HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dan da Silva

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Jungle Boy

vCash: 500
Dan da Silva

Any info on this guy? he plays for Portland Winter Hawks (WHL), had nice numbers last year. And his last name indicates that his family is from Brazil (home boy!).

Old
10-06-2004, 10:06 AM
leafaholix*

Kind of OT, but...

RAFAEL ARAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUJO!

Old
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Jungle Boy

Thatīs a brazilian name too, but I got no idea who is he.

Old
10-06-2004, 10:34 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
Thatīs a brazilian name too, but I got no idea who is he.
The 8th pick in the NBA draft (2004). Toronto Raptors player.

Old
10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Jungle Boy

My bad. thatīs because we know most of the players here by their nick names

Hilário = Nenę

I had a friend, she was an exchange student from Toronto (Danielle MacIsaac), She just couldnīt say Araújo, she was cool

Old
10-06-2004, 06:24 PM
TheFranchise83

I know the family. I played with both him and his brother (Steve plays for Kootenay I think) He's definatly not Brazilian, his dad might come from the descent but his parents definatly aren't 1st generation immigrants to Canada. From what I hear he's entering the draft this year.

Old
10-06-2004, 11:47 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
He could be of Portuguese descent much like the Mike "I'm a faker/diver/crybaby/actor" Ribeiro. Da Silva is a portuguese name as well.

Old
10-07-2004, 04:54 AM
therobman27

Dan has a nack for scoring goals, but overall needs to work on a lot the other parts of his game. He is the type of player where u wont notice him until he gets the puck near the net and buries it. Not a great skater, but surely is not terrible. I really dont think his game would translate into being much of a pro prospect as he is not good enough offensively to make it like that, and no other aspect of his game is overwelming strong. Overall, good WHL player, but not a great prospect.

Old
10-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
He could be of Portuguese descent much like the Mike "I'm a faker/diver/crybaby/actor" Ribeiro. Da Silva is a portuguese name as well.
You are right about Ribeiro (quite common here in Brazil) but not about da Silva, this last name was created here in Brazil, Iīm pretty sure that his fatherīs family is from Brazil

Old
10-07-2004, 03:07 PM
rebedom

Quote:
Any info on this guy? he plays for Portland Winter Hawks (WHL), had nice numbers last year. And his last name indicates that his family is from Brazil (home boy!).
Or Portugal / Azores? Mike Rebiro and Steve Martins are both Portuguese decent and growing up I knew quite a few Portuguese da Silvas. Brazil was also first inhabited by the Portuguese and there are a lot of da Silvas there as well.

Old
10-07-2004, 07:11 PM
TJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebedom
Or Portugal / Azores? Mike Rebiro and Steve Martins are both Portuguese decent and growing up I knew quite a few Portuguese da Silvas. Brazil was also first inhabited by the Portuguese and there are a lot of da Silvas there as well.
Yup, I was just gonna say that, I'm portuguese and I'm related to quite a few Da Silva's.

Old
10-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Prior to Da Silva's DUB years I remember watching him play 'AAA' Midget for the Saskatoon Contacts and I thought he was alright but far from the best. Byron Bitz (Was in Nanaimo of BCHL, now on scholarship to one of the Boston Universities) was still there that year if memory serves correct and Cory Grant (Not Sure) was the tender. Other players included Blake Comeau (Kelowna), Tanner Shultz (recently traded from Stoon), Jesse Fischer (Kindersley, Sask. Jr. A), Steven Gihlen (Spokane) and a handful of other decent prospects.

Da Silva is average on most accounts with mild upside but he should enjoy a solid WHL career and then disappear.

Old
10-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebedom
OK. da Silva is a brazilian last name and I will tell why itīs not a portuguese one.
da Silva = da (de + a) selva, translation => from (de) the (a) jungle (selva) this lastname was given for the children that catholics men (landlords or people with status) had with indians or slayers. It was a shame for them, at the time, to be with an african or an indian and the catholic church didnīt aproove it, so the fathers wouldnīt give the children his last name and for the records some last name was created such as: da Silva, de Jesus (from Jesus), dos Santos (from the Saints), de Deus (from god)... I hope I made myself clear

Old
10-08-2004, 04:47 PM
TJF

Quote:
OK. da Silva is a brazilian last name and I will tell why itīs not a portuguese one.
da Silva = da (de + a) selva, translation => from (de) the (a) jungle (selva) this lastname was given for the children that catholics men (landlords or people with status) had with indians or slayers. It was a shame for them, at the time, to be with an african or an indian and the catholic church didnīt aproove it, so the fathers wouldnīt give the children his last name and for the records some last name was created such as: da Silva, de Jesus (from Jesus), dos Santos (from the Saints), de Deus (from god)... I hope I made myself clear

LOUD AND CLEAR but...

No one is denying the fact that Da Silva is a Brazlian last name, it is, I know it is but at the sametime it's a Portuguese last name as well. I have cousin's who are portuguese and have the last name Da Silva and as for the examples you used to prove your point it doesn't work either, my mom's maiden name who is 100% portuguese was De Jesus.

I don't know if you have some fetish with Brazlain hockey players but there's as good of a chance that Dan Da Silva is Portuguese.

Why do you think I checked what this theard was about in the first place, normally if I see a theard titled with a player I've never heard of before I just wouldn't open it up. But when I saw the name da Silva, I figured it was some portuguese hockey player and wanted to see if he was any good. Just like when you first saw the name da Silva you figured it was Brazlain but there's quite of good number of Portuguese born/descent people with that last name as well.

Last edited by TJF: 10-08-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old
10-08-2004, 05:04 PM
nazzy

I can also confirm that Da Silva can be a Portugese last name as well. I have a friend here who has the last name and is not Brazilian but Portugese.

Old
10-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Jungle Boy

Iīm not arguing here I was just explaining, and I donīt have fetiche with other men and de Jesus was a bad example.
For now I know what I wanted to know, he is protuguese and/or brazilian descedent and wonīt play in the NHL

Old
10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
If Richie Regier plays will he be the first Indonesian (yeah, I know because of missionaries but still) player ever?

Closed Thread