HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has been the Kings' best forward so far this year?

View Poll Results: Who has been the Kings' best forward so far this year?
Dustin Brown 6 6.82%
Simon Gagne 0 0%
Anze Kopitar 22 25.00%
Dustin Penner 0 0%
Mike Richards 57 64.77%
Jarred Stoll 0 0%
Justin Williams 0 0%
Other (please specify) 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM
ninetynine*

vCash: 500
Kevin Westgarth

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
moosehead81

IMO, Mike Richards has been the best forward followed by Kopitar and Brown- Quick has easily been the MVP and they'd be looking up at a lot of teams in the standings except for him. MR would be a lot better point wise if he played with a little more talent on the wings however, he makes up for the loss in points by his defensive posture. I'd like to see him on the point a bit more on the PP and never see him again at winger, 5 on 5. Just a waste playing him there in that situation.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Ryker

I figured it would come down to either Richards or Kopitar, but, frankly, I'm surprised by the results of this poll. But you're the ones watching the Kings games, so I can't really argue with them.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Richards and his line shut down Ovechkin last night. Besides a few hits, Ovechkin wasn't able to do much offensively and Richards wouldn't give him much time or space to setup. He does all the little things that sometimes go unnoticed that ultimately results in wins.
Very true, though few around here recognize the little things.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:42 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Dustin Brown for me. He has had a few bad games, but for the most part, he's been the most consistent King all year. His offense has picked up of late and he's been clutch all year.

1. Dustin Brown
2. Mike Richards
3. Anze Kopitar

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:34 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

First 20 games Kopitar by far. Second 20 games Richards by far. Overall I'd give it to Richards but Kopitar is a close 2nd. Also my expectations for Kopitar is probably higher than on Richards, which might factor in.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Jetteroheller

I love Kopi but....Richards has been playing with that little extra bit of desire this year so far.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Interesting opinion here,

Best Forward....

Colin Fraser, he simply hands down has not taken a game off since being in the lineup.

Granted, he isn't going to get you points, but he has brought the bottom six around with his hustle and work ethic, and he simply doesn't stop when he gets out there, and it's consistent.
You could pretty much say the same thing about Brown except he also produces.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I figured it would come down to either Richards or Kopitar, but, frankly, I'm surprised by the results of this poll.
Why, in what way?

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Why, in what way?
I guess I just thought Kopitar would get more votes.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Kopitar has had 2 goals in 20 something games now, he's in a horrendous drought right now. Might be worth revisiting this after the season is over to see if opinions have changed, hopefully Kopitar shakes the slump and gets back to being the #1 go to guy soon.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Kopitar and Richards have slightly different fan base. Fans love Kopitar as they love their teddy bear. The love for Richards is more of a bromance kind, though.

As I said in my first post, when Richards doesn't play well, it is not as obvious as when Kopitar doesn't play well, because Richards is just always the coolest player on ice. So the votes don't surprise me one bit. Realistically they have shown pretty much the same so far this season. Sometimes it's Kopitar ahead, sometimes Richards. Richards is just so charismatic that he has a head start in every possible poll you will create. It's extremely easy to be his fan, count me in.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
jml87

Richards does stuff on the ice that doesn't show up on stat sheets or highlight videos. So even when he's not scoring points you can notice his presence in other ways. However, if Kopitar kind find a way to get over his extended periods of disappearing, he has enough skill I think to be one of the best forwards in the league, not just on the Kings.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I think it broils down to a work ethic versus talent thing.

Work ethic, it's Brown, talent it's Kopitar. Richards though brings the best balance of both; he's our hardest working forward outside of Brown, and he's our most talented forward behind Kopitar.

Kopitar would have a lot more votes if he didn't take off on his annual winter vacation for a month like he did in December.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Maybe to fill space?
ZING!

But: Fraser has most exceeded expectations, Brown has played best since the coaching change, Koiptar has had the most dominant single games where he was playing like Malkin at his best, Richards has been best overall, Williams has been most disappointing, but only because Stoll and Penner lowered expectations so much. Also, Williams has played with the most effort since the coaching change, even more than Brown. Kopitar has recently continued his offensive disappearing act he began from before the change, I think the mafia threatened to do something to him if he ever took a shot from the slot again. But at least he's been contributing to the best PK in the world.

Stoll has possibly contributed the most to the Kings' long term success by making himself unplayable at 3C, giving Loktionov a chance. So there's that. I should have voted Stoll. How can I change my vote?

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Kopitar had a long goalless drought and has a higher cap hit, which means higher expectations for most posters (even though Richards was paid more last season and will be paid more through 2013-14). And there's the what have you done for me lately mentality. If Richards played the same and Kopitar had the weak first quarter and a strong second quarter (as opposed to a strong first quarter and weak second quarter), the numbers would probably be reversed.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

For me it's a draw between Kopi and Richards. Both are good in their own way, both need to score alittle more.

I like what Colin Fraser brings for being a thrown in throw away in the Smyth deal.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Randart

Tough Choice...

That was a hard one, I did choose Kopi by default nearly as I think he is the leading scorer on the team. But I love what MR has brought to the team! And you guys make many good points about our forwards.

I am so happy we have Kopi and MR as our Numbers 1a & 1b centers we are very rich at center! Hopefully our wings get the scoring going on the major up scale for the rest of the year and chase our centers to the finish line and the Playoffs.

Go Kings Go...

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I am not sure where those "Richards and it's not even close" posts are coming from. I voted for Kopitar, but it's damn close and I would understand if someone thought it's Richards, but barely. Neither of them is close to team MVP though.

They both had shifts and games where they just didn't look good out there, offensively and defensively. People who haven't seen those shifts from Richards, are in my humble opinion still a bit under impression of "the" trade. Richards is NOT god and I am sure that people will be more realistic once the dust settles, next season perhaps. Oh, and for the record, I think he is perfect fit for the Kings, I am just not buying hype, regardless if it's Kopitar, Richards, Quick or Doughty. Give credit where credit is due, but don't miss all the negatives, just because you like a player so much.

The only difference between bad games from Kopitar and Richards is, that when Kopitar is not playing well, he looks lost, his facial expression shows lack of confidence. When Richards is playing bad, he still looks much more confident, he looks in control almost all the time. So maybe that is the reason for AINEC, I don't know.

When Kopitar had -5 in 3 game stretch somebody said "it's not a coincidence" Well, from what I have seen Richard's -2 in last 14 games is not a coincidence either, especially -2 he has in last 8 games. I am not saying that he is bad or anything. I am just saying that he is not AS good as he was 15 games ago. It's normal that players fluctuate slightly (and I'm not talking about numbers). I am simply questioning the "It is not even close" argument... It IS close.
To which I say:
Richards AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Defgarden

Richards has been better this season I think, though I wouldn't say by far. I think Kopitar is naturally more talented, and can completely take over a game, or at least has the ability to, and that's what this team has been missing.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
To which I say:
Richards AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Good argumentation. Pretty much proving my point, thanks.

Fraser has been mentioned couple of times and I agree with positive remarks. I have absolutely forgotten the way Kings ... well "received" Fraser. Everyone thought he will be waived or put in minors or whatever. He is doing his job and earns his salary. Not that happy with Hunter though, even if he is on minimum salary.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Are we trying to pick the best of the worst? All of the top 9 forwards have been disappointing. I can't pick any of them. At least Fraser has done his job and is a nice surprise.

Quick is the best Kings player AINEC.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote