HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Yes, like Van Riemsdyk would've went #1 had Kane not been there. What's your point?

No one expected that of Malkin, so saying a prospect, right now, doesn't look like the next big thing in hockey is about as boneheaded as can be. He's clearly #2 on most lists because he's considered above and beyond a potential franchise player, not because people are munching on Roy's ****.
JVR wasn't the prospect Malkin was, neither was Kane. That draft wasn't anything close to the year Ovechkin and Malkin went 1 and 2.

Just because somebody goes or is slated to go 1 or 2 doesn't make him a potential franchise player. Some years the draft is weak and you get a Phillips, Redden or whoever and other years there are Crosbys Malkins and Ovechkins.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Roulin

Does anyone have an opinion about Shawinigan overager (Feb 1993) Anton Zlobin? I've seen a few reports about Bournival and Ellis recently, hoping some of you can help.

Old
02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
JVR wasn't the prospect Malkin was, neither was Kane. That draft wasn't anything close to the year Ovechkin and Malkin went 1 and 2.

Just because somebody goes or is slated to go 1 or 2 doesn't make him a potential franchise player. Some years the draft is weak and you get a Phillips, Redden or whoever and other years there are Crosbys Malkins and Ovechkins.
Except both Grigorenko and Yakupov are considered potential franchise players...???

I really don't understand where you're going with this.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
poetryinmotion

This draft has 2 surefire franchise players in Yakupov and Grigorenko, and 1 potential-almost-sure franchise player in Galchenyuk. That's my opinion of course, but I don't think it's wrong.

If we are able to draft one of those guys, I will say we succesfully tanked no matter where we draft (in Galchenyuk's case, because he might fall to #5 exactly where we are picking atm).

Old
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about Shawinigan overager (Feb 1993) Anton Zlobin? I've seen a few reports about Bournival and Ellis recently, hoping some of you can help.
He is a one dimensional finisher type. Pretty good junior player, not a huge NHL prospect but worth a look.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
This draft has 2 surefire franchise players in Yakupov and Grigorenko, and 1 potential-almost-sure franchise player in Galchenyuk. That's my opinion of course, but I don't think it's wrong.

If we are able to draft one of those guys, I will say we succesfully tanked no matter where we draft (in Galchenyuk's case, because he might fall to #5 exactly where we are picking atm).
Galchenyuk? Over Murray, Dumba or Forsberg? You're dreaming here.

I'm really not sold on him. Not only have he been injured for the whole season, but he also played with the consensus N.1 prospect last season, which most probably helped increasing his stats.

He also didn't have "great" stats last season. 83 points in 68 games as a 16 years old is good, obviously, but just how much of this production is in direct link with Yakupov? And how is 83 points in 68 games screams "franchise player" to you? And don't forget; he haven't played a single game this season, which means an entire season setback during his draft year...

I really doubt he goes in the top 5, and I don't want the Habs to take a risk on a guy like that in the top 10. Bottom line, if we end up picking 5th, I much rather go after a guy like Dumba, trade up or even trade down instead of taking a chance on him.

Then again, all I know about Galchenyuk is his stats sheet. I'm not a huge junior hockey follower ever since Crosby got drafted in 05, so maybe some "pros" around here can tell me more about him.

In my opinion, the Habs should make the push for Grigorenko, either by selling at the deadline (i.e. tanking the remaining of the season) or trading up. This is our chance at drafting an impact player, and I believe taking Galchenyuk in the top 5 would be a mistake.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Galchenyuk? Over Murray, Dumba or Forsberg? You're dreaming here.

I'm really not sold on him. Not only have he been injured for the whole season, but he also played with the consensus N.1 prospect last season, which most probably helped increasing his stats.

He also didn't have "great" stats last season. 83 points in 68 games as a 16 years old is good, obviously, but just how much of this production is in direct link with Yakupov? And how is 83 points in 68 games screams "franchise player" to you? And don't forget; he haven't played a single game this season, which means an entire season setback during his draft year...

I really doubt he goes in the top 5, and I don't want the Habs to take a risk on a guy like that in the top 10. Bottom line, if we end up picking 5th, I much rather go after a guy like Dumba, trade up or even trade down instead of taking a chance on him.

Then again, all I know about Galchenyuk is his stats sheet. I'm not a huge junior hockey follower ever since Crosby got drafted in 05, so maybe some "pros" around here can tell me more about him.

In my opinion, the Habs should make the push for Grigorenko, either by selling at the deadline (i.e. tanking the remaining of the season) or trading up. This is our chance at drafting an impact player, and I believe taking Galchenyuk in the top 5 would be a mistake.
83 pts in 68 games was the best stats for a 1994 birthdate in the entire OHL... Best of any 16 year old in the league, so yes, they were great stats.

Secondly the reports of scouts are that he created as much for Yakupov as Yakupov created for him. I tend to agree from what I've seen, he's incredibly talented in games I saw last season. I even felt they were contenders to go 1-2 in the draft (that was before I saw Grigorenko).

Third its not like he came out of nowhere. He's been a highly ranked player for a long time. He was the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft as a 16 year old after putting up great stats in his junior league and that was before he ever played with Yakupov.

My only concern with him is his knee, but if that checks out, I have absolutely no problem stating he's the 3rd best forward in this draft. None at all. And if I were the Habs I'd take him as high as 3rd overall. He's a stud. Grigorenko is better, but its not by much.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
83 pts in 68 games was the best stats for a 1994 birthdate in the entire OHL... Best of any 16 year old in the league, so yes, they were great stats.
I know they are, but is it enough to justify taking him in the top 5, even though he haven't played a single game as a 17 years old? It's still a huge risk.

Outside the top 10, sure, go for it. Top 5? Seems like a high risk, high reward type of guy.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Tribu

CHL top prospects game tonight on Sportsnet. Opportunity for us to see Grigorenko, Dumba, Murray, Gaunce, etc in action

Old
02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
He is a one dimensional finisher type. Pretty good junior player, not a huge NHL prospect but worth a look.
Bang on, you just don't see him out there and boom he get a scoring chance and its in. has nhl shot but he's inconsistency and not real intense. 30+ goal scorer but has been playing on shawinigan 3rd line recently. Doubt he get pick this year

Old
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
I know they are, but is it enough to justify taking him in the top 5, even though he haven't played a single game as a 17 years old? It's still a huge risk.

Outside the top 10, sure, go for it. Top 5? Seems like a high risk, high reward type of guy.
He was better as a 16 year old than Brett Connolly.

Brett Connolly was taken 6th overall and I don't think Tampa regrets it (though they might like Skinner, but thats about it).

Firstly Galchenyuk might play in March and the OHL playoffs which is a lot more than Connolly did.
Secondly, Id have my doctors take a long hard look at Galchenyuk's knee and do every test possible, If he's healthy, I grab him as the third forward off the board. Hes that good.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 02-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old
02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Fozz

The 2004 draft was well publicized for having 2 potential franchise players in Ovechkin and Malkin. Yes, he was expected to be a dominant player before he was drafted.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:31 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
The 2004 draft was well publicized for having 2 potential franchise players in Ovechkin and Malkin. Yes, he was expected to be a dominant player before he was drafted.
I think Ovechkin was hyped as a generational talent. In any case, someone who would compete with Crosby for that title.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Beakermania*

You are right, Ovechkin was seen as the potential generational talent.

Malkin was seen as the clear undisputed #2, but not as good as Ovy.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Before the season , some scouts though Galchenyuk could overtake Yakupov/Grigorenko at #1. he's that good.

about tonight for the top prospect game, im more interested in watching lesser know prospects than the Grigo, Dumba & Murray. Im going to watch closely Tom Wilson, Tim Bozon, Danill Zharkov, Branden Troock, Matt Finn, Griffin Reinhart & Dalton Thrower

Also will keep an eye on the Q guys. mostly Martin Frk and Dillon Fournier.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stats/player.php?id=438

http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stats/player.php?id=689

Those are two guys I'd like us to look at in the mid to late rounds if we have extra picks.

Both have size and skill and play with an edge.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Before the season , some scouts though Galchenyuk could overtake Yakupov/Grigorenko at #1. he's that good.

about tonight for the top prospect game, im more interested in watching lesser know prospects than the Grigo, Dumba & Murray. Im going to watch closely Tom Wilson, Tim Bozon, Danill Zharkov, Branden Troock, Matt Finn, Griffin Reinhart & Dalton Thrower

Also will keep an eye on the Q guys. mostly Martin Frk and Dillon Fournier.
I am exited to see Wilson. He seems like a guy that could really fit well with Patches,Cole,Bourque and all the other big guys on our team... Bozon is intriguing as well....

Old
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Hockey Lobby updated mock draft: CHL Top Prospect Game Edition

Here's the top 3:

1. Columbus: Struggling franchise needs stability at center with the most complete player in the draft.
C/RW Mikhail GRIGORENKO (6’2 – 192 lbs) Quebec Remparts - QMJHL

2. Edmonton: Youth is the future in Edmonton, Yakupov is the missing piece of the puzzle.
RW Nail YAKUPOV (5’10 – 170 lbs) Sarnia Sting - OHL

3. Anaheim: With Selanne and Koivu at the end of their career, Forsberg will bring a new European offense to the RPG(Ryan-Perry-Getzlaf) line.
LW Filip FORSBERG (6’0 – 176 lbs) Leksand - SEL

Link to full mock draft: http://hockeylobby.blogspot.com/

Feel free to comment.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

Here's the top 3:

1. Columbus: Struggling franchise needs stability at center with the most complete player in the draft.
C/RW Mikhail GRIGORENKO (62 192 lbs) Quebec Remparts - QMJHL

2. Edmonton: Youth is the future in Edmonton, Yakupov is the missing piece of the puzzle.
RW Nail YAKUPOV (510 170 lbs) Sarnia Sting - OHL

3. Anaheim: With Selanne and Koivu at the end of their career, Forsberg will bring a new European offense to the RPG(Ryan-Perry-Getzlaf) line.
LW Filip FORSBERG (60 176 lbs) Leksand - SEL

Feel free to comment.
Nice Draft... I'd be ecstatic with Galchenyuk.

How did Faksa fall out of the first round though?

Old
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Nice Draft... I'd be ecstatic with Galchenyuk.

How did Faksa fall out of the first round though?
My bad, he was there on the earlier mock draft, but somehow, I've managed to forget to put him in. I'll change it later.

Thanks

Old
02-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Et le But

The problem with Galcheyuk is that missing a year at that age cannot be stated enough. Even if his knee is 100%, we have no idea how this will impact him. Being an amazing talent for a 16 year old doesn't mean anything if suddenly you cannot physically compete with your peers or your decision making lags one step behind. It's not unheard of for talent to just stop developing entirely through bad luck, especially for under 18s.

I'd by more than happy to see the Habs draft Galchenyuk, because on paper he has what it takes to be everything we need. But there's nothing safe about picking him, even if doctors can assure the knee is 100%.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stats/player.php?id=438

http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stats/player.php?id=689

Those are two guys I'd like us to look at in the mid to late rounds if we have extra picks.

Both have size and skill and play with an edge.
I like both guys but i wont waste a draft pick on any of those two. more as camp invitee or sign them as FA

Old
02-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The problem with Galcheyuk is that missing a year at that age cannot be stated enough. Even if his knee is 100%, we have no idea how this will impact him. Being an amazing talent for a 16 year old doesn't mean anything if suddenly you cannot physically compete with your peers or your decision making lags one step behind. It's not unheard of for talent to just stop developing entirely through bad luck, especially for under 18s.

I'd by more than happy to see the Habs draft Galchenyuk, because on paper he has what it takes to be everything we need. But there's nothing safe about picking him, even if doctors can assure the knee is 100%.
I agree its not safe... but this team needs a franchise centre. Does anyone think that Gaunce or Faksa has that ability? I like them enough, but they arent in Galchenyuk's league when it comes to that comparison.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

Here's the top 3:

C/RW Mikhail GRIGORENKO (62 192 lbs) Quebec Remparts - QMJHL

RW Nail YAKUPOV (510 170 lbs) Sarnia Sting - OHL

LW Filip FORSBERG (60 176 lbs) Leksand - SEL

Feel free to comment.
Good job. I would recommend not using hockeydb for height and weight... They are always far behind. Use the CHL network for CHL players and eliteprospects.com for Euros. Just my 2 cents.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

It might not be safe but the opposite could very well be true and his injury might allow him to be available where he would have no reason to be if he had played all year. If a team gets a top-3 talent with the #7 or #8 pick and he makes a full recovery, you have a steal of a pick.

Closed Thread