HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade your Buffalo Sabres owner

Old
01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
But we should never allow an insufficient sample size to deter a bitter and angry fan base from posing questions designed to allow them a chance to vent that overflowing bitterness and seething anger.
Yessir. Just putting my two cents in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
He still has time to rectify the situation, so it's not a complete loss yet. Perhaps he wanted this season to evaluate everything with Big Daddy Ted. If that was the idea, I have no problem with that. However, if things remain the same heading into next season, then I'll be upset.
Exactly how I feel, Myllz. Buy the team and scope it out from the inside and make educated decisions after you've watched for a season.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Like what?

Listen I'm not trying to be a dick here but what exactly has he done? We weren't in jeopardy of losing the team so its not like he saved them, or brought them back after a move.

He's spent a **** load of his money and has gotten absolutely no results. The free programs are neat to look at, its nice knowing we have a fan boy owner that isn't going to lose the team, but other than that what other positives are there? A new locker room, whining and dining free agents? Throwing out ass loads of cash to players mostly undeserving of such money. He completely re-did a locker room that is not deserved by anyone I dunno.

From day 1 he put all his faith and trust into 3 men. Ted Black, Darcy Regier, and Lindy Ruff. I like Ted Black a lot, but the other 2 are in charge of whats most important. They haven't gotten it right for 13 years and when he endorsed them from his very first press conference I knew we were in trouble.

Terry Pegula should be judged based on what hard decisions he makes and how long it takes him to make them. As of right now, he bought the team, spent money and we're sitting well outside a playoff spot. He extended Ruff, and he kept Regier on because he's a fan and because thats what "Credible Hockey people" told him to do.

You can't grade an owner in their 1st year of ownership. Yea it looks great that he dumped a crap load of money but without getting results IMO he is absolutely no different than any other owner in history. I don't care about the luxuries... the team could change in a shed under the 290 for all I care, just bring us a ****ing cup. His goal was 3 years or less, that goal looks FAR from a possibility right now.
I think the reason he did all the.improovements is because having nice facilities helps attract guys they couldn't get before like a brad Richards. The ehrhoff signing shows that they wantbto be good to high end free agents. He said himself that he wants to make.this team a destination for.players. All these luxery moves are things that will look better a few years down the line.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I think the reason he did all the.improovements is because having nice facilities helps attract guys they couldn't get before like a brad Richards. The ehrhoff signing shows that they wantbto be good to high end free agents. He said himself that he wants to make.this team a destination for.players. All these luxery moves are things that will look better a few years down the line.
I understand that but those luxuries aren't going to matter if your GM won't cut losses and your coach can't control his players.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:20 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
That's it! I've seen enough. A post by Dubi doo has inspired me to start this thread.

Grade the owner of the Buffalo Sabres, Terry Pegula. Don't be a pinhead and post junk for shock value. It's tired and lame. Explain your grade if you can (I bet some can't). This is not about the team effort or record.

Grade - A

Why? He has bought a team, pumped millions and millions into it. Brought in good respectable sports minds to help in decisions, like Sawyer and Benson. He has taken any restraints off of the GM. He honors ALL the Sabres Alumni. He has injected enthusiasm into the organization.
The thread should have died right there.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
He gave the GM keys to a sports car, and right now it appears the GM didn't know how to drive it. We can't blame Pegula for Darcy's personal moves, unless of course Pegula was meddling, which we insuffecient evidence of. Now, time will tell if he's willing to make the tough calls. As others have said, it's far too soon to judge.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:37 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He gave the GM keys to a sports car, and right now it appears the GM didn't know how to drive it. We can't blame Pegula for Darcy's personal moves, unless of course Pegula was meddling, which we insuffecient evidence of. Now, time will tell if he's willing to make the tough calls. As others have said, it's far too soon to judge.
I don't know. Landing Regehr for the price of Butler and Byron was a major coup. Ehrhoff's deal is nicely structured. Leino's deal is certainly suspect as this point.

More like the GM drove the car hard but brought it back with a ding or two.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
C-

Let's look at the facts and take off the blinders. He came in and has made an absolute mess of this team. From the top down the whole thing is a mess. He kept an incompetent general manager who used the previous ownership as an excuse as to why he didn't win. I've got news for you folks they nearly spent to the cap under Golisono.
How has he made a mess of anything? If he doesn't touch the team they're probably worse off than they are now. Do you think if he didn't buy the team Golisano/Quinn would've fired Regier/Ruff? Pegula put his money where his mouth is and is one of the biggest reasons Robyn Regehr is on this team right now and he is the only reason they got Christian Ehrhoff. The team is a mess right now but Leino, Regehr, and Ehrhoff have nothing to do with it.

Quote:
He kept Lindy as the coach; Why you ask? Because he's a "Fan of his" gives out another outrageous contract.
If you want to take a report from a fairly unreliable source and use it to pile even more on the owner then by all means, go ahead. However, I think I'm going to go ahead and wait and see if this rumor has any legs before crucifying Pegula.

Quote:
To cap it off he meddles in the player personnel department instructing the GM to go after Ehrhoff because "I'm a fan of his, he was great in the playoffs". Let me make one thing clear, I like Ehrhoff he's a good player but currently this defense has about 2 too many offensive defensemen so someone needs to go. I personally believe that he was instrumental in the signing of Ville Leino who in my opinion lied to the organization about wanting to play center and likely played a part in giving the good old American boy Stafford a nice new contract. Sure Stafford said all the right things and produced at a career level it just happened to be in a contract year right?
100% unsubstantiated. Nobody said he "instructed" the GM to go after Ehrhoff. He liked Ehrhoff and he wanted Ehrhoff but if you think Darcy Regier, or any GM, would go out and sign a player to a massive 10 year contract just because the owner likes him, that's just naivety.

How should Pegula be held accountable for Leino lying to the team?

Again, how is Pegula responsible for the contract handed out to Stafford?

Neither of those things fall under his duties.

So you essentially took all that is wrong with the team right now (and some things that have nothing to do with the teams struggles) and just lump it all on Pegula. Some of the things you're complaining about have absolutely nothing to do with Pegula and some (contract extension) probably aren't even true, yet you're raking him over the coals for it.

Things Pegula is responsible for:
Spruced up arena - ribbon outside, TV's in bathrooms, updated in-game presentation, upgraded programs
Welcoming all of the alumni back and getting them involved again
Adding an ECHL affiliate
Purchased the AHL team down the road so they could re-unite that affiliation to benefit the Sabres
Players/coaches hand delivering season tickets
Partially responsible for the trade for Regehr (exact type of dman this team was missing)
Stocked up the scouting department (nearly doubling it)
Shelling out the money for free-agents, it's not his problem how it was used
Provide the money for the prospects to go play in the Traverse City tournament
New zamboni's and new dehumidification system to improve the ice
Slug Appreciate Day
Complete re-haul of the locker room in an effort to attract more FA

Things Pegula is not responsible for:
Leino "lying" to the organization
Stafford getting a new contract

Things that there is absolutely no proof for:
Pegula meddling in player personnel decisions
Ruff recieving a 7 year extension

By all means, don't let this get in the way of you bashing Pegula, but it's time to take a step back and look at what Pegula is actually responsible for here. The fact of the matter is, the team is struggling and a lot of people are way overreacting to this report of a 7 year extension for Ruff. Pegula did all he personally could to improve this team by upgrading the facilities, providing ridiculous amounts of cash now and in the future to sign FA, and the willingness to eat contracts like Kotalik and Morrisonn to improve the team.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

If it's true that he gave Lindy a 7-year contract, then that's a ding on his resume. But other than that rumored potentially bad move, I can't fault him for anything else.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
How has he made a mess of anything? If he doesn't touch the team they're probably worse off than they are now. Do you think if he didn't buy the team Golisano/Quinn would've fired Regier/Ruff? Pegula put his money where his mouth is and is one of the biggest reasons Robyn Regehr is on this team right now and he is the only reason they got Christian Ehrhoff. The team is a mess right now but Leino, Regehr, and Ehrhoff have nothing to do with it.

If you want to take a report from a fairly unreliable source and use it to pile even more on the owner then by all means, go ahead. However, I think I'm going to go ahead and wait and see if this rumor has any legs before crucifying Pegula.

100% unsubstantiated. Nobody said he "instructed" the GM to go after Ehrhoff. He liked Ehrhoff and he wanted Ehrhoff but if you think Darcy Regier, or any GM, would go out and sign a player to a massive 10 year contract just because the owner likes him, that's just naivety.

How should Pegula be held accountable for Leino lying to the team?

Again, how is Pegula responsible for the contract handed out to Stafford?

Neither of those things fall under his duties.

So you essentially took all that is wrong with the team right now (and some things that have nothing to do with the teams struggles) and just lump it all on Pegula. Some of the things you're complaining about have absolutely nothing to do with Pegula and some (contract extension) probably aren't even true, yet you're raking him over the coals for it.

Things Pegula is responsible for:
Spruced up arena - ribbon outside, TV's in bathrooms, updated in-game presentation, upgraded programs
Welcoming all of the alumni back and getting them involved again
Adding an ECHL affiliate
Purchased the AHL team down the road so they could re-unite that affiliation to benefit the Sabres
Players/coaches hand delivering season tickets
Partially responsible for the trade for Regehr (exact type of dman this team was missing)
Stocked up the scouting department (nearly doubling it)
Shelling out the money for free-agents, it's not his problem how it was used
Provide the money for the prospects to go play in the Traverse City tournament
New zamboni's and new dehumidification system to improve the ice
Slug Appreciate Day
Complete re-haul of the locker room in an effort to attract more FA

Things Pegula is not responsible for:
Leino "lying" to the organization
Stafford getting a new contract

Things that there is absolutely no proof for:
Pegula meddling in player personnel decisions
Ruff recieving a 7 year extension

By all means, don't let this get in the way of you bashing Pegula, but it's time to take a step back and look at what Pegula is actually responsible for here. The fact of the matter is, the team is struggling and a lot of people are way overreacting to this report of a 7 year extension for Ruff. Pegula did all he personally could to improve this team by upgrading the facilities, providing ridiculous amounts of cash now and in the future to sign FA, and the willingness to eat contracts like Kotalik and Morrisonn to improve the team.
This is exactly what i was trying to say.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Here is my report card on Pegula:

Math: B- [cap situation is not good]
Media Arts: C [MSG vs TW mess is not good]
Health: D- [Nobody can stay healthy]
Social Studies: A+ [insert picture of Pegula & Black drinking a beer when handing out season tickets]
History: A [Pegula's hero is Bert. Nuff said]
Geography: A [The team isn't moving anytime soon]
Home Economics: A+ [remodeling of the locker room]

Overall, some good, some bad, but a lot more good than bad for me.

And you judge owners on longer timespans that the first 12 months that they own the team.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
HiddenInLight

Cant blame him for the Tv thing. At least he is opening the arena for viewing parties on away games, and tried to get the rights from Msg to stream the games on sabres.com

Old
01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Cant blame him for the Tv thing. At least he is opening the arena for viewing parties on away games, and tried to get the rights from Msg to stream the games on sabres.com
I can blame the Sabres for actively telling fans to jump from Dish Network to Time Warner Cable last year when MSG was dropped from Dish.

It's not all on the Sabres. But, I don't like the way that they have handled it.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

B+

On the day he took over, I said there's not too much $5M more in contracts (which was how far we were to the cap) was going to do without a change in management.

Everything else he's done beyond my wildest hopes, but endorsing a stale management team may have hurt the team more than any of his investments in FA and the new locker room may have helped.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
HiddenInLight

Different ownership. Sabres right now.are saying the whole situation is.********. Ted Black saying hes gonna leave his boxes on the front steps, the free viewing parties, trying to get permission to stream...what else can the.organization.do at this.point?

Old
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Wow mixed bag here...

Some don't give a grade (point of thread)
Some have a good handle on the situation
Some are clueless and/or type things just to get a reaction (obvious)

It's so funny how a few comments have NOTHING to do with Pegula as an owner of an NHL team. Misdirected anger at a fever pitch.
If you look at running a big business as a speed boat that can turn on a dime and change course in a matter of seconds, your dead wrong, and you'll NEVER be happy.
Running a big business is like a cruise ship. A lot of moving parts that work in harmony to get to the destination. The ship is slow at turning, and slow to accelerate. But it will accomplish it's goal, which is to arrive at the port.
This team, this owner, will win a cup. Maybe some passengers will get impatient and jump ship onto a speed boat to get there faster. Fine, go, be a fan of a different team and owner.
But my team, my owner, my ship will accomplish it's goal. No doubt in my mind.
Doubters... Good luck with your speed boat...may it spring a leak and sink, as my ship passes you and all the loyal passengers laugh.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Disenfranchised*

Some of you might want to work on your critical thinking skills rather than worshiping the man. He's done some nice cosmetic things but make no mistake he 100% has meddled in player personnel and he should of fired Regier. If you want to argue that he was right to keep Lindy Fluff fine, but to argue he made the correct decision keeping Regier is an indefensible position. Even the most skilled debater couldn't win that one, his record speaks for itself; It's one of failure, and disappointment.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Some of you might want to work on your critical thinking skills rather than worshiping the man. He's done some nice cosmetic things but make no mistake he 100% has meddled in player personnel and he should of fired Regier. If you want to argue that he was right to keep Lindy Fluff fine, but to argue he made the correct decision keeping Regier is an indefensible position. Even the most skilled debater couldn't win that one, his record speaks for itself; It's one of failure, and disappointment.
Yes, a few folk in this thread DO need to work on their critical thinking skills.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
That makes no sense. If you're asserting Pegula is "100% meddling in personnel decisions". Then those decisions would be his mistakes not Regeir's. So based on your assertion, why would he need to fire Regier?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
joshjull

B+

Loved most of the things he's done. Rome wasn't built in a day. I didn't expect him to have the best team in hockey assembled in one summer.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

For as little time as he's been there, A for giving me hope, not to mention the financial commitment to the team and city that he's given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
And you judge owners on longer timespans that the first 12 months that they own the team.
This. The higher you go up the ladder, the longer it takes to shake out how well they're doing their job.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Is that you Jerry Sullivan? You hate Darcy and dont really like Lindy.

As far as a meddling owner, you DO NOT KNOW the extent of his involvement. Do not act as though you do. Ehrhoff... do you really think he was not on the Sabres radar as a free agent d-man with the success he had in Vancouver but for the comment by Pegula?

Many didnt want Darcy retained. Since Pegula, he has operated without financial handcuffs and that cannot be denied. With that, came some aggressive moves that most were at least generally happy with, fans and pundits alike. If Darcy does not make a relatively large move this season, I will certainly eat crow, but I would be shocked if he did not make one or more moves to continue to try to improve this team.

Pegula has been excellent,but not perfect. Who is?

He is a shrewd businessman. I guarantee he was equally if not substantially more emotionally invested in his previous business than he is with the Sabres and he seemed to run that corporation pretty well. He treated his employees like family there but also retained high expectations in exchange. He has said the same here.

Just because he isnt lopping heads to the speed you desire does not mean that he does not know what he is doing or is too invested as a "fanboy". What a dramatic load of crap.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
puckish66

I'll go with the brilliant academic analogy Jim Bob came up with and say Terry has done lots of things right -- made his margins nice and neat, paid attention in class, played well with others and brought an apple for the teacher -- but he's failing his final right now.

I'll reserve my grade til the end of the semester in June. I mean, early April.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I'll reserve my grade til the end of the semester in June. I mean, early April.
I'm waiting until September.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Disenfranchised*

I can't wait to bring this thread back up in 3 years. This team is headed down the Daniel Snyder path of losing. Pegula will figure it out eventually but not before the team goes through a serious period of bad play.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
I can't wait to bring this thread back up in 3 years. This team is headed down the Daniel Snyder path of losing. Pegula will figure it out eventually but not before the team goes through a serious period of bad play.
Didn't the Dallas Mavericks and Mark Cuban just win the NBA Championship.......

And if memory is correct, Steinbrener's Yankees have won 5 World Series in the last 15 years.

You "CHILDREN" who are knocking this guy, have no clue about business, and how to eveluate. Before he took over he hired "HOCKEY" people to consult with. You don't become a multi-billionaire by being a punk. He needed to change the "CULUTRE" of the entire Buffalo organization first, before he will win the CUPS. The Captain fiasco made the Sabres organization look like a bunch of clowns, and until top-on-down organizational changes are apparent to the entire hockey community, the Sabres will be punks, not until they change the perception.

Wow....this guy deserves praise from every one of us, not this hatred spew from some of you.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote