HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin- Newest Scout for Habs

Old
01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So I guess we will have a team full of Tom Pyatt's in the future, fantastic. I'm really happy Molson is keeping everyone
So you're a better judge of hockey talent than Martin? There's an asylum full of know-it-alls who think like you.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So you're a better judge of hockey talent than Martin? There's an asylum full of know-it-alls who think like you.
I personally am a better judge of talent than Martin, the poster in question isn't, hence why I am correct in saying Martin as a scout is a good move.

I have also deemed this post of yours to be talented as well.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Relax people. The Habs are already paying him the same amount, whether he sits at home doing nothing or actually goes and watches some games and provides some scouting reports....
I'd prefer he just goes out and gets St Hubert for the guys after games.

Quote:
Is that asylum called "Hockey's Future"?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
onice

I think this is a good move. The only drawback is if Martin holds grudges and will hand in bogus reports that are misleading but he doesn't seem like that type of person. He's seems like someone who cares.

A couple of weeks ago a member posted an interview with martin on Sirius radio. He was still talking about the Habs as we which told me he still considered himself part of the organization. And to be quite frank he sounded happy. He didn't sound depressed that he had lost his job; he sounded like a man who had a ton of weight removed from his shoulders. Maybe the brass told him take some time off and decide what you want to do in our organization.

I started off as a big martin fan but he slowly eroded my confidence in his coaching ability but the man has been in hockey for 3-4 decades. As a coach he may no longer be relevant but that's still alotta experience & knowledge. You don't let that walk out the door.

Look at the Red Wings the only people who leave that club are the ones who are offered huge promotions and they usually do it very reluctantly.

Martin's time as a coach may have passed him by but I think he's still a valuable hockey person.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I suppose if you have to pay these guys anyway, then might as well put them to work.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think this is a good move. The only drawback is if Martin holds grudges and will hand in bogus reports that are misleading but he doesn't seem like that type of person. He's seems like someone who cares.

A couple of weeks ago a member posted an interview with martin on Sirius radio. He was still talking about the Habs as we which told me he still considered himself part of the organization. And to be quite frank he sounded happy. He didn't sound depressed that he had lost his job; he sounded like a man who had a ton of weight removed from his shoulders. Maybe the brass told him take some time off and decide what you want to do in our organization.

I started off as a big martin fan but he slowly eroded my confidence in his coaching ability but the man has been in hockey for 3-4 decades. As a coach he may no longer be relevant but that's still alotta experience & knowledge. You don't let that walk out the door.

Look at the Red Wings the only people who leave that club are the ones who are offered huge promotions and they usually do it very reluctantly.

Martin's time as a coach may have passed him by but I think he's still a valuable hockey person.
Nobody would do that. I think his prolbem in coaching might be his lack of effective communication with younger players. Might be he could be a really valuable assistant to a team at some point.

People trashing this move just confuse the hell out of me. The guy has coached well over 1,000 NHL hockey games...if the team feels he'd be a good asset for them scouting out pro or amateur players than good on him. Maybe Martin will find a second career as a scout, who knows.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
JackieChan

There's no need to panic here. Martin's been in the league for a while, his knacks are well documented. Gauthier or whoever replaces him will be able to put his scouting reports in context.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
since he is getting paid i rather he do somthing then nothing

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
And there's another one for guys that love Tom Pyatt like you.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

The overreaction is simply staggering. Especially since pretty much the exact same thing happened with Perry just a few weeks ago.

Scouts (amateurs and professionals) are pretty much at the lowest of the hockey management pecking order. It's a very basic job. JM is OBVIOUSLY way, waaaay overqualified for it. It's just a gig he had to accept in order to continue being paid his fat coach contract. Some of you guys act like he's going to spoil the system just by being present. Jeeeez. Get a grip on yourself!

And to think that we just had a thread about how the habs have less scouts than other teams. Now you're going to whine that we just got a guy who has probably more hockey experience than any single other scout we have? Pathetic.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Make him scout the defensive body positioning of every single player in the NHL. He's the expert.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Some fans are taking this waaaaaay too seriously and over-dramatize every little event. And the hate towards JM has become just totally irrational.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The overreaction is simply staggering. Especially since pretty much the exact same thing happened with Perry just a few weeks ago.

Scouts (amateurs and professionals) are pretty much at the lowest of the hockey management pecking order. It's a very basic job. JM is OBVIOUSLY way, waaaay overqualified for it. It's just a gig he had to accept in order to continue being paid his fat coach contract. Some of you guys act like he's going to spoil the system just by being present. Jeeeez. Get a grip on yourself!

And to think that we just had a thread about how the habs have less scouts than other teams. Now you're going to whine that we just got a guy who has probably more hockey experience than any single other scout we have? Pathetic.
I came here to post something like the bolded, glad you did it first.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I personally am a better judge of talent than Martin, the poster in question isn't, hence why I am correct in saying Martin as a scout is a good move.

I have also deemed this post of yours to be talented as well.
I'm an horrible talent judge so that's why I'm not a scout, much less an amateur scout for a Russian team as someone in that asylum called HF has PMed me about.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Habitant#1

If it keeps him off of L'Antichambre then I'm all for it.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:53 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:

Agree with every word.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Définitivement.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
It's not like he would say anything substantial on l'AC.....

"Il y a certain individu....bla bla bla......joue defensivement.......bla bla.....carey fait le boulot....."

then Bergy holds mario hand and laughs.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Définitivement.
You mean, "Définitivement, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......."

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

To play devil's advocate...........

Lets say that you just got fired from your high paying $$$ sales job. Since you are on contract still (and you need to stick around to get your bonus), the manager that just fired you now wants you to go out there and find some leads for some new clients. You agree to it.

Seriously, are you going to go out and give it your best effort?

Or are you going to simply go through the motions and pretend like you give a ****?

If you say you would work your ass off, you arent very honest.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
BLBarmada

The Habs are now the worst run organization in the world, next:

To MTL
7th round pick

To TOR
1st,2nd and 3rd round picks.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And there's another one for guys that love Tom Pyatt like you.
Funny, I always considered Tom Pyatt to be a shadow puppet of a forward. His body checks had about as much substance.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Lets say that you just got fired from your high paying $$$ sales job. Since you are on contract still (and you need to stick around to get your bonus), the manager that just fired you now wants you to go out there and find some leads for some new clients. You agree to it.

Or are you going to simply go through the motions and pretend like you give a ****?

I would expect Jacques Martin to exhibit the expected professionalism. I'm sure he's sensitive to his reputation.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Of course I would do my best effort. Business is business.

I'm a consultant, I got fired from a job in a big-4 this summer. I had been working every evening and every weekend for close to two years. I was doing an important mandate for a client when it happened. I finished the mandate under a temporary contract with the client, even thought it wasn't paying that well and I was completely burned and only wanted to take some long overdue vacancy. In the business world, that's a pretty standard if you want to keep your good name. That's how professional act. When you're paid millions, this is even more obvious. We're not talking about flipping burgers here. JM knows he can take at worst a few months for him to land a new coaching job anyway, he knows better than simply sucking out of spite.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Well I was at a restaurant at Windsor Station today and saw Geoff Molson eating and I overheard the name Erik Johnson.... just saying.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote