HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 - Montreal Impact - 2012 MLS Entry Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

vCash: 500
2011 - Montreal Impact - 2012 MLS Entry Season Thread

So I saw there was an Alouettes sticky for their 2011 season.
Nothing for the Impact?

Obviously they've had a pretty poor NASL season so far, but I think the team added interesting players in Ryan Pore, Cameron Knowles and Sinisa Ubiparisomething (four years with the New York Red Bulls). Lots of exciting news to come too!

Rumours of Patrice Bernier coming here too.

- Unveiling of the MLS logo this Saturday during the game (anyone going?)
- Followed by the Adidas kits around October (per TSN)
- Expansion Draft
- 2012 MLS SuperDraft (1st pick overall)
- Expansion of Saputo Stadium
- Designated Players?
- More ultras group

Anybody looking forward to all these announcements? Maybe new sponsors? An English local TV deal? Glad all games will be on HD next year!

Still lots to do though..

Maybe have this as a sticky?

Last edited by MontrealSF: 08-03-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Would be a good ideal to sticky it
Old
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Woland

sources have told me that the major marketing push will start next Monday after the unveiling of the new logo.( I will be there, section 114 obviously) The Impact have turned to Sid Lee in order to re-brand the club and prepare the intro in to the MLS. The announcement of Sid Lee was fantastic news as they have very high quality work in their portfolio.

The negative remains the presence of Nick DeSantis in his role as Technical Dictator , which he gained through his personal relations with Joey rather than competences or proven qualities.....

Nevertheless , I hope that the DeSantis era will be short lived within the long term (hopefully glorious )history of the Impact.

Anyone have season tickets yet? I ahve mine, the 114 will be moving which is a good thing in terms of security and accessibility

FYI. If the Ultras Movement is not your thing but you want to join a supporters group visit http://www.facebook.com/127Montreal?ref=ts

Old
08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

127 is a new group?
What's different from the Ultras 02? And will they still be behind the net?

Old
08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

As a graphic designer, I love Sid Lee.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

looking forward to the impact joining mls. i grew up a chicago fan but went to mcgill and caught a few impact games while i was up there. i'm looking to go back to mcgill and looking forward to catching more impact games. i love the stade saputo.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Woland

Yes, they are a new group. They have the support of the UM02 but both have different visions. They will also be in a different section but both groups will obviously work together in supporting the club.
here is their message board.
http://is11.info/217/

Old
08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
pine*

Pros and cons for each group?

Lol.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Woland

FYI. Sid Lee were behind this legendary add

Old
08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Wow, good job by the Impact to go with Sid Lee. They'll work wonders for their image.

Can't wait to see their logo and jersey. As much as I liked the colours, most of the Impact's jerseys since they were founded looked cheap to me. Adidas will be a great look for the team, they usually make pretty classy kits. I'll most definitely get the new jersey, at least as long as it's not too funky; not too worried about that though.

What's the 2012 draft looking like?

Old
08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Woland

guys, the logo has leaked !!!!!!!!!!!

scroll down

Old
08-03-2011, 08:27 PM
pine*

Looks liek something Doug McKenzie would do

Old
08-03-2011, 08:37 PM
neofury*

I know nothing about soccer. How good are MLS players when compared to like... players who play at the world cup or in those FIFA games

Give me hockey terms here. Like NHL vs AHL, NHL vs the Q, etc.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:44 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

It's hard to say honestly, because it works by divisions, like a pyramid, with the top obviously being the top division in the country.

Thing is, soccer can be settled on a one-goal game. A top team in second division has as much chances to beat a lower first division team. I would say and think the Impact is moving from the AHL to the NHL.

Major League Soccer is a top 5 league team in North America and the Impact will be broadcasted on ESPN, ESPN2, FOX Soccer (+ TSN, RDS and TVA Sports) and other major networks, something the Alouettes - who I love - could only dream of.

The MLS is getting better and better, sound financially, and could eventually be Montreal's favourite summer sport. Just wait until you see Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia and DC United fanbase... plus the long-going rivalries with Toronto and Vancouver.

David Beckham, Landon Donovan, Thierry Henry, Freddy Montero... that's major internationaly, and in your stadium in March.

Can't wait!

Old
08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Woland

Well they are Juniors if you compare them to the top clubs of the Big Euro/South American teams. But that is a very distorted way of looking at things because the player market is pretty much out of control right now. The MLS has a salary cap which limits the growth of certain teams like LA Galaxy and NYRB, but insures the stability of the league.

The reality is that each country has a league and the MLS will soon be able to rival with teams from smaller leagues such as Scandinavian Countries, Eastern Euro, and others such as Belgium, Swiss, Dutch,Asian, Australia etc etc.

Look at things this way. Yes, the best Mexican team is still beating the best MLS team , but as the last CONCACAF Champions League final showed, it was not as easy for them as it would have been a few years ago .....

Old
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I can't wait for next year, at least there will be some sport to watch in this city, now if only the Expos can come back it would be perfect

Old
08-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Great Thread!

Old
08-03-2011, 09:48 PM
MoonlightGraham

I can't wait for next year. It's a shame the new stadium won't be ready until the summer though...

Old
08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I know nothing about soccer. How good are MLS players when compared to like... players who play at the world cup or in those FIFA games

Give me hockey terms here. Like NHL vs AHL, NHL vs the Q, etc.
I'll give it a try.

I see the MLS in a similar way as the KHL. Since it's a fairly new league compared to the european leagues' respective histories, the top players tend to remain in the bigger and more established leagues, but the MLS is able to bring stars in the twilight of their careers (Beckham, Henry) and keep domestic players who could probably find work in Europe (Donovan, De Rosario, Montero).

The level of play is obviously not up to par with big leagues like the British Premiership, the Spanish Liga or the Italian Calcio, but the best MLS teams could most likely compete with lower-ranked teams (think the Zurich Lions beating the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2009 Victoria Cup).

Last edited by Turtleneck Plek: 08-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old
08-03-2011, 10:04 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

But what a better way to get new fans and "returning customers" than have 55,000 people in the Big O for the first few games of the season?

The first game at the new Saputo Stadium will be extraordinary I think.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Woland

55 000 for the first game maybe, but I doubt their will be as many for the 2nd game .....Although that would be insane.

The KHL comparison was very fair IMO

Old
08-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Gary320

The fact that they have a TV Deal for all the games, has gotten me psyched for the season to start.

Old
08-03-2011, 11:11 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Anybody watching Los Angeles versus Portland on TSN2 ? You gotta see that crowd! I've got shivers!!!

Old
08-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Anyone know if stade Saputo could be expanded even further a few years down the road if the organization is successful?

Old
08-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Who's got the TV deal (channel wise)?

I really think that the Impact could easily be one of the biggest clubs in MLS, right off the bat. Similar to how Portland has done this season.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:17 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I'm optimistic for the logo, the jersey and the stadium. I'm much less optimistic about team management, performance and the quality of the crowd.

Let's not kid ourselves, the club will do a complete overhaul of its marketing strategy to finally try yo appeal the 18-35 crowd instead of giving away tickets to soccer moms. I hope people will to the stadium and be loud.

As for team management, I hate De Santis way more than I've ever hated Réjean Houle. He's a gigantic piece of feces and I hope he's canned right when the NASL season ends.

Closed Thread