HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2012, 10:12 PM
  #401
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Faksa is as slow as cold molasses going up a hill.

Do not want.
Where did you see/hear this?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
01-31-2012, 11:36 PM
  #402
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Faksa is as slow as cold molasses going up a hill.

Do not want.
I guess you were watching the same WJC's that I did and Faksa looked like he was in over is head.

S Bah is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 11:58 PM
  #403
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I guess you were watching the same WJC's that I did and Faksa looked like he was in over is head.
Galchenyuk had a **** Ivan Hlinka too. I would still take him with the 5th pick if he comes back to form in his return.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 07:24 AM
  #404
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,158
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Where did you see/hear this?
WJC's.

I noted him as a top prospect going into the tournament. He was slow skating, slow decision-making, was behind the play and was generally unimpressive.

One tournament doesn't make a player, I know that as well as anyone, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
  #405
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
People need to stop obsessing with drafting a center. If Timmins was as obsessed we'd end up with another Fischer situation. Draft the BPA in the 1st round, then draft for need later on.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
  #406
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
People need to stop obsessing with drafting a center. If Timmins was as obsessed we'd end up with another Fischer situation. Draft the BPA in the 1st round, then draft for need later on.
This year the Habs are in a great position( draft wise) to do something good. Trade up and draft Grigorenko. They traded up to get Tinordi they better trade up to get Grigorenko. They shouldn't let him pass and drafting another defenceman in the 1st round would be ******** since we already have good depth and young D's on the actual roster with Emelin, Diaz, Subban, Weber

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
  #407
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Well, as of right now we'd have the 6th pick, which should be good for Galchenyuk, otherwise I would love to get my hands on Matthew Dumba

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 08:21 AM
  #408
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
This year the Habs are in a great position( draft wise) to do something good. Trade up and draft Grigorenko. They traded up to get Tinordi they better trade up to get Grigorenko. They shouldn't let him pass and drafting another defenceman in the 1st round would be ******** since we already have good depth and young D's on the actual roster with Emelin, Diaz, Subban, Weber
I agree we should do everything possible to trade up.

However its gonna cost a hell of a lot more to trade up from 6 to 2, than it did to trade from 27 to 22.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
  #409
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
This year the Habs are in a great position( draft wise) to do something good. Trade up and draft Grigorenko. They traded up to get Tinordi they better trade up to get Grigorenko. They shouldn't let him pass and drafting another defenceman in the 1st round would be ******** since we already have good depth and young D's on the actual roster with Emelin, Diaz, Subban, Weber
I'm not sold on Grigorenko. Yakupov I think is a potential franchise player like a Parise. Grigorenko has too much Semin/Filatov/Zherdev in him.

At the end of the day it depends on the price also.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 08:32 AM
  #410
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I guess you were watching the same WJC's that I did and Faksa looked like he was in over is head.
As I mentioned in reply to the identical post earlier, the WJC's were a very poor venue to judge Faksa. Confirmed he was extremely ill. I watched too and saw how slow he looked and wondered what was wrong as that's NOT the skater we see in Kitchener each game.

Confirmed after the fact, he was very sick and tried to play through it. This isn't to make excuses, but more to caution people not to judge on such limited exposure. Drafting (or not drafting) based on two or three viewings is a fool's game.

Having said that, I've maintained all along that I don't take Faksa in the top-10. He's dynamic and has great upside, but he's not a sure-fire 1st liner and that's what I want with that high a pick. In the 10-20 range he's a reasonable gamble. After 20, he's probably a steal.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
  #411
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm not sold on Grigorenko. Yakupov I think is a potential franchise player like a Parise. Grigorenko has too much Semin/Filatov/Zherdev in him.

At the end of the day it depends on the price also.
Huh ? How do you see Filatov and Semin in him ? He is great (Especially at his young age) and will for sure be at least a Number 2 center if not number 1. He protects the puck well and has all the tools to succeed.

Richiebottles is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
  #412
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm not sold on Grigorenko. Yakupov I think is a potential franchise player like a Parise. Grigorenko has too much Semin/Filatov/Zherdev in him.

At the end of the day it depends on the price also.
Have you seen him play?

He looks like Malkin.

These boards

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
  #413
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lacroix View Post
Huh ? How do you see Filatov and Semin in him ? He is great (Especially at his young age) and will for sure be at least a Number 2 center if not number 1. He protects the puck well and has all the tools to succeed.
He is similar to Semin in that he is very slick with the puck but disinterested without it...Filatov is even worse.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
  #414
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Have you seen him play?

He looks like Malkin.

These boards
Yes, seen him play a lot.

He is not on Malkin's level.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
  #415
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yes, seen him play a lot.

He is not on Malkin's level.
I'm pretty sure scouts didn't think Malkin was of Malkin's level in 2003-2004.

Not that I meant he's of that level, but his playing style is much closer to someone like Malkin, Lecavalier and players like that than it is to Zherdev or Filatov.

That's mind-boggling.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 09:58 AM
  #416
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
People need to stop obsessing with drafting a center. If Timmins was as obsessed we'd end up with another Fischer situation. Draft the BPA in the 1st round, then draft for need later on.
Exactly this. Get the impression that there are people here who actually advocate drafting the best centre that is at least 6"2 available at the point we pick. That is potentially horrendous.

Corncob is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
  #417
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Grigorenko reminds me more of Thornton than of Malkin to be honest, in terms of style of play.

That said, he'd be great to have.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
  #418
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'm pretty sure scouts didn't think Malkin was of Malkin's level in 2003-2004.

Not that I meant he's of that level, but his playing style is much closer to someone like Malkin, Lecavalier and players like that than it is to Zherdev or Filatov.

That's mind-boggling.
Scouts had Malkin almost at Ovechkin's level when he was in the draft.

You believe what you want to believe, but from what I have seen and scouts I have spoken to they don't believe Grigorenko will be a franchise player nor has the fire in his belly to do it.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
  #419
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Grigorenko reminds me more of Thornton than of Malkin to be honest, in terms of style of play.

That said, he'd be great to have.
Not saying I wouldn't want him...just not at the price of paying like we are getting Lindros.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
  #420
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/52702624/1

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
  #421
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Last night's game against Buffalo emphasized the Habs need for a big center,Gaustad ate up the ice in front of Carey all night.(1 goal 2assists)take him out of the equation with either a nasty Dman to clear big bodies like him or a center that can put him on the defensive.Plekanec rarely has a bad game but add Gomez(Poison to his line)and he has two jobs to do.

S Bah is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
  #422
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Last night's game against Buffalo emphasized the Habs need for a big center,Gaustad ate up the ice in front of Carey all night.(1 goal 2assists)take him out of the equation with either a nasty Dman to clear big bodies like him or a center that can put him on the defensive.Plekanec rarely has a bad game but add Gomez(Poison to his line)and he has two jobs to do.
Gaustad has 13 points on the year and all 3 of his points were nothing too creative. I wouldn't spend the bank on him.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
  #423
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Scouts had Malkin almost at Ovechkin's level when he was in the draft.

You believe what you want to believe, but from what I have seen and scouts I have spoken to they don't believe Grigorenko will be a franchise player nor has the fire in his belly to do it.
You're saying scouts thought Malkin would be arguably the best player in the NHL in his draft year? Doubt it.

So people put him 2nd overall simply because?


Em Ancien is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
  #424
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
You're saying scouts thought Malkin would be arguably the best player in the NHL in his draft year? Doubt it.

So people put him 2nd overall simply because?

Because Ovechkin was #1...maybe you heard of him, the guy that scored 50 goals 4 times in his first 5 years.

Malkin would have gone #1 ahead of anybody not named Crosby or Ovechkin.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
  #425
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Because Ovechkin was #1...maybe you heard of him, the guy that scored 50 goals 4 times in his first 5 years.

Malkin would have gone #1 ahead of anybody not named Crosby or Ovechkin.
Yes, like Van Riemsdyk would've went #1 had Kane not been there. What's your point?

No one expected that of Malkin, so saying a prospect, right now, doesn't look like the next big thing in hockey is about as boneheaded as can be. He's clearly #2 on most lists because he's considered above and beyond a potential franchise player, not because people are munching on Roy's ****.

Em Ancien is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.