HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the TWC/MSG thing screwing anyone else?

Old
01-04-2012, 02:18 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

vCash: 500
Is the TWC/MSG thing screwing anyone else?

Hello all,

I have Time Warner Cable. Unfortunately. They are awful. Everything about them is awful. But I literally cannot have anything in my building. No other company will provide cable service in my neighborhood, and my landlord says no dishes, for whatever reason.

I look like this:

Anyone else?

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:20 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

I would if I was still at college. That sucks for you

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:24 AM
guyincognito

Every provider sucks, some more than others. TWC is brutal but I would never do business with Verizon again, for anything. Doesn't even have anything to do with FiOS.

Screw em both, I'll watch on my laptop until they figure it out. The funny thing is that the games are shown in the mosiac box on CI, for whoever has it.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Bleedred
Dainius Zubrus

Hopefully if more people threaten to drop them they will get moving with it.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Fayne Staley
Sather is better

I'm on the same boat. Live in Queens. Fios not available. DirectTv is, but is it really worth it to switch? TWC provides me with 3 services. I blame this more on Dolan and MSG. He pulled the same crap last year with Dish network and for awhile refused to allow Fios to broadcast in HD.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

A LOT of rangers fans are getting ****ed by this crap (since TWC is the only service provider in many manhattan buildings)

Thread's here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1065337

I practically live next to MSG (i'm on 19th street) and won't be able to watch the games on TV. Ridiculous.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:52 AM
GDDevils

Getting screwed over as well. Not that it matters as much since most devils games get blacked out for me anyway. I've watched better than half of this season online.

I think both sides are to blame but it really annoys me that TWC is doing this for what amounts to pennies per customer. They force you to pay extra for crap stations that you don't want then pull this crap with the ones you do.

Figure i'll just wait it out. It should be settled sooner or later. I did sign the MSG petition but that's about all I'm going to do. I enjoy my RR too much and there aren't a lot of other options where I'm at.

GDDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:15 AM
HeliDevil
Legend

and you can't even get center ice cause you're in the area and won't get the local teams. that blows. i have no idea why twc did this. glad i have directv - sometimes it's best to be far away from the team you love.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:11 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Every provider sucks, some more than others. TWC is brutal but I would never do business with Verizon again, for anything. Doesn't even have anything to do with FiOS.

Screw em both, I'll watch on my laptop until they figure it out. The funny thing is that the games are shown in the mosiac box on CI, for whoever has it.
I've had nothing but problems with Fios when it comes to actually getting their product installed. When I moved into my off-campus apartment at college, it took three days for them to come to actually install cable, and another three days to do the job. It was pathetic.

Then recently I purchased a new flatscreen so when after I got an HD box, it took them several hours to actually send the signal.

However, after getting the product installed, I've never had a problem. Clear picture, clear sound, boxes still work. Definitely prefer them to any other cable option.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
celebrate my minions

vCash: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Hello all,

I have Time Warner Cable. Unfortunately. They are awful. Everything about them is awful. But I literally cannot have anything in my building. No other company will provide cable service in my neighborhood, and my landlord says no dishes, for whatever reason.

I look like this:

Anyone else?
He'll never know...

http://www.slashgear.com/crazy-satel...lord-07200645/

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...eo/318693.html

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:30 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Directv is the best provider out there.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Hello all,

I look like this:

Anyone else?
Let me guess. Even if you did have a south facing apartment, your landlord won't allow any satellite dishes on his building. And even if he did, you have to get DirecTV only, because DishNetwork dropped MSG in a dispute last fall. And you can't get a triple play from a satellite provider either.

And they probably have Verizon Fios in the ground or on telephone poles, but they have to get the landlord's permission to prewire the entire building. So you're stuck with Time Warner or nothing else.

Looks like you're on the same boat as my neighbor who had DishNetwork and had to watch crappy online feeds when they dropped (and still don't have) MSG over a year ago.

Man, you're screwed.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Devils Dominion
Sign Marty!

At least you get to see tonight's game.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
A LOT of rangers fans are getting ****ed by this crap (since TWC is the only service provider in many manhattan buildings)

Thread's here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1065337

I practically live next to MSG (i'm on 19th street) and won't be able to watch the games on TV. Ridiculous.
What about the bars in the city....don't tell me they can't show Ranger games ?? They must be furious ?

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARGSY View Post
What about the bars in the city....don't tell me they can't show Ranger games ?? They must be furious ?
If the bar has TWC, they're SOL.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

On the Sabres board they have a thread for this too. A lot of them are getting screwed over as well.

I'm a bit more fortunate where I am, as my area has the option switch to DirecTV if no resolution is made soon. I'm figuring on waiting 2 weeks before really making a decision to switch providers to see if any progress is made between TWC and MSG.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
goalvalchuk17

im not screwed by it but the ads were getting really annoying

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Richer 44

Maybe there is someone nice enough to allow you to access their slingbox so you can watch games. I personally do not have one but if I did I would offer it up until people got some resolution.

Just a thought

Richer 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
If the bar has TWC, they're SOL.
By the way, your avatar is super dooooshy !!

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
gluvhand

Saw a link somewhere. Will try to find it. MSG is actually holding viewing parties in TWC areas for Knick, Ranger, and Devils games complete with food, prizes, guests. The irony is, obviously, that the provider has to be either DirecTV or Verizon, who they were killing in the media up until 2 weeks ago.
edit-here it is

http://keepmsg.com/viewingparties/viewing_parties.html

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Okay, so I just got back from Florida vacation and realized that MSG channels are removed (bonus douchebagger points for moving NHL Network into MSG's former channel number).

I DONT expect this to last long given that MSG carries Rangers and Knicks games (I'm not naive enough to think they give a ratz azz about the Devils or Islanders), but it's annoying for now. Looks like BG will be watching Devils games at Manhattan bars for the next few weeks.

Maybe we could turn this into a "NYC Devil's Fans Meetup" or something. Anyone else here live in Manhattan and in the same boat? Blondies has great chicken wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
MSG is actually holding viewing parties in TWC areas for Knick, Ranger, and Devils games complete with food, prizes, guests. The irony is, obviously, that the provider has to be either DirecTV or Verizon, who they were killing in the media up until 2 weeks ago.
And while the Ranger's viewing parties are literally stumbling distance from my apartment, the Devils viewing parties are in Paramus?!?!

Given the bulk of people affected by this will clearly live in NYC, WTH would you randomly host the Devil's viewing parties at some bar out in Paramus.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

one plus of watching everything on gamecenter. it's actually harder for me to watch games on versus/nashville and carolina games than it is everything else.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
And while the Ranger's viewing parties are literally stumbling distance from my apartment, the Devils viewing parties are in Paramus?!?!

Given the bulk of people affected by this will clearly live in NYC, WTH would you randomly host the Devil's viewing parties at some bar out in Paramus.
Because the Rangers are from NY and the Devils are from NJ?

If you host a Devils viewing party in NY, the TWC holding fans from NJ would would be pissed.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Because the Rangers are from NY and the Devils are from NJ?

If you host a Devils viewing party in NY, the TWC holding fans from NJ would would be pissed.
Well there's a zillion more "TWC holding Devils fans" in NYC than in NJ, where IIRC only Bergen County has some TWC, and given the fact that the ENTIRE point of this is so that fans can actually see the games in the first place you'd think they'd host it in NYC, where the bulk of the affected people live.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:43 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

I just called TWC and cancelled my $6/month sports tier, given the fact that the ONLY reason I have it is to watch NHL Network, so if you're paying that $6 for that reason, you should call and cancel it since it's free now.