HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preseason GDT: Grand Rapids at Milwaukee

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2004, 11:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Preseason GDT: Grand Rapids at Milwaukee

Here's to hoping that NEW PLAYER can replicate his strong first game!

Eriks, what are the chances that Mike Matteucci is going to stick around? I know he's been kind of a journeyman AHL\NHL defenseman over the years, but it seems like he might be a replacement for the Ray Schultz element on defense.

Old
10-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Eriks

Send a message via ICQ to Eriks Send a message via AIM to Eriks Send a message via MSN to Eriks Send a message via Yahoo to Eriks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Here's to hoping that NEW PLAYER can replicate his strong first game!

Eriks, what are the chances that Mike Matteucci is going to stick around? I know he's been kind of a journeyman AHL\NHL defenseman over the years, but it seems like he might be a replacement for the Ray Schultz element on defense.

That was pretty much what Claude said yesterday about Mike, that he was a Ray Schultz like physical d-man with a mound of experience under his belt. I'd say he has a 70-30 chance of winning a spot, especially if they have 8 d-men rather than 7. The other blueliner that impressed me a little bit in the scrimmages was Tyler Hanchuck. But thats limited in scope, as I really didn't look at a lot of the non-roster guys.

Old
10-08-2004, 07:37 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The Ads are up 2-0 towards the latter part of the first. Upshall and Gamache (PP) with the goals. Toots, Haydar and Ruid with the assists.

Old
10-08-2004, 07:42 PM
SmokeyClause

Milwaukee ended the first with 18 shots on goal. Grand Rapids had 2.

Darryl Bootland recieved what appeared to be three penalties on one shift. He received a minor for high sticking, a major for high sticking and match for attempt to injure on a high stick. I wonder if Tootoo happened to be in the neighborhood?

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 10-08-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old
10-08-2004, 07:59 PM
handtrick

Sounds wild, 37 PIM in first period [28 GR, 9 MIL]....it looks like Mateucci and Vandemeer danced. Mil 18 shots, GR 2

Wonder whose head Bootland was trying to take off [high stick minor, major and game misconduct all in one].....Tootoo is my bet too Smokey...

Old
10-08-2004, 08:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Upshall just nabbed his second on the PP from Hammer and Tiley. Ads up 3-0.

As with most games last year, the Ads are routinely getting PP's. They have had 7 powerplays through 25 minutes of play. Teams must really hate them.

Old
10-08-2004, 08:12 PM
handtrick

Vandemeer had 398 PIM for Philadelphia Phatoms last year and Bootland had 175 for Grand Rapids last year...bad hombres....sounds like the Ads kept their cool through it all so far.

Old
10-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

any audio for tonight's game?

Old
10-08-2004, 08:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
any audio for tonight's game?

Not sure, I'm following it via theahl.com's website.

BTW, GR just scored (Hudler) on the PP to make it 3-1. The goal came against Finley after a Mike Matteucci holding penalty put Milwaukee down a man.

Old
10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Eriks

Send a message via ICQ to Eriks Send a message via AIM to Eriks Send a message via MSN to Eriks Send a message via Yahoo to Eriks
Tootoo was the "attempt to injuree". Toots hit a guy along the boards, I didn't see who, not sure if it was Bootland or not. Bootland hit him hard from the front, essentially the "reverse" crosscheck: stick raised push/shove at the chest, though he got it up high. Toots went over backwards, a little awkwardly (I was about 20' away at the time, behind and to the left, so the angle may have played a bit of a trick on me). The arm went up, Toots got up, and sticks and slashes flew fast and furious. The end result was a 7:00 penalty being put up on the board. Gamache scored to kill the minor. Upshall scored during the major, but after a minor had been called on us to make it 4 on 4.

Matteucci's fight with Vandermeer, which really wasn't much of a fight on his part except for one jab that caught Vandermeer off guard, was sticking up for Toots.

Old
10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriks
Tootoo was the "attempt to injuree". Toots hit a guy along the boards, I didn't see who, not sure if it was Bootland or not. Bootland hit him hard from the front, essentially the "reverse" crosscheck: stick raised push/shove at the chest, though he got it up high. Toots went over backwards, a little awkwardly (I was about 20' away at the time, behind and to the left, so the angle may have played a bit of a trick on me). The arm went up, Toots got up, and sticks and slashes flew fast and furious. The end result was a 7:00 penalty being put up on the board. Gamache scored to kill the minor. Upshall scored during the major, but after a minor had been called on us to make it 4 on 4.

Matteucci's fight with Vandermeer, which really wasn't much of a fight on his part except for one jab that caught Vandermeer off guard, was sticking up for Toots.
Ah, the AHL is already coming to love the joy that is Jordin Tootoo

Surprised Yablonski didn't take care of business.

Old
10-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Upshall two goals . This is great to hear, and its good to see Tootoo getting in on the offense.

Lets not forget that this Admiral team lead the league in goals by a signficant margin last year AND had the best record in the league/won the Calder cup. The Admirals have a great coach in Noel, and just a good team. I think Klein and Suter will benefit greatly from this experience, and Tootoo/Upshall should be able to make big strides this year as well. As I said in another thread, this lockout is not nearly as bad for us, as it is for other teams. We want our players to mature because our strength as a team lies with our prospects/young players. 1 more year may be a lost year for the Colorado's/Detroit that have their stars in their prime/brink of their careers....but for us...we have several guys that will likely be even better options to step in and play, then we would previously have available for us.

10-09-2004, 02:40 AM
SmokeyClause

Hey Eriks, what are your thoughts on Tootoo? Is this the first real experience you've had with him or have you seen him live in a Preds uni? He's unlike any player I've ever seen.

Old
10-09-2004, 10:20 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Upshall two goals . This is great to hear, and its good to see Tootoo getting in on the offense.

Lets not forget that this Admiral team lead the league in goals by a signficant margin last year AND had the best record in the league/won the Calder cup. The Admirals have a great coach in Noel, and just a good team. I think Klein and Suter will benefit greatly from this experience, and Tootoo/Upshall should be able to make big strides this year as well. As I said in another thread, this lockout is not nearly as bad for us, as it is for other teams. We want our players to mature because our strength as a team lies with our prospects/young players. 1 more year may be a lost year for the Colorado's/Detroit that have their stars in their prime/brink of their careers....but for us...we have several guys that will likely be even better options to step in and play, then we would previously have available for us.
excellent point Enoch....the Preds should come out of this lockout with maturity in our prospects right on the verge [Upshall, Shish, and Pivko, and some degree Suter] and rookies [Hammer and Tootoo] that will benefit us hugely over the next couple years.
I would even venture to say that this experience may make the difference in Tootoo's career of being a career 4th line pest vs. being similair to a Scott Walker....time will tell.

Old
10-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Eriks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Hey Eriks, what are your thoughts on Tootoo? Is this the first real experience you've had with him or have you seen him live in a Preds uni? He's unlike any player I've ever seen.
I saw Tootoo live last season a couple of games: two regular season and one playoff. Plus a lot of tv games on Center Ice.

My impressions last year were essentially: Energy guy. While he's exciting to watch, I really didn't get all the hype.

My impressions this year: He's trying hard to be something more than an energy guy. He has some growth to do. I think the lockout will do wonders for him. This season will help him become something more than just a novelty Inuit PR machine with fists of fury. Which honestly was what I saw him as last season. Not to disrespect the guy, but he wasn't really used all that much for anything other than as a guided missile sent to hit anything that moved, trotted out to do PR things and let the media drool over his heritage. I felt that he was underutilized.

Should he skate regularly with Upshall and Hrkac this season, as he did last night, we will see him learn a tremendous amount about hockey. Tony Hrkac will be a coach some day. Having him around will help Jordan become the player we all feel he can be.

Old
10-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Pred303

eriks...what do you think will be the admiral lines we might see saturday?

i see the upshall,hrkac,tootoo line you listed.(which i admit i find interesting)

what is the best guess as to the other 3 lines and defensive pairings they might run out there when it's for real?

Old
10-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Eriks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
eriks...what do you think will be the admiral lines we might see saturday?

i see the upshall,hrkac,tootoo line you listed.(which i admit i find interesting)

what is the best guess as to the other 3 lines and defensive pairings they might run out there when it's for real?

Hard to say really.

Since I've not seen a single game with all of the players who you will see dressed at once.

Last season's lines are relatively intact through the top three:

Segal(Tootoo)/Hrkac/Upshall
Haydar/Fiddler/Gamache
Pivko/Smith/Shishkanov

So if they wanted to remain with those lines, they could. And that was what I saw in the Grand Rapids game, with the exception of Fiddler who was sitting in the stands to allow JC Ruid to fight for his job.

The fourth line looks vaguely like this to me:

Yablonksi/Smithson/Severson

Though the loser of the Segal/Tootoo match could wind up on this line, as could Brown.

Since there will be 14 fowards on the final roster.

Defensive pairings are a little tougher but my best guess:

Hamhuis/Suter
Tiley/Klein
Zanon/Hutchinson

Though in Camp, Suter saw a lot of time with Hutch. I'll know better friday night after the home opener, and perhaps sooner if at Media Day tomorrow Claude discusses lines at all.

Old
10-11-2004, 12:28 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Hard to say really.

Since I've not seen a single game with all of the players who you will see dressed at once.

Last season's lines are relatively intact through the top three:

Segal(Tootoo)/Hrkac/Upshall
Haydar/Fiddler/Gamache
Pivko/Smith/Shishkanov

So if they wanted to remain with those lines, they could. And that was what I saw in the Grand Rapids game, with the exception of Fiddler who was sitting in the stands to allow JC Ruid to fight for his job.

The fourth line looks vaguely like this to me:

Yablonksi/Smithson/Severson

Though the loser of the Segal/Tootoo match could wind up on this line, as could Brown.

Since there will be 14 fowards on the final roster.

Defensive pairings are a little tougher but my best guess:

Hamhuis/Suter
Tiley/Klein
Zanon/Hutchinson

Though in Camp, Suter saw a lot of time with Hutch. I'll know better friday night after the home opener, and perhaps sooner if at Media Day tomorrow Claude discusses lines at all.

wow. I forgot hoqw good the Ads were. good lineup. I got a buddy who says the Amerks goalie is pretty rock solid and we'd be lucky to slip a goal past him!

Old
10-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Pred303

thanks eriks...

man this is going to be one talented ads team,of course you expect this to be the most loaded the AHL will ever be with all teams young prospects sent down to get experience waiting this thing out....

Old
10-11-2004, 02:21 PM
predperson

The Ads will be a great team to follow this year.....too bad it's such a long drive to go see their games. Guess a lot of us will be listening on the internet and waiting on Erics to post what he sees in person.....

Looking forward to Saturday night but it's far too little hockey.....

Old
10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson
The Ads will be a great team to follow this year.....too bad it's such a long drive to go see their games. Guess a lot of us will be listening on the internet and waiting on Erics to post what he sees in person.....

Looking forward to Saturday night but it's far too little hockey.....
well, plane tickets to chicago are $90 and milwaukee is about a 1.5 hour drive from chicago. I'm going the weekend of 2/9-2/13 and there are Ads games 2/10 and 2/12 in milwauke and one on 2/11 in chicago.

Of course my wife is from northern IL so we have a place to sleep. that could get pricey, but I'd guess if you stayed somewhere in between milwaukee and chicago (i.e. kenosha) you could get a room for $50 or so. just a thought.

Old
10-11-2004, 04:39 PM
predperson

Yeah, you could afford to do that a time or two this season but I'm used to 42 games/season......

I'm sure the withdrawl symptoms will be bad......

Old
10-11-2004, 07:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
wow. I forgot hoqw good the Ads were. good lineup. I got a buddy who says the Amerks goalie is pretty rock solid and we'd be lucky to slip a goal past him!

If you're referring to Ryan Miller, tell your buddy that we've been hearing that since he was drafted and have yet to see this "phenom goalie."

Old
10-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Eriks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
If you're referring to Ryan Miller, tell your buddy that we've been hearing that since he was drafted and have yet to see this "phenom goalie."
You mean the guy we beat in the playoffs?

Old
10-12-2004, 09:28 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
You mean the guy we beat in the playoffs?

That's the one

Closed Thread