HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Two

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Those of you that are constantly hounding Bryz, could you perhaps look at the NYR - MTL highlights and tell me how many of those goals Lundquist should've had. I'm not too happy with Bryz, either, at the moment, it's just that my stance on him is much less severe than some other people's, and so I'd like to see what the measuring stick for his performance is, and what goals he is "permitted" to let in.
and WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

here is the deal: if Brzy had great stats, the goals he gave up vs NASH would be written off as 'no big deal' .....

but since he has been struggling [obviously], the ONLY thing that is getting noticed nowadays are GAA / SV% / W:
'Nashville scored 4, Bryz sucks'

on the OTHER HAND, if you REALLY want to evaluate Bryz's play game to game, you have to look at completely ... watching his play, and not the puck ... something I did vs NASH. In just the 1st 5 minutes he bailed them out 4 times. the PK save late in the 2nd ... these all get lost, because people see a loss, 3 goals against, and say 'See !! we needed 4 to win !!'

i completely disagree with anybody who claims Bryz didn't well vs NASH

Old
01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
gto64dr

Sliding Down the Division

Talk about trades, make excuses, trash the defense but there is only one reason for the slide. Thats Bryz, the team is not winning with him in net. Sure we lost Pronger and the defense is not as potent as with him, but the offense is still clicking. We are getting beat because our oppositions goalies are making stops and Bryz is not. Not trashing him, but at this point he is not getting the job done, simple. We are outplaying and outchancing our opponents almost every game and are still being outscored, that lays it right sqaure in the goalies lap. Bob has earned the starting spot and Bryz should have to earn it back as the backup.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
MountainHawk

Most non-shootout wins in the NHL. Yeah, this team is awful. Maybe you meant the Penguins? That forum is down one more.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

here is the deal: if Brzy had great stats, the goals he gave up vs NASH would be written off as 'no big deal' .....

but since he has been struggling [obviously], the ONLY thing that is getting noticed nowadays are GAA / SV% / W:

on the OTHER HAND, if you REALLY want to evaluate Bryz's play game to game, you have to look at completely ... watching his play, and not the puck ... something I did vs NASH. In just the 1st 5 minutes he bailed them out 4 times. the PK save late in the 2nd ... these all get lost, because people see a loss, 3 goals against, and say 'See !! we needed 4 to win !!'

When you are touted as a "franchise goaltender" that was a horrible game.

Not that franchise G's can't have a bad game now and then but Bryz has them all the time.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Yosemite Sam

Arghh!!! Laviolette's into the Kool-Aid. Noooooooooo...

Ilya Bryzgalov is still the Philadelphia Flyers top goaltender.
Bryzgalov has a 3.07 GAA and .890 save percentage this season versus Sergei Bobrovsky's 2.42 GAA and .920 save percentage. However, that's not enough for Flyers coach Peter Laviolette to start leaning on Bobrovsky. "I don’t use numbers, you know that," Laviolette said. "Now Bryz has gotten a majority of the starts. I don’t know if that answers your question or not…Bryz was brought here to be a horse, and he’s received a majority of the games. I don’t see that changing." Bryzgalov is in the first season of a nine-year contract, so it's not that surprising that he has a ton of job security.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1308/ilya-bryzgalov

Old
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
When you are touted as a "franchise goaltender" that was a horrible game.
which goal was 'horrible' vs NASH ? please tell us.

or are you just 'anti-Bryz' ?

Old
01-16-2012, 02:51 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
and WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

Every goalie is allowed to have an off night, so yes if Bryz had stats similar to those of Thomas or Lundqvist, the game against Nashville would have been brushed off as not a big deal. But the fact of the matter is, Bryz is having "off nights" every 2 out of 3 games. He isn't getting any sympathy because he flat out hasnt been a difference maker.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think he hasn't been awful by any stretch but he hasn't been brilliant either which is exactly what he is being paid to do. We got this same level of goaltending last year with Bob and Boucher, the only difference is we saved $3 million.

So yeah, when Hank or Thomas have a bad game after playing great for a long stretch before, the mentality of "ah well, it happens" is well deserved. When Bryz allows 3+ goals again, totaling to 7 of his past 8 starts hes given up at least 3 goals, he isn't going to get any sympathy from the fans.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
which goal was 'horrible' vs NASH ? please tell us.

or are you just 'anti-Bryz' ?
How about the first (disallowed) and the third (the puck was already by him by the time he dropped into the butterfly). The second was pretty bad too.

I am anti whoever this guy is. Because it can't be who played in Phoenix.

I have no problem cheering for the guy if he starts playing good.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

The nashville game's 3 goals were NHL goals. the second goal was through a screen of 2 nashville players that were low in the slot. too low. he never saw it. the others were deflections. defense needs to help out. The only goal i saw in his last 2 losses that was supect was karlsson's 3 on 1 five hole shot that was a 3 on 1. shoulda stopped it but it was an odd man rush. and that stupid matt carle tip in on that other odd man rush was what started the come back by ottawa.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Devastate

Anyone who reads my posts knows that I mostly post about goaltending. Thatís what I know, thatís what I love, and thatís what I enjoy discussing. Everyone also knows that Bob is probably my favorite goaltender in the league, but thatís mostly due to VERY similar styles of goaltending. You would also know that with Bob being my favorite, Iíve supported Bryz.

I think Bryz is a great goalie, I loved watching him in Phoenix. Weíve also seen flashes of brilliance at times this year. First few games of the season, Both Phoenix Games, against Pittsburg he saved us in the 3rd period, first game against Ottawa.

With that being said, I DO think the 3rd goal against Nashville was weak. Was it a fluke goal? Hell yes it was, but 8 out of 10 times, that needs to be stopped. I think Bryz will tell you the same thing. The problem with Bryz, is that so far, itís been 8 out of 10 times that goals like that go in.

Iíve been a goalie for 18 years, and Iíve said to my team mates plenty of times ďThat was my faultĒ. If I was in net for that 3rd goal, I would have looked at my team mates and said ďthatís my fault.Ē Unfortunately, if he was having a great season, we chalk that up as a fluke goal, but heís not. Heís going to get crucified for each weak goal that goes in until he finds his groove.

I love our Goalie tandem, and I DO think Bryz will get it done. Thereís not an ounce of doubt in my mind.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Ummm, I will give him till mid April to get his act together(he is obviously better than how he is playing right now). Him having a good spring can put his early season problems to rest.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Anyone who reads my posts knows that I mostly post about goaltending. Thatís what I know, thatís what I love, and thatís what I enjoy discussing. Everyone also knows that Bob is probably my favorite goaltender in the league, but thatís mostly due to VERY similar styles of goaltending. You would also know that with Bob being my favorite, Iíve supported Bryz.

I think Bryz is a great goalie, I loved watching him in Phoenix. Weíve also seen flashes of brilliance at times this year. First few games of the season, Both Phoenix Games, against Pittsburg he saved us in the 3rd period, first game against Ottawa.

With that being said, I DO think the 3rd goal against Nashville was weak. Was it a fluke goal? Hell yes it was, but 8 out of 10 times, that needs to be stopped. I think Bryz will tell you the same thing. The problem with Bryz, is that so far, itís been 8 out of 10 times that goals like that go in.

Iíve been a goalie for 18 years, and Iíve said to my team mates plenty of times ďThat was my faultĒ. If I was in net for that 3rd goal, I would have looked at my team mates and said ďthatís my fault.Ē Unfortunately, if he was having a great season, we chalk that up as a fluke goal, but heís not. Heís going to get crucified for each weak goal that goes in until he finds his groove.

I love our Goalie tandem, and I DO think Bryz will get it done. Thereís not an ounce of doubt in my mind.
It's cool that your bein impartial as a big bob guy. It was a fluke goal and in terms of the 8 outta 10 times stoppin it that would fall in the fluke save category so it was what it was. tomorrows another big one so lets kick some a hole

Old
01-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Ryker

Quote:
and WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

Yeah, that's all I'm saying, just evaluate his game objectively, not because your mind is already made up. Because a lot of comments show that that is indeed the case often. And I can understand the frustration, but it doesn't lend itself to sound argumentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I'll take the bait.

Goal 1: Both goalie and skaters are blamed. Lundquist is kinda flopping around, but the skater needs to clear that puck as it's crossing the crease.

Goal 2: Shot going slightly wide, MTL player right in front of Lundquist tips it. Nothing he can do.

Goal 3: Bad defense, but a goal Lundquist saves maybe half the time.

Goal 4: Worse defense. NYR player steps up at blue line, misses. Eventually creates a situation with 2 MTL players going to the net and only 1 NYR.

In my opinion, none of these goals are directly on Lundquist, but it'd be nice if he stopped one of goal 3 or 4.

The difference is though, this is one game for Lundquist. This season, there's been too many goals where Bryz may not have been entirely at fault, but because of some of the previous goals he's given up that were almost entirely his fault, we're more negative towards him. His sub .900 save percentage doesn't help either.
Great, now I just wish people can apply the same rational analysis to situations when Bryz is in net. I can't help but laugh at situations where, say, Couturier scores and it's called a snipe or whatever superlative, and then on the other side you have "losers" such as Lecavalier scoring on Bryz from practically the same position, without any mention of how good the shot was, but only of Bryz's supposed suck factor on the play. It's getting tiring, and I don't think it shows rationality, but I guess I always have the option of staying away from the boards if it bothers me. But then, on the other hand, I also have the option to comment on it.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Bryz let's in so many goals that it's no longer a great shot that beats a great goalie; it's more like a goalie who is playing badly letting in bad goals.

01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
How about the first (disallowed) and the third (the puck was already by him by the time he dropped into the butterfly). The second was pretty bad too.

I am anti whoever this guy is. Because it can't be who played in Phoenix.

I have no problem cheering for the guy if he starts playing good.

are you SERIOUSLY telling us that he was at fault on a kicked in puck, that wasn't a goal?? really? he should have anticipated the kick ??

and a shot that 2 Flyers gave away inside the blue line that he never saw at all?

you are wrong, he was already dropping down on the puck that bounced off the guy's pants, then off the ice:

you just sound anti-Bryz based on your comments

Old
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

In my opinion, none of these goals are directly on Lundquist, but it'd be nice if he stopped one of goal 3 or 4.
that's rational. but remember HL has been with NY since 2005. I think Bryz deserves more than 30 games before being crucified.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:57 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
are you SERIOUSLY telling us that he was at fault on a kicked in puck, that wasn't a goal?? really? he should have anticipated the kick ??

and a shot that 2 Flyers gave away inside the blue line that he never saw at all?

you are wrong, he was already dropping down on the puck that bounced off the guy's pants, then off the ice:

you just sound anti-Bryz based on your comments
Are you really suggesting he should only be in position when he sees the guy ready to shoot?

If that's the case, no wonder he sucks this year.

The screened one he admitted in his interview that it wasn't tipped yet it still got by.

The last one, apparently he didn't drop fast enough.

Bob would have made the majority of those saves because he is properly positioned 99% of the time.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz let's in so many goals that it's no longer a great shot that beats a great goalie; it's more like a goalie who is playing badly letting in bad goals.
Ya honestly one should just expect Brzy to give up 3+ goals a game. And sadly it seems like some are alright with that. Ya you can blame the defense but i doubt our defense is the worse in the league. He's ranked what 45th in the league in gaa and sv%? I dont think anyone can say with a straight face that all the goalies infront of him have better defenses

Old
01-16-2012, 06:00 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yup.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
As far as the disallowed goal, the entire time the puck was at Bryz's feet and then on the side of the net. He was down protecting the lower part of the net like any goalie should be doing in that situation. Then he decided to stand up, leaving basically the entire bottom half of the net and eventually the puck went in.

Staying down when the puck is in the crease and covering the post when the puck is at the side of the net is common sense.

The fact that it was disallowed is irrelevant in this situation. It's awful goaltending.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
MountainHawk

Puck was going around the back of the net until it was kicked in. He was switching sides of the net.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ya honestly one should just expect Brzy to give up 3+ goals a game. And sadly it seems like some are alright with that. Ya you can blame the defense but i doubt our defense is the worse in the league. He's ranked what 45th in the league in gaa and sv%? I dont think anyone can say with a straight face that all the goalies infront of him have better defenses
Bryz has been objectively bad this year. These discussions and defenses are the same crap that went on when Nitty was playing like garbage and everyone wanted to defend him. Bryz can be a better goalie, but standing there and suggesting he's been solid is just folks being homers or a guy they want to root for.

Such is the way of things.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:32 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Puck was going around the back of the net until it was kicked in. He was switching sides of the net.
I just watched it again and the puck was basically at the post when Bryz got up. It was not going around the net at all. The farthest it got to was about halfway down the side of the net.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
MountainHawk

But the attacker's stick was behind the net or the defenseman. I remember thinking there was no way he was getting the puck in front without the kick.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bryz has been objectively bad this year. These discussions and defenses are the same crap that went on when Nitty was playing like garbage and everyone wanted to defend him. Bryz can be a better goalie, but standing there and suggesting he's been solid is just folks being homers or a guy they want to root for.

Such is the way of things.
The team has been objectively streaky this year. Bobrovsky has gotten better results. I wasnt here nor would i have participated in a blind defense of antero nittymaki. He is and always will be AHL core to me. Ilya Bryzgalov has been streaky (not BAD) just like the rest of our team. He needs to be better, but he also needs to be the starter and he will be based off his skill, size, experience, and his ability to grind this long ass season out where bobrovsky has proven he's a tremendous back up. just relax. you'll see.

Closed Thread