HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn coming to Philly? (Frank Seravalli, Philadelphia Daily News)

Old
01-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Oh really? Didnt know that. Saw that Schenn signed his contract with a NTC so I thought it started when his contract started.

But ya anyway, main point is, I dont think its uneven as most people are saying, but it actually happening is another story.
Yea the NTC are probably in the last years of both of their contracts because they both had a year of UFA bought out in them.

I just think if we are packaging a player like JVR, I would rather go after the elite D-man out there. Lebrun said that the Flyers have Suter on the tops of their wishlist so I would much rather take a shot at him instead of Schenn.. not saying Schenn isn't worth it though. Just prefer Suter.

I wouldn't mind sending JVR+1st and maybe even Cousins or another prospect like that for Suter and a middling prospect from Nashville. Just me though. I hate to say it but I have the same stance as Burke when it come to 1st rounders, I would gladly involve it into the trade if it makes us a cup contender. Suter would do that I believe. Also that pick most likely will be late in the first round and no guaranteeing you get a great player... Suter is one of the best.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:14 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Seems ro me jvr for schenn makes mucho sense for both sides.

both good but overrated top-5 picks, both come from a position of depth and go to a position of need.

obviously, both fans don't really want to see their guy traded unless it's as the centrepiece of a trade for a proven elite player....but that just bolsters the case that the two havevery similar value. wouldn't be surprised at all to see this go down.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh really? Didnt know that. Saw that Schenn signed his contract with a NTC so I thought it started when his contract started.

But ya anyway, main point is, I dont think its uneven as most people are saying, but it actually happening is another story.
Briere and Hartnell are the only 2 forwards with a NMC and a NTC respectively.

Timonen and Pronger have NMC and of course our awesome 50 billion dollar goalie has one. per capgeek who are very reliable.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:38 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Briere and Hartnell are the only 2 forwards with a NMC and a NTC respectively.

Timonen and Pronger have NMC and of course our awesome 50 billion dollar goalie has one. per capgeek who are very reliable.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24
Ya I saw that under the roster page, but if you click JVR's name here:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=803

Look under his next contract. It says Known Clauses: NTC. From what I understood before, I thought it meant it would start next year, but instead it seems to be when his UFA years starts.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:41 AM
philer Bozel
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Why is seemingly every Toronto fan so desperate to get rid of Kadri at any opportunity? I'm forced to think he sucks and has no potential.
Not true. Kadri has The best hands on our team even better then Kessel's. He also Has amazing vision, He's been setting up guys like Lambo who's been in a slump and can't score. He's a high risk high reward player and so far we've been getting the reward.

I wouldn't trade Kadri for Schenn straight up.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

Look under his next contract. It says Known Clauses: NTC. From what I understood before, I thought it meant it would start next year, but instead it seems to be when his UFA years starts.
ok im looking at it now. I wonder if that modified NTC kicks in after the 4th year of his extension which would be his UFA eligible year. (7th pro season).

Old
01-12-2012, 01:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Not true. Kadri has The best hands on our team even better then Kessel's. He also Has amazing vision, He's been setting up guys like Lambo who's been in a slump and can't score. He's a high risk high reward player and so far we've been getting the reward.

pretty sure the Flyers wouldnt either.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:03 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

Well JVR>>Kadri, so JVR for Schenn + what then?

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
ok im looking at it now. I wonder if that modified NTC kicks in after the 4th year of his extension which would be his UFA eligible year. (7th pro season).
Yea I was looking at that too just now and that has to be when it kicks in per CBA rules

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

Yeah. Neither would I.

01-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Devonator

I have to say as a Flyer's Fan that you have to give up quality to get quality...JVR for Schenn I think is a very fair deal for both sides...these 2 players are only going to get better and better....we need a young stud of a defenceman...The Leafs would seemingly like to get hold of JVR.....we have a good enough abundance of talent up front that I think we can afford to give up JVR...and the intangibles are that you would have a brilliant brother combo together on the same team...I do not think you can overlook how that could be excellent for both of the Schenns!

Granted, if I had my druthers, I would just wait until the off season and snag Suter and keep JVR...viola.....

Devonator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:20 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
I have to say as a Flyer's Fan that you have to give up quality to get quality...JVR for Schenn I think is a very fair deal for both sides...these 2 players are only going to get better and better....we need a young stud of a defenceman...The Leafs would seemingly like to get hold of JVR.....we have a good enough abundance of talent up front that I think we can afford to give up JVR...and the intangibles are that you would have a brilliant brother combo together on the same team...I do not think you can overlook how that could be excellent for both of the Schenns!

Granted, if I had my druthers, I would just wait until the off season and snag Suter and keep JVR...viola.....
L.Schenn is more so a guy you pair with a Top pairing D, w.e already locked up Coburn to a significant contract and would fill a similar role. If we're going to trade a big asset like JVR/Voracek, it should be in a package for a future #1 anchor on our D. (ie: Suter or Weber etc)

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post

That's the thing.. We do not have to give up that much to get a decent stay home d-men. Weber, Suter, Pronger, Chara, Staal, Edler, Yandle, Duncan Keith, Karlsson, will cost an arm and a leg and I'd be willing to pay.

L.Schenn is young and big but he is just a stay home. I mean we can get Schenn's type through UFA. Easy.

We need to replace Pronger. That is our objective for this summer and soon we will need to replace Timonen.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
L.Schenn is more so a guy you pair with a Top pairing D, w.e already locked up Coburn to a significant contract and would fill a similar role. If we're going to trade a big asset like JVR/Voracek, it should be in a package for a future #1 anchor on our D. (ie: Suter or Weber etc)
This is pretty much my feeling. Luke Schenn is a good defenseman, but I don't think he'll ever be a #1. He doesn't have the offensive upside to be anything more than a #2 guy. At best, I think he is pretty much a better Coburn. He is definately not the franchise defenseman of the future that most people here want. Personally, I think JVR is an overpayment unless something else is coming back the other way.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Anyone else think they're not going to trade JVR solely because of what they did with the Richards/Carter contracts, aka; signing them long term and shipping them out? Especially with so many talented youngsters. Doesn't look good if you ask me, and hurts the organization's integrity.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Anyone else think they're not going to trade JVR solely because of what they did with the Richards/Carter contracts, aka; signing them long term and shipping them out? Especially with so many talented youngsters. Doesn't look good if you ask me, and hurts the organization's integrity.
Money talks. Offer it and they will come...

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
We have a faster, more experienced version of him on the team already, and he has proven himself to get better in the play offs. His name is Braydon Coburn and he can play as many minutes as Laviolette would ever ask him to. If we are going to be paying a premium for any players (and getting LKuke SChenn would be expensive) it would be for a player that adds something to the team.

Dumb speculation.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:

NTCs only work for players at a certain age. 27 i think. that's why you were able to trade richards before his NTC kicked in.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
That's pretty much it about Luke. He's a good defenseman, but he'll never be the type to anchor the pairing when matched up against top forwards. You stick him with a good partner (such as Timonen) and he'll play good, but if you expect him to carry the load between the pair, he won't succeed most of the time. He's basically Coburn v2.0

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:05 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
*coming in peace*

Schenn isnt going anywhere unless hes part of a deal for an established 1st line C (only winger I could see Burke dealing him for is Ryan). So that probably means hes not going anywhere.
On what planet is Luke Schenn worth a 1st line center?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
*coming in peace*

Schenn isnt going anywhere unless hes PART OF A DEAL for an established 1st line C (only winger I could see Burke dealing him for is Ryan). So that probably means hes not going anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
On what planet is Luke Schenn worth a 1st line center?
On what planet does 'part of a deal' not mean there would be more pieces added?

Sterling31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
On what planet does 'part of a deal' not mean there would be more pieces added?
So Schenn + Kadri + late 1st/early 2nd

is roughly = to

Simmonds + Schenn + late 2nd

You should be able to get a Mike Richards.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
no. If Holmgren thinks he can make this team better by trading JVR he will. he doesnt care what people think of him.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
no. If Holmgren thinks he can make this team better by trading JVR he will. he doesnt care what people think of him.
Which is exactly what he should do.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Which is exactly what he should do.
I agree with this and GoneFullHolmgren on this one. If you have a chance to improve your team you do, you don't care that the guy just signed a deal with you.

We have no idea what the mentality within the dressing room is on this issue, but there hasn't been any divide within the room and the team is winning, that to mean indicates we have happy players here, not players that are skeptical about the organization. You just don't pour your heart into something you don't believe in.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote