HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early opinions on Daryl Sutter

Old
01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Northern Heat

vCash: 500
Early opinions on Daryl Sutter

Flames fan here, curious about your take on D. Sutter so far?

He did pretty good while coaching CGY. Flames were a work-horse team at the time. His GM skills were a different story (one day great, the next day you would be beating you head against a wall).

If he sticks to just coaching, he has an interesting way of turning every player into a hustling demon who goes all out during their shift.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

The team in a whole is bringing more consistent effort on a nightly basis now. We are not seeing the 20 minute games like we did under Murray. We're seeing 60 minutes. It's not to say there aren't bad shift or extended time when the opposing team has control...that's hockey. But he seems to be getting the most out of the players.

I am a fan.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Nex06

I like him. Personally I didn't understand this board before he came here. Most posters were going nuts and expecting him to be Saddam Hussein kind of a dictator, they thought that what the players needed was a whip, they said DS is a rude coach who will be yelling all the time. I objected to all those assumptions, but I was almost alone.

Most of all I objected to those who said that DS is not a good choice because Kings need someone opposite to TM. Their argument was that they are both defensively minded. My opinion was that they ARE opposite, but not when it comes to style of play. They are opposite when it comes to style of COACHING. And in my opinion, that was what Kings needed most.

He is able to motivate players better than TM and contrary to popular opinion, he has been doing it almost entirely by encouraging them, he doesn't let ANYTHING positive go unnoticed. He also let's player know about what they are doing wrong and where they should be better. But he does that part in the locker room only and nothing leaves that room.

To me it was interesting what Sutter said yesterday, that he talked to Kopitar about improving certain parts of his game, not necessarily offense. But when he was asked to specify what parts of game, he refused to do so. He treats the team as a family and he wants certain things to stay in family.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post

He did pretty good while coaching CGY. Flames were a work-horse team at the time. His GM skills were a different story (one day great, the next day you would be beating you head against a wall).

If he sticks to just coaching, he has an interesting way of turning every player into a hustling demon who goes all out during their shift.
Yeah, that's about right. I have no complaints about the Kings effort since he's taken over as coach.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings are harder and quicker to pucks. I noticed that right away. We don't sit back anymore.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Ollie Weeks

I approve of the Puppet.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

The Kings are 6-1-3 under coach Darryl Sutter and have recorded at least one point in 10 of their last 11 games (7-1-3).

He must be doing something right...

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I have no complaints. Still many kinks to work out with getting consistent offensive production, but we definitely took a big step in the right direction immediately after he was hired. Also we like seeing him take a more active role with the players versus the stoic and emotionless Murray.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
deeshamrock

I wasn't sure what to expect, but prior to his arrival, i did read comments about him being King's coach on some of the Flames boards/blogs. Mostly all were very positive and said much of what we've seen in the ability to motivate players to perform better, hustle on each shift, make good decisions, stick together, positive reinforcment, etc.
The team concept- something that Justin Williams said yesterday that was new to the team was instead of leaving the ice after practice in pairs at odd times, they all leave the ice as a group and after they change, they havea team meeting in the locker room. And as indicated already, whatever is said in there, stays there.
Fatherly - I really like the hands on he gives after shifts, draping the fatherly arm on the players and speaking to them. I've seen a big difference in DD's play and he was one of the first players Sutter did that with. I think esp with young players , that's good
<Most of the former players interviewed all spoke hightly of him and the common thread in their comments was 'not wanting to disappoint him' and that he 'makes you accountable'
Jeremy Roenick said Sutter was one of the best coaches he ever had becaues of that accountability and how he motivated you to give 100% every shift.
So far, I've seen a big diff. on the 3rd and 4th lines, really 360 from when TM was coach. They are hustling, making good decisions and contributing.
And the D men all have improved...
Sutter is do9ing a good job...and hopefully with him at the helm the ship is on course again.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:45 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Puck possession time - for that improvement alone Sutter's been hugely beneficial.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Whiskeypete

Great job to date. I think exactly what most of these young guys needed. Someone that would hold everyone equally accountable at all times. There was a lack of that previously. He also has done a superb job of motivating and having the team prepared for 60 and not 20-minutes each game.

My fears at the start were his abrasive personality. So far we haven't seen it. Is this a gentler, kinder Sutter than years past? Has he possibly mellowed a bit with age? You can see the intensity, emotion and drive, but at the same time he seems more controlled and at ease. Another thing this team needed. A leader that was calm, intense and composed, but shows emotion. Long term I am wary about the stories of his abrasiveness finally rubbing guys wrong, which leads to personnel/personality issues.

My other fear is any possible nightmare trade scenario(s) that he and DL could/may concoct to 'fit a need'. Only time will tell when it comes to this. I was afraid of BFF coming in and then announcing that player x, y, and z aren't "sutter" type players. What that could possibly mean in terms of lost picks, prospects and roster players. LA has lost enough guys within the last 5-years that were deemed useless by a coach, only to emerge elsewhere. LA doesn't need anymore Boyle, Moulson, Purcells.

So far so good. I was highly skeptical at first, but I like what I see so far.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

opinions depend largely on when you ask. Had you asked yesterday (before the game), it would have been "same garbage, different coach", along with the stats to prove it.

Now that you ask today, the team is a whole different team... along with the stats to prove it.

my opinion is that we're a better team. We got burners on our feet now that gets us looking closer to the Andy Murray days (I don't care what people say, I thought our team looked great back then). Still not the results we want (goals for average still incredibly low), but we're definitely better than the 10 games before Sutter.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:29 PM
voynov26

Quote:

I have heard and read great things about Darryl Sutter as a coach. So Far, he has been "as advertised." Players really love him and love to play for him. About his berating style from what I have researched is overblown by the media.

Back on December 29, 2011 I wrote an article about how he will be a great fit for LA. The Kings will make the playoffs with him. How far...? remains to be seen.

But he will bring out the best in each and every player of the team. I think we will reach the second round. Finally.

Here's the article: http://vitalexpressions.blogspot.com...-playoffs.html

Adding some pieces however will be ideal.

voynov26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
opinions depend largely on when you ask. Had you asked yesterday (before the game), it would have been "same garbage, different coach", along with the stats to prove it.

Now that you ask today, the team is a whole different team... along with the stats to prove it.
Since I'm one of the people who wasn't a big fan of the Sutter hiring, let me explain my position. I've been clear all along. It is my opinion that Darryl Sutter would net short term gains by getting more out of the players than Murray was in terms of hustle and compete. He'll show some emotion, hold players accountable if they play like crap and get them to be a little more aggressive offensively. He, in my opinion, is not the guy to take the team to becoming a top ten offensive team though. He doesn't have a track record of it and he is a defense first coach.

I said it before and I'll say it again, i think he can and will get the Kings to the playoffs but I don't think he'll get them to a place where they have a top 10 offense and defense. Having a top offense is pretty important to becoming a Stanley Cup Champion in the post lockout era. All the teams since the lockout have had a top 10 offense (I believe it is actually top 7 - Ducks were the worst offense team to win). I think the Kings need to make a change organizationally from player personnel to coaching that focuses more on offense if they want to have a legitimate shot at the Cup in the near future.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
fsanford

I have seen him actually talk to guys during the game, especially guys like Doughty and Johnson, taking a moment to teach..

Last night before the power play, in which the Kings scored, they showed Sutter talking to both Johnson and Doughty on the bench. Not sure what he said but those to proceeded to set up the chance for Williams to score a power play goal.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again, i think he can and will get the Kings to the playoffs but I don't think he'll get them to a place where they have a top 10 offense and defense. Having a top offense is pretty important to becoming a Stanley Cup Champion in the post lockout era. All the teams since the lockout have had a top 10 offense (I believe it is actually top 7 - Ducks were the worst offense team to win). I think the Kings need to make a change organizationally from player personnel to coaching that focuses more on offense if they want to have a legitimate shot at the Cup in the near future.
Valid points, however the less goals you are getting the less you need to score. Anaheim was 8-9th in goals scored the season they won the Cup. What they did in the playoffs was increasing goal output slightly AND decreasing GAA. Playoffs are different. I think that Sutter can do both in playoffs - increasing GG and decreasing GAA. Or at least keep it around 2.10. What works for him is, that playoffs are by default closer and the qualities that Sutter can raise in the players become even more important. Every game should be an epic battle - if Sutter has anything to say about it.

Anaheim, in my opinion, was not the top performer in regular season. But they were able to play at a much higher level in the PO.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Butch 19
King me

I am seeing much more sustained 5-on-5 pressure.

Make that I am seeing 5-on-5 pressure (not sure if I ever saw it under TM).

How Kompon survived the house cleaning is still beyond me. I assume DS would have a PP coach in mind to bring in... ??

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
They are shooting from high % areas. It makes me happy.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I am seeing much more sustained 5-on-5 pressure.

Make that I am seeing 5-on-5 pressure (not sure if I ever saw it under TM).

How Kompon survived the house cleaning is still beyond me. I assume DS would have a PP coach in mind to bring in... ??
Have you noticed what the first part of that cleaning was? There was a PP timeout in one game... I think it was Columbus? Not sure. Kompon was nowhere to be seen, Sutter did all the explanation.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
null33

So far it's been positive. On the ice we're seeing:

1) More hustle;
2) More effective line combos (Everybody seems to have fallen head over heels for Richardson/Loktionov/Lewis; Hunter/Fraser/Clifford are much, much improved, too);
3) More aggressive forecheck;
4) Better breakouts.

He's also pulled off a subtler trick. It's not exactly "accountability", but accountability is part of it. It's "responsibility". He's asking more of his players to contribute in meaningful ways. So you wind up with a rookie like Loktionov centering his own line and going up against Ovechkin's line* and you get Clifford and Penner (!) on the PK. That's terrific for the culture. And it'll be terrific for the win column, too, as all 23 guys start accepting responsibility for the team's success.

----------------
*The Great 8 rewarded Loktionov's solid defensive play against him with a cross-check, which broke Ovechkin's stick, but didn't result in a power play...

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Northern Heat

When he was in CGY the flames had the identity and reputation a blue-collar group and "the hardest working team in the league". Since he left the bench to go full time upstairs, he was missed and the teams attitude and guts diminished greatly.

Word of advice, keep him behind the bench and let Lombardi keep the upstairs job. Sutter is an amazing coach but if he takes over GM, you'll maybe never see another first round pick again because they're all traded for grinders.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
topliner967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post

My fears at the start were his abrasive personality. So far we haven't seen it. Is this a gentler, kinder Sutter than years past? Has he possibly mellowed a bit with age? You can see the intensity, emotion and drive, but at the same time he seems more controlled and at ease. Another thing this team needed. A leader that was calm, intense and composed, but shows emotion. Long term I am wary about the stories of his abrasiveness finally rubbing guys wrong, which leads to personnel/personality issues.
I think it was Jim Fox who said he might be taking a different approach right now because what the team lacked/lacks is confidence, and going in guns blazing might not be the wise thing to do in that sort of situation.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Duc620

Quote:
... Sutter is an amazing coach but if he takes over GM, you'll maybe never see another first round pick again because they're all traded for grinders.
He is a great coach. He will bring us as close as possible to the Cup. It's up to the players to grab it and take it.

It's funny, our GM is all about D-men and Goalies. He tends to trade for grinders. I guess they all have their filters and specialties.

Thanks for checking in. And thanks for Sutter.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
He is a great coach. He will bring us as close as possible to the Cup. It's up to the players to grab it and take it.

It's funny, our GM is all about D-men and Goalies. He tends to trade for grinders. I guess they all have their filters and specialties.

Thanks for checking in. And thanks for Sutter.
He and Sutter will get along great.

Kings are already on the rise and they are gonna be some kind of tough to beat. The talent is already there and now the additional effort and hustle is going to pay dividends.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

They're winning & picking up points more. The offense is still a question mark, but that probably has more to do with what is going on between the players ears and less to do with what the coaching staff is putting out there.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote