HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murray Looking to Add Come Deadline

Old
01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Alfredsson11

vCash: 500
Murray Looking to Add Come Deadline

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun

Spoke with Sens GM Bryan Murray this a.m., says if his team can continue what it's doing, he'll be looking to add come the trade deadline

But Murray says that this is a tough month for his team, lots of hockey to be played... Murray also lauded work of head coach Paul MacLean

Overall, Murray was clear in saying the overall plan hasn't changed, this is still about the Sens building a foundation through its youth

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Alfredsson11

If Murray is looking to add I think a 2nd line winger would be high on priority list.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Billy Madison*

Good. They have a ton of assests within the organization that they can use for their own needs or current wants. The prospect pool is as good as it has ever been, the 4th-7th round picks at this point are a bonus coming into the next few seasons, and with guys like Stone, Petersson, Hoffman (all late round picks that might turn out) it makes guys like Peumpel and even the 2nd-3rd rounders a little less valuable to the organization on a short and long term basis.

Should they be giving up the farm to add some UFA at years end? Absolutely not. Should they do it to make a move for a guy like Parise or Nash? Might be the right time, the right player, and the right circumstances surrounding it all for it to happen.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
HSF

get us a young forward who could challenge Greening for that top line role

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

1st, Lehner, Ziba, Silf should be untouchable.

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Icelevel
Relentless

top 6 LW to help in the playoffs this yr and possibly a dman for depth.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Parise, Nash, Ryan, are all available for the right price. The Sens may have very well tanked in the best season possible and could very well be in the best position of all teams with these guys available because of it. What team is in a position to take on a large, long term cap it with the assets available to make the deal and is in a playoff position while having a fantastic future ahead of it? Not a lot.

Lehner, Zibanejad and SIlfverberg I would bet are the only untouchables at this point.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:35 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Good. They have a ton of assests within the organization that they can use for their own needs or current wants. The prospect pool is as good as it has ever been, the 4th-7th round picks at this point are a bonus coming into the next few seasons, and with guys like Stone, Petersson, Hoffman (all late round picks that might turn out) it makes guys like Peumpel and even the 2nd-3rd rounders a little less valuable to the organization on a short and long term basis.

Should they be giving up the farm to add some UFA at years end? Absolutely not. Should they do it to make a move for a guy like Parise or Nash? Might be the right time, the right player, and the right circumstances surrounding it all for it to happen.
Have to agree - stick to the plan. Even if that requires trading someone (Kuba by example) away for the right player/pick; if that deal presents itself.

You deal for a Nash/Parise at any time of year as that will seriously upgrade the roster, but Murray will have to be impressed with the deal in order to close it. I doubt we have the pieces teams will want for this level of return unless we are selling the farm and Murray has said he will not do that. We have to believe him then. There have to be certain players designated as "core" moving forward that we do not move.

There are some guys out there that could help long term and they are the ones to target for the right return - otherwise stick to the plan. We are not winning it all this year and adding to the prospect/young talent pool is the end game. If we get a playoff round that's a bonus, but its not the sign of success for this year - getting better for next year and beyond is.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:37 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
My thoughts exactly we need a 1st line LW

???????? - spezza - michalek
Foligno - Turris - Alfie

And I think we have chance to do decent in the playoffs. It all depends what were getting and what we have to give up obviously I'm just afraid of the next trade.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
1st, Lehner, Ziba, Silf should be untouchable.
Don't even think the 1st rounder needs to be untouchable. If you can lend 10 years of Parise with that 1st rounder as the kicker... why do you even need it? Only 20 players can dress for the Sens.

I agree with those 3 guys though. Then you have guys like Petersson, Stone, and Hoffman as well as Boroweicki, Weircoich, and Gryba who make guys like Noesen, Peumpel, Prince the 1st, and other draft picks or lesser prospects available.

Hell, landing Turris makes all the world of difference right now too.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Have to agree - stick to the plan. Even if that requires trading someone (Kuba by example) away for the right player/pick; if that deal presents itself.

You deal for a Nash/Parise at any time of year as that will seriously upgrade the roster, but Murray will have to be impressed with the deal in order to close it. I doubt we have the pieces teams will want for this level of return unless we are selling the farm and Murray has said he will not do that. We have to believe him then. There have to be certain players designated as "core" moving forward that we do not move.

There are some guys out there that could help long term and they are the ones to target for the right return - otherwise stick to the plan. We are not winning it all this year and adding to the prospect/young talent pool is the end game. If we get a playoff round that's a bonus, but its not the sign of success for this year - getting better for next year and beyond is.
There won't be any players off the current roster dealt if I had to guess. Maybe Foligno because he can step into a top 6 role on a lot of teams but even then. The vets are here to stay for the year for sure though, don't see them moving guys with a wealth of playoff experience like Kuba, Phillips, Gonchar, or Neil, kind of defeats the purpose.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:44 AM
operasen

But NJ/Columbus would be looking for more than prospects I think - and we do not really have a star roster player that we want to part with.

Even adding a guy like Smith to a Puempel, Noesen and 1st package makes it too steep a cost, although I would do a Butler, Regin, Winchester type with the above 3. Just do not think that's what will close the deal.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Johnny Hanson

I'm with billy on this one, if we have the opportunity to trade for someone like parise or nash at the deadline, we do it. I realize this is hockeys future and all you have hard ons for unproven prospects, but if we can get a proven superstar that's ready to contribute right away, we damn well better do it if the price is right

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:47 AM
great1

I think we owe it to Alfie to make a serious playoff push if we have a realistic chance of going all the way.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
I'm with billy on this one, if we have the opportunity to trade for someone like parise or nash at the deadline, we do it. I realize this is hockeys future and all you have hard ons for unproven prospects, but if we can get a proven superstar that's ready to contribute right away, we damn well better do it if the price is right
Getting Parise with Spezza and Michalek would basically guarantee a decade more of playoff hockey in Ottawa.

Also, truth be told, Ottawa's 1st round pick is looking like a 20-24 range type pick now and the value of that is a lot less than it was on October 7th.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Minister of Offence

Think we need serious top 4 D help to really make a difference.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
I think we owe it to Alfie to make a serious playoff push if we have a realistic chance of going all the way.
If they can nab Parise or Nash that gives them a serious chance this year and next, especially with Crosby being out for perhaps the rest of the season.

20th overall pick isn't even in the same relm of a top 5 pick in terms of value. Even that 2nd rounder is looking like the 50th overall pick at this point that they gave up for Turris.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Make a move for Parise and there might be a guy from Nashville knocking on the door come July 1.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Prattalot

We have the cap space to potentially make a splash trading picks and prospects for some talent. I'd like to see us go hard after some 1st line talent...esp. a winger who is young like Ryan/Parise etc...if it means giving up our 1st and solid blue chippers so be it.

Prattalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
you're probably right. it's questionable as it is. one injury and it's big trouble.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:53 AM
operasen

Quote:
Does Nashville move a Suter or Weber at the deadline? Ellis is up and doing well and Blum is waiting.

Have to be a draft day deal I think as they will make the Playoffs this year.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Disagree. Unless it's a legit top pairing defenseman coming back, it won't make a huge difference. We all know a top defenseman isn't coming to Ottawa at the deadline.

Unless they think Phillips-Carkner/Lee is not a good 3rd pair, which I think it is, there is no need for D help.

I don't even think there is a need for a top 6 winger. Condra is playing well and Foligno is on the 3rd line if you need him. This team has decent scoring depth right now, so again, unless it's a 1st line winger, it won't make much difference.

If a 2nd line guy is added, this team still doesn't win the cup. I am completely against adding a veteran or rental just for this year. The team is playing well, let the young guys develop and don't push them down the lineup.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Jason Squirtle

I think we should go after Jussi Jokinen. 3 million a year for the next several years and he's only 28! Look very nice along Turris and Alfie or even help Spezza set up MM to get him to 50 goals this season.

Or if we need help in the top 4 grab Gleason as a rental.

I'd be all over the Parise or Nash bandwagon though but I don't want to have to give up as much as we'd have to in order to compete with other potential suitors.

Jason Squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Disagree. Unless it's a legit top pairing defenseman coming back, it won't make a huge difference. We all know a top defenseman isn't coming to Ottawa at the deadline.
That's my point.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Billy Madison*

The fact this thread and conversation is even happening is beyond anything people could have expected from this team.