took advantage of mistakes the Caps made, but their more aggressive style FORCED the Caps into mistakes.

So, as Ron said earlier, this is a Jeckyll and Hyde team. Sometimes they go the hard areas, but sometimes they don't. Until they do it consistently, they will not be consistently successful.

Edit: And as I was writing this, several people made similar points; I was too slow, but I'll leave it up to show my agreement anyhow.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Good game, glad the guys got off the goalless drought and did so in a huge way. Hopefully this does carry over. It was getting depressing talking about the scoring woes of the team and comparing them to the worst offensive teams in history.

As Sydor said though, this needs to happen more regular. We can't go out and get shutout next game. The offensive engine is starting to turnover (see last night and Vancouver) but it hasn't caught yet. When the engine is running, we'll be fine.

Interesting note, since the 8-2 beating from Detroit, we've only allowed more than two goals in a game once (a 4-3 win over Phoenix) Taking away SO goals, we've allowed 14 goals in 11 games under Sutter.

By comparision, we allowed three or more goals 14 times under TM (including eight in a nine game stretch near the beginning of the season).

Under DS we have score 22 goals in 11 games, under TM 67 goals in 29 games.

We have scored three or more goals in a game (not counting SO goals) three times under Sutter, and eight times under TM.

DS:
GF/G: 2.00
GA/G: 1.27

TM:
GF/G: 2.31
GA/G: 2.38

Hard to imagine under DS we'd get worse offensively, but that GAA is sick.

If we can just get our offense nudging upwards even to just above TM levels, we'll be looking pretty damn dominant.
Funny how playing with more aggressiveness and heart can do to a team that was already good defensively......now they actually spend even less time in their defensive zone. The goals will come, they've gotten lots of chances; they just can't finish!

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Karl Alzner quote about JJ "tebowing"

Butt... ********.

Well Karl....he celebrated....

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Let's just call a spade a spade, a point a point, and a 7-1-3 record a 7-1-3 record. The NHL has a particular formula and point structure for the standings and in that system the Kings are finding some success.

Does it really need to be more complicated than that?

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Does it really need to be more complicated than that?
4-1-1-1-2-1

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I remember last year people were saying the Kings had a lot of shootout victories so it was making the Kings look like they were better than they were. So far, this year, the Kings suck at the shootout so at least most of their of wins are in regulation or OT. They still need to keep winning to dig themselves out of the hole they created. Hopefully they win the rest of their games this season because they would probably make the playoffs if they did.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I remember last year people were saying the Kings had a lot of shootout victories so it was making the Kings look like they were better than they were. So far, this year, the Kings suck at the shootout so at least most of their of wins are in regulation or OT.
Spot on. If Kings had 10-0-0, some would be complaining because they would have zero overtime wins.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:42 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?
omg dude, sick av!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

A couple observations:

Anyone notice how often the Kings D immediately moved the puck up the ice after turnovers yesterday? Rarely did you see the D pass between each other while they waited for the forwards to curl around and allow the other team to get into position. It has been like that since Sutter got back but last night was just great execution.

Dustin Brown played pretty well last night and I noticed at the beginning of the game he got tied up with some dudes stick and he kinda got pissed off. He then hit Ovechkin a few times shortly after that and the Kings really started to gain some momentum. We need a player from the other team to wack Dustin with his stick at the beginning of every game to piss him off so he plays like that.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
I think he means that there were substantial differences between the Kings' performance versus Chicago, Vancouver, and Washington, and against the other teams they've played recently, Phoenix, Colorado, and Columbus, a view that I share.

In the former set, we've seen the Kings play a harder, more physical style in which they contested the front of the opposition net consistently and actually won those battles. THAT is the way this team needs to play; if they do that consistently, they will be very successful.

In the latter set, however, we've seen the same Kings team from earlier in the season: defensively sound, to be sure, but playing offense from the perimeter. They win some of these game, a testament to how solid their defense actually is. However, that perimeter offense will not make them successful in the long run, as we saw with Terry Murray.

This is why I'm still a little wary of their success against Washington, Vancouver, and Chicago. Those were great games, and I was thrilled to see them beat TWO division leaders in a week. When was the last time we saw that? I sure can't remember. However, they haven't started to play that harder style consistently. They followed some really strong games with the stinker against Columbus, a game that was a disgrace. Sure, they had some "chances," but those chances were low-percentage shots from the perimeter. They needed Columbus to make enough mistakes and BEAT THEMSELVES in order to win that game, and Columbus did not do that. On the other hand, in last night's game, the Kings manufactured offense. They took advantage of mistakes the Caps made, but their more aggressive style FORCED the Caps into mistakes.
Good points AF, but I disagree somewhat re some of the shots in the cbj games. In the 3rd, they had several point blank shots from the slot. Most of the shots hit the goalie in the logo, but that happens.

And you're right, their aggressive play forced the Caps into mistakes.

All in all, a very complete (and entertaining!!) game.

I must add that Ovie did get in some cheapshots behind the play or after the whistle (mostly stick work). If the Kings & Caps were in the same division, I'm sure I would hate him in a Theoren Fluery kind of way - he's pretty dirty and doesn't like it when opposing players check him hard.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Anyone notice how often the Kings D immediately moved the puck up the ice after turnovers yesterday? Rarely did you see the D pass between each other while they waited for the forwards to curl around and allow the other team to get into position. It has been like that since Sutter got back but last night was just great execution.
I also noticed that, and it seemed like our D was still jumping into the play even when we were holding a lead late; something I don't think Terry would have allowed.

I think Matt Greene has played much, much better since Sutter was hired.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
A couple observations:

Dustin Brown played pretty well last night and I noticed at the beginning of the game he got tied up with some dudes stick and he kinda got pissed off. He then hit Ovechkin a few times shortly after that and the Kings really started to gain some momentum. We need a player from the other team to wack Dustin with his stick at the beginning of every game to piss him off so he plays like that.
My Observations:

Brown started playing better as soon as Murray was let go. Wonder what Dean said to him? Brown has stepped it up a notch further since Sutter arrived. He is never going to have awesome hands, but he is very good at what he does if he stays on task.

The Kings are starting to pass much better and that is the result of improved puck support. Instead of trying to connect on the 20-foot pass all the time (nothing wrong with the homerun pass if it is there) the Kings seem to be doing a better job of supporting the puck carrier by having another player in the area to accept the little 5-8 foot passes it takes to break out of their zone.

One last thing: the Kings don't seem to be retreating as much as before. Now when they lose the puck in the offensive zone they hunt it and try to create a turnover immediately instead of waiting for the other team at their own blueline.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote