HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Making scouting a career

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Buffalo

vCash: 500
Making scouting a career

Hi,
Im interested in making scouting a career. Im currently in College, not as a player, but as a fan, and desire to put hockey in a career. Would anyone either as a scout, former, or would know where I could contact, (im living in North Carolina if that helps) or just somewhere to start?

Thanks
Mark

Old
10-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
From what I have been told. Many teams have internship scouting programs. I would call the Canes front office and see if they have one.

Old
10-09-2004, 12:13 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo
Hi,
Im interested in making scouting a career. Im currently in College, not as a player, but as a fan, and desire to put hockey in a career. Would anyone either as a scout, former, or would know where I could contact, (im living in North Carolina if that helps) or just somewhere to start?

Thanks
Mark
https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/

maybe?

Old
10-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
That site has nothing to do with scouting but becoming a sports agent.

Old
10-12-2004, 08:00 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo
Hi,

Thanks
Mark
All you need to know.

http://www.scouting.org/

Old
10-12-2004, 10:56 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
All you need to know.

http://www.scouting.org/
as funny as that was... that was also mean to lead someone on and get their hopes up like that.

Old
10-12-2004, 10:59 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
That site has nothing to do with scouting but becoming a sports agent.
if you got some - education - combined with some practical experience - you could improve your chances of reaching your goal -

Old
10-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Atlas

Start your own independent scouting business. Find an area that you can scout as many teams as possible say maybe around London, Ontario or some OHL hotbed. Rank as many players as you can with a paragraph or so describing their play.

Put up a website with all or some of this info (everyone here would give it a looksee). And if the teams are interested in your work they'll pay for your service or hire you. If you were to pick out a Marian Hossa kind of player and warn against a Daniel Tkachuk kind of player your reputation would skyrocket. And, of course, you'd be networking with the scouts who are there eating hot dogs and drinking beer all night. And developing a reputation will take years.

I doubt it's as romantic as you think. Just the travel and the driving in awful weather beats most people. But if you love hockey that much I say go for it and good luck!

Old
10-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
From what I've seen, scouts are mainly hired by who they know, rather than what they know. You need to get your foot in the door and make lots of contacts. If an internship program is available with any club, take it, whether it's the NHL, ECHL, CHL etc.. If you're not a former player or coach at the NHL level, it's extremely remote that you'll become an NHL scout until you prove yourself at the lower levels.

I'd also suggest you contact our affiliate, ISS (International Scouting Services) for information;
http://www.internationalscouting.com/contact.htm

Old
10-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
if you got some - education - combined with some practical experience - you could improve your chances of reaching your goal -
I don't see how educating yourself about becoming a sports agent would help you in obtaining a scouting position?

Closed Thread