HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff: Hitting "doesn't do any good (if you don't get the puck back)"

Old
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
KevinFG

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If everyone took a step back from the ledge and actually thought about what Ruff said. They would realize he was right.

We can't consistantly win puck battles and it makes it hard for us to establish a forecheck because the other team easily gains possession and is able to clear their zone. We can't clear our own zone many times because we can't gain possession of the puck and spend time trying to fight off the other times cycle. We also struggle with puck recovery on the PP in part becasue of this.
That's simply not what he said. Might be what he meant, but it's not what he said.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Rangerfans

If you look at the NHL stats: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...=realTimeStats

You will notice that total hits really has no correlation to the wins column. Sure, it helps the Rangers and Kings, etc. But then you have a team like Columbus who is 4th in the league in hits and sits at the bottom of the standings.

I agree with what a lot of you are saying though: finish your checks. If you're a d-man who is getting constantly hit in the corners when the puck is coming to you, you have a far greater chance of making an error (ie: throwing the puck to the middle to prevent that hit) when the opposition is finishing their checks.

However, I don't think there is any true correlation that total hits = wins.

You guys need an identity.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:19 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Actually its the entire point Ruff is making.

He is talking about the hard work of winning 1 on 1 battles. Thats what Ruff is saying. But you and others are so gung ho to rip him you're either ignoring it or just don't care. So in effect by ripping what Ruff said, you actually are saying puck battles aren't important.
The controversy is this comment by Lindy.

"You can run around and hit all you want. If you don't get the puck back, it doesn't do any good."

Please stay on topic.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
at the time, the excuse was that Tim Kennedy earned his spot... nice call Lindy. Today, Paille is a core bottom 6 2 way forward/Pker on the best team in hockey.... Kennedy is in the AHL....

Lindy Ruff talent evaluator extraordinaire
Paille was also believed to be a locker room problem, and there were threads about it on here that Stafford's play would improve (and it did) once Paille and MacArthrur were gone. My recollection is that nobody on this board wanted to keep Paille, and everyone on this board was pretty happy to get a 3rd and conditional 4th for the guy.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Grinder44

Regardless of what Ruff said or what the best system is, I'm a Buffalo guy -- I want a hard-working, hard-hitting, passionate team in the Blue and Gold. The non-responsive, timid nature of this team has been fodder for the national media all season, yet not finishing checks and not playing with just some plain, old-fashioned nasty is A-OK with some here because, gee, it's all about puck possession. Good grief. I think Ruff is a good coach. But as a fan, born and raised in blue collar Buffalo, I want to cheer for a team that hits and has some grit to its game. Is that really too much to ask? What are they, 11th place in the East? It's not like they'd be messing with success. This is about the fans, too, who pay for this on-ice product. I think the vast majority of us would much prefer a hard-hitting, blue-collar team that plays physical hockey night-in and night-out. Seems to work okay for the Bruins.

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder44 View Post
Regardless of what Ruff said or what the best system is, I'm a Buffalo guy -- I want a hard-working, hard-hitting, passionate team in the Blue and Gold. The non-responsive, timid nature of this team has been fodder for the national media all season, yet not finishing checks and not playing with just some plain, old-fashioned nasty is A-OK with some here because, gee, it's all about puck possession. Good grief. I think Ruff is a good coach. But as a fan, born and raised in blue collar Buffalo, I want to cheer for a team that hits and has some grit to its game. Is that really too much to ask? What are they, 11th place in the East? It's not like they'd be messing with success. This is about the fans, too, who pay for this on-ice product. I think the vast majority of us would much prefer a hard-hitting, blue-collar team that plays physical hockey night-in and night-out. Seems to work okay for the Bruins.
To the 1st part I bolded: Yes, it's too much to ask, with the exceptions of VHP (they aren't overly physical, but being willing to take hits to make plays is gritty and necessary for winning), McNabb, Regehr, and Weber, and sometimes the bottom 6 guys.
To the 2nd part: this is so dead on. except lindy's our coach. why should the sabres change strategies EVER even when they suck?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
ogoaltrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I truly enjoy how so many positions I've held for years (and would get berated for) that are now becoming accepted...
Right on !!!!!!

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
McTank

Wow I was on the keep ruff boat before this but seriously?
I want him gone immediately

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Completely agreed. We struggled with it for much of last season (before our run) and we're struggling with it now.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:03 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Lindy Ruff. GTFO

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Dreakon

Hopefully Gragnani's counter gets him in the doghouse.

Dreakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
They don't have much of a choice with some of the contracts this team currently has.
There is no one on this team with an untradeable contract. Not even close.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:16 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Out of pocket travelling today and just got to this thread.....

I'm amazed he said what's been reported here.

Hockey 101.... the purpose of checking is to separate the mane (puck possessing opponent) from the puck. Not now the player into the 2nd row of seats or injure him. Separation resulting from taking the proper angle to the puck and forcing your opponent to lose concentration.

Tactic is to ..... angle the man inside out, close the gap quickly, deliver the hit (shoulder to chest or hip to abdomen if possible), outnumber the opposition and recover the puck. First man in (F1) takes the man, 2nd man (F2) recovers the puck. Speed, support read and react is key here.

All done in a purposeful, controlled fashion with intent.

I understand where Ruff is coming from with his comments.... No team can simply run around all over the ice just hitting folks to hit them. But he needs to think how what he is saying will be interpreted.

His comments easily lead one to the conclusion that he prefers a soft, passive style of play. Which taken on its own, is quite upsetting.

Then again, I'm guessing he really doesn't give a rat's pitute what we think....

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
There is no one on this team with an untradeable contract. Not even close.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Shmuffalo
Ice hockey player

I remember him saying this in a post game interview 2 or 3 years ago. It's always stuck out in my mind.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:53 PM
hizzoner

I hate it when we neither get the puck nor the man with the puck. Following through with your check gives you a chance for both. Brush by kisses do dick.....

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:37 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
If you look at the NHL stats: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...=realTimeStats

You will notice that total hits really has no correlation to the wins column. Sure, it helps the Rangers and Kings, etc. But then you have a team like Columbus who is 4th in the league in hits and sits at the bottom of the standings.

I agree with what a lot of you are saying though: finish your checks. If you're a d-man who is getting constantly hit in the corners when the puck is coming to you, you have a far greater chance of making an error (ie: throwing the puck to the middle to prevent that hit) when the opposition is finishing their checks.

However, I don't think there is any true correlation that total hits = wins.

Our identiy was supposed to be Vanek, Pommers, Miller, Roy, Goose. But only 2 of them really have an identity. I just think the Bruins proved last year what it takes to win in this league. Pure toughness.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Our identiy was supposed to be Vanek, Pommers, Miller, Roy, Goose. But only 2 of them really have an identity. I just think the Bruins proved last year what it takes to win in this league. Pure toughness.
And the best goaltending in the league.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:51 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
And the best goaltending in the league.
I know. I shouldn't of left that out. Man, I was watching the game from the year Peters, Mair, and Kaleta came out and beat the crap out of all the Sens best players. Heatley ran behind the ref to hide. . Peters went a round with Murray the goalie. Man what has happened to the toughness with this team? What does Lindy think it is gonna take to win in this league?

Old
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
I remember him saying this in a post game interview 2 or 3 years ago. It's always stuck out in my mind.
Yeah, this isn't the first time he's said something along these lines.

He's either senile or making excuses for his soft players. Not really an ideal situation either way.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Ruff sounds off >

It became merely an aside after the game, but Sabres coach Lindy Ruff wasn't happy with the call on Kaleta and let the Toronto media know.

"That was tough to figure out," Ruff said. "They had one player who carried the puck two strides. They had [Nazem] Kadri, who hit our player [Jordan] Leopold in the same fashion. There were calls there I couldn’t figure out. Kaleta just can’t hit anybody anymore. It’s just that he can’t. If he hits somebody, it’s a penalty. He knows that he can’t hit anymore.

"He’s a marked man, definitely a marked man. When Kadri can do what he did on Leopold, which is very similar, and Kaleta doesn’t leave his feet. I don't think he hit him that hard. It used to be a good hit in the game, and you get a penalty. I’m worried that he can't play his game."

Are you worried because the refs will not let him. Or you will not let him play his game Lindy?

Old
01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Ruff sounds off >

It became merely an aside after the game, but Sabres coach Lindy Ruff wasn't happy with the call on Kaleta and let the Toronto media know.

"That was tough to figure out," Ruff said. "They had one player who carried the puck two strides. They had [Nazem] Kadri, who hit our player [Jordan] Leopold in the same fashion. There were calls there I couldnít figure out. Kaleta just canít hit anybody anymore. Itís just that he canít. If he hits somebody, itís a penalty. He knows that he canít hit anymore.

"Heís a marked man, definitely a marked man. When Kadri can do what he did on Leopold, which is very similar, and Kaleta doesnít leave his feet. I don't think he hit him that hard. It used to be a good hit in the game, and you get a penalty. Iím worried that he can't play his game."

Are you worried because the refs will not let him. Or you will not let him play his game Lindy?
Total cop out by Ruff again. Blame the refs. Whine to the league. Blah blah blah.

I woulda made the team walk home last night.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
puckish66

Lindy always looks for some stupid little perceived advantage. He's famous for it in the playoffs.

Put Enroth out to take some shots the morning of the game against Winnipeg, so the Jets think Miller is playing, after telling the media he would be riding Miller for awhile. Then start Enroth.

Last night is just ref-baiting. He's looking for a call on Friday.

It shows a coach who has very little confidence in his abilities. Insecure is a word I used before the season to describe the hiring of inexperienced assistants. It fits here too.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Total cop out by Ruff again. Blame the refs. Whine to the league. Blah blah blah.

I woulda made the team walk home last night.