HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help needed please.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:37 AM
incineratorz

vCash: 500
Help needed please.

Hi guys, quick story about myself.
23 yrs old 6,6 270 pounds

I have been sick for 4 years now. Was doing nothing but watching tv and eating fast good. Now I can finally exercice so I bought some skates cause i love hockey and i have a nice outdoor rink near me.

I bought some cheap bauers 22s at canadian tire.

Question 1 :

I can put a finger at the back of the skate when my toes are touching the front of the skate. Are my skates too tall ? I wear a 11 in shoes and I took a 10 for skates.

Question2 :

When i skate, it produces a "ice scraping" sound. What could cause that ?

I'm 6,6 270 pounds and out of shape. could it just be me just not lifting my skates enough ?

Question 3 :

I'm a beginner and I've been practising the hockey stop a lot these days. It just seems impossible to me.

I can stop with one foot by putting all my weight on my back foot and scraping the ice with my front foot but i just cant do both feet stop .

If i try i hurt myself by falling forward.

Really looking for some good advices ive watched like 10 vids and cant get it yet.

I dream of it damnit i'm not even practising anything else i want to do the effing hockey stop

So yeah my goal is to join a recreational league when i get back in shape.

Thx guys for the infos.

incineratorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
AIREAYE

1 : your skates are too big, when you have your heel in the back and are standing, your toes should feather the front of the toecap/barely touch it. The finger thing is for kids who still have to grow.

2 : no idea what you mean

3 : keep practising, skate as often as possible, take lessons

Good luck and have fun, welcome back on the ice!

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
beth

I agree your skates are too big.

If youre talking about the scraping sound that im thinking about, then it is uneven edges. You can check for this by laying a straightedge across your blade and eyeballing it.

If this is the case, get the sharpening fixed and put a shallow hollow on it while youre at it...it will help you learn to stop.

Practice standing and shaving the ice to get a feel for it. Then, when practicing stopping, dont actually try to stop - try to slide sideways instead. Its easier to stop when youre trying not to stop. It will keep you from digging in too much.

Last edited by beth: 01-09-2012 at 10:31 AM.
beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When are the skates scraping? At what part of the stride?

I'd also recommend wearing lots of padding and a helmet when you're learning to skate. Just to be safe. Especially at 6'6...that's a long way to fall!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I think your skates might be a little big. I wear an 11 or 11.5 in shoes and I have a 9.5 in skates.

As far as not stopping on both feet, you'll get it soon enough with practice. Although it is not something you really need. I can do it, but almost never use it in games. I find it more effective to stop only using 1 foot.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
ArrogantOwl

The scraping sound could be you digging in hard to the ice or dragging the toe of your skate during a stride.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
incineratorz

Thx a lot guys.
I was kinda in a hurry when i bought them + they are cheap so no big deal i will know for the next time.

As for the scraping sound, arrogantowl got it.. i think im dragging the toe of my skates during a stride. Any tips for fixing this ?

ty very much guys

incineratorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incineratorz View Post
Thx a lot guys.
I was kinda in a hurry when i bought them + they are cheap so no big deal i will know for the next time.

As for the scraping sound, arrogantowl got it.. i think im dragging the toe of my skates during a stride. Any tips for fixing this ?

ty very much guys
Most people who drag push back when they skate. Try pushing more to the side. It will take more effort, but you will go much faster and it may be easier to get your foot off the ground after each stride.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

An awesome video that's worth the $10 or so is Robby Glantz volume 1. Demonstrates very well what you should do during your stride. I found it online as an instant purchase/download but can't remember where, so if you look around you can probably buy it cheap.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote