HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit, SM-Liiga (2012, 18th overall, Chicago)

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
can anyone give me an idea of what this guy is all about, just saw him high in the future consideration top 30, hence I am curious about him as that caught me off guard and obviously i have never seen him play.
I can give it a try.

He's a smallish forward (Center or wing) with good wheels and fast first step and agility. His stride has been commented as very smooth and efficient, but he's still scrawny and will require a lot more strength in his legs to get everything out of him when it comes to movement. He's got good hands which he uses efficiently to keep the puck in his possession. He doesn't really use his stickhandling to dangle around opponents that often, rather to keep possession in traffic. He has a fast and accurate, while not a very heavy wrist shot. He's more of a playmaker, but possesses good scoring instincts, and has scored quite a few times this season just by being in the correct place at the correct time. What stands out the most IMO is his decision making and hockey smarts. He seems very mature with the puck, and even with a skinny frame (5'11'' 165lbs) he can play an efficient game around players that are much stronger than him.

He's been rising pretty quickly, and no wonder as he broke into a tough Jokerit lineup and for example is now playing in the 2nd line while his teammate Teemu Pulkkinen is a healthy scratch.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Who does he compare to?

Old
04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Who does he compare to?
Valtteri Filppula. But if he reaches his full potential he is prolly going to be more of a scorer than Filppula.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:06 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Valtteri Filppula. But if he reaches his full potential he is prolly going to be more of a scorer than Filppula.
Thanks

Old
04-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I can give it a try.

He's a smallish forward (Center or wing) with good wheels and fast first step and agility. His stride has been commented as very smooth and efficient, but he's still scrawny and will require a lot more strength in his legs to get everything out of him when it comes to movement. He's got good hands which he uses efficiently to keep the puck in his possession. He doesn't really use his stickhandling to dangle around opponents that often, rather to keep possession in traffic. He has a fast and accurate, while not a very heavy wrist shot. He's more of a playmaker, but possesses good scoring instincts, and has scored quite a few times this season just by being in the correct place at the correct time. What stands out the most IMO is his decision making and hockey smarts. He seems very mature with the puck, and even with a skinny frame (5'11'' 165lbs) he can play an efficient game around players that are much stronger than him.

He's been rising pretty quickly, and no wonder as he broke into a tough Jokerit lineup and for example is now playing in the 2nd line while his teammate Teemu Pulkkinen is a healthy scratch.
Barely healthy scratch. Though even if Pulkkinen wa healthy and in form, they'd both be in the lineup.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:49 AM
gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Yes I understand why people do it, I just feel like the comparison doesn't end up being correct or close when the prospect develops. To each his own.
For me comparisons work well. I get lot more information from comparison than I would get from normal "HF boards" lenght description of a player. But it's true that compairing prospect to only one player usually wont give the exact picture of a prospect. When using two or more players that problem can be overcome. I like comparisons like "his body type and skating reminds of Malkin, but the type of game he plays reminds of Cal Clutterbuck".

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I can give it a try.

Very good analysis. Teuvo is very light on his skates. When he makes turns and spins it looks like he's dancing on the ice. I would like to see him like that in the future, but when he builds more muscle it will make his skating bit more "heavier".

His stickhandling is fun to watch. He makes backhand - forehand move back and forth all the time he has the puck. Maybe his floorball backround is playing a part for that maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Patrick Kane like body and skating. His stickhandling is also Kane like, but not that skilled. Vision / hockey IQ maybe Filppula like.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:02 PM
ChoseLa

Would a less physical S. Koivu be a good comparaison?

Old
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Would a less physical S. Koivu be a good comparaison?
I don't really see that comparison, I see the less physical part but I dont really see Koivu in Teuvo, except the vision.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Basicly the next Scott Gomez. The good one hopefully.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Leehh

Already 1+1 today, second period going.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Already 1+1 today, second period going.
Doesn't look like he wants to play at the U-18 WJC...

Old
04-07-2012, 11:01 AM
gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Doesn't look like he wants to play at the U-18 WJC...
Now that he is playing center he is able to show his playmaking skills and vision better than on the wing. I must say I am impressed.

It made me think what separates Teuvo and S.Koivu. I think one thing that separetes them is how long time they hold the puck. S. Koivu is traditional center who likes to have the puck for long periods of time. Teuvo doesn't hold the puck that much. He makes passes pretty soon or shoots the puck if he has opportunity.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Needles

TT is playing much better than Granlund in his first post-season.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Jokerit lost and are 0-3 down. Teräväinen one game away from the U-18 WJC.

Old
04-07-2012, 02:53 PM
ChadS

My guess is he'll be Jokerit's 2nd line center next season. He looked very good tonight, those saucer passes are sick and he just flies through the neutral zone.

Old
04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Very intriguing player...

Old
04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
My guess is he'll be Jokerit's 2nd line center next season. He looked very good tonight, those saucer passes are sick and he just flies through the neutral zone.
Esko Seppänen from Urheilulehti (yeah, I know, he's a bit of a hit and miss) thinks that Teräväinen is penciled in as the #2 center for Jokerit next season and the primary reason why Kekäläinen stopped pursuing Stephen Dixon from Ässät.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

My feeling is that the Canes or Wild will take him. Both have a lot of Finnish players who are important parts of their future.

Is he considered a better prospect than Granlund at this point?

Last edited by Jesus Christ Horburn: 04-07-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

So is there a good chance the 'Canes take him at 8th overall, if he even gets that far?

Old
04-08-2012, 12:41 AM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Oh boy, another Finn dishing out saucer passes... Someone sticky this thread right now

Old
04-08-2012, 04:46 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
My feeling is that the Canes or Wild will take him. Both have a lot of Finnish players who are important parts of their future.

No, granlund was way more effective in the offensive zone even with his way worser linemates. Granlund was more physical aswell. Teräväinen is as smart player as granlund, with better skating. His vision isn't as good but it's not far away from Granlund. Teräväinen is obviously better passer i don't mean the vision but the quality of his passes are insane which make his linemates game alot easier. I think that Teräväinen isn't as good as Granlund at his draft year but his developement have been faster. Teräväinen is also late born which make it difficult to compare. 6 months of developement is alot for 17 year old players.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
No, granlund was way more effective in the offensive zone even with his way worser linemates. Granlund was more physical aswell. Teräväinen is as smart player as granlund, with better skating. His vision isn't as good but it's not far away from Granlund. Teräväinen is obviously better passer i don't mean the vision but the quality of his passes are insane which make his linemates game alot easier. I think that Teräväinen isn't as good as Granlund at his draft year but his developement have been faster. Teräväinen is also late born which make it difficult to compare. 6 months of developement is alot for 17 year old players.
Well, you can't get assists if your linemates don't score. So it's kinda hard to compare their linemates. Teravainen might not try to run over everyone but he uses hes stick pretty well and wins quite a few corner battles because he plays smart game. I think i haven't seen anyone this year even trying to check him, always when someone does try it he abuses it and throws world class pass and hes linemate get's that 1 on 1 against goalie. Teravainen's positioning is above any kid of hes age, last game he was wide open two or three times but the pass never came for him.

Also if someone would ask me to explain term keep your head up i would tell him to go watch Teravainen or show him videos of him playing.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

I personally think that Teravainen has more potential than Granlund because of hes skating ( it's so smooth and natural that dman doesn't hear when hes positioning himself ), ability to get open, that quick accurate release and the way he can hide hes shot.

All these i mentioned are things you born with you kinda can't train them.

Guys who skate like Teravainen does tend to have longer careers ( Selanne is perfect example of a guy who is natural skater )

Highlights of yesterdays game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMWP59r0ps4

Last edited by Leehh: 04-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old
04-08-2012, 10:22 AM
FinProspects

I´ve seen about 10 games from Teuvo this season, and it is just plain obvious, that this guy is a Valtteri Filppula-clone. Teuvo is now 17 and is playing in Sm-liiga playoffs, Valtteri at 17 played in A-juniors in a 3rd center role. The year after that Valtteri had his breakthrough season in A-juniors. He probably would have played in any other Sm-liiga team at the time, but Jokerit was sssstacked.

But dont let Valtteri´s "slow" development fool you. I think Jokerit had a clear vision what they wanted to do with Valtteri at the time. His two-way game was developed first in A-juniors, then in Sm-liiga. When he arrived to AHL, he was pretty good overall player already.

Teuvo´s offensive potential could be better than Valtteri´s, but I do think Valtteri´s overall play is something that cannot be reached very easily.

The most impressive thing for both players is their understanding for the game. They are not the flashiest players on the ice, but they always seem to make the right decisions.

Teuvo´s weakenss seems to be his weak shot, and he is a perimeter player who could have troubles in NA rink. But his offensive instincts make him a lock for 2nd round, maybe even late 1st round.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:34 AM
SittingDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
I´ve seen about 10 games from Teuvo this season, and it is just plain obvious, that this guy is a Valtteri Filppula-clone. Teuvo is now 17 and is playing in Sm-liiga playoffs, Valtteri at 17 played in A-juniors in a 3rd center role. The year after that Valtteri had his breakthrough season in A-juniors. He probably would have played in any other Sm-liiga team at the time, but Jokerit was sssstacked.

But dont let Valtteri´s "slow" development fool you. I think Jokerit had a clear vision what they wanted to do with Valtteri at the time. His two-way game was developed first in A-juniors, then in Sm-liiga. When he arrived to AHL, he was pretty good overall player already.

Teuvo´s offensive potential could be better than Valtteri´s, but I do think Valtteri´s overall play is something that cannot be reached very easily.

The most impressive thing for both players is their understanding for the game. They are not the flashiest players on the ice, but they always seem to make the right decisions.

Teuvo´s weakenss seems to be his weak shot, and he is a perimeter player who could have troubles in NA rink. But his offensive instincts make him a lock for 2nd round, maybe even late 1st round.
Have you been living under a rock or something? People are talking if he is going to be a top 10 pick. Theres no way he drops to the 2nd round.

Closed Thread