HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre-Marc Bouchard (Concussion symptoms)

Old
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Shanahan. All the unpunished dirty hits along the boards before Bouchard's essentially gave Bogo permission to make that play.
I'm still mad at the refs for not calling the earlier boarding where Zanon was roughed up. If that play is penalized, Bogo likely avoids hitting Butch like that.

However, Russo was mentioning that Butch was elbowed (incidentally) in the head on his last shift of the Vancouver game. Could be related.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/137103148.html

injury update.

Quote:
Pierre-Marc Bouchard this morning said it all started Dec. 13 in Winnipeg after Zach Bogosian checked him face-first into the boards.
Also in the article, PMB is practicing.

Wild48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Jax81

As an update, I don't believe PMB is practicing. He is not doing anything off the ice either. Just resting and getting work done on his neck.

Jax81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I attended a discussion this summer with Gary Bettman speaking. One fan asked him a question about "the concussion problem". Bettman seemed to brag about how far ahead the NHL was above the other sports on the knowlege and treatment of these injuries.

I remember thinking ... "Huh? Concussions are ruining the sport Gary!"

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
MNman

If/when a guy like PMB plays hockey again, should he wear a full caged helmet? and be required to wear a mouthguard?

Maybe Lats too after his 2nd this season....

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Butch does use a mouthguard and an M11 helmet, both designed to reduce likelihood of concussion.

But nothing will help from getting boarded brutally and illegally.

Cages are not allowed in the NHL for healthy players.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
If/when a guy like PMB plays hockey again, should he wear a full caged helmet? and be required to wear a mouthguard?

Maybe Lats too after his 2nd this season....
Do full cages offer more protection against concussions? Remember, a concussion is caused by the sudden acceleration of the head, so I dont think a cage would have made a difference in Bouchards case, it just would have dented the cage instead of breaking his nose when Bogo slapped him into the ledge.

And I think we need to have Kassian in the lineup when we play Winny at home later this year. Time for some *cracks knuckles and stretches neck* payback.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I attended a discussion this summer with Gary Bettman speaking. One fan asked him a question about "the concussion problem". Bettman seemed to brag about how far ahead the NHL was above the other sports on the knowlege and treatment of these injuries.

I remember thinking ... "Huh? Concussions are ruining the sport Gary!"
The NHL is way ahead of other sports, but that doesn't mean it does a fantastic job or anything. Just think, until last year, NFL players were able to return to the same football game after sustaining a concussion. That's to say, after a doctor diagnosed a player as having a concussion, he was still allowed to re-enter the game.

The NHL encourages the use of concussion reducing helmets and other gear. They're looking into the possibility of using different types of shoulder pads to reduce incidence. They've addressed headshots heavily (albeit inconsistently). They're testing various rule changes to reduce incidence.

The NHL has done a lot. A few weeks ago, a report came out showing that concussions this NHL season are down substantially over both last season, and a composite of the seasons since the lockout. Reporting on concussions has gone way up, and that's why it seems like they're more common when reality actually shows they're declining.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Do full cages offer more protection against concussions? Remember, a concussion is caused by the sudden acceleration of the head, so I dont think a cage would have made a difference in Bouchards case, it just would have dented the cage instead of breaking his nose when Bogo slapped him into the ledge.

And I think we need to have Kassian in the lineup when we play Winny at home later this year. Time for some *cracks knuckles and stretches neck* payback.
I remember hearing that the majority of concussions were a result of the lower jaw being jammed upward (teeth crunching against each other) and seeing PMB with the towel around his bleeding nose, I just think for a guy like him, every bit of equipment can help to some degree.

The cage and mouthguard can definitely protect against the jaw jamming aspect of hits, and protect some people from further damage....but then they couldn't fight

Old
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
forthewild

Quote:
I remember hearing that the majority of concussions were a result of the lower jaw being jammed upward (teeth crunching against each other) and seeing PMB with the towel around his bleeding nose, I just think for a guy like him, every bit of equipment can help to some degree.

The cage and mouthguard can definitely protect against the jaw jamming aspect of hits, and protect some people from further damage....but then they couldn't fight

you could just engineer a cage that has a detach button, you press it and it pops off leaving the helmet on and allowing a fight to take place.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
you could just engineer a cage that has a detach button, you press it and it pops off leaving the helmet on and allowing a fight to take place.

make it happen

Old
01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

There were theories that such things maybe the case, but research has shown otherwise.