HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shane Doan to NYR

Old
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
HankIsTheKing30

vCash: 500
wouldnt trade a bag of potato chips for Doan....slow, old and a 15 game rental.....there is not 1 ranger forward i want to see them bench in favor of him....Its not like he has all this playoff experience over the course of his career......

HankIsTheKing30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I hate giving the man any credit. I really do. I'm not a Sather apologist nor am I a supporter of his in any way shape or form. However, your posts scream of agenda. He gets no credit for when a positive move is made, but **** on when signing a player doesn't pan out? That's not fair.

Again, I'm not happy giving him credit, but SATHER is the one that hired the scouts. SATHER is the one that chose Torts. Could have easily gone in another direction.

However, and I'm not trying to crap on Phoenix as I like the franchise, I just think it's dumb for any team to give any player that is 35 years old or older a multi year deal. The cap hit stick with them until the term is up.

The Flyers were dumb for giving Pronger a 7 year deal at 35 as well.

As for the bolded part. HUH?

Sather was not here when the Rangers had Messier, Buekeboom, Lowe, Tikinen, Anderson.

We had no former Oilers here when Sather took over in June 2000. He signed Messier that summer

Again, you have some good points, but overall your post indicated an underlying agenda and as such your credibility is questioned in my opinion.
Sather is a good GM. He would be an absolute idiot if he didn't use his competitive advantage (Financial resources) to his advantage. Now that he's developing his own talent pool instead of almost exclusively relying on UFA talent the Rangers are looking like a borderline elite franchise. Of course having Lundqvist in goal helps a great deal but their defensive corps is underrated IMO and Torts right now is the leading candidate for Coach of the Year. Hats off to the Ranger organization. Question really now is are they going to make a run and how are they going to beat the Bruins? What pieces do they need to add and what of their future are they willing to sacrifice? I believe Sather and his staff are willing to do something this season for a run at the Cup.

As for Phoenix. Maloney's competitive advantage is cap space. The franchise will have a hard time making the floor minimum so offering the extra years and losing years of hard cap space actually helps the franchise and is of very little risk to the organization. Doan is going to get term and cash if he stays with the franchise.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Exactly. Miroslav Satan? Really?

Korpikoski is better than Lisin, but he's still a marginal player. 40 points last season and on pace for 34 this season. Oh the horror.

So much grasping at straws in this thread
Not interested in whatever Sather debate you're engaged in but you're grasping at straws trying desperately to downplay the difference between a top six player and.. 0. Zero. Nothing. You'd get more credibility if you just acknowledged that was a clear win for Maloney.

As for whether Doan will be overpaid, when he signed this contract most regarded as it underpayment. If he gets paid for being loyal to the club over 1000+ games, he deserves it, certainly far more than most players the Rangers have ladled the dollars out to.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Not to make this into two Phoenix fans disputing about what Vancouver might be willing to move for Doan (I think it would take more than Jensen) but Vancouver would be another team that I believe Doan would have on his list of potential teams he would accept a trade to. I think he would add an element of grit that would help the Canucks against teams like Chicago and especially Boston.
I don't know that Doan would even be willing to go to Chicago, Detroit or any of the eastern conference teams. Not that Vancouver has to know about that. The Canucks may have been a Shane Doan away from a championship last summer.

01-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankIsTheKing30 View Post
wouldnt trade a bag of potato chips for Doan....slow, old and a 15 game rental.....there is not 1 ranger forward i want to see them bench in favor of him....Its not like he has all this playoff experience over the course of his career......
I cant even laugh hard enough regarding the post above.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't know that Doan would even be willing to go to Chicago, Detroit or any of the eastern conference teams. Not that Vancouver has to know about that. The Canucks may have been a Shane Doan away from a championship last summer.
Doan was an animal in the first round last year. I think Chicago, Detroit, SJ, and Vancouver were all a Shane Doan away from the Cup.

GeoSacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Sather sent the 9th overall pick and parts for a former all-star with knee issues who was a year away from a forced retirement. If the pick had panned out there's an argument that the Rangers paid a handsome premium on that deal.
Ok, but did it?

And a handsome premium from a guy that was just removed from back to back near 60 goal seasons?

You've got to be kidding.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:35 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Ok, but did it?

And a handsome premium from a guy that was just removed from back to back near 60 goal seasons?

You've got to be kidding.
Do you think it was a secret that his knee was in very rough shape and that he was likely retiring at season's end?

Old
01-13-2012, 05:21 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Do you think it was a secret that his knee was in very rough shape and that he was likely retiring at season's end?
he didn't retire at the end of the season we got him.

Bure scored 31 goals in 50 games he played for the Rangers.

He retired the following season after the Rangers got him

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:27 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I cant even laugh hard enough regarding the post above.
I agree with you here.

I would love to have Shane Doan on the Rangers. Just needs to be at the right price and seeing some of the back and forth between Rangers fans and Yotes fans, we just happen to see his value from different angles.

The Yotes have a franchise guy that they feel they would need to be overpaid to move.

I and some other Rangers fans see an older declining UFA to be player that still has something to offer a PO Team.

Would not offer up Kreider or a 1st in a package for him, but Thomas and a 2nd is a deal I would do (alot more than a bag of Chips)

If it doesn't happen, I as well as the Majority of Yotes fans are going to be OK with that too.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Someone is bringing up a trade from 10 years ago. That's the last time Sather gave up a 1st round pick. It wasn't for a rental. Sather didn't pay a premium for Bure. The 2002 draft was one of the worst drafts ever going in and it turned out that way.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Kaibur

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ough-decisions

New York-based rumors this week had Shane Doan possibly on the move with the Rangers a team that would covet him. Well, the Rangers do like him, but he’s not available at this point. "No truth in that whatsoever," Coyotes GM Don Maloney responded via email when asked about those Doan trade rumors. The Coyotes captain is slated to be an UFA July 1.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ough-decisions

New York-based rumors this week had Shane Doan possibly on the move with the Rangers a team that would covet him. Well, the Rangers do like him, but hes not available at this point. "No truth in that whatsoever," Coyotes GM Don Maloney responded via email when asked about those Doan trade rumors. The Coyotes captain is slated to be an UFA July 1.
I'm not going to suggest that Doan is available, but what else would you expect Maloney to say?

01-13-2012, 10:40 AM
ThisYearsModel

I will pass on Doan. His reputation exceeds his results, IMO. I think he will get moved if he is willing to go as a rental.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankIsTheKing30 View Post
As a fan of a division rival, my jaw is hanging open at that statement.

It's fine if you don't want him, but if he were available -- which I doubt -- the line of suitors would be around the block. He is exactly the type of rental playoff teams covet.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
As a fan of a division rival, my jaw is hanging open at that statement.

It's fine if you don't want him, but if he were available -- which I doubt -- the line of suitors would be around the block. He is exactly the type of rental playoff teams covet.
He would be, by far, the biggest game changer moved at the deadline.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not going to suggest that Doan is available, but what else would you expect Maloney to say?
Maloney is quite possibly the most open, honest and straightforward GM in the business. There has not been one time where he said one thing and did the exact opposite. If he wants to play something close to the vest he'll say "No comment." Otherwise, if he says it, you can take it to the bank.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:36 PM
DesertDawg

I still believe that relocation is the factor if Doan will waive his NMC and not if the Coyotes miss the playoffs. And Vancouver would be the most likely destination as long as they entice the Coyotes with a decent proposal (it's not like the Coyotes need to trade Doan after all) and with the intention of resigning him (so a conditional pick is likely included)

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
He would be, by far, the biggest game changer moved at the deadline.
Selanne/Getzlaf/Ryan say hello.

One of those 3 get moved by the deadline.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Do you think it was a secret that the 2002 draft was going to suck more than Two And A Half Men post-Sheen?

Also, Bure retired after the 03-04 season. Even with that being the case, I'll still gladly take 50 games of Bure over the flaming pile of ******* we gave up for him.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Do you think it was a secret that the 2002 draft was going to suck more than Two And A Half Men post-Sheen?

Also, Bure retired after the 03-04 season. Even with that being the case, I'll still gladly take 50 games of Bure over the flaming pile of ******* we gave up for him.
Rangers won the trade no question. Yes, the 2002 draft was very weak. That being said, it's still a top 10 pick and that selection could have easily been Semin instead of Taticek. Had it been the former instead of the latter the view of the deal might be a little different.

Regardless... the thread is about Doan and the willingness potentially of the Rangers to pay a premium to acquire his services. My opinion remains that there is a strong connection to the Phoenix franchise amongst the decision makers in New York and they may be willing to pay this premium to acquire his services.

Actually the willingness of Doan to go to New York is more of an issue than the willingness of the Rangers to pay that premium.