Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Prince George Cougars - Regular season

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2004, 03:31 AM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Prince George Cougars - Regular season

HOLY CRAPPOLA! THEY WON A FREAKIN GAME! haha....

And seriously, what's up with the shut outs in the WHL this year? Both of the cats wins now have come via the shut out...and their last 3 games, tonights included have been shut outs...losing 4-0 to Loops, 7-0 to Kelowna and then winning 4-0 against the Raiders tonight.

Anyways, tonights thoughts...

-Real Cyr. Nuff said with the name really. Buh-bye McLaughlin. I mean, sure, he hasn't played poorly, but with all indications pointing to a possible appearence by Pogge tomorrow night against Medicine Hat, and he WAS backup tonight, so he must be close enough that IF he had to go in, he could. Anyways, Back to Cyr. The kid was gold tonight. A few big saves, but really didn't have too many great scoring chances against. I like him.

-Byfuglien...well, he looked extremely disinterested one shift, and then the next he'd have 2 shots, 3 hits, and a few great passes....and then dissapear again. Why oh why can't he just put it all together and realize he has some talent, and a huge *** shot...USE IT!

-Drazenovic...IMO, one of, if not THE best player on the ice tonight. He was buzzing all night, and I really haven't anything bad to say about the guy. Scored a goal and was generally involved all night. Hitting, passing, going to the net, getting shots and playing solid positionally.

-Garbutt...I heard he was a waste of space when we traded for him. Well, thus far, he looks good enough to me. Scored twice tonight, one was kinda weak, the other was a beauty on the PP.

I REALLY wish I could say Chipchura was a force tonight, but for the most part he was invisible. He did nothing, but that's not saying much as basically all of the Raiders decided to take the night off. Their PP was horrid, although some credit MUST be given to the Cougs PK. They were making the Raiders force plays, and thus they ended up coughing it up quite a bit, only to have to retreat to pick it up and start over again.

Anyways, I'm sure there was more...In general, I thought the Cats played a safe game. The first was a little scrambly...but they calmed down enough and were able to take control late in the first and definitely into the 2nd period. I liked what I saw. Saturday night should be a true test though against the "other cats"...should be a good game there. I'd like to see Pogge get the start, but we'll see.

And with that, I'm off to sleepy land.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:40 AM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
Good for the Cougars that they won. If they had have lost, the Spruce Kings might have had a chance to draw a better crowd tomorrow night.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Avery4Byng*

At PG's last game in Kelowna I was so disapointed with Byfuglien. I liked him last year and was hoping this year he would dominate but wow he looked lost out there. A guy with his size and skill level should be putting up decent points, even from the blueline. He moves pretty quick to for a big guy, lets hope he gets his crap together.

Old
10-10-2004, 01:49 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
At PG's last game in Kelowna I was so disapointed with Byfuglien. I liked him last year and was hoping this year he would dominate but wow he looked lost out there. A guy with his size and skill level should be putting up decent points, even from the blueline. He moves pretty quick to for a big guy, lets hope he gets his crap together.
I think his problem is that he doesn't want to play defence. Maybe playing like crap is his way of showing he wants to be up front.

I like him up front even strength to park his big ass in front of the net, and I like him on the point for the PP.

Old
10-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Canadian Chris

I agree. Put Byfuglien up front, move Featherstone back to Defense...I mean, Bufyglien was always joining the rush on Friday night, and then last night against Med. Hat he was doing the same, and often one of the first guys in.

The kid has SO much talent its not even funny. He's got one of the hardest shots in the league, yet doesn't seem to want to take it. He had the whole crowd yelling at hime to shoot the puck last night on one PP. RELUCTANTLY he sorta wound up and took it.

He could be such a force in this league, but it just doesn't look like he has it in him. Seriously, I'd love someone to just piss him off to know end. Then MAYBE he might decide to drop the gloves because god knows he won't do it otherwise. I can understand why he doesn't...I'm sure Lambert doesn't want him to, but my gawd, stick up for yourself kid....throw a hit...DO SOMETHING!

By the way, lost 2-0 last night, but they definitely out played the Tigers, unfortunately they either would miss the net, or hit the tender right in the stomach. He just wasn't really tested. Out shot Medicine Hat 25-18, but nothing going. Cougars last 4 games have been shut outs...5 of their first 6 have been shutouts....yikes.

Old
10-12-2004, 10:37 AM
membleypeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
I agree. Put Byfuglien up front, move Featherstone back to Defense...I mean, Bufyglien was always joining the rush on Friday night, and then last night against Med. Hat he was doing the same, and often one of the first guys in.

The kid has SO much talent its not even funny. He's got one of the hardest shots in the league, yet doesn't seem to want to take it. He had the whole crowd yelling at hime to shoot the puck last night on one PP. RELUCTANTLY he sorta wound up and took it.

He could be such a force in this league, but it just doesn't look like he has it in him. Seriously, I'd love someone to just piss him off to know end. Then MAYBE he might decide to drop the gloves because god knows he won't do it otherwise. I can understand why he doesn't...I'm sure Lambert doesn't want him to, but my gawd, stick up for yourself kid....throw a hit...DO SOMETHING!.

Sounds like Lambert has the Cougars playing defense first this year. Are they playing the trap, or are they just not allowing the defence to join the rush. Also, any word on the imports or last years first round pick out of Calgary (Twysten sp who is supposed to be a good goal scorer).

Old
10-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Canadian Chris

I like how Lukacovic is working out. He looks like a smart player, but lacks a little size. Generally though, I have no complaints from him thus far as he has been the most consistant player. The other import hasn't arrived yet, as apparently they are having trouble getting his release....go figure.

And it's not so much that Lambert has them playing the trap, because they aren't. And it's not so much that the defense isn't joining the rush, because they are...I think the Cougars are simply playing better positionally, and are pressuring the puck carrier that much more and forcing them to cough up the puck.

I mean, through half the game against Medicine Hat on Saturday, the Tigers had all of 6 shots. Mind you, the Cougars didn't have many more...11 I believe, but still...holding M.H to 18 shots is a good accomplishment, and the Cougs definitely deserved to win that game. It's just a matter of when their goal scoring gets going.

Swysten is playing JrA(???) at home this year I believe. Reports state that his mom wants him to finish highschool at home, and then decide to go to Cougs...OTHER reports have stated that he doesn't want anything to do with the WHL however and that he's leaning towards a scholly down south....I believe that's what I heard/read....

Old
10-12-2004, 08:37 PM
BCCHL inactive

I saw Byfuglien walking around the mall this morning. He looks a lot lighter than he did even as recent as training camp, when he looked better than he did last season. I gotta give the guy credit...he is dropping the excess weight. Now he just needs to get his head into the game on the ice.

As far as I have heard, Siarhei Kolasau isn't coming over. Again, from what I have heard (through the grapevine), it is a combination of him not being able to get a release from his team and that he can't get the proper immigration documentation. I'll try to find out if he is playing in Belarus. I know a few guys in Europe who should know.

Old
10-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Canadian Chris

Cougs lost in OT tonight...but held the Giants to 16 shots according to the WHL website...interesting stat there says that Cyr turned away 13 of 16 shots...yet the final score was 4-3....so...who was the lucky cougar that put in their own net?!?! Byfuglien I'm looknig your way!!!

Also, Yeo took a penalty in OT at 3:42, and then at 3:43 of OT, the Giants score....that just sucks. Oh well though, to hold a team like the Giants to around 16 shots, there simply nothing wrong with that. It's just really too bad that the cougars went 3 for 6 on the PK tonight...otherwise the score looks like it could've gone the other way...

Also, on the bright side, Byfuglien, Lukacovic and Lapointe all got their first goals of the year.... it's about time!

I'm liking Lukacovic the more I see of him...had 2pts tonight so he looks like he may be adjusting nicely to WHL hockey. Looks as though he MAY become a decent defenseman - at least in the dub....

Finally, while at the games on the weekend, I noticed 2 things. First, Saturday nights crowd was larger than Friday nights crowd - this is good. Secondly, teams just aren't afraid to come down and go wide on our dmen. MAN how I miss having Hamhuis and Wedderburn who would actually punish people if they tried to go wide...You just don't see our Dmen doing that at all.

Oh well, I'm happy with a point tonight...it's a definite start, and atleast a decent start to the road trip. Hopefully they can string a couple wins together before they come back home!

Old
10-14-2004, 03:57 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
Finally, while at the games on the weekend, I noticed 2 things. First, Saturday nights crowd was larger than Friday nights crowd - this is good.
That's only because they had beaten Prince Albert 4-0 on the Friday night. If the Cougars would have lost, the crowd at the Coliseum watching the Spruce Kings could have rivaled the crowd at the Multiplex for the Saturday games.

If anybody is in PG, get your hockey fix at the Coliseum this weekend while the Cougars are on the road. The Spruce Kings host Powell River on Friday night and Alberni Valley on Sunday night. And just incase you don't know, the Spruce Kings are off to one unreal start. They are 10-2-0-1, good enough for top spot in the Interior Conference.

Old
10-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
That's only because they had beaten Prince Albert 4-0 on the Friday night. If the Cougars would have lost, the crowd at the Coliseum watching the Spruce Kings could have rivaled the crowd at the Multiplex for the Saturday games.

If anybody is in PG, get your hockey fix at the Coliseum this weekend while the Cougars are on the road. The Spruce Kings host Powell River on Friday night and Alberni Valley on Sunday night. And just incase you don't know, the Spruce Kings are off to one unreal start. They are 10-2-0-1, good enough for top spot in the Interior Conference.
I want to go to the Bulldogs game as former Saskatoon blade, and a good friend of mine, Rob Woods signed on there....so it'd be nice to see him play...

but yes, I realize that the crowds at the coliseum would rival what would've been at the Plex HAD the cougs lost...but that's a moot point.

Old
10-14-2004, 02:45 PM
leafaholix*

Why hasn't Justin Pogge seen any time since coming back?

Old
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Why hasn't Justin Pogge seen any time since coming back?
Pogge hasn't seen any action yet because he was JUST brought of the DL last week towards the end, and he's still getting back his timing. Obiously with the way Cyr has played as well, there's really no need to rush Pogge back. That being said, I'd look for Pogge to PROBABLY start against Tri-City...at least, that's who I'd start him against if I were lambert

Old
10-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Canadian Chris

so I was right about Pogge playing the other night,......now what do the Cats have to do to get back on the winning ways? I mean...yikes...Maybe they should just play an all out defensive system, 100% total trap. they need to do something because this is just getting ugly. They can't score. At all. At the rate they are gonig, they'll be lucky to break 100 goals this year....my gawd.

I think Lambert, Malgunas and Thompson need to sit down and figure out a game plan...because something isn't right!

Old
10-18-2004, 08:45 PM
BCCHL inactive

I'll tell you what isn't right.

Nobody wants to play here. Prince George = Rick Brodsky, and nobody wants to play for his team. Everybody knows he is the cheapest man alive. He wouldn't even buy the players a tape of this season's first episode of Cougar View that was a tribute to Mike Fogolin.

Not only is he cheap, but he thinks he is a hockey person qualified to make hockey decisions for the team. He tells management what they can and cannot do. It is no coincidence that the vast majority of the Cougars' transactions are made with Saskatoon, owned by Rick's brother.

My bet is that Lambert and Malgunas won't last much longer than this season, and they won't be fired, they'll quit. Thompson will stay. He has a job for life, being married to the owner's daughter, who is "coincidently" the team's business manager.

I know a lot of people who had season tickets for the first 8-9 years that the Cougars were here. Winning a championship is only half of the problem. The team is run by a family show, with a very cheap owner. The people know it, and that is why attendance will keep plummeting, no matter how many games the Cougars win.

Last edited by BCCHL inactive: 10-18-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old
10-21-2004, 08:27 PM
MikeS

I had the pleasure of talking with Stu Malgunas here in Everett last year (played for the T-birds when I used to take in a few Seattle games.

Now I am a season ticket holder of the Tips and wish I was up there in PG for the weekend!

Looking forward to your accounts of the games. It was last year in Prince George that the Tips really started to make some noise. Mike Wall, (former Cougar) went in and stoned his old team and those four points turned our season around.

Keep me posted, especially interested in your take on the Zack Hamill, Brady Calla, Tyler Deitrich line. Good or bad. Hamill and Calla are '88 born kids and I think they are going to jell and make some noise in the Dub...

Old
10-22-2004, 03:21 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I'll tell you what isn't right.

Nobody wants to play here. Prince George = Rick Brodsky, and nobody wants to play for his team. Everybody knows he is the cheapest man alive. He wouldn't even buy the players a tape of this season's first episode of Cougar View that was a tribute to Mike Fogolin.

Not only is he cheap, but he thinks he is a hockey person qualified to make hockey decisions for the team. He tells management what they can and cannot do. It is no coincidence that the vast majority of the Cougars' transactions are made with Saskatoon, owned by Rick's brother.

My bet is that Lambert and Malgunas won't last much longer than this season, and they won't be fired, they'll quit. Thompson will stay. He has a job for life, being married to the owner's daughter, who is "coincidently" the team's business manager.

I know a lot of people who had season tickets for the first 8-9 years that the Cougars were here. Winning a championship is only half of the problem. The team is run by a family show, with a very cheap owner. The people know it, and that is why attendance will keep plummeting, no matter how many games the Cougars win.

I just thought I would respond to my own stuff here...

An example of such a player is Dan Idema. He decided trying his luck in the Dutch pro league was better than playing as an overager in Prince George. Well, that didn't work out and Idema is now playing for the Saginaw Spirit in the OHL. The guy is from Delta, BC, and he chose Europe (Holland of all hockey countries) and Ontario over Prince George, which is obviously much closer to home.

I wonder how many more will refuse to play here before Brodsky recognizes the problem that is himself.

Old
10-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Canadian Chris

Well...entertaining weekend from the sounds of things.

First things first....2 games, 2 wins. Can't go wrong with that. I couldn't make it to either game as I had a game Friday night, and then same with Saturday night. Anyways, 2 for 2 is a good way to get things going now!

Pogge...2 starts, 2 wins. Looks good. The team held Everett to 14 shots on Friday night - you really can't go wrong with that!

Drazenovic scored again he's now got 5 on the year

But from all accounts, I'd just like to say what I've been hearing. My neighbor who is and has been a season tickets holder for a number of years now, said Friday nights game was the best he's seen the Cougs play in 3 years. As it stands, I'd say the only actual weak spot on the team is defense, but if they commit to a defense first system, I'm fine with it. The goals will, and are starting to come. I mean, their last 3 games, that's 11GF with only 7GA. They have the talent, it's just a matter of getting some confidence back.

Also nice to see a PP goal or 2 going in now. Sure, only 2 for 13 this weekend, but they were 2 for 4 against the blades. It's there, and it's slowly coming together!

Brandon is in town this wedensday...hopefully they can turn their 3 game unbeaten streak into a 3 game win streak and 4 game unbeaten streak

Old
10-24-2004, 09:34 PM
leafaholix*

After a shaky start, how's Pogge looking?

Old
10-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Canadian Chris

if this weekend was any indication...he's looking better. I'd say his knee may not have been 100% when he came back, but from all reports he's looking good on the ice and going down, and getting up normally again.

His first few games he was obviously favoring the knee - this was evident by a few of the goals that he let in, they were rather weak, and a lot were shots he'd normally save.

But, as it looks right now, the Pogge that stole the show from December on last year is back, and that's a good thing for the cats!

Old
10-25-2004, 01:44 AM
leafaholix*

That's good.

Old
10-25-2004, 02:11 AM
BCCHL inactive

I went to Saturday's game. I didn't think anybody really stood out, goaltenders included...on both sides.

The first two and a half periods would have even put the most hardcore defensive specialist fans to sleep...it was that bad. Not to take anything away from Drazenovic, but his 5th goal was somewhat weak. It was a slapshot that got between the goaltender's arm and body, but it woke the team up so they could get the next two goals. Nick's goal was weak, but it was clutch.

Being at the game, I have to comment on the poor attendance. It was announced at over 3,200 ...but there were 2,500 max in the arena, on a Saturday night with little to nothing else going on in town. When the Cougars scored their 3rd goal of the game, the fans in the building made a hell of a lot of noise. I can only remember back to the late 90s when there was 6,000 people in the Multiplex going nuts for Blair Betts' playoff series winners against Portland and Kamloops to imagine what the noise would have been like had there been a big crowd for the game Saturday night.

It's not that people in PG don't love this team anymore. They hate how it is being run. I know several people who gave up their season tickets after 9-10 years (since the Cougars arrived) and their most common answer is, "Rick Brodsky is a cheap ****er."

Old
10-26-2004, 11:58 AM
membleypeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I went to Saturday's game. I didn't think anybody really stood out, goaltenders included...on both sides.

The first two and a half periods would have even put the most hardcore defensive specialist fans to sleep...it was that bad. Not to take anything away from Drazenovic, but his 5th goal was somewhat weak. It was a slapshot that got between the goaltender's arm and body, but it woke the team up so they could get the next two goals. Nick's goal was weak, but it was clutch.

Being at the game, I have to comment on the poor attendance. It was announced at over 3,200 ...but there were 2,500 max in the arena, on a Saturday night with little to nothing else going on in town. When the Cougars scored their 3rd goal of the game, the fans in the building made a hell of a lot of noise. I can only remember back to the late 90s when there was 6,000 people in the Multiplex going nuts for Blair Betts' playoff series winners against Portland and Kamloops to imagine what the noise would have been like had there been a big crowd for the game Saturday night.

It's not that people in PG don't love this team anymore. They hate how it is being run. I know several people who gave up their season tickets after 9-10 years (since the Cougars arrived) and their most common answer is, "Rick Brodsky is a cheap ****er."
What a shame that Brodsky is running this proud franchise into the ground. When I left PG 4 years ago, all the hockey people in the pulp mills were saying the same thing that you are. They all hoped that he would take a hands off approach to the team, and let hockey people run the hockey operations. Everyone wanted to see a fresh start to the franchise so that they could get back on the band wagon and support the franchise fully.

Instead, he had his drunken friends Luby (GM at that time) and Smart (Head Scout) making all the hockey decisions (after consultation with Brodsky). I see that he now has promoted his immediate family into the major roles.

I had hoped that Thompson might be a hockey man who could help out the situation (even though as a son in law he would be under the finger of Brodsky). I can see that he is not. He has continued the tradition of poor trades (look at all the draft picks he has wasted on the overagers), poor communication (Twysten and Idema would not even report to PG), and poor scouting (why can't we get any imports that can play the game into this town).

It is a sad situation. The fans are having there say however, and Brodsky must be feeling the economic pinch of having a half empty rink. It's a shame that the players have to put up with this. Perhaps PG will run Brodsky out of town, just like Saskatoon did to Lubinieki many years before.

Old
10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
BCCHL inactive

If there is one guy I will step up for ...somewhat, it is Dallas Thompson. Yeah, he's married to the owner's daughter, who is the team's business manager, but at least he played in the league at one point, making him more of a hockey person than anybody else in the front office.

Dallas made the first ever trade between Prince George and Kamloops. In Idema's case, you can look at both sides. You can argue that the Cougars didn't do enough to make him want to stay, but you can also look at Idema's thinking...why would he want to go from a WHL Champion to a last-place team? Idema was quite selfish.

In Swystun's case, his mother wants him to finish high school in Alberta. Whether or not Swystun wants to go the NCAA route is not clear yet, but there is a chance he could be in PG next season.

But in general, yes, the Prince George Cougars are a family show, and the people here know it.

Old
10-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Avery4Byng*

I am looking forward to seeing the Cougs again this Friday... Only my 2nd regular season Rockets game this year, and like the first one I get to see the Cougs.....

Hopefully Byfuglien comes to play this time...One of my favorite WHL players when he gets his crap together.

Closed Thread